Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
Quote:

Quote:

No love for the A body

That's because they are UGLY

Pot calling kettle ...

They say there are no such thing as a stupid question.
They say there is always the exception that proves the rule.
Don't be the exception.
Re: XV level II front suspension. Who is using it? [Re: jcc] #1770383
03/19/15 12:10 AM
03/19/15 12:10 AM
Utah and Alaska
astjp2 Offline
master
astjp2  Offline
master

Utah and Alaska
Quote:

I'm not buying the heims rationalization. I don't like mid unsupported bends in tubing, I don't like tube braces that do not share a node at their termination, I don't see why the relatively thin sheet metal inner fender needs support 4+" above a the nearest suspension point, I don't know how much stiffness an attachment to the firewall provides mid center panel, and I haven't needed to see any numbers/calcs/testing to make the above claims. Haven't heard that torque boxes are little improvement before, which I agree with totally and have postulated for years once frame connectors are installed. But people like to add stuff under the heading "it can't hurt".

Tell that to tube and fabric aircraft manufacturers or sheetmetal aircraft builders who use tubing engine mounts, they attach tubing to sheetmetal that is only .032-.040 thick and it holds up to way more torsional stresses from a propeller or turbine, centrifugal force from a propeller on a tubing engine mount that is .058 thick is tremendous on a 520 cubic inch 6 cylinder engine. Think of the power pulse from a 5.5" diameter piston. Granted its only 2700 rpms but it also puts out about 800 ftlbs of torque in a 260 hp engine. Put a few bends in the sheetmetal where the mount bolts to it and its rigid. Tim

1941 Taylorcraft
1968 Charger
1994 Wrangler
1998 Wrangler
2008 Kia Rio
2017 Jetta

I didn't do 4 years and 9 months of Graduate School to be called Mister!
Re: XV level II front suspension. Who is using it? [Re: astjp2] #1770384
03/19/15 01:01 AM
03/19/15 01:01 AM
Nebraska
72Swinger Offline
master
72Swinger  Offline
master

Nebraska
Quote:

Quote:

No love for the A body

very true, especially from the rear...

Mopar to the bone!!!
Re: XV level II front suspension. Who is using it? [Re: jvike] #1770385
03/19/15 08:19 AM
03/19/15 08:19 AM
NY
X
XVracing Offline
XVracing  Offline
X

NY
Quote:

Quote:

Chris -- Does the E-body upper brace you've picture fit with a SB factory 6-pack setup (incldg the factory air cleaner base)?

Also, what's the weight of the upper brace? (Adding more weight to the car, in particular the front end, is a concern to me.)

I have a 340 (4bbl) and had to modify the XV engine brace to make it fit around the distributor. Easy fix.

Joakim,thanks for posting that....

CR

Re: XV level II front suspension. Who is using it? [Re: 72Swinger] #1770386
03/19/15 12:27 PM
03/19/15 12:27 PM
Escondido CA USA
Tomswheels Offline
enthusiast
Tomswheels  Offline
enthusiast

Escondido CA USA
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

No love for the A body

8464812-image.jpg (301 downloads)
Re: XV level II front suspension. Who is using it? [Re: Tomswheels] #1770387
03/19/15 03:16 PM
03/19/15 03:16 PM
Nebraska
72Swinger Offline
master
72Swinger  Offline
master

Nebraska
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

No love for the A body

Tom I was pointing out that the rear is usually all the B&E body guys get to see.....

Mopar to the bone!!!
Re: XV level II front suspension. Who is using it? [Re: 72Swinger] #1770388
03/19/15 07:13 PM
03/19/15 07:13 PM
Irving, TX
feets Offline
Senior Management
feets  Offline
Senior Management

Irving, TX
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

No love for the A body

Tom I was pointing out that the rear is usually all the B&E body guys get to see sticking out of a guard rail.....

We are brothers and sisters doing time on the planet for better or worse. I'll take the better, if you don't mind.
- Stu Harmon
Re: XV level II front suspension. Who is using it? [Re: 72Swinger] #1770389
03/20/15 12:24 AM
03/20/15 12:24 AM
Escondido CA USA
Tomswheels Offline
enthusiast
Tomswheels  Offline
enthusiast

Escondido CA USA
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

No love for the A body

Tom I was pointing out that the rear is usually all the B&E body guys get to see.....

Ooh I get it now...

Re: XV level II front suspension. Who is using it? [Re: astjp2] #1770390
03/20/15 12:10 PM
03/20/15 12:10 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Quote:

Quote:

I'm not buying the heims rationalization. I don't like mid unsupported bends in tubing, I don't like tube braces that do not share a node at their termination, I don't see why the relatively thin sheet metal inner fender needs support 4+" above a the nearest suspension point, I don't know how much stiffness an attachment to the firewall provides mid center panel, and I haven't needed to see any numbers/calcs/testing to make the above claims. Haven't heard that torque boxes are little improvement before, which I agree with totally and have postulated for years once frame connectors are installed. But people like to add stuff under the heading "it can't hurt".

Tell that to tube and fabric aircraft manufacturers or sheetmetal aircraft builders who use tubing engine mounts, they attach tubing to sheetmetal that is only .032-.040 thick and it holds up to way more torsional stresses from a propeller or turbine, centrifugal force from a propeller on a tubing engine mount that is .058 thick is tremendous on a 520 cubic inch 6 cylinder engine. Think of the power pulse from a 5.5" diameter piston. Granted its only 2700 rpms but it also puts out about 800 ftlbs of torque in a 260 hp engine. Put a few bends in the sheetmetal where the mount bolts to it and its rigid. Tim

I think You missed the point, not sure your example is valid, torsional stresses from suspension loads when you talking as one member pointed out 9800lbs per degree are a lot higher then your example. Not sure anybody drops the clutch at 5K on an airplane. The problem with the pictured solution is for one, where the brace connects to the firewall, I bet one can almost by hand bend the sheet metal, but it the brace was moved up only say 4"?, it would near a 90 degree bend and be magnitudes stiffer. Nobody sees this? On the shock tower mount ends the reverse is trus, they are mounted near the bend in the inner fender, which is great if one wants to prevent a fender from flexing/moving, but if the real objective is to firm up the nearby upper control arm suspension points, a thin flat piece of sheet metal connecting the two ain't gonna make it happen. What about my other points, they stand valid by default?

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: XV level II front suspension. Who is using it? [Re: jcc] #1770391
03/20/15 01:09 PM
03/20/15 01:09 PM
The Netherlands
BigBlockMopar Offline
master
BigBlockMopar  Offline
master

The Netherlands
I would think the triangle is more likely to keep the body/sheetmetal square (in just the horizontal plane), than chassis/frame control.

Re: XV level II front suspension. Who is using it? [Re: BigBlockMopar] #1770392
03/20/15 01:55 PM
03/20/15 01:55 PM
NY
X
XVracing Offline
XVracing  Offline
X

NY
Quote:

I would think the triangle is more likely to keep the body/sheetmetal square (in just the horizontal plane), than chassis/frame control.

A couple of things here....

There aren't many flat sections of sheet metal on the car, pretty much everything has a bend, curve, or brake to it. Flat sheet by itself, has little strengths in the one direction, put a 90* brake in it, it stiffens up quite a bit. Entire aircraft and race cars are constructed in what is called "monocoque" construction that way, basically the way a unibody works. A cowl section of a unibody car is probably the most substantial, and strongest part of the car for obvious reasons.

The engine brace does two things: We stitch weld up the inner fenders,and some of the torque of the frame rail is transmitted into the inner fender, which is tied to the cowl from the inner fender brace on the one side, and the engine brace cross bar helps keep them from flexing inward and also transmits some of the load back to the cowl with the other bars.

We can armchair engineer this all day long, but the fact is that every part of our chassis stiffening package was tested and bench marked, and delivered something like 9800# per degree of twist.

Sorry to ramble on.....

CR

Re: XV level II front suspension. Who is using it? [Re: XVracing] #1770393
03/20/15 02:01 PM
03/20/15 02:01 PM
The Netherlands
BigBlockMopar Offline
master
BigBlockMopar  Offline
master

The Netherlands
No rambling noticed, just a nice explanation of it's function.
Never hurts to hear/see the intented way a part is supposed to work.

Re: XV level II front suspension. Who is using it? [Re: XVracing] #1770394
03/20/15 06:38 PM
03/20/15 06:38 PM
SoCal
MuuMuu101 Offline
I got lucky at Woodward!
MuuMuu101  Offline
I got lucky at Woodward!

SoCal
Quote:

We can armchair engineer this all day long, but the fact is that every part of our chassis stiffening package was tested and bench marked, and delivered something like 9800# per degree of twist.

CR

Just curious, what's the degree of twist for an unstiffened chassis?

Re: XV level II front suspension. Who is using it? [Re: MuuMuu101] #1770395
03/20/15 09:55 PM
03/20/15 09:55 PM
Sac, CA, USA
N
ntstlgl1970 Offline
mopar
ntstlgl1970  Offline
mopar
N

Sac, CA, USA
If you haven't seen the XV 4 post chassis stiffness video, it's worth a watch....they show the before and after. Pretty cool stuff

Re: XV level II front suspension. Who is using it? [Re: ntstlgl1970] #1770396
03/20/15 09:56 PM
03/20/15 09:56 PM
SoCal
MuuMuu101 Offline
I got lucky at Woodward!
MuuMuu101  Offline
I got lucky at Woodward!

SoCal
Quote:

If you haven't seen the XV 4 post chassis stiffness video, it's worth a watch....they show the before and after. Pretty cool stuff

I haven't. I'm assuming it was in that DVD thing posted earlier. Maybe I'll take a look at it when I have free time.

Re: XV level II front suspension. Who is using it? [Re: MuuMuu101] #1770397
03/20/15 11:17 PM
03/20/15 11:17 PM
NY
X
XVracing Offline
XVracing  Offline
X

NY
Quote:

Quote:

CR

Honestly, I haven't been able to locate that data, there's a ton of it to go through...

The thing to understand is that the data collected was done by an independent company that specializes in vehicle dynamics and optimization... The rating is based on an industry standard, kinda like the way manufacturers give you a HP rating...

I don't know that they used the 4 post for torsional testing, I believe that was done on that static rig. The 4 post tested for shocks and spring rates, sway bars, tires stiffness, they even found a vibration that would be near impossible to find without it... Turned out to be flex in the rear upper shock mount and was fixed with a simple gusset.

Hope that helps...

Last edited by XVracing; 03/20/15 11:19 PM.
Re: XV level II front suspension. Who is using it? [Re: XVracing] #1770398
03/21/15 12:04 AM
03/21/15 12:04 AM
Houston Tx
Uhcoog1 Offline
super stock
Uhcoog1  Offline
super stock

Houston Tx
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

CR

Honestly, I haven't been able to locate that data, there's a ton of it to go through...

The thing to understand is that the data collected was done by an independent company that specializes in vehicle dynamics and optimization... The rating is based on an industry standard, kinda like the way manufacturers give you a HP rating...

I don't know that they used the 4 post for torsional testing, I believe that was done on that static rig. The 4 post tested for shocks and spring rates, sway bars, tires stiffness, they even found a vibration that would be near impossible to find without it... Turned out to be flex in the rear upper shock mount and was fixed with a simple gusset.

Hope that helps...

The video states 9800 is that of the unstiffened chassis, equal to a modern day sedan. The stated goal was 15000, equal to a modern day sports car.

Video 3, 1:20-1:45

-'02 Dodge Viper Ex-World Challenge racecar
-'73 Duster, 6.1 based 392 hilborn hemi, tko600, full floater rear 9", Hellwig custom bars, viper brakes, built for road course
Re: XV level II front suspension. Who is using it? [Re: Uhcoog1] #1770399
03/21/15 10:54 AM
03/21/15 10:54 AM
NY
X
XVracing Offline
XVracing  Offline
X

NY
Quote:

The video states 9800 is that of the unstiffened chassis, equal to a modern day sedan. The stated goal was 15000, equal to a modern day sports car.

Video 3, 1:20-1:45

That sounds about right, it's a ton of raw data, and I'm not sure if the actual numbers were ever published...

Thanks for finding that....

CR

Re: XV level II front suspension. Who is using it? [Re: XVracing] #1770400
03/21/15 01:18 PM
03/21/15 01:18 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Quote:

Quote:

There aren't many flat sections of sheet metal on the car, pretty much everything has a bend, curve, or brake to it. Flat sheet by itself, has little strengths in the one direction, put a 90* brake in it, it stiffens up quite a bit. Entire aircraft and race cars are constructed in what is called "monocoque" construction that way, basically the way a unibody works. A cowl section of a unibody car is probably the most substantial, and strongest part of the car for obvious reasons.

The engine brace does two things: We stitch weld up the inner fenders,and some of the torque of the frame rail is transmitted into the inner fender, which is tied to the cowl from the inner fender brace on the one side, and the engine brace cross bar helps keep them from flexing inward and also transmits some of the load back to the cowl with the other bars.

Sorry to ramble on.....

CR

We are going in circles here. The added brace is to stiffen the "strongest part of a car" or as "bigBlocK" mentioned to keep the cowl square?. The concern here is mainly where the brace attaches to the cowl, it is a poor choice unless mediocrity is acceptable. Moving it mere inches gives great bang for buck regarding attachment point stiffness, not which is its intended purpose.
So make the tubes straight without unsupported bends, make tubes terminate at a joint node, move attachment points as a close as possible to suspension points, lose the heims, and then back up number claims with before and after results, and we are good to go.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: XV level II front suspension. Who is using it? [Re: jcc] #1770401
03/22/15 01:34 AM
03/22/15 01:34 AM
USA MO
C
cdoublejj Offline
cdoublejj  Offline
C

USA MO
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Sorry to ramble on.....

CR

We are going in circles here. The added brace is to stiffen the "strongest part of a car" or as "bigBlocK" mentioned to keep the cowl square?. The concern here is mainly where the brace attaches to the cowl, it is a poor choice unless mediocrity is acceptable. Moving it mere inches gives great bang for buck regarding attachment point stiffness, not which is its intended purpose.
So make the tubes straight without unsupported bends, make tubes terminate at a joint node, move attachment points as a close as possible to suspension points, lose the heims, and then back up number claims with before and after results, and we are good to go.

US car tool makes one that are boxes. Also it's assumed you will use some of the other braces like the lower rad support. they kind of work together to strength the whole thing. also the tube isn't all THAT long any ways.

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9