M
madscientist Offline
master
madscientist  Offline
master
M

Washington
Quote:

There is always a "grey" area in the rules. It simply said, "fuel must pass this and this spec"..........so if it does NOT say, you can't use this and you can't use this, as long as the fuel passed fuel check, he was legal. Because they DO check pro-Stock fuel after every run. So the obvious answer was "spec fuel". This takes the load off the tech dept and trying to figure out what guys MIGHT come up with for additives.

Don't get me wrong, I am not defending anybody, just pointing out the mindset in a class such as this. EVERY team is looking for ANY advantage they can find and think they can get away with. Just like every chassis builder has body templates and they build the body to those templates. Now what the teams do AFTER that........who knows. Several teams have had bodies tossed and you KNOW it didn't come from Haas, Bickel, or Jones like that.

So bodies "tweaked", blocks bored "not straight", fuel "mixed", "hidden" shifters, "one off" shocks and a myriad of other things is just common everyday events in a class like this, where .001 MATTERS. So in the big picture..........they are ALL "cheaters"........LOL!!......So as smart as all these guys are, when one team all of a sudden "finds" a mph. You can bet they are being "creative" somewhere and tech WILL find it eventually

Monte

You can parse all you want, be here is where we digress. You can say what you want about the fuel Jeg was blending, but I remember that is was BORDERLINE racing gasoline...so I would let that slide.

But no way in hell can you defend what he did as operating in a "grey" area when the rule said the driver had to shift the car, and Jeg's car magically changed gears WITH BOTH HANDS ON THE WHEEL. Now, if you want to say he was "endowed" with a gift that let him shift with out his hands, that's on you.

So, taking it on the whole, Jeg is a bona fide cheater. You can call him "creative". I won't. He was/is/always will be a CHEATER.

Just because you think it won't make it true. Horsepower is KING. To dispute this is stupid. C. Alston
Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... [Re: madscientist] #1698657
11/19/14 06:10 PM
11/19/14 06:10 PM
Sweet Home Alabama
M
MRMOPAR622 Offline
top fuel
MRMOPAR622  Offline
top fuel
M

Sweet Home Alabama
Quote:

Quote:

They ALL cheat is some shape, form or fashion. Some get caught, some don't. The great Smokey Yunick said if you aren't cheating, you aren't winning and that was the cold blooded truth. If you think your favorite team or driver is a bunch of "angels" who never attempts to circumvent the rule book........you live in LaLa land. And another thing, if it doesn't specifically say you CAN'T do something in the rule book, that makes it legal in mosts eyes.

You violate a "written" rule, they hit you pretty hard. Operate in the "grey area" of something not plainly spelled out, you get a "slap" and the rule clarified. Anyone who has ever seriously class raced knows how it works

Monte

I might agree with you on the fuel cheating charge Jeg got popped for. I don't remember the EXACT issue, but it bordered on the fact that what he was blending was almost not a "gasoline" or even a "racing fuel". I really just kind of blew that off as racers being racers, then the details came out. I then thought maybe Jeg was over the line.

BUT, when he was caught, red handed, in Seattle, I realized that probably the fuel deal was as big a deal as WJ (and several others) made it out to be. The cheating is Seattle was the fact that at that time, in Pro Stock you could use an "electronic" shifter. I can't remember what the actual rule was (I don't save all my rule books any more) but the driver was still supposed to push the little button on top of the shifter. For the record, I hated the rule when it came out. Anyway, they (ESPN cameras) caught JEG, with BOTH hands on the wheel and the car shifting. We could all see it, and Ray Charles could hear it. The car was loose, but it shifted, and Jeg had BOTH hands on the wheel.

Yup, that's a CHEATER. By the money [Edited by Moparts - Family Friendly Site - Keep it clean] (prostitute) AKA NHRA did very little because they didn't want to kill that goose.

Jeg=Cheater. Plain and simple.

Well Hell that's nothing new,us Bracket Racers have auto shifts for years,nothing like having both hands on the wheel and the shift noid not only shifts it into the next gear but shifts it at the perfect & same RPM everytime! Us Bracket Racers have lots more things than just shift noids,and it would not surprise me if some of them had made their way into Pro-Stock as well other class's.

It matters not what class you Race if you want to Win you have got to do what ever it takes.

"To Be The Man'You Have Got To Beat The Man" "T/D and Pro-Bracket Racer"
Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... [Re: MRMOPAR622] #1698658
11/19/14 06:33 PM
11/19/14 06:33 PM
Pittsburgh PA
Eric Offline
top fuel
Eric  Offline
top fuel

Pittsburgh PA
I always failed to see even the most remote gratification in a win with anything but integrity. Maybe thats just me.

5.53 @ 125 1/8th on the launch control..more left in her!

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... [Re: Eric] #1698659
11/19/14 06:45 PM
11/19/14 06:45 PM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
The more money involved..........the more the "win at all costs" mentality prevails. In the PRO ranks.....it is strictly BUSINESS.

Just like everyone harping on Force and Schumaker teams allegedly "diving" to help team mates win the title. It's strickly a business decision and part of the reason for multi car teams. Same way NASCAR teams have other members "block" or "wreck" somebody to help their guys win. All the same.........WIN.

I do "hidden" nitrous systems for guys all the time. What they do with them is their business. Have also built "on board" VHT sprayer systems for street racers. What about 500" motors with 383 "pie tins" on the breather. There is a fine line between what many call "cheating" and others call "creativity"

Not saying it is right..........its just how it is

Monte

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... [Re: Monte_Smith] #1698660
11/19/14 07:00 PM
11/19/14 07:00 PM
Western New York
sixpackbee Offline
master
sixpackbee  Offline
master

Western New York
I've been in the racing arena for several decades, drag and round track, and I have seen thousands of ways to get an edge. Off axis blocks, massaging sheet metal, propylene oxide in the oil pan ect are just ways of riding the rule book as hard as you can. If you do not the competition will and you will loose. For these types of things cheating is too harsh a word. Cheating to me is 600" when 500" is legal. Using a 4bbl. where a 2bbl. is rule. Blatant disregard for the rules. While all rules have gotten more concise there are still areas that can be successfully argued in tear down. Typically when a competitor wins the battle rules are more clearly defined the next year. PS fuel for instance. Only one fuel allowed now and is distributed by NHRA to the teams at the track. Ended the Klotz and other stuff monkey business.

1959 Bugeye Sprite
1967 Charger Black L code
1967 Coronet R/T Convert Green 440 auto bought from original owner
1968 Charger R/T Bronze 440 4 spd console AM/FM
1969 Super Bee WM21H B5 A40 D21 N96
1969 Barracuda Formula S 340 Convert pilot car
1969 Hemi Road Runner RM23J D32 Omaha orange 4.10 Dana N96 N85
1970 Super Bee WM23N FE5 V1X 3.91 axle package, N96
1970 Road Runner RM21N B3 V1X D13
1971 MG Midget
1971 Road Runner RM23H GW3, A57
1972 Road Runner RM23P FY1, D21
Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... [Re: Monte_Smith] #1698661
11/19/14 07:19 PM
11/19/14 07:19 PM
Pittsburgh PA
Eric Offline
top fuel
Eric  Offline
top fuel

Pittsburgh PA
Quote:

The more money involved..........the more the "win at all costs" mentality prevails. In the PRO ranks.....it is strictly BUSINESS.

Just like everyone harping on Force and Schumaker teams allegedly "diving" to help team mates win the title. It's strickly a business decision and part of the reason for multi car teams. Same way NASCAR teams have other members "block" or "wreck" somebody to help their guys win. All the same.........WIN.

I do "hidden" nitrous systems for guys all the time. What they do with them is their business. Have also built "on board" VHT sprayer systems for street racers. What about 500" motors with 383 "pie tins" on the breather. There is a fine line between what many call "cheating" and others call "creativity"

Monte

Perfect example as to why I have no time for professional sports of any kind.

5.53 @ 125 1/8th on the launch control..more left in her!

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... [Re: Eric] #1698662
11/19/14 07:45 PM
11/19/14 07:45 PM
Park Forest, IL
slantzilla Offline
Too Many Posts
slantzilla  Offline
Too Many Posts

Park Forest, IL
Jeg was not the only one using Rocket Fuel. Pretty sure Star Racing was too, and even Dave Schultz. Pretty sure some of the other P/S teams were too. The biggest reason they outlawed it wasn't the performance advantage, the stuff was highly carcinogenic, and a major health risk.

As for the fires under the cars, that was simply high float levels sloshing fuel out through the cylinders and into the headers on shutdown. There have been pictures posted of almost every car doing it at one time or another.

"Everybody funny, now you funny too."
Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... [Re: 70AARcuda] #1698663
11/19/14 07:48 PM
11/19/14 07:48 PM
Florida
mack Offline
mack  Offline

Florida
Quote:

Mark Ingersoll won't be unemployed for long. Richard Freeman has confirmed to us that Elite Motorsports is in the process of hiring the championship tuner. Look for a formal announcement as soon as next week.

This shouldn't be a big surprise... I know that J & J used Rick Jones chassis for many years. I think the year before the championship J&J got a Haas chassis and has ran them since... They got Jim Yates to help with the Mountain View program and help set up the new Haas cars... The Mountain View car was also a Haas car.... The Elite cars are Rick Jones cars.. What Mark knows like the "back of his hand".. No great big surprise him moving to what he knows best... Question now is will J&J get to keep Yates ???? Hope so, since he knows the Haas cars....

Last edited by mack; 11/19/14 07:54 PM.
Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... [Re: madscientist] #1698664
11/19/14 07:59 PM
11/19/14 07:59 PM
W. Kentucky
justinp61 Offline
I Live Here
justinp61  Offline
I Live Here

W. Kentucky
Quote:

But no way in hell can you defend what he did as operating in a "grey" area when the rule said the driver had to shift the car, and Jeg's car magically changed gears WITH BOTH HANDS ON THE WHEEL. Now, if you want to say he was "endowed" with a gift that let him shift with out his hands, that's on you.

So, taking it on the whole, Jeg is a bona fide cheater. You can call him "creative". I won't. He was/is/always will be a CHEATER.

Maybe he had his shift button on the steering wheel.

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... [Re: Monte_Smith] #1698665
11/19/14 08:40 PM
11/19/14 08:40 PM
Sweet Home Alabama
M
MRMOPAR622 Offline
top fuel
MRMOPAR622  Offline
top fuel
M

Sweet Home Alabama
Quote:

Monte

Monte,lets keep our Grudge & Bracket Racing secret's a secret!
I bet everybody thinks that's a Joke,but its not!Some of us have things that others looking for it can look right at it and not see it!

"To Be The Man'You Have Got To Beat The Man" "T/D and Pro-Bracket Racer"
Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... [Re: MRMOPAR622] #1698666
11/19/14 09:23 PM
11/19/14 09:23 PM
Worst Weather USA
493_DART Offline
master
493_DART  Offline
master

Worst Weather USA
Im willing to drive a 2nd car for J&J next season , for FREE

give me a call Roy !!

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... [Re: MRMOPAR622] #1698667
11/20/14 03:04 PM
11/20/14 03:04 PM
Norwalk Ohio
cudasteve68 Offline
enthusiast
cudasteve68  Offline
enthusiast

Norwalk Ohio
Quote:

Quote:

Monte

Monte,lets keep our Grudge & Bracket Racing secret's a secret!
I bet everybody thinks that's a Joke,but its not!Some of us have things that others looking for it can look right at it and not see it!

Yeah like my next neighbor that mud drags a Bronco with a very strong 514. He ran two classes. One with spray the other was not allowed spray. I asked him one time after about a 6-pack in the garage if anyone bitched that his NOS lines where rolled in the back in a coil and about 4 feet to long. He just smiled and said they do not have a clue.

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... [Re: Eric] #1698668
11/20/14 03:22 PM
11/20/14 03:22 PM
New Lenox IL
cudadon Offline
top fuel
cudadon  Offline
top fuel

New Lenox IL
Quote:

I always failed to see even the most remote gratification in a win with anything but integrity. Maybe thats just me.

I always wondered how people who cheated to win sleep at night!

Or looked their competitors in the eye!
Don

8336924-8-2-093ofus.jpg (32 downloads)
Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... [Re: cudadon] #1698669
11/20/14 03:28 PM
11/20/14 03:28 PM
Idaho
1320Dart Offline
mopar
1320Dart  Offline
mopar

Idaho
How could a person honestly feel good about their win, knowing damn good and well they cheated?!

Greg

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Cost is irrelevant, making memories is far more valuable!biggrin
Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... [Re: 1320Dart] #1698670
11/20/14 03:37 PM
11/20/14 03:37 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
Quote:

How could a person honestly feel good about their win, knowing damn good and well they cheated?!

The devil, ego, corrupts many people at many levels in every walk of life, especially in sports and politics I like to be honest, straight forward and not have to remember which lie I told to which person

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... [Re: Cab_Burge] #1698671
11/20/14 04:44 PM
11/20/14 04:44 PM
Idaho
1320Dart Offline
mopar
1320Dart  Offline
mopar

Idaho
Quote:

Quote:

The devil, ego, corrupts many people at many levels in every walk of life, especially in sports and politics I like to be honest, straight forward and not have to remember which lie I told to which person

I guess I'm wired a bit differently. If I won an event, and got a trophy or something, and knowing I didn't get it honestly. I would feel sick to my stomach and couldn't be happy about it at all.

Greg

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Cost is irrelevant, making memories is far more valuable!biggrin
Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... [Re: 1320Dart] #1698672
11/20/14 04:53 PM
11/20/14 04:53 PM
Park Forest, IL
slantzilla Offline
Too Many Posts
slantzilla  Offline
Too Many Posts

Park Forest, IL
Quote:

I guess I'm wired a bit differently. If I won an event, and got a trophy or something, and knowing I didn't get it honestly. I would feel sick to my stomach and couldn't be happy about it at all.

I believe that is what is known as having a conscience.

"Everybody funny, now you funny too."
Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... [Re: slantzilla] #1698673
11/20/14 07:10 PM
11/20/14 07:10 PM
fredericksburg,va
C
cudaman1969 Offline
master
cudaman1969  Offline
master
C

fredericksburg,va
My wifes a teacher and the kids told her only if you get caught is it a crime, 95 out of 100 kids think this way, wonder where it came from?

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5