02/22/15 09:46 PM
02/22/15 09:46 PM
Lethbridge, AB, Canada
dangina Offline OP
pro stock
dangina  Offline OP
pro stock

Lethbridge, AB, Canada
Just wiring my 71 runner right now, I need to run switched power for my fuel pump relay and exhaust cuttouts, just wondering where I can steal the switched power from? Is the accessory feed considered switched power?

Re: switched power, where to get it from [Re: dangina] #1760837
02/23/15 08:10 PM
02/23/15 08:10 PM
Rio Linda, CA
John_Kunkel Offline
Too Many Posts
John_Kunkel  Offline
Too Many Posts

Rio Linda, CA
Accessory power will be on in both ACC and RUN but do you want your fuel pump to run in the ACC position?

The blue wire on the voltage regulator will be hot in the RUN position only.

The INTERNET, the MISinformation superhighway
Re: switched power, where to get it from [Re: John_Kunkel] #1760838
02/23/15 08:42 PM
02/23/15 08:42 PM
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
D_C Offline
pro stock
D_C  Offline
pro stock

Rancho Cucamonga, CA
My electric fuel pump/relay has a Low-Oil Pressure Kill Switch wired into the circuit. The switch was relatively inexpensive and easy to install.

With this switch, the fuel pump will only run when there is positive engine oil pressure. This keeps the fuel pump from running when you have the Key in the ACCESSORY or RUN position and the engine is OFF.

I installed it as an NHRA Safety requirement particularly in case of a roll-over accident, but on one occasion, it actually saved my engine from destruction.i

I was driving down the freeway when Suddenly, the engine began to chug and then it shut off. I pulled to the side of the road and stopped.

When I investigated the cause, a pushrod had pierced a stamped-steel rocker arm and the oil pressure dropped to zero. Since I had the switch, the fuel pump shut the engine off.

Re: switched power, where to get it from [Re: D_C] #1760839
02/23/15 08:57 PM
02/23/15 08:57 PM
NEW JERSEY
AARCONV Offline
master
AARCONV  Offline
master

NEW JERSEY
Should it be tapped to the alternator power?

Re: switched power, where to get it from [Re: dangina] #1760840
02/23/15 09:05 PM
02/23/15 09:05 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
for the trigger wire to engage the relay(s) I'd just T off of the ign1 "run" blue wire circuit that goes to the alt field/reg as Kunkel said. An option for the pump would be to run this trigger wire from a fuse box terminal that is hot all the time (tap into the back side (before it goes thru the fuse) then run it out & add an inline fuse holder/20 A fuse) then an on/off switch in series with that trigger wire on to the relay for more absolute control of the pump. This lets you prefill the carb "as needed" and be able to shut the pump off directly in an emergency "as needed" with this seperate/direct switch

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: switched power, where to get it from [Re: RapidRobert] #1760841
02/23/15 11:46 PM
02/23/15 11:46 PM
Lethbridge, AB, Canada
dangina Offline OP
pro stock
dangina  Offline OP
pro stock

Lethbridge, AB, Canada
Quote:

for the trigger wire to engage the relay(s) I'd just T off of the ign1 "run" blue wire circuit that goes to the alt field/reg as Kunkel said. An option for the pump would be to run this trigger wire from a fuse box terminal that is hot all the time (tap into the back side (before it goes thru the fuse) then run it out & add an inline fuse holder/20 A fuse) then an on/off switch in series with that trigger wire on to the relay for more absolute control of the pump. This lets you prefill the carb "as needed" and be able to shut the pump off directly in an emergency "as needed" with this seperate/direct switch

I bought a electronic fuel pump controler where it senses a signal on the coil wire from the tach so it doesnt keep running if the engine dies, but it does need a switch power to turn on the relay which sends power to the fuel pump. See it here:
http://www.revolutionelectronics.com/Fuel_Pump.html

Re: switched power, where to get it from [Re: dangina] #1760842
02/24/15 03:14 PM
02/24/15 03:14 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Quote:

I bought a electronic fuel pump controler where it senses a signal on the coil wire from the tach so it doesnt keep running if the engine dies, but it does need a switch power to turn on the relay which sends power to the fuel pump. See it here:

I read the descrip several times to get a feel for it & just me I think I would pass. Not sure how heavy duty the internal relay is (tho an amp # was given) & the wires seem thin & not sure how heavy duty of pump you will be using & I'm assuming it'll go in back by the tank (& longer distance requires smaller gauge wires). I'd (1) get a good pump (holley blue? "maybe") (2) quality relay (3) appropriate ga wires (4) good crimped/soldered connections (5) fused protection (6) T a return line at the carb inlet out to a reg & use the reg to regulate the return flow to control the psi unless this is a basic low po pump that does not need regulation. (7) keep lines away from hot spots/road debris potential. (8) I think I'd want easy (to) bend steel lines but I ain't 100% on that (I had one alum line leak). (9) properly secured with Adel clamps front/rear

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth