03/11/15 05:40 PM
Houston Tx
Uhcoog1 Offline
super stock
Uhcoog1  Offline
super stock

Houston Tx
Quote:

I would definitely go for 9* caster with our spindles that have a SAI of 8 ish. With the caster at 9, I see no reason to go MORE negative with your camber. The reason for increasing caster, into the stratosphere, is to be able to use LESS negative static camber which has the trade off of killing grip to the inside tire on every turn.

Unfortunately I can't get to 9* without also going to -2.7 or so camber...

You're de-railing my argument that I don't need aftermarket UCA's. haha.

-'02 Dodge Viper Ex-World Challenge racecar
-'73 Duster, 6.1 based 392 hilborn hemi, tko600, full floater rear 9", Hellwig custom bars, viper brakes, built for road course
Re: XV level II front suspension. Who is using it? [Re: Uhcoog1] #1770323
03/11/15 06:24 PM
03/11/15 06:24 PM
Nebraska
72Swinger Offline
master
72Swinger  Offline
master

Nebraska
I think the best made arms are Hotchkis, hands down. I like the SPC's from Bergmann too. Im using heimed RMS.

Mopar to the bone!!!
Re: XV level II front suspension. Who is using it? [Re: Uhcoog1] #1770324
03/11/15 07:59 PM
03/11/15 07:59 PM
Santa Fe Springs, CA
Dan@Hotchkis Offline
super stock
Dan@Hotchkis  Offline
super stock

Santa Fe Springs, CA
Quote:

How much more adjustability would I gain with TVS UCA's? I'm at 7.0* caster and -1.7* camber. I'm maxed out on caster at the -1.7* camber. Although I can get to 9.0* but with -3.0* camber. It would be nice to be able to run 9.0 caster at sub -2.0* camber.

Hoosiers are going on the car later this month. How far should I go with the alignment? I'm thinking -2.7 & 8.5ish.

Exactly that. I've got cars set up in the 7.5-8* of caster with 2.5-3* of camber, and we've got cars that are at 9* of caster with 1* of camber.

Not to discount what you are saying, but are you confident on your numbers? I've NEVER been able to get stock arms over 4.5* of caster and as you said, with a whole mess of camber.
Are you cheating the system someplace else to increase your spindle inclination? (i.e. strut rods)

Re: XV level II front suspension. Who is using it? [Re: Dan@Hotchkis] #1770325
03/11/15 09:58 PM
03/11/15 09:58 PM
Houston Tx
Uhcoog1 Offline
super stock
Uhcoog1  Offline
super stock

Houston Tx
Offset UCA bushings.

Maxed out:

Currently:

I'm under the impression that A bodies with offset bushings will go further than B/E. I don't have any support for that, though.

-'73 Duster, 6.1 based 392 hilborn hemi, tko600, full floater rear 9", Hellwig custom bars, viper brakes, built for road course
Re: XV level II front suspension. Who is using it? [Re: Uhcoog1] #1770326
03/11/15 10:02 PM
03/11/15 10:02 PM
Nebraska
72Swinger Offline
master
72Swinger  Offline
master

Nebraska
Wade make sure the Hotchkis arms will live with the rear mount calipers.

Mopar to the bone!!!
Re: XV level II front suspension. Who is using it? [Re: Uhcoog1] #1770327
03/11/15 10:06 PM
03/11/15 10:06 PM
Santa Fe Springs, CA
Dan@Hotchkis Offline
super stock
Dan@Hotchkis  Offline
super stock

Santa Fe Springs, CA
Quote:

Offset UCA bushings.

I'm under the impression that A bodies with offset bushings will go further than B/E. I don't have any support for that, though.

That is amazing. I've done a lot of a-bodies and I've NEVER been able to get one anywhere close to that.

Re: XV level II front suspension. Who is using it? [Re: Dan@Hotchkis] #1770328
03/11/15 11:25 PM
03/11/15 11:25 PM
Houston Tx
Uhcoog1 Offline
super stock
Uhcoog1  Offline
super stock

Houston Tx
Quote:

Quote:

Offset UCA bushings.

That is amazing. I've done a lot of a-bodies and I've NEVER been able to get one anywhere close to that.

Alignments were done at Bumbera's- a race shop in Katy. I'll go to a new shop next time to see if the numbers are different.

Re: XV level II front suspension. Who is using it? [Re: Uhcoog1] #1770329
03/12/15 12:03 AM
03/12/15 12:03 AM
Kings Beach, CA
T
tahoechallenge Offline
enthusiast
tahoechallenge  Offline
enthusiast
T

Kings Beach, CA
I don't care what system you use, it all comes down to your ability and patience to get things sorted out. Unless you have lots of experience with a particular part, very rarely do you bolt it on and get it right the first time.

Re: XV level II front suspension. Who is using it? [Re: Supercuda] #1770330
03/12/15 12:08 AM
03/12/15 12:08 AM
USA MO
C
cdoublejj Offline
cdoublejj  Offline
C

USA MO
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

" Additionally, like you mention, the magazine articles on upgrades also tend to be worn original suspension with wheel/tire upgrades as part of the package, so it difficult to discern the exact amount of improvement the system provides. No one has taken an optimized stock layout against the aftermarket units either."

GREAT point. I have said this for years. Take a well balanced fresh Mopar suspension and steering setup and compare it against the aftermarket kits. The aftermarket stuff might perform better, it might not. I'm tired of hearing so many guys brag about how their "ditching the factory junk" for the Magnum Force Transgender system or another aftermarket setup. Most of the time, these cars are in need of a full front end rebuild so any change seems like an improvement over the 400,000 mile stuff the car has in it.

Well I think reading that i'll be sure not brag about that. That's really good point, what can say if you never had chance to compare to factory/spec properly maintained!

I can at least says i'm not getting such kit just because but, because i have some understanding of how they work and why. I'm looking for as much improvement as i can get as my wallet wallet will allow and i've done a lot of research.

at the very least i know the new trasngeder kit has more adjust ability than of stock, not say the stock can't be adjusted or made to be adjustable. And also i know what kind of usage/racing i want to do.

All in not to say the factory stuff is junk but, that want i even better, all i get.

Well drunk posting sure helps make your point.

Hahahaha, lol. I was tired on that one. I wonder if being tired can be as bad as being drunk? Don't be tired and drive folks.

Lets see if i can clean that up.
----

Well I think reading that i'll be sure not brag about that. That's a really good point, what can one say if they've never had chance to compare to factory/spec properly maintained!

I can at least says i'm not getting such kit just because. but, rather because i have some understanding of how they work and why. I'm looking for as much improvement as i can get as my wallet will allow and i've done a lot of reading over the past several years.

At the very least i know the new trasngeder kit has more adjust ability than that of stock, not to say the stock can't be adjusted or made to be adjustable. And also i know what kind of usage/racing i want to do.

All in not to say the factory stuff is junk but, that want i even better, all that i can get.

Quote:

I don't care what system you use, it all comes down to your ability and patience to get things sorted out. Unless you have lots of experience with a particular part, very rarely do you bolt it on and get it right the first time.

AMEN BROTHER!!! I've learned so much performance modification. with engines a lot can attributed to removing and adding metal in the right places. The devil is the details.

Last edited by cdoublejj; 03/12/15 12:10 AM.
Re: XV level II front suspension. Who is using it? [Re: cdoublejj] #1770331
03/13/15 12:09 AM
03/13/15 12:09 AM
Long Island, NY USA
B
BergmanAutoCraft Offline
master
BergmanAutoCraft  Offline
master
B

Long Island, NY USA
Why so much caster? I found with lots of caster the lifting of the body off center unsettling. I run 3-4 with 1.25-1.5 negative camber. Very predictable.

Re: XV level II front suspension. Who is using it? [Re: BergmanAutoCraft] #1770332
03/13/15 02:14 AM
03/13/15 02:14 AM
Nebraska
72Swinger Offline
master
72Swinger  Offline
master

Nebraska
Ron Sutton has a few really informative discussions on ProTouring.com about front suspension setup. His thoughts are primarily from years and years of setting up everything from a 1/4 midget to NASCAR to LeMans. Keeping the tires as flat as possible with the tarmac to achieve maximum grip possible. He has figured out that caster needs to be at least one degree more positive than the KPI/SAI measurement of the spindle you're using as a general base. I have roughly measured my 73+ A body spindles at 7.5*.

Mopar to the bone!!!
Re: XV level II front suspension. Who is using it? [Re: Calicuda70] #1770333
03/16/15 02:22 AM
03/16/15 02:22 AM
NY
X
XVracing Offline
XVracing  Offline
X

NY
Quote:

Sorry I'm not active enough for you there usually no reason to reply to thread when the answer is already there I just figured I would add my exspericance with my purchase

Nice Chrome Springs!!!!

CR

Re: XV level II front suspension. Who is using it? [Re: 72Swinger] #1770334
03/16/15 02:38 AM
03/16/15 02:38 AM
NY
X
XVracing Offline
XVracing  Offline
X

NY
Quote:

Ron Sutton has a few really informative discussions on ProTouring.com about front suspension setup. His thoughts are primarily from years and years of setting up everything from a 1/4 midget to NASCAR to LeMans. Keeping the tires as flat as possible with the tarmac to achieve maximum grip possible. He has figured out that caster needs to be at least one degree more positive than the KPI/SAI measurement of the spindle you're using as a general base. I have roughly measured my 73+ A body spindles at 7.5*.

I guess i missed this post, great information...

BTW I'm Chris Reinhardt, the guy behind XV Racing Products....

I've done A LOT of race car and kart road racing setups....

The camber will vary with a lot of variables, tire side wall and composition, rim size and width, yadda, yadda yadda... There isn't any hard and fast number. One of the best ways we do it is by checking tire temps across the width of the tire, and pressure increase. Once you get the pressure equalized, then you look for even temps across the tire. Too hot on the inside, too much neg, too hot on the outside, too much pos... Pretty simple... Different tracks demand different amounts also... Lime Rock is a real good example... A fast car around Lime Rock is setup to turn right more so than the only left hander...

CR

Re: XV level II front suspension. Who is using it? [Re: XVracing] #1770335
03/16/15 12:44 PM
03/16/15 12:44 PM
Long Island, NY USA
B
BergmanAutoCraft Offline
master
master
B

Long Island, NY USA
The Ron Sutton front suspension set in regards to alignment is very interesting. It has never been explained to me this way before. However, I'm going to assume the correct spring rates will help counteract the body lift typical on the inside wheel. My SPC arms will easily go to 8.5 deg caster.. The SAI on a 73 and up disc spindle is 7.5 deg.

Re: XV level II front suspension. Who is using it? [Re: BergmanAutoCraft] #1770336
03/16/15 04:04 PM
03/16/15 04:04 PM
Mosjøen, Norway
jvike Offline
jvike  Offline

Mosjøen, Norway
I have the XV Level II. Had it on the car for 5 years or so. It's a very good suspension, I've raced the car on a roadcourse several times, I've used the car for vacation/long trips and just cruising the streets. The only thing I have done to it is change the stock (Corvette C5) uprights for LG Motorsports Billet drop spindles to get the rideheight right (with the right alignment). No bumpsteer issues whatsoever. I can highly recommend it.

I do agree that a proper setup stock suspension like Hotchkis or the XV Level I would be good alternatives and probably just as capable (have never tried one of those tho) on the streets. However the XV has the weight reduction and the Rack and Pinion that is just a dream to steer.

With the original C5 upright.

The LG Motorsports drop upright.

With the LG installed.

After a track session with rubber build-up on the tires.

Last edited by jvike; 03/16/15 04:05 PM.
Re: XV level II front suspension. Who is using it? [Re: BergmanAutoCraft] #1770337
03/16/15 04:37 PM
03/16/15 04:37 PM
Nebraska
72Swinger Offline
master
72Swinger  Offline
master

Nebraska
Quote:

The Ron Sutton front suspension set in regards to alignment is very interesting. It has never been explained to me this way before. However, I'm going to assume the correct spring rates will help counteract the body lift typical on the inside wheel. My SPC arms will easily go to 8.5 deg caster.. The SAI on a 73 and up disc spindle is 7.5 deg.

I agree with what he says enough to at least try it. I know a lot of his experience probabaly revolved around making a set of tires last as many laps as possible so you don't have the car life or death on the outer tires ability to grip.

Mopar to the bone!!!
Re: XV level II front suspension. Who is using it? [Re: jvike] #1770338
03/16/15 04:56 PM
03/16/15 04:56 PM
Long Island, NY USA
B
BergmanAutoCraft Offline
master
master
B

Long Island, NY USA
When you say "bumpsteer is not a problem" what do you mean? Did you measure it? In my experience toe change through the travel is excessive on those front ends. Since ATS went under, I though someone else made a knuckle with a drop arm. That would eliminate the need for the spacers at the tie rod end. It would create a much stronger connection along with the ability to bring the bumpsteer into a normal range.

Re: XV level II front suspension. Who is using it? [Re: jvike] #1770339
03/16/15 05:10 PM
03/16/15 05:10 PM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
Looks great. The stack of washers on the tie rod is kind of a bummer though, especially with a billet knuckle. If they changed a few lines of code the tie rod arm could've been dropped on that knuckle and you wouldn't need the spacers. That would tighten things up a little bit since that long lever arm probably wiggles a bit on turn-in.

If you spend those pictures to LG and give them the measurement I bet they can build you new knuckles. Or perhaps XV could introduce some knuckles with the correct arm placement? The billet is nice since it can be easily reprogrammed for ride height. Cost is higher though of course.

Re: XV level II front suspension. Who is using it? [Re: AndyF] #1770340
03/16/15 05:17 PM
03/16/15 05:17 PM
Long Island, NY USA
B
BergmanAutoCraft Offline
master
master
B

Long Island, NY USA
Quote:

Looks great. The stack of washers on the tie rod is kind of a bummer though, especially with a billet knuckle. If they changed a few lines of code the tie rod arm could've been dropped on that knuckle and you wouldn't need the spacers. That would tighten things up a little bit since that long lever arm probably wiggles a bit on turn-in.

If you spend those pictures to LG and give them the measurement I bet they can build you new knuckles. Or perhaps XV could introduce some knuckles with the correct arm placement? The billet is nice since it can be easily reprogrammed for ride height. Cost is higher though of course.

Its a C5/C6, a drop arm is already made.

Re: XV level II front suspension. Who is using it? [Re: BergmanAutoCraft] #1770341
03/16/15 06:47 PM
03/16/15 06:47 PM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
The billet one could be modified into a drop arm by welding if it is 6061. Might be 7075 though.

The tie rod spacers on this kit (as well as other kits) was one of the main reasons Tim and I never made the switch on his Valiant. It just seems like poor engineering practice to have your steering input made thru a long and unsupported lever arm. It would be interesting to see how much that are deflects during use. Maybe it isn't as much as I'm thinking.

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9