pgh pa
C
captaindodge Offline
enthusiast
captaindodge  Offline
enthusiast
C

pgh pa
In this tread I said that I had built a 1/8th inch thick shim to correctly position this box on our E Body. It should have read 1/4th inch thick shim. The posting is past the time when I can edit this URL directly.

On page 74 of the Mopar Chassis Modification Book it states:

CAUTION:

To prevent over stressing the steering gear housing
mounting bosses, do not use a shim pack of more
than .090" total thickness.

1/4 inch thick is hardly a "shim".

Re: UPDATED BORGESON FAST RATIO STEERING BOX [Re: captaindodge] #1706572
03/20/15 09:46 PM
03/20/15 09:46 PM
Northern Calyfornua
S
Sxrxrnr Offline
pro stock
Sxrxrnr  Offline
pro stock
S

Northern Calyfornua
Quote:

In this tread I said that I had built a 1/8th inch thick shim to correctly position this box on our E Body. It should have read 1/4th inch thick shim. The posting is past the time when I can edit this URL directly.

CAUTION:

Now you tell me.

Is the concern that with the thick shim on the 2 hole side likely to stress the 1 hole side mounting boss because it no longer sits flush to the K member?

I had thought about this when I shimmed the box and torquing to some 90 pounds(that's a lot of stress on the single hole ear)or so, but was frustrated and exhausted with all the time(and money) that I had invested, that I whistled past the graveyard and moved forward with the installation.

Would some type of tapered shim on the single bolt side address this concern. Not that I have any idea how to create such a beast. Likely a machine shop could do so.

Wonder what Borgeson would have to say on this. Wonder how sturdy their weld job is on these ears. Wonder if it fails and I should survive, if they would honor a warranty claim, likely be charged to user error. Makes sound sleeping at night a bit problematic.

I once had heard(on very good authority) that their test mule to prototype the 'jig' for an E Body was actually to use a "B" body "K" member. Has anyone else heard this and then of course, does it make any difference?

I can hear the chuckles from fellow forum members on a warranty claim being honored all the way out here to Calyfornua. .

Hotchkis: time for the big guns. You spent time dealing with this same issue and of course are heavily experienced in automotive engineering of components. What would be your opinion as to if this is something I should be concerned about?

8466298-image.jpg (174 downloads)
Re: UPDATED BORGESON FAST RATIO STEERING BOX [Re: Sxrxrnr] #1706573
03/20/15 09:51 PM
03/20/15 09:51 PM
Northern Calyfornua
S
Sxrxrnr Offline
pro stock
Sxrxrnr  Offline
pro stock
S

Northern Calyfornua
Just occurred to me that perhaps suspension alignment shims would relieve any stress on single hole boss,,,if is an issue.

Opinions?

Re: UPDATED BORGESON FAST RATIO STEERING BOX [Re: Sxrxrnr] #1706574
03/20/15 10:43 PM
03/20/15 10:43 PM
Norcal
W
Wildjones Offline
Wildjones  Offline
W

Norcal
Quote:

Quote:

CAUTION:

Now you tell me.

Is the concern that with the thick shim on the 2 hole side likely to stress the 1 hole side mounting boss because it no longer sits flush to the K member?

I had thought about this when I shimmed the box and torquing to some 90 pounds(that's a lot of stress on the single hole ear)or so, but was frustrated and exhausted with all the time(and money) that I had invested, that I whistled past the graveyard and moved forward with the installation.

Would some type of tapered shim on the single bolt side address this concern. Not that I have any idea how to create such a beast. Likely a machine shop could do so.

Wonder what Borgeson would have to say on this. Wonder how sturdy their weld job is on these ears. Wonder if it fails and I should survive, if they would honor a warranty claim, likely be charged to user error. Makes sound sleeping at night a bit problematic.

I once had heard(on very good authority) that their test mule to prototype the 'jig' for an E Body was actually to use a "B" body "K" member. Has anyone else heard this and then of course, does it make any difference?

I can hear the chuckles from fellow forum members on a warranty claim being honored all the way out here to Calyfornua. .

Hotchkis: time for the big guns. You spent time dealing with this same issue and of course are heavily experienced in automotive engineering of components. What would be your opinion as to if this is something I should be concerned about?

What caused you to need to shim the position of your box? I was told the angle of the V1 box was ok, but due to many voicing concern they "fixed" it in V2. Was yours really out of whack?

Re: UPDATED BORGESON FAST RATIO STEERING BOX [Re: Wildjones] #1706575
03/21/15 01:16 PM
03/21/15 01:16 PM
Northern Calyfornua
S
Sxrxrnr Offline
pro stock
Sxrxrnr  Offline
pro stock
S

Northern Calyfornua
Refer to URL as posted by supercuda earlier in this thread.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3