01/12/15 12:08 AM
01/12/15 12:08 AM
Hershey, PA
73MagDuster Offline
73MagDuster  Offline

Hershey, PA
Quote:

73MagDuster:

Where does your machine plug into: the OBD port, or directly to the EDR?

It depends. Most newer vehicles can be accessed through the OBD, some you don't even need the keys. If the wiring is damaged or it is not safe to power the car up you can direct connect to the module.

Re: SRT Hellcat wreck [Re: gdonovan] #1714186
01/12/15 03:07 AM
01/12/15 03:07 AM
The Pale Blue Dot
Skeptic Offline
master
Skeptic  Offline
master

The Pale Blue Dot
Quote:

Quote:

There is nothing innocent about it, unethical at best.

It's the automotive trade- I have seen more unethical crap in 30 years most of it at the dealer level than you can shake a stick at.

Someone backing a wrecker into a car for an adjuster to bump a claim would be the least trifling of offensive things I have witnessed.

I'm glad I'm out now.

:yawn: I've been a mechanic for over 30 years so I've seen a lot myself You claim it is "innocent" I say it's not. You seem to have some delusion that an adjuster is going to spend 8 LARGE for a tool and 1100 per year to illegally access data- with NO financial incentive. People do unethical Sh!t to MAKE money.

Re: SRT Hellcat wreck [Re: gdonovan] #1714187
01/12/15 03:34 AM
01/12/15 03:34 AM
WV
S
Stoga Offline
Stoga  Offline
S

WV
Quote:

Aside from the Toyota cases that is which helped prove Toyota was not at fault for "unintended acceleration"

Sorry, couldn't let this slide. For being "not at fault", Toyota sure paid one heck of large fine for not doing due diligence. The myth of the superior Toyota needs to be drowned in a bucket.

Re: SRT Hellcat wreck [Re: Skeptic] #1714188
01/12/15 08:23 AM
01/12/15 08:23 AM
Oakdale CT
gdonovan Offline
I Live Here
gdonovan  Offline
I Live Here

Oakdale CT
Quote:

:yawn: I've been a mechanic for over 30 years so I've seen a lot myself You claim it is "innocent" I say it's not. You seem to have some delusion that an adjuster is going to spend 8 LARGE for a tool and 1100 per year to illegally access data- with NO financial incentive. People do unethical Sh!t to MAKE money.

I never said the the adjuster would spend the money for the tool, the logical choice to do so would be the insurance company the adjuster works for.

And we all know insurance companies are fair when paying out for claims right?

"I think its got a hemi"
Re: SRT Hellcat wreck [Re: gdonovan] #1714189
01/12/15 08:27 AM
01/12/15 08:27 AM
Puttin' on the foil in Charles...
not_a_charger Offline
Mr. Big Shot Moparts Moderator
not_a_charger  Offline

Quote:

Quote:

The data you're referring to isn't accessible with the typical hand-held scanner.

I have already pointed this out, if you have the coin you can buy the proper unit for retrieving the data.

Just so were clear, we both understand a normal scan tool will not obtain the data. If you wish to pop $8000 or so you can get the tool that does.

An adjuster and/or an insurance company would have virtually no incentive to spend that kind of coin on a piece of equipment that would provide no tangible benefit whatsoever. Smaller companies don't have that kind of budget. Larger companies have too many appraisers. Which appraisers do you give it to? What do you do with the illegally obtained data? You can't use it in court, which makes it worthless.

And again, they would have no need for the data unless it were a fatality/serious injury/product liability type issue, in which case it could be obtained by subpoena and then utilized. It's not needed in the majority of fatality/serious injury cases anyway, so if an insurer needed the data and obtained a subpoena, it would be far cheaper to pay someone to retrieve the data than it would be to pay for expensive equipment themselves, only to have it sit around and collect dust.

20 years of handling claims, thousands of accident claims handled, and I can think of 2 times that I've been involved in claims where crash data was needed. One was a fatality, one was a product liability situation. That's 2 out of thousands, including (unfortunately), a few hundred fatalities.

It's not an ethical/unethical thing. It's a smart business thing. There's no benefit to the insurer to spend the money to have the equipment.

Earning every penny of that moderator paycheck.

DBAP
Re: SRT Hellcat wreck [Re: Stoga] #1714190
01/12/15 08:28 AM
01/12/15 08:28 AM
Oakdale CT
gdonovan Offline
I Live Here
gdonovan  Offline
I Live Here

Oakdale CT
Quote:

Quote:

Aside from the Toyota cases that is which helped prove Toyota was not at fault for "unintended acceleration"

Sorry, couldn't let this slide. For being "not at fault", Toyota sure paid one heck of large fine for not doing due diligence. The myth of the superior Toyota needs to be drowned in a bucket.

ahem- http://www.nhtsa.gov/UA

Its called a shakedown. Toyota paid money to make bad press go away.

I never stated Toyota was superior, thanks for putting words in my mouth. I'd wager that in the majority of cases driver error is the problem.

Just like this poor schmuck who let his Hellcat get away from him.

"I think its got a hemi"
Re: SRT Hellcat wreck [Re: gdonovan] #1714191
01/12/15 08:39 AM
01/12/15 08:39 AM
not_a_charger Offline
not_a_charger  Offline

^ Agreed that most of the Toyota problem was driver error, just as it was with the Jeep Grand Cherokee issue from several years back.

Driver error has put food on my table since I was 23 years old.

Earning every penny of that moderator paycheck.

DBAP
Re: SRT Hellcat wreck [Re: gdonovan] #1714192
01/12/15 04:59 PM
01/12/15 04:59 PM
Oregon
A
AndyF Online content
I Win
AndyF  Online Content
I Win
A

Oregon
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

ahem- http://www.nhtsa.gov/UA

Its called a shakedown. Toyota paid money to make bad press go away.

I never stated Toyota was superior, thanks for putting words in my mouth. I'd wager that in the majority of cases driver error is the problem.

Just like this poor schmuck who let his Hellcat get away from him.

Yep, the Toyota deal was nothing more than a shakedown by greedy lawyers. Bad thing is that the gov piled on for some reason. Most likely due to campaign contributions from said greedy lawyers. The Audi deal was the same thing years ago. Same deal with "exploding gas tanks" and other such nonsense. I went to law school with some of the scum who perpetuate this mess.

Back to the topic on hand. If I was a Hellcat engineer I'd love to see the black box data. Just be interesting to see if the stabilty control was turned off or not. If it was on I'd like to crunch the numbers to see what if anything could've been solved. Maybe the dude was just going too fast for anything to save him but I don't know. The 4 wheel slide job tells me that he could've been saved by a computer who knew more about driving than the driver.

Re: SRT Hellcat wreck [Re: not_a_charger] #1714193
01/15/15 11:31 AM
01/15/15 11:31 AM
Plymouth, MI
Blusmbl Offline
master
Blusmbl  Offline
master

Plymouth, MI
Quote:

^ Agreed that most of the Toyota problem was driver error, just as it was with the Jeep Grand Cherokee issue from several years back.

I'd agree- most, but not all. There are several reports of stack overflow issues in their ECU's. I doubt the majority of their claims were legitimate computing errors though:

http://www.safetyresearch.net/blog/artic...i%E2%80%9D-code

Re: SRT Hellcat wreck [Re: Blusmbl] #1714194
01/15/15 12:01 PM
01/15/15 12:01 PM
Oakdale CT
gdonovan Offline
I Live Here
gdonovan  Offline
I Live Here

Oakdale CT
Quote:

Quote:

I'd agree- most, but not all. There are several reports of stack overflow issues in their ECU's. I doubt the majority of their claims were legitimate computing errors though:

"Skid marks notwithstanding, two of the plaintiffs’ software experts, Phillip Koopman, and Michael Barr, provided fascinating insights into the myriad problems with Toyota’s software development process and its source code – possible bit flips, task deaths that would disable the failsafes, memory corruption, single-point failures, inadequate protections against stack overflow and buffer overflow, single-fault containment regions, thousands of global variables. The list of deficiencies in process and product was lengthy."

So how does this prevent the hydraulic brakes from functioning?

Or the key from shutting the engine off?

Or the gearshift lever being moved to neutral?

Driver error. Skid marks from parking brake? duh. I can leave you some a mile or two long if you like. Its for PARKING not stopping the car.

"Jean Bookout and Barbara Schwarz sued Toyota Motor on products liability and wrongful death theories claiming to have been injured and/or damaged in a car wreck in 2007 in Oklahoma County, Oklahoma caused by the 2005 Camry Bookout, age 82"

82? I suspect that is part of the issue right there.

I'm pushing 50 and my reaction time and situational awareness while driving isn't as sharp as it once was which is all part of growing old. 82? Don't get me started..

"I think its got a hemi"
Re: SRT Hellcat wreck [Re: Skeptic] #1714195
01/15/15 12:37 PM
01/15/15 12:37 PM
Northeast
V
VincentVega Offline
super stock
VincentVega  Offline
super stock
V

Northeast
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

There is nothing innocent about it, unethical at best.

It's the automotive trade- I have seen more unethical crap in 30 years most of it at the dealer level than you can shake a stick at.

Someone backing a wrecker into a car for an adjuster to bump a claim would be the least trifling of offensive things I have witnessed.

I'm glad I'm out now.

What would you say if I was on a local chrysler dealership's lot one night, picking up my serviced truck at closing time, when they were moving lot stock back behind the fence...

and the lot jockey was doing this:
1) it was wintertime (cold)
2) jockey gets in unsold vehicle
3) starts engine
4) before you can even bat an eye, puts it to the floor to move it back behind the fence
5) repeat for all the other cars

I don't know about you, but I got two things from that experience
either minimum wage lot labor is an incredibly bad idea, or they were actually trying to spin/gall bearings or cause premature engine damage for warranty work

This was not that many years ago. I want to say '09/'10. I can't speak to the motive, or if that guy was just having a bad night, but I got a sick feeling after seeing that because that's where I bought my vehicle from.

Looking for 1975 through 1978 B body 4 door sedan sheet metal or parts cars - monaco, fury, coronet. Please let me know
Re: SRT Hellcat wreck [Re: VincentVega] #1714196
01/15/15 01:16 PM
01/15/15 01:16 PM
Oakdale CT
gdonovan Offline
I Live Here
gdonovan  Offline
I Live Here

Oakdale CT
Quote:

This was not that many years ago. I want to say '09/'10. I can't speak to the motive, or if that guy was just having a bad night, but I got a sick feeling after seeing that because that's where I bought my vehicle from.

They don't care, not their car.

I berated a member of the sales staff for the same thing years ago. Got in a turbo car, turned the key and stuffed it 3 seconds later.

"I think its got a hemi"
Re: SRT Hellcat wreck [Re: gdonovan] #1714197
01/15/15 01:37 PM
01/15/15 01:37 PM
Northeast
V
VincentVega Offline
super stock
VincentVega  Offline
super stock
V

Northeast
I'm glad you noticed and spoke up. too bad there are so many other people out there that don't care.

If I ever buy a new car again, and this may be a little extreme, I wanted to do a factory order and actually be there when they back it off the car transport.

I honestly can't imagine picking up a hellcat that's been sitting around the dealer.. yeah, no one's going to hop in that and nail it out of the dealership, all fluids cold

Looking for 1975 through 1978 B body 4 door sedan sheet metal or parts cars - monaco, fury, coronet. Please let me know
Re: SRT Hellcat wreck [Re: gdonovan] #1714198
01/15/15 01:43 PM
Plymouth, MI
Blusmbl Offline
master
Blusmbl  Offline
master

Plymouth, MI
Quote:

So how does this prevent the hydraulic brakes from functioning?

Or the key from shutting the engine off?

Or the gearshift lever being moved to neutral?

Driver error. Skid marks from parking brake? duh. I can leave you some a mile or two long if you like. Its for PARKING not stopping the car.

Agree that a proficient driver should be able to recover. That doesn't mean Toyota isn't without fault if the engine runs away without driver input, which is completely possible with stack overflow software issues. There is no way every one of those cars ran away with somebody's foot or floor mat stuck on the pedal.

Re: SRT Hellcat wreck [Re: VincentVega] #1714199
Santa Fe Springs, CA
Dan@Hotchkis Offline
super stock
Dan@Hotchkis  Offline
super stock

Santa Fe Springs, CA
I'm in the same boat. If I were to buy a modern car at today's prices, Id just as soon custom order it and be there at the factory to pick it up as it rolls off the line. Especially in the case of a high performance model.

Re: SRT Hellcat wreck [Re: Dan@Hotchkis] #1714200
01/15/15 03:48 PM
01/15/15 03:48 PM
USA
C
Consulier Offline
enthusiast
Consulier  Offline
enthusiast
C

USA
Had an interesting lunch yesterday and learned some new things about CDR data.

I learned that they can GPS your location and rebuild the point in time that your engine blows on track to make sure you don't get warranty. Even to the point of identifying which corner it was. Even if your car does not have any other GPS antennae visible... Yes, we discussed disabling the antennae and all I got was "Good luck finding it".

It was very enlightening to say the least.

I also confirmed that CDR data is available via the OBD port, but not part of the standard OBD signal. Officers (maybe not all) have the capability to download this data. An OBD port lock was suggested (didn't know they existed) to avoid data being collected without your permission (not at scene, unconscious, etc). The idea that the data is yours until subpoena seemed plausible, but I'm not a lawyer and don't get paid enough to act like one.

Just food for thought... believe it or not, don't ask where it came from.

Re: SRT Hellcat wreck [Re: Consulier] #1714201
01/15/15 03:59 PM
01/15/15 03:59 PM
Oakdale CT
gdonovan Offline
I Live Here
gdonovan  Offline
I Live Here

Oakdale CT
Quote:

Even to the point of identifying which corner it was. Even if your car does not have any other GPS antennae visible... Yes, we discussed disabling the antennae and all I got was "Good luck finding it".

http://www.spyville.com/gps-detector.html

"I think its got a hemi"
Re: SRT Hellcat wreck [Re: gdonovan] #1714202
01/15/15 04:32 PM
01/15/15 04:32 PM
USA
C
Consulier Offline
enthusiast
Consulier  Offline
enthusiast
C

USA
Quote:

Quote:

Even to the point of identifying which corner it was. Even if your car does not have any other GPS antennae visible... Yes, we discussed disabling the antennae and all I got was "Good luck finding it".

http://www.spyville.com/gps-detector.html

"The GPS unit itself does not put any signal out so our GPS detector will not locate any passive gps trackers."

Re: SRT Hellcat wreck [Re: gdonovan] #1714203
01/15/15 05:18 PM
01/15/15 05:18 PM
Salem
Grizzly Offline
Moparts Proctologist
Grizzly  Offline
Moparts Proctologist

Salem
Yeah, so in other words whoever gets to play big brother (insurance company, law enforcement, or the vehicle manufacture) with your VIN, has access from HQ to retrieve CDR data.

No surprise.

A Friend bought a new '99 Duramax and in the first year he owned it, took it hunting. He was backing his hunting shack into their camp and heard a pop in the front-end. Broken CV shaft.

So, he presses onstar. Tells them he needs it out and to the dealer for warranty repair. After confirming some info with him, the Operator says "we can see here that you are not on a public road, therefore you have to tow it yourself and pay the dealer to fix it".

As a Man who would never own anything but a general motors product he stopped everything he was doing, got a flat-bed and literally parked the duramax on the doorstep of the nearest dealer. He cancelled his credit card and stopped payment on his lease. He went to a Ford dealership, made a deal on a Powerstroke and told general motors they would never see him again. He's a hot-head and had the whole thing wrapped up in about 2 days.

That was in late '99 and He still tells that story and proudly drives his Ford.

15 years ago this happened. Imagine what will be available to them 15 years from now.

So, this huge state of denial to honor warranty, pay insurance claims and proof of innocence has quietly taken a gigantic leap in big brothers' favor. As usual, follow the money.

Lastly, for anyone who believes toyota's going WFO on their own was caused by floormats, you really need to do some reading. When a manufacturer comes up with three BS excuses for one problem you really should stop believing what comes next. If they come up with brake-by-wire will you buy one?

Toyota paid dearly to sweep that one under the rug, and it paid off. They are still in business.

Mo' Farts

Moderated by "tbagger".
Re: SRT Hellcat wreck [Re: Consulier] #1714204
01/15/15 05:51 PM
01/15/15 05:51 PM
Oakdale CT
gdonovan Offline
I Live Here
gdonovan  Offline
I Live Here

Oakdale CT
Quote:

"The GPS unit itself does not put any signal out so our GPS detector will not locate any passive gps trackers."

Passive GPS trackers to be effective you need access to the vehicle to download the data, you are pretty much boned at that point if someone is doing that.

"I think its got a hemi"
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4