02/19/15 03:59 AM
02/19/15 03:59 AM
Dayton, WA
wesgtx440 Offline OP
enthusiast
wesgtx440  Offline OP
enthusiast

Dayton, WA
Been saving up for a while to put new wheels on the charger. There was a silver 68 charger in mopar muscle a while back that has 17s front and 18s rear that I thought looked really good.

will the following wheel/tire combo fit?
68 charger, 2 in drop front spindles, 1 in drop rear springs, stock 8 3/4 rear, stock wheel wells front and rear.
circle racing billet magnum 500s 255/50/17 on a 17x7 rim with 4.5 inch backspace for front and 295/45/18 on a 18x9.5 rim with 5 inch backspace for rear. Been looking at the red line tires from diamond back classics if that matters any.
Thanks for any help on this.

Re: Will this wheel/tire combo fit? [Re: wesgtx440] #1758351
02/20/15 01:12 AM
02/20/15 01:12 AM
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
D_C Offline
pro stock
D_C  Offline
pro stock

Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Ideally, you find a wheel & tire shop that can help you out with measuring and trial fitment. Two basically identical cars, particularly back in the day, can have significant variation yet still be within factory production tolerances.

Also, you have several variables involved. A really good measurement and trial fitting of the wheel and tire combo would be best. Initially everything might fit, then you turn the steering wheel and the tires rub. Or, you go over railroad tracks a little fast, and they rub. Or, everything seems to fit, except the leaf springs are in the way. If they are anywhere near standard design limits, Best to get a trial fit before you buy.

Beyond that, if you really want to go it alone and risk having to return things or worse, not be able to return custom-made wheels.... you could go on YouTube and/or Google the technique for measuring backspace and fenderwell contact points and try your best to figure it all out.

Re: Will this wheel/tire combo fit? [Re: D_C] #1758352
02/20/15 01:18 AM
02/20/15 01:18 AM
SoCal
MuuMuu101 Offline
I got lucky at Woodward!
MuuMuu101  Offline
I got lucky at Woodward!

SoCal
Quote:

Two basically identical cars, particularly back in the day, can have significant variation yet still be within factory production tolerances.

No to cars are alike... And to give you an example of tolerances, when I first test fitted my wheels, on one side I barely had a fraction of an inch to turn the wheel, on the other, the tires were hitting the leaf springs.

Re: Will this wheel/tire combo fit? [Re: D_C] #1758353
02/20/15 01:31 AM
02/20/15 01:31 AM
Florida
M
mopar346 Offline
Let me tell ya about fat chicks!
mopar346  Offline
Let me tell ya about fat chicks!
M

Florida
Quote:

Ideally, you find a wheel & tire shop that can help you out with measuring and trial fitment. Two basically identical cars, particularly back in the day, can have significant variation yet still be within factory production tolerances.

Also, you have several variables involved. A really good measurement and trial fitting of the wheel and tire combo would be best. Initially everything might fit, then you turn the steering wheel and the tires rub. Or, you go over railroad tracks a little fast, and they rub. Or, everything seems to fit, except the leaf springs are in the way. If they are anywhere near standard design limits, Best to get a trial fit before you buy.

Beyond that, if you really want to go it alone and risk having to return things or worse, not be able to return custom-made wheels.... you could go on YouTube and/or Google the technique for measuring backspace and fenderwell contact points and try your best to figure it all out.

Not sure what they have in California but you would never a shop around here with had a single set of wheels and tires much less one that had several sizes to test fit.

I'm finding that coss section is one of the biggest factors that gets overlooked when maximizing tires width and rim backspace.

Careful, your character's showing!
Re: Will this wheel/tire combo fit? [Re: mopar346] #1758354
02/20/15 01:32 PM
02/20/15 01:32 PM
Dayton, WA
wesgtx440 Offline OP
enthusiast
wesgtx440  Offline OP
enthusiast

Dayton, WA
It seems the more research I do on this, the more confused I get on which route to go.

Thank you all for the suggestions/information provided thus far.

Re: Will this wheel/tire combo fit? [Re: wesgtx440] #1758355
02/20/15 06:26 PM
02/20/15 06:26 PM
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
D_C Offline
pro stock
D_C  Offline
pro stock

Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Here is a Hotrod magazine article on how to go about it:

Wheel Fitment Magazine Article

You may be able to figure it all out yourself. Or, you could call some local tire shops to see if any of them could help you directly or suggest some shop nearby (or in the nearest major city) of where to find a Tire & Wheel shop that fits and sells Custom Aftermarket Wheels.

Your local Goodyear, Firestone or Les Schwab tire centers might be a place to start. You could look for a shop in Walla Walla, Lewiston, or up North in Spokane.

You could also look for a local Hotrod / Performance Automotive builders shop for advice.