Re: XV level II front suspension. Who is using it? [Re: autoxcuda] #1770362
03/17/15 04:42 PM
03/17/15 04:42 PM
Mosjøen, Norway
jvike Offline
jvike  Offline

Mosjøen, Norway
Quote:

Nice weight percentage. Do you have a fiberglass hood and rear mounted battery?

Yes. Optima Yellowtop.

Re: XV level II front suspension. Who is using it? [Re: cdoublejj] #1770363
03/17/15 10:55 PM
03/17/15 10:55 PM
Texas
GoodysGotaCuda Offline
5.7L Hemi, 6spd
GoodysGotaCuda  Offline
5.7L Hemi, 6spd

Texas
Quote:

Again the frame rails don't go all the way through on a unibody, this is why i like the UScartool frame rail connectors/stiffening kit so darn much. I have heard only good things about them.

Good to hear, I just ordered their entire chassis stiffening kit for my Barracuda.

1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi, T56 Magnum 6spd - https://www.facebook.com/GoodysGotaHemi
2020 RAM 1500
[img]https://i.imgur.com/v9yezP9.jpg[/img]
Re: XV level II front suspension. Who is using it? [Re: GoodysGotaCuda] #1770364
03/17/15 11:10 PM
03/17/15 11:10 PM
NY
X
XVracing Offline
XVracing  Offline
X

NY
Quote:

Quote:

Again the frame rails don't go all the way through on a unibody, this is why i like the UScartool frame rail connectors/stiffening kit so darn much. I have heard only good things about them.

Good to hear, I just ordered their entire chassis stiffening kit for my Barracuda.

Before they had there's, XV had their own system, ours works a little bit better....

We have the engine compartment brace they don't have....

I hope I'm not over stating the obvious, but we have it all from the chassis stiffening package, to the suspension kit, to the brake kits, I have rims and steering columns coming to the website soon... And everything was engineered to work together, tested, and bench marked.

This is the new 2 piece E Body

Re: XV level II front suspension. Who is using it? [Re: XVracing] #1770365
03/17/15 11:15 PM
03/17/15 11:15 PM
NY
X
XVracing Offline
XVracing  Offline
X

NY
This is the 3 Piece B Body...

Re: XV level II front suspension. Who is using it? [Re: XVracing] #1770366
03/17/15 11:22 PM
03/17/15 11:22 PM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
No love for the A body

They say there are no such thing as a stupid question.
They say there is always the exception that proves the rule.
Don't be the exception.
Re: XV level II front suspension. Who is using it? [Re: Supercuda] #1770367
03/17/15 11:49 PM
03/17/15 11:49 PM
NY
X
XVracing Offline
XVracing  Offline
X

NY
We have inner fender braces and lower radiator supports for A Bodies...

There's not a lot of people wanting to invest in an A Body because of the resale of the vehicle when you're done. They just don't bring the top dollar like a B Body or certainly an E Body... Sorry....

Re: XV level II front suspension. Who is using it? [Re: XVracing] #1770368
03/18/15 12:02 AM
03/18/15 12:02 AM
Texas
GoodysGotaCuda Offline
5.7L Hemi, 6spd
GoodysGotaCuda  Offline
5.7L Hemi, 6spd

Texas
Quote:

Before they had there's, XV had their own system, ours works a little bit better....

Do you have some data or competitive testing to draw that conclusion?

I did look at XV before ordering the US Car Tool parts. The pricing was close, but XV didn't offer [at least from what I saw] the torque box set, which I need. I had to make one order and pay shipping from one vendor.

The engine bay brace is a nice piece, but I will be building my own for my car.

1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi, T56 Magnum 6spd - https://www.facebook.com/GoodysGotaHemi
2020 RAM 1500
Re: XV level II front suspension. Who is using it? [Re: GoodysGotaCuda] #1770369
03/18/15 12:15 AM
03/18/15 12:15 AM
NY
X
XVracing Offline
XVracing  Offline
X

NY
Quote:

Quote:

I did look at XV before ordering the US Car Tool parts. The pricing was close, but XV didn't offer [at least from what I saw] the torque box set, which I need. I had to make one order and pay shipping from one vendor.

I thought everybody knew???

As a matter of fact, I believe the XV products were the only ones tested in this manner???

I would have to drag out the data, I have it somewhere, but here's a picture of the chassis stiffness being tested. They found they didn't need the torque boxes, the system met their criteria...

There's a video somewhere of the testing, they showed a before with a "X" of tape across the engine bay and you could see the tape go slack when the body was twisted, and after, only a slight bit...

8463512-12740006.jpg (292 downloads)
Re: XV level II front suspension. Who is using it? [Re: XVracing] #1770370
03/18/15 12:29 AM
03/18/15 12:29 AM
Texas
GoodysGotaCuda Offline
5.7L Hemi, 6spd
GoodysGotaCuda  Offline
5.7L Hemi, 6spd

Texas
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

As a matter of fact, I believe the XV products were the only ones tested in this manner???

I would have to drag out the data, I have it somewhere, but here's a picture of the chassis stiffness being tested. They found they didn't need the torque boxes, the system met their criteria...

There's a video somewhere of the testing, they showed a before with a "X" of tape across the engine bay and you could see the tape go slack when the body was twisted, and after, only a slight bit...

Nice picture.

I was a bit more interested in how you concluded kit XV's was better than the US Car Tool...and now also how it was concluded torque boxes "aren't needed" on a leaf-sprung application.

As a fellow engineer, you know we like to see data, test constraints, targets, etc, more than talk. Not that you must to provide it or anything, but it would be nice to see what is driving your claims.

Sure the US Car Tool video isn't the highest of caliber, but it does show their point in laymen's terms very well. A simple table of results in foot-lbs per degree/torsional stiffness as they added stiffening components and various weights would be easy enough to show which components did what for the car.

Re: XV level II front suspension. Who is using it? [Re: GoodysGotaCuda] #1770371
03/18/15 01:17 AM
03/18/15 01:17 AM
NY
X
XVracing Offline
XVracing  Offline
X

NY
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Nice picture.

I was a bit more interested in how you concluded kit XV's was better than the US Car Tool...and now also how it was concluded torque boxes "aren't needed" on a leaf-sprung application.

As a fellow engineer, you know we like to see data, test constraints, targets, etc, more than talk. Not that you must to provide it or anything, but it would be nice to see what is driving your claims.

Sure the US Car Tool video isn't the highest of caliber, but it does show their point in laymen's terms very well. A simple table of results in foot-lbs per degree/torsional stiffness as they added stiffening components and various weights would be easy enough to show which components did what for the car.

First off, the tests on the XV stuff was performed by a independent company called Multimatic, not in house. The fixture as you can see from the picture is something that is designed for this type of test by industry engineers. This company does all types of analysis for the OEM's.
Being an engineer, then you understand that the test rig and standards are as important as the data... Unless you have a baseline, and a standard, your data is only applicable to that particular vehicle..

To answer your question, I did find the system achieves 9800lbs per degree of twist... Not sure how many crankshafts that is?

And is the real life load on the vehicle from the bumper brackets?

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it's better than not having anything, but I'm pretty sure the stamped pieces they have don't compare to our mandrel bent tubing inner fender braces and lower radiator supports...

By the way, our rear suspension is hung off the front leaf spring perch as well, never had any issues without torque boxes... The frame connector is picking up that connection...

Really good discussion, thank you for the opportunity...

Re: XV level II front suspension. Who is using it? [Re: XVracing] #1770372
03/18/15 02:07 AM
03/18/15 02:07 AM
Nebraska
72Swinger Offline
master
72Swinger  Offline
master

Nebraska
Love that piece Chris! IMO the heims kill at least some of its effectiveness though! I think they need SOLID connection my friend. Something like this
http://www.tmrcustoms.com/store/index.ph...863638076e7b152
Or a setup like the Hotchkis Dart.

Mopar to the bone!!!
Re: XV level II front suspension. Who is using it? [Re: XVracing] #1770373
03/18/15 03:28 AM
03/18/15 03:28 AM
SoCal
MuuMuu101 Offline
I got lucky at Woodward!
MuuMuu101  Offline
I got lucky at Woodward!

SoCal
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Nice torsional rigidity test. I'd be curious about the numbers myself. That reminds me when we used to do testing for my SAE Baja car. Ours was similar but scrap metal was utilized instead.

Re: XV level II front suspension. Who is using it? [Re: 72Swinger] #1770374
03/18/15 07:34 AM
03/18/15 07:34 AM
NY
X
XVracing Offline
XVracing  Offline
X

NY
Quote:

Love that piece Chris! IMO the heims kill at least some of its effectiveness though! I think they need SOLID connection my friend. Something like this
http://www.tmrcustoms.com/store/index.ph...863638076e7b152
Or a setup like the Hotchkis Dart.

Actually, the Heim has no effect on the rigidity orientated the way it is. If is was mounted horizontally, then I would agree..

What it does do is allow the bar to be adjusted to fit every vehicle perfectly, because we know none of these cars are exactly the same, and that fit has a bigger impact on how well the bar works.

The Hotchkis Dart, has tubes welded from the frame rails to the firewall, and cage also, at that point you would better off clipping the car with some box tubing and be done with it. Really like comparing apples and oranges....

MuuMuu, maybe you missed it, but I posted. I found that they achieved 9800lbs per degree of twist, which I believe is better than a C7 Corvette..

CR

Last edited by XVracing; 03/18/15 10:36 AM.
Re: XV level II front suspension. Who is using it? [Re: XVracing] #1770375
03/18/15 02:15 PM
03/18/15 02:15 PM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
The testing that XV did originally was first rate. I knew the company was doomed as soon as I saw how much money they were spending on testing! Nobody makes enough money in this industry to afford that kind of testing. Most people just build stuff and sell it. A few folks are able to do some testing on the side on a small sample of race cars or stuff like that. Real data on a shaker table is hard to come by.

Re: XV level II front suspension. Who is using it? [Re: XVracing] #1770376
03/18/15 02:57 PM
03/18/15 02:57 PM
NW Chicago suburban area
Mopar Mitch Offline
pro stock
Mopar Mitch  Offline
pro stock

NW Chicago suburban area
Chris -- Does the E-body upper brace you've picture fit with a SB factory 6-pack setup (incldg the factory air cleaner base)?

Also, what's the weight of the upper brace? (Adding more weight to the car, in particular the front end, is a concern to me.)

Mopar Mitch "Road racers and autocrossers go in deeper and come out harder!"... and rain never stops us from having fun with our cars... in fact, it makes us better drivers! Check out MOPAR ACTION MAGAZINE, August 2006 issue for feature article and specs on my autocross T/A!
Re: XV level II front suspension. Who is using it? [Re: Mopar Mitch] #1770377
03/18/15 06:14 PM
03/18/15 06:14 PM
NY
X
XVracing Offline
XVracing  Offline
X

NY
Quote:

Chris -- Does the E-body upper brace you've picture fit with a SB factory 6-pack setup (incldg the factory air cleaner base)?

Also, what's the weight of the upper brace? (Adding more weight to the car, in particular the front end, is a concern to me.)

I believe we test fit that brace in just about everything, and with the removable bar, it allows even more of an adjustment.

The only installed pictures I have are with GenIII Hemi's, but this should give you an idea. Call me in the shop, and I can give you some measurements.

The shipping weight with the box is about 17lbs, so figure 15lbs or so...

8464109-2006_02270047.jpg (615 downloads)
Re: XV level II front suspension. Who is using it? [Re: Mopar Mitch] #1770378
03/18/15 08:45 PM
03/18/15 08:45 PM
Mosjøen, Norway
jvike Offline
jvike  Offline

Mosjøen, Norway
Quote:

I have a 340 (4bbl) and had to modify the XV engine brace to make it fit around the distributor. Easy fix.

Also I've uploaded the entire XV DVD on youtube if y'all want to see the engineering behind the products.
XV DVD

Re: XV level II front suspension. Who is using it? [Re: jvike] #1770379
03/18/15 10:44 PM
03/18/15 10:44 PM
Texas
GoodysGotaCuda Offline
5.7L Hemi, 6spd
GoodysGotaCuda  Offline
5.7L Hemi, 6spd

Texas
Quote:

Also I've uploaded the entire XV DVD on youtube if y'all want to see the engineering behind the products.
XV DVD

Thanks, watched 'em all. Very interesting

2020 RAM 1500
Re: XV level II front suspension. Who is using it? [Re: 72Swinger] #1770380
03/18/15 11:43 PM
03/18/15 11:43 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
J

Bitopia
I'm not buying the heims rationalization. I don't like mid unsupported bends in tubing, I don't like tube braces that do not share a node at their termination, I don't see why the relatively thin sheet metal inner fender needs support 4+" above a the nearest suspension point, I don't know how much stiffness an attachment to the firewall provides mid center panel, and I haven't needed to see any numbers/calcs/testing to make the above claims. Haven't heard that torque boxes are little improvement before, which I agree with totally and have postulated for years once frame connectors are installed. But people like to add stuff under the heading "it can't hurt".

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: XV level II front suspension. Who is using it? [Re: Supercuda] #1770381
03/18/15 11:59 PM
03/18/15 11:59 PM
Utah and Alaska
astjp2 Offline
master
astjp2  Offline
master

Utah and Alaska
Quote:

No love for the A body

That's because they are UGLY

1941 Taylorcraft
1968 Charger
1994 Wrangler
1998 Wrangler
2008 Kia Rio
2017 Jetta

I didn't do 4 years and 9 months of Graduate School to be called Mister!
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9