Anti-Lock Light #1774659
03/08/15 06:10 AM
03/08/15 06:10 AM
San Diego
Instigate Offline OP
Instigate  Offline OP

San Diego
89 D150 318 TBI 2wd automatic

The Anti-Lock light has been on since my grandfather left it to me years ago. Book just says it means service. Anything I can do or check? Or I just need to bring it to someone with the right diag tool to communicate with it?

Re: Anti-Lock Light [Re: Instigate] #1774660
03/08/15 10:27 AM
03/08/15 10:27 AM
bethlehem pa
M
mikemee1331 Offline
master
mikemee1331  Offline
master
M

bethlehem pa
Quote:

The Anti-Lock light has been on since my grandfather left it to me years ago. Book just says it means service. Anything I can do or check? Or I just need to bring it to someone with the right diag tool to communicate with it?

the first thing you can do without spending money is clean off the sensors and make sure your wiring is solid. I have to do this to my son's car when it gets warmer. I don't know exactly where the sensors are on your truck but they will be behind the brake backing plate. pull each one off and clean with a wire brush. look on YouTube for a 'how to'.

Re: Anti-Lock Light [Re: Instigate] #1774661
03/08/15 11:32 AM
03/08/15 11:32 AM
Maryland
GO_Fish Offline
master
GO_Fish  Offline
master

Maryland
'89 would have been very early for Mopar ABS, and they had issues. check for clean sensors first. But I had a '90 Dakota that I bought new, and I think it was recalled 3 times for rear wheel ABS problems. The first was the harness connectors under the truck were not waterproof, and they were upgraded to a different style. The second and third trips back were because the ABS "brain" failed (under the passenger side dash)was upgraded to a new part number each time. You'll need to find a shop manual, you'd install a temporary ground lead on the brain and it would give you a code. The brain upgrades may have just been warranty work, not a recall. Since you have a Ram, not all of this may apply, but it might since they were about the same time frame.

Thinking back, you may not find any sensors to clean, because your tone rings are probably not at the rear wheels. There is probably an electrical harness running to the top of your differential, and the sensor is probably inside the differential, reading a tone ring on the side of the ring gear. The sensor may be able to be replaced from the outside without opening the rear differential, just a guess.

Last edited by GO_Fish; 03/08/15 11:41 AM.

Scott B. "I'm a self-made man... I started with nothing, and I still have most of it!" 68 360 rusty B'cuda 'vert (GO Fish)13.59@ 98.72 mph 69 340 GTS stock 14.18@ 95.60 mph 01 5.9L Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 01 3.5L 300M 16.23@ 86.97 mph
Re: Anti-Lock Light [Re: GO_Fish] #1774662
03/08/15 04:09 PM
03/08/15 04:09 PM
San Diego
Instigate Offline OP
Instigate  Offline OP

San Diego
Quote:

'89 would have been very early for Mopar ABS, and they had issues. check for clean sensors first. But I had a '90 Dakota that I bought new, and I think it was recalled 3 times for rear wheel ABS problems. The first was the harness connectors under the truck were not waterproof, and they were upgraded to a different style. The second and third trips back were because the ABS "brain" failed (under the passenger side dash)was upgraded to a new part number each time. You'll need to find a shop manual, you'd install a temporary ground lead on the brain and it would give you a code. The brain upgrades may have just been warranty work, not a recall. Since you have a Ram, not all of this may apply, but it might since they were about the same time frame.

Thinking back, you may not find any sensors to clean, because your tone rings are probably not at the rear wheels. There is probably an electrical harness running to the top of your differential, and the sensor is probably inside the differential, reading a tone ring on the side of the ring gear. The sensor may be able to be replaced from the outside without opening the rear differential, just a guess.

Quote:

Quote:

the first thing you can do without spending money is clean off the sensors and make sure your wiring is solid. I have to do this to my son's car when it gets warmer. I don't know exactly where the sensors are on your truck but they will be behind the brake backing plate. pull each one off and clean with a wire brush. look on YouTube for a 'how to'.

Ya I assume that's how the setup is. Thanks.

Most of the guys at ram charger central said to just unplug the bulb or ABS module.

Last edited by Instigate; 03/08/15 04:09 PM.
Re: Anti-Lock Light [Re: mikemee1331] #1774663
03/24/15 02:47 PM
03/24/15 02:47 PM
bethlehem pa
M
mikemee1331 Offline
master
mikemee1331  Offline
master
M

bethlehem pa
Quote:

Quote:

FYI - cleaning them took care of my problem. they were pretty rusty. just took them off cleaned them with a wire wheel.