Moparts

Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too...

Posted By: Al_Alguire

Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/13/14 08:09 PM

http://www.competitionplus.com/drag-racing/rumor-mill/29460-jeggie-stepping-out-of-pro-stock

Not a lot of details there but Pro Stock will likely struggle even more to fill a field. They had issues this year and with Connelly, Morgan and now Coughlin leaving who knows what it will look like. Guess it is good news for the ole Warfish camp making fields in a ferd
Posted By: madscientist

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/13/14 08:30 PM

So the cheater is leaving AGAIN. Bummer. I would have rather kept the kid than jeggie.

Let me see...needs time for the business...wants more time for the family...blah blah blah.

Don't know what the contract looked like with J&J racing, but it may hurt their funding a bit.

I, for one, am glad to see him leave....again.
Posted By: 1320Dart

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/13/14 09:25 PM

Quote:

http://www.competitionplus.com/drag-racing/rumor-mill/29460-jeggie-stepping-out-of-pro-stock

Not a lot of details there but Pro Stock will likely struggle even more to fill a field. They had issues this year and with Connelly, Morgan and now Coughlin leaving who knows what it will look like. Guess it is good news for the ole Warfish camp making fields in a ferd

Damn! One less Mopar in the field. I HATE to see that.
Posted By: BBR

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/13/14 09:32 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Damn! One less Mopar in the field. I HATE to see that.

Me too.
Posted By: MRMOPAR622

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/13/14 09:44 PM

I had rather see him in a Mopar than a chevy or ford,because if he can just make it into the show he can Win the race.Also he takes a lot of $$$ as well as knowledge to what ever Team/Brand he goes to.And worst of all I would hate to see the Johnson's performance drop off from lack of $$$,lets face it they are the very best thing that ever happen to Mopar not to mention the nicest people you will find in all of NHRA!
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/13/14 10:26 PM

LOTS of rumors flying around. Heck I heard one the other day that had Morgan going back to a Dodge.
Posted By: dakotawilly

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/13/14 10:27 PM

maybe with jeg leaving troy or one of the others will step up,although,it wouldnt surprise me a bit if mopar yanks the funding from j&j.they seem to b on a roll for not paying their bills.pro stock being without a doubt the most expensive and competetive class ever for naturally aspirated engines, it would be tough for anybody to compete,much less win.lets all hope there will be others to fill the mopar shoes respectably.we need the expertise and r&d to keep a program up front of the new design cyl head every 20 minutes gang...
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/13/14 11:01 PM

I think Pro Stock as it is now has to be one of the most boring classes since the 8.90 / 9.90 BS
WHO CARES?? Those funny cars on gas do not sell cars for Dodge/ Ford/ Chevy IMO
Start all over--Keep the name and use new Mustangs, Camaros, Challengers with a set of headers and an 10 inch slick and let the DRIVERS go at it. I would pay to watch a field of a hundred or so go to war on each other--make it a Session--back to back hot lapping--showroom stock except open headers and slicks--autos have to run factory converter and trans with zero mods--4 speeds get a pass on good clutch and bell otherwise showroom stock--Every guy in the USA that has a car could spend $2k on it and be ready to race --get an NHRA membership/ license etc and Violia!! I just saved the NHRA
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/13/14 11:28 PM

His deal with Mopar was only for 3 years and it ends this season. Everyone knows he will be in a bowtie in 16....

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/13/14 11:30 PM

The Pro Stock class still has to be my favorite. Main reason is the still resemble a friggin car. Funny cars are just arrow dynamic flying bricks. The only way you know what they are is because of the paint job. If they weren't allowed paint, they would all look alike. If you wanted to make that class really cool, then make it a rule with the funny car class, that the car must be made from a real car again. Like they did when the class first started out.

Attached picture 8330158-ARealFunnycar.PNG
Posted By: BradH

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/13/14 11:43 PM

I don't consider it boring, just a rich man's game and something I can't relate to anymore. The days of seeing "real" production-based cars is looooooong gone.

The current level of participation is pitiful, and if the class was dropped, is the NHRA really going to care? They've been breathing nitro fumes for so long that I think they believe the whole show could be Top Fuel, Funny Car and Pro Mod... and maybe not even Pro Mod.

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/14/14 12:39 AM

I for one will be glued to the computer and tv this coming weekend to see the last race of the 2014 season. Who will win????? The young lady or the guy with the checkered past. I for one hopes Erica wins the title. I love pro-stock and really wish there was still a pro-stock truck class too as that injected a lot a small block parts into the Mopar market.
Posted By: 11secdart

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/14/14 12:49 AM

Who didn`t see that coming, if he does`t Win he jumps brands, he will be in Bowtie junk before the season starts.
Posted By: W.I.N. Racing

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/14/14 01:05 AM

Quote:

So the cheater is leaving AGAIN.

Please elaborate...how/when did he cheat????
Posted By: RV2

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/14/14 02:13 AM

Quote:

Quote:

He meant connely
Posted By: Spaceman Spiff

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/14/14 02:35 AM

Quote:

I think Pro Stock as it is now has to be one of the most boring classes since the 8.90 / 9.90 BS
Start all over--Keep the name and use new Mustangs, Camaros, Challengers with a set of headers and an 10 inch slick and let the DRIVERS go at it. I would pay to watch a field of a hundred or so go to war on each other--make it a Session--back to back hot lapping--showroom stock except open headers and slicks--autos have to run factory converter and trans with zero mods--4 speeds get a pass on good clutch and bell otherwise showroom stock--Every guy in the USA that has a car could spend $2k on it and be ready to race --get an NHRA membership/ license etc and Violia!! I just saved the NHRA

The problem with that is, who's going to leave their job to dedicate themselves to running the circuit?
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/14/14 02:50 AM

Quote:

Quote:

The problem with that is, who's going to leave their job to dedicate themselves to running the circuit?

There is a real dilemma. With insurance costs, maintenance, costs, staff, equipment, etc., a track has to be able to draw a large crowd and charge huge fees to stay afloat. The only way to do that is with the high dollar pro categories. Let's face it, run a raceday without any pro categories and you're lucky if you can squeeze $15. out of a spectator and if they get 5 spectators for every racecar they'd be doing good! That just doesn't pay the bills.

Honestly, I think a lot of tracks only exist because they're money laundering.
Posted By: rickstershemi

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/14/14 02:53 AM

Quote:

Yeah....lets get rid of those boring ass superclass index racers....hell they only account for 200-300 cars at each divisional and national race....shouldn't create any impact at all....DUH

While we're at it lets kill bracket racing too....one car leaving before another....that's not racing (temper flaring...lol)

Rant Over

Rickster
Posted By: J_BODY

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/14/14 03:18 AM

DAMN AL!!! should have kept the 99 HEMI. You could have qualified for prostock in Vegas!!!
Posted By: jake4cars

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/14/14 04:04 AM

Quote:

sounds like a cool idea, will it fly, not likely

Joey
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/14/14 05:15 AM

Quote:

Quote:

sounds like a cool idea, will it fly, not likely

Joey

They already are doing that, its called Factory Stock.
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/14/14 10:10 AM

Spend $2K on stock cars and people will pay to see them thumping on each other?

Posted By: Joesixpack

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/14/14 02:47 PM

Jeggie leaving...seems he makes a habit of that....J&J will have to fill his shoes with a new driver....you cant run a single car team in Pro Stock nowdays and expect to compete...for wins&championships,simple as that. data acquisition paramount...seems J&J have lost any competitive advantage they held in 2012 and 2013...Jeggie had to PTT push the tree this year and ended up with more red lights than any time in his career.

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/14/14 04:10 PM

Quote:

Jeggie leaving...seems he makes a habit of that....J&J will have to fill his shoes with a new driver....you cant run a single car team in Pro Stock nowdays and expect to compete...for wins&championships,simple as that. data acquisition paramount...seems J&J have lost any competitive advantage they held in 2012 and 2013...Jeggie had to PTT push the tree this year and ended up with more red lights than any time in his career.

Its not as simple as just finding a driver, you have to find a good driver that also brings money to the table. Its not a FREE ride.
Posted By: sixpackbee

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/14/14 04:13 PM

Pro Stock is done at the end of 2016 anyhow. Pro Mod or some form thereof will be the new door car class. The Factory Stock shootouts are going to get ramped up too. Nice NHRA gave them their own classes. Now my junk my be competitive again.
Posted By: Eric

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/14/14 04:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Yeah....lets get rid of those boring ass superclass index racers....hell they only account for 200-300 cars at each divisional and national race....shouldn't create any impact at all....DUH

While we're at it lets kill bracket racing too....one car leaving before another....that's not racing (temper flaring...lol)

Rant Over

Rickster

Come on now Rick....you know were just there to pay for the event and let the Pros have time to cool off between rounds..

I swear...sometimes I wonder what kind of racing half the guys here really like at all.

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/14/14 05:11 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Its not as simple as just finding a driver, you have to find a good driver that also brings money to the table. Its not a FREE ride.

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/14/14 05:22 PM

Quote:

Quote:

That will not be a problem at all,there are far more people now days who do not have a job and do not want a job,Than People With Jobs. I just wish they were not allowed to Vote!
Posted By: Steve1118

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/14/14 06:00 PM

Personally, I'm not surprised. That is a lot of time on the road, and Jeggie has big time business commitments as well as a family to raise. He's a good guy....it's hard to be a good dad when you're never around.

Someone will step into that ride, J&J will have a two car team. Could it be Morgan?
Posted By: 70AARcuda

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/14/14 10:26 PM

AJ crew chief Mark Ingersoll was moving on at end of season, so AJ let him go at Pomona, brought in Jim Yates for this race...
Posted By: B1CUDA

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/14/14 11:22 PM

Quote:

Someone will step into that ride, J&J will have a two car team. Could it be Morgan?

It absolutely WILL NOT be Larry Morgan. Here is a little back story..... A few years back, I had a Pro Stock Hemi, and was buying parts from various PS teams, J&J being one of the main teams. Roy Johnson and I seemed to have a nice bond. Having said that, when Morgan told everyone he was going to Ford, he did not tell everyone that he was taking the same exact MOPAR HEMI with him, and all of the R&D that went in to making that motor competitive.(Putting valve covers, among some other minor changes, turned the Mopar Hemi, into a Ford Hemi) Out of respect for Roy, I will just say that, in no way, shape, or form, will Morgan ever be affiliated with a PS Mopar, while J&J are still around.
Posted By: Streetwize

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/14/14 11:49 PM

Wonder what Gomer (DA) is up to these days??

SHA-ZAAAM!!!!

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/15/14 12:16 AM

I'm not sure pro mod will be a substitute the way it's evolving. Most of the new pro mods look like bars of soap that have been left in the shower too long. Remove the stickers and you can't tell one from another.... just like funny car and the naturally aspirated funny cars we have now (pro stock).
Posted By: E-Ticket

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/15/14 01:24 AM

AJ needs a quality driver in the seat of the other car that is lightning quick on the lights like a Dave Connolly or an Erica Enders can provide.....

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/15/14 01:40 AM

That Vincent Nobile kid is pretty good, too bad we can't get John to throw his $$$$ behind the Mountain View car as the other dodge.

The Mopar camp is down on bullets and the competition has all stepped up its game.

The very BEST scenario is for J&J to pair up full open disclosure with V Gaines/Madcap and then get them 2 of the best double-O hired guns to drive the cars.

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/15/14 01:58 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Rant Over

Rickster

Come on now Rick....you know were just there to pay for the event and let the Pros have time to cool off between rounds..

I swear...sometimes I wonder what kind of racing half the guys here really like at all.

I hear Ya Erik...It Befuddles me...all one has to do is research the numbers of racers in these classes and multiply that by $300+ a race....

I'm the one that goes for a beer and a sammich when the pro's line up

Rickster
Posted By: Monte_Smith

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/15/14 02:19 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Rant Over

Rickster

I hear Ya Erik...It Befuddles me...all one has to do is research the numbers of racers in these classes and multiply that by $300+ a race....

Rickster

Butts in the stands is what counts, because they don't give any of that money back, like they have to with entry fees. Sorry, but not many spectators go to see the sportsman cars and we all KNOW that.

Monte

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/15/14 02:48 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Rant Over

Rickster

Rickster

Butts in the stands is what counts, because they don't give any of that money back, like they have to with entry fees. Sorry, but not many spectators go to see the sportsman cars and we all KNOW that.

Monte

You Lose the Sportsman and you can kiss drag racing goodbye....period.

Same goes for Outlaw....why the lower index classes ... the majority of racers are the lower classes....lose them and we all lose...just my

Rickster
Posted By: cgall

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/15/14 03:03 AM

The brothers bought out Dad and own the business now. I will venture to say that they decided the ROI for Pro Stock has dipped so low that they are not willing to fund it, even if it is a losing proposition to stay out there with Summit. They fund a number of Sportsman cars and a roundy-round car, whatever budget they came up with for 2015 did not cover a P/S car.
Posted By: cudadoug

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/15/14 03:13 AM

Quote:

Quote:

It absolutely WILL NOT be Larry Morgan. Here is a little back story..... A few years back, I had a Pro Stock Hemi, and was buying parts from various PS teams, J&J being one of the main teams. Roy Johnson and I seemed to have a nice bond. Having said that, when Morgan told everyone he was going to Ford, he did not tell everyone that he was taking the same exact MOPAR HEMI with him, and all of the R&D that went in to making that motor competitive.(Putting valve covers, among some other minor changes, turned the Mopar Hemi, into a Ford Hemi) Out of respect for Roy, I will just say that, in no way, shape, or form, will Morgan ever be affiliated with a PS Mopar, while J&J are still around.

Guess "making it a Ford" cost about 100 HP, based on the MPH I've seen Morgan run...

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/15/14 04:08 AM

Larry was never really one of the top dogs went he had the dodge program either..
Posted By: coletrickle

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/15/14 04:12 AM

I just checked the first two rounds of qualifying at pomona and saw that Matt Hartford has also decided to give mopar the flick he's in the nitro fish "Monaro"GPX.I'd say M.Hartford has been spending a lot and it's not payig off but spend that cash on an old Pontiac and ...Maybe tnix will spur mopar i to action but i doubt it.

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/15/14 04:38 AM

Quote:

I just checked the first two rounds of qualifying at pomona and saw that Matt Hartford has also decided to give mopar the flick he's in the nitro fish "Monaro"GPX.I'd say M.Hartford has been spending a lot and it's not payig off but spend that cash on an old Pontiac and ...Maybe tnix will spur mopar i to action but i doubt it.

Matt's Avenger never seem to want to 60 ft well even with J&J horsepower....and now with Elite Power in the Pontiac...still not climbing the ladder.

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/15/14 06:38 AM

You can't be top dog with old equipment. Just a WAG, but I'm thinking blocker for EE since it's Elite power.

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/16/14 06:18 AM

Mark Ingersoll won't be unemployed for long. Richard Freeman has confirmed to us that Elite Motorsports is in the process of hiring the championship tuner. Look for a formal announcement as soon as next week.
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/16/14 06:38 AM

Quote:

I for one will be glued to the computer and tv this coming weekend to see the last race of the 2014 season. Who will win????? The young lady or the guy with the checkered past. I for one hopes Erica wins the title. I love pro-stock and really wish there was still a pro-stock truck class too as that injected a lot a small block parts into the Mopar market.

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/16/14 04:51 PM

Quote:

My guess is that after Matt put his car on its roof the Pontiac is the best car he could come up with ???????
Used Mopar Prostockers are not that easy to come by and new ones take more than a few weeks to get. I don't KNOW the actuality of his situation but he is/was running a Mopar with out Mopar sponsorship so I stand behind him....so should any Mopar fan 'til we see where this ends up. Hoping he stays with Mopar!
As for Jeggie leaving, any of you ever park a race car due to LIFEs obligations...stop throwing stones.
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/16/14 05:11 PM

Throwing stones seems to be the favorite pastime of some here.
Posted By: coletrickle

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/17/14 02:54 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Matt's Avenger never seem to want to 60 ft well even with J&J horsepower....and now with Elite Power in the Pontiac...still not climbing the ladder.

Didn't know Matt crashed his avenger,and hopefully he was just renting a ride while he's getting another mopar.I've been cheering for him since he came over from the import racing and when he had nickens engines for me he was the true underdog.
Posted By: Adrielp

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/17/14 05:02 PM

J&J rehired Jim Yates but I wonder if it was smart to let Mark Ingersoll go. I can't help but wonder that their collaboration is what brought the championship home to Mopar for two years, not one individual or the other. We will see if at the very least, Jim can get the car to be more consistent. With the expectations to finish higher in the points, Mark really struggled to make the best calls on the car throughout the season and especially down the stretch.

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/17/14 05:30 PM

Jim Yates may have been in for just that race and they said the Dart has a very little chassis tuning window. Either its on or off big time. Time will tell.
Posted By: Hemi Joe

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/17/14 06:24 PM

I for one really enjoy Pro Stock, however, I'am not interested in watching an all Chevrolet Show. It appeared to me, that after Denver on the western swing the Dodges were no longer competative, something happened! Did NHRA change the rules for them or what! It has been quite obvious that they want the Chevies to win!
As for Erica, I almost fell off my chair last night when they interviewed her dad when he said, that it took 22 years and 20 MILLION DOLLARS to get to this point! That's what is wrong with pro stock! Jeggie will be greatly missed, he is a class act and a good representative for Mopar! HEMI JOE

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/17/14 06:43 PM

Quote:

I for one really enjoy Pro Stock, however, I'am not interested in watching an all Chevrolet Show. It appeared to me, that after Denver on the western swing the Dodges were no longer competative, something happened! Did NHRA change the rules for them or what! It has been quite obvious that they want the Chevies to win!
As for Erica, I almost fell off my chair last night when they interviewed her dad when he said, that it took 22 years and 20 MILLION DOLLARS to get to this point! That's what is wrong with pro stock! Jeggie will be greatly missed, he is a class act and a good representative for Mopar! HEMI JOE

Don't forget when he said that she (Erica) started out in JR dragsters many, many years ago. Did you ever see how some of these people attend these races? I heard some of the Jr's engines run into the 10's of thousands of dollars. Its CRAZY.

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/17/14 06:54 PM

The Chevies have pulled ahead a bit because the new DRCE4 head is now in use for most of the teams. Dodge could use a new head but with PS on its way out I doubt you see it.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/17/14 08:21 PM

Quote:

In EE's early years, what I heard Daddy was the problem, he always was smarter than his engine builder, smarter than his chassis guy, don't know why they didn't go fast.

As far as the money spent on the JR.
People know when "stupid money" comes through the door.

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/17/14 08:32 PM

Quote:

Jim Yates may have been in for just that race and they said the Dart has a very little chassis tuning window. Either its on or off big time. Time will tell.

Sounds like a chassis builder problem like the year before AJ's championship. They switched builders and the consistency came back. Seems like things are repeating themselves but worse.

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/17/14 08:35 PM

Mark Ingersoll had informed AJ that he was leaving after the season was over. AJ just went ahead and release him one race earier. And the Jim Yates was a one race deal.

Rumor is that Mark will be Crew Chief on an another Elite power Camaro driven by Drew Skillman.

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/17/14 09:10 PM

Skillman will be tough. He's a wheel man for sure.

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/17/14 09:39 PM

Quote:

Mark Ingersoll had informed AJ that he was leaving after the season was over. AJ just went ahead and release him one race earier. And the Jim Yates was a one race deal.

Rumor is that Mark will be Crew Chief on an another Elite power Camaro driven by Drew Skillman.

Wow, didn't think it would've gone down like that especially after them having a lesser season so to speak and the history that Mark and AJ had but I guess everything can only last but so long. I sure hope AJ and team find someone good to replace Mark. I look forward to seeing who they hire. Maybe they can get Edwards to come out of retirement.

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/18/14 03:13 AM

they need to bring Austrialian pro stock here.... those "small block" videos are awesome!
Posted By: 300by500

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/18/14 04:58 AM

With the direction it is going, here's what a 16 car Pro Stock field will be in 2016:

Camaro
Camaro
Camaro
Camaro
Camaro
Camaro
Camaro
Camaro
Camaro
Camaro
Camaro
Camaro
Camaro
Camaro
Camaro
Camaro

*yuck*

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/18/14 07:33 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Maybe some one already answered this but I'm not reading the whole thread.

He was caught cheating on fuel at one point, and the gist of it was they were brewing their own crap and they were using know cancer causing agents in the fuel (among other things), and I don't remember the year.

The second time he was CAUGHT (I'm sure he was cheating long before he was caught) cheating with an automatic shifter. This happened in Seattle and again, I don't remember the year. Both times earned a rule change and a slap on the wrist.

He's a cheater and I'm glad to see him out of a Dodge.

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/18/14 07:37 AM

the cheater comment was probably in relation to dave connelly not jeggy

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/18/14 07:44 AM

Quote:

No, it wasn't. I made the comment and I meant exactly what I said, and what I posted two posts before this one.
Posted By: Spaceman Spiff

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/18/14 01:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

No, it wasn't. I made the comment and I meant exactly what I said, and what I posted two posts before this one.

so you weren't a fan of The Wayne county team either then right??
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/18/14 02:48 PM

Quote:

The Chevies have pulled ahead a bit because the new DRCE4 head is now in use for most of the teams. Dodge could use a new head but with PS on its way out I doubt you see it.

I thought it was because of the new $6500 11 3/4 ring & pinion rear end with allmost no friction?

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/18/14 04:06 PM

By and large the only difference between cars is the power plant and sheet metal. Pretty much all the other stuff is common use. May be a few clutch/trans combinations that differ too. Personally if they want to save the class they need to look into engines that more closely resemble current offerings and FI with a flat hood so the cars look more in line too. Maybe factory stock type cars, COPO, Cobra Jet, Drag Pak, but with larger displacement and more advanced heads/valve train.

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/18/14 07:02 PM

They ALL cheat is some shape, form or fashion. Some get caught, some don't. The great Smokey Yunick said if you aren't cheating, you aren't winning and that was the cold blooded truth. If you think your favorite team or driver is a bunch of "angels" who never attempts to circumvent the rule book........you live in LaLa land. And another thing, if it doesn't specifically say you CAN'T do something in the rule book, that makes it legal in mosts eyes.

You violate a "written" rule, they hit you pretty hard. Operate in the "grey area" of something not plainly spelled out, you get a "slap" and the rule clarified. Anyone who has ever seriously class raced knows how it works

Monte

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/18/14 07:49 PM

The most clever thing I heard of was when GA and then later both Summit cars were dominant using the '85 degree' blocks. The decks were 90 degrees as were the bottoms of the bores (relative to one another), but the bores were offset 2 1/2 degrees toward the thrust angles in the block which reduced friction on the induction and power strokes (but conversely increased friction....less significantly.....on the compression and exhaust cycles).

Allegedly they got away with this for quite some time before they wrote rules specifically against doing it. It was a trick learned from the NASCAR guys.

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/18/14 07:58 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^And stuff like THIS is why Pro-Stock is stupid expensive. You do what everybody else does, or lease motors from someone else, you will only EVER be as fast as they are. To go to the TOP, you have to think outside the box and try some crazy stuff. And that type development is CRAZY expensive, especially when it does NOT work and you have several VERY expensive door stops sitting around.

I was in Steve Schmidts shop several years ago and there was about a 20x20 storage room piled to the roof with heads, manifolds and camshafts. I asked him what that stuff was. Those were the parts that did NOT work. Hundreds of thousands of dollars in parts that amounted to junk

Monte

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/19/14 02:57 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

so you weren't a fan of The Wayne county team either then right??

Sure wasn't. Cheaters and thieves are nothing but kissing cousins.

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/19/14 03:06 AM

Quote:

They ALL cheat is some shape, form or fashion. Some get caught, some don't. The great Smokey Yunick said if you aren't cheating, you aren't winning and that was the cold blooded truth. If you think your favorite team or driver is a bunch of "angels" who never attempts to circumvent the rule book........you live in LaLa land. And another thing, if it doesn't specifically say you CAN'T do something in the rule book, that makes it legal in mosts eyes.

You violate a "written" rule, they hit you pretty hard. Operate in the "grey area" of something not plainly spelled out, you get a "slap" and the rule clarified. Anyone who has ever seriously class raced knows how it works

Monte

I might agree with you on the fuel cheating charge Jeg got popped for. I don't remember the EXACT issue, but it bordered on the fact that what he was blending was almost not a "gasoline" or even a "racing fuel". I really just kind of blew that off as racers being racers, then the details came out. I then thought maybe Jeg was over the line.

BUT, when he was caught, red handed, in Seattle, I realized that probably the fuel deal was as big a deal as WJ (and several others) made it out to be. The cheating is Seattle was the fact that at that time, in Pro Stock you could use an "electronic" shifter. I can't remember what the actual rule was (I don't save all my rule books any more) but the driver was still supposed to push the little button on top of the shifter. For the record, I hated the rule when it came out. Anyway, they (ESPN cameras) caught JEG, with BOTH hands on the wheel and the car shifting. We could all see it, and Ray Charles could hear it. The car was loose, but it shifted, and Jeg had BOTH hands on the wheel.

Yup, that's a CHEATER. By the money [Edited by Moparts - Family Friendly Site - Keep it clean] (prostitute) AKA NHRA did very little because they didn't want to kill that goose.

Jeg=Cheater. Plain and simple.

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/19/14 03:28 AM

Jeg (and others) were using propylene oxide. Nasty stuff, especially if no one is aware it is there.

Jeg got caught with an MSD fired air shifter, which lead to the manual shift rule.

Jeg also got seen on video letting go of a steering wheel mounted button in his Drag Pack. He has not raced the car since.

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/19/14 03:33 AM

Quote:

Jeg also got seen on video letting go of a steering wheel mounted button in his Drag Pack. He has not raced the car since.

Several years ago that was possible..stockers were using the msd two step to launch car...hence letting go of button...my friends 68 Barracuda 340 F/SA did the same thing but no one put a camera in his car...

now they moved the button to the brake pedal...

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/19/14 05:31 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Maybe some one already answered this but I'm not reading the whole thread.

He was caught cheating on fuel at one point, and the gist of it was they were brewing their own crap and they were using know cancer causing agents in the fuel (among other things), and I don't remember the year.

The second time he was CAUGHT (I'm sure he was cheating long before he was caught) cheating with an automatic shifter. This happened in Seattle and again, I don't remember the year. Both times earned a rule change and a slap on the wrist.

He's a cheater and I'm glad to see him out of a Dodge.

I remember the shifter thing now that you mention it

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/19/14 07:28 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Monte

I might agree with you on the fuel cheating charge Jeg got popped for. I don't remember the EXACT issue, but it bordered on the fact that what he was blending was almost not a "gasoline" or even a "racing fuel". I really just kind of blew that off as racers being racers, then the details came out. I then thought maybe Jeg was over the line.

BUT, when he was caught, red handed, in Seattle, I realized that probably the fuel deal was as big a deal as WJ (and several others) made it out to be. The cheating is Seattle was the fact that at that time, in Pro Stock you could use an "electronic" shifter. I can't remember what the actual rule was (I don't save all my rule books any more) but the driver was still supposed to push the little button on top of the shifter. For the record, I hated the rule when it came out. Anyway, they (ESPN cameras) caught JEG, with BOTH hands on the wheel and the car shifting. We could all see it, and Ray Charles could hear it. The car was loose, but it shifted, and Jeg had BOTH hands on the wheel.

Yup, that's a CHEATER. By the money [Edited by Moparts - Family Friendly Site - Keep it clean] (prostitute) AKA NHRA did very little because they didn't want to kill that goose.

I am not arguing with you.......but if you think he is the only one, you are sorely mistaken. If they caught and got rid of EVERY team who tried to do something to gain their team an advantage, that MAY have been a little shady from a rules standpoint........there would be ZERO teams in the pits.

Monte

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/19/14 08:11 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Monte

I am not arguing with you.......but if you think he is the only one, you are sorely mistaken. If they caught and got rid of EVERY team who tried to do something to gain their team an advantage, that MAY have been a little shady from a rules standpoint........there would be ZERO teams in the pits.

Monte

I understand exactly what you are saying Monte. I myself, had to go to meet with the local circle jerk guys I was doing work for (on more than one occasion) because I did things I thought were within the "spirit" of the rules. I was successful every time, but the rules were rewritten to take away the advantage.

The difference is that at that time, the rules were clear you could use a button to shift the car. BUT, the driver had to hit the button. The current thinking was the cars were SO FAST no driver could catch 1st gear quick enough so they let them use the button.

Obviously, Jeg violated the "spirit" and the "letter" of the law.

As for the fuel, it wasn't just P.O. that they were using. They had blended a bunch of stuff that shouldn't have been there.

Thus, since then, VP has been the provider of Pro Stock fuel. Just another stupid rule because a CHEATER (Jeg) just couldn't win any other way. I'd be damned surprised if Jeg didn't cheat to win the 2013 championship.

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/19/14 09:07 PM

There is always a "grey" area in the rules. It simply said, "fuel must pass this and this spec"..........so if it does NOT say, you can't use this and you can't use this, as long as the fuel passed fuel check, he was legal. Because they DO check pro-Stock fuel after every run. So the obvious answer was "spec fuel". This takes the load off the tech dept and trying to figure out what guys MIGHT come up with for additives.

Don't get me wrong, I am not defending anybody, just pointing out the mindset in a class such as this. EVERY team is looking for ANY advantage they can find and think they can get away with. Just like every chassis builder has body templates and they build the body to those templates. Now what the teams do AFTER that........who knows. Several teams have had bodies tossed and you KNOW it didn't come from Haas, Bickel, or Jones like that.

So bodies "tweaked", blocks bored "not straight", fuel "mixed", "hidden" shifters, "one off" shocks and a myriad of other things is just common everyday events in a class like this, where .001 MATTERS. So in the big picture..........they are ALL "cheaters"........LOL!!......So as smart as all these guys are, when one team all of a sudden "finds" a mph. You can bet they are being "creative" somewhere and tech WILL find it eventually

Monte
Posted By: Duner

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/19/14 09:20 PM

What exactly were the Greg and Jason doing with their Summit cars that caused them to keep catching fire when they made the turn onto the return road?.... and why haven't we seen that in a while?

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/19/14 09:26 PM

Quote:

What exactly were the Greg and Jason doing with their Summit cars that caused them to keep catching fire when they made the turn onto the return road?.... and why haven't we seen that in a while?

Raw fuel in the headers..........imagine they changed their shutdown procedure

Monte

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/19/14 09:32 PM

Quote:

There is always a "grey" area in the rules. It simply said, "fuel must pass this and this spec"..........so if it does NOT say, you can't use this and you can't use this, as long as the fuel passed fuel check, he was legal. Because they DO check pro-Stock fuel after every run. So the obvious answer was "spec fuel". This takes the load off the tech dept and trying to figure out what guys MIGHT come up with for additives.

Don't get me wrong, I am not defending anybody, just pointing out the mindset in a class such as this. EVERY team is looking for ANY advantage they can find and think they can get away with. Just like every chassis builder has body templates and they build the body to those templates. Now what the teams do AFTER that........who knows. Several teams have had bodies tossed and you KNOW it didn't come from Haas, Bickel, or Jones like that.

So bodies "tweaked", blocks bored "not straight", fuel "mixed", "hidden" shifters, "one off" shocks and a myriad of other things is just common everyday events in a class like this, where .001 MATTERS. So in the big picture..........they are ALL "cheaters"........LOL!!......So as smart as all these guys are, when one team all of a sudden "finds" a mph. You can bet they are being "creative" somewhere and tech WILL find it eventually

Monte

You can parse all you want, be here is where we digress. You can say what you want about the fuel Jeg was blending, but I remember that is was BORDERLINE racing gasoline...so I would let that slide.

But no way in hell can you defend what he did as operating in a "grey" area when the rule said the driver had to shift the car, and Jeg's car magically changed gears WITH BOTH HANDS ON THE WHEEL. Now, if you want to say he was "endowed" with a gift that let him shift with out his hands, that's on you.

So, taking it on the whole, Jeg is a bona fide cheater. You can call him "creative". I won't. He was/is/always will be a CHEATER.

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/19/14 10:10 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Monte

Well Hell that's nothing new,us Bracket Racers have auto shifts for years,nothing like having both hands on the wheel and the shift noid not only shifts it into the next gear but shifts it at the perfect & same RPM everytime! Us Bracket Racers have lots more things than just shift noids,and it would not surprise me if some of them had made their way into Pro-Stock as well other class's.

It matters not what class you Race if you want to Win you have got to do what ever it takes.

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/19/14 10:33 PM

I always failed to see even the most remote gratification in a win with anything but integrity. Maybe thats just me.

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/19/14 10:45 PM

The more money involved..........the more the "win at all costs" mentality prevails. In the PRO ranks.....it is strictly BUSINESS.

Just like everyone harping on Force and Schumaker teams allegedly "diving" to help team mates win the title. It's strickly a business decision and part of the reason for multi car teams. Same way NASCAR teams have other members "block" or "wreck" somebody to help their guys win. All the same.........WIN.

I do "hidden" nitrous systems for guys all the time. What they do with them is their business. Have also built "on board" VHT sprayer systems for street racers. What about 500" motors with 383 "pie tins" on the breather. There is a fine line between what many call "cheating" and others call "creativity"

Not saying it is right..........its just how it is

Monte

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/19/14 11:00 PM

I've been in the racing arena for several decades, drag and round track, and I have seen thousands of ways to get an edge. Off axis blocks, massaging sheet metal, propylene oxide in the oil pan ect are just ways of riding the rule book as hard as you can. If you do not the competition will and you will loose. For these types of things cheating is too harsh a word. Cheating to me is 600" when 500" is legal. Using a 4bbl. where a 2bbl. is rule. Blatant disregard for the rules. While all rules have gotten more concise there are still areas that can be successfully argued in tear down. Typically when a competitor wins the battle rules are more clearly defined the next year. PS fuel for instance. Only one fuel allowed now and is distributed by NHRA to the teams at the track. Ended the Klotz and other stuff monkey business.

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/19/14 11:19 PM

Quote:

The more money involved..........the more the "win at all costs" mentality prevails. In the PRO ranks.....it is strictly BUSINESS.

Just like everyone harping on Force and Schumaker teams allegedly "diving" to help team mates win the title. It's strickly a business decision and part of the reason for multi car teams. Same way NASCAR teams have other members "block" or "wreck" somebody to help their guys win. All the same.........WIN.

I do "hidden" nitrous systems for guys all the time. What they do with them is their business. Have also built "on board" VHT sprayer systems for street racers. What about 500" motors with 383 "pie tins" on the breather. There is a fine line between what many call "cheating" and others call "creativity"

Monte

Perfect example as to why I have no time for professional sports of any kind.

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/19/14 11:45 PM

Jeg was not the only one using Rocket Fuel. Pretty sure Star Racing was too, and even Dave Schultz. Pretty sure some of the other P/S teams were too. The biggest reason they outlawed it wasn't the performance advantage, the stuff was highly carcinogenic, and a major health risk.

As for the fires under the cars, that was simply high float levels sloshing fuel out through the cylinders and into the headers on shutdown. There have been pictures posted of almost every car doing it at one time or another.
Posted By: mack

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/19/14 11:48 PM

Quote:

Mark Ingersoll won't be unemployed for long. Richard Freeman has confirmed to us that Elite Motorsports is in the process of hiring the championship tuner. Look for a formal announcement as soon as next week.

This shouldn't be a big surprise... I know that J & J used Rick Jones chassis for many years. I think the year before the championship J&J got a Haas chassis and has ran them since... They got Jim Yates to help with the Mountain View program and help set up the new Haas cars... The Mountain View car was also a Haas car.... The Elite cars are Rick Jones cars.. What Mark knows like the "back of his hand".. No great big surprise him moving to what he knows best... Question now is will J&J get to keep Yates ???? Hope so, since he knows the Haas cars....
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/19/14 11:59 PM

Quote:

But no way in hell can you defend what he did as operating in a "grey" area when the rule said the driver had to shift the car, and Jeg's car magically changed gears WITH BOTH HANDS ON THE WHEEL. Now, if you want to say he was "endowed" with a gift that let him shift with out his hands, that's on you.

So, taking it on the whole, Jeg is a bona fide cheater. You can call him "creative". I won't. He was/is/always will be a CHEATER.

Maybe he had his shift button on the steering wheel.

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/20/14 12:40 AM

Quote:

Monte

Monte,lets keep our Grudge & Bracket Racing secret's a secret!
I bet everybody thinks that's a Joke,but its not!Some of us have things that others looking for it can look right at it and not see it!
Posted By: 493_DART

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/20/14 01:23 AM

Im willing to drive a 2nd car for J&J next season , for FREE

give me a call Roy !!

Posted By: cudasteve68

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/20/14 07:04 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Monte

Monte,lets keep our Grudge & Bracket Racing secret's a secret!
I bet everybody thinks that's a Joke,but its not!Some of us have things that others looking for it can look right at it and not see it!

Yeah like my next neighbor that mud drags a Bronco with a very strong 514. He ran two classes. One with spray the other was not allowed spray. I asked him one time after about a 6-pack in the garage if anyone bitched that his NOS lines where rolled in the back in a coil and about 4 feet to long. He just smiled and said they do not have a clue.
Posted By: cudadon

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/20/14 07:22 PM

Quote:

I always failed to see even the most remote gratification in a win with anything but integrity. Maybe thats just me.

I always wondered how people who cheated to win sleep at night!

Or looked their competitors in the eye!
Don

Attached picture 8336924-8-2-093ofus.jpg

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/20/14 07:28 PM

How could a person honestly feel good about their win, knowing damn good and well they cheated?!
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/20/14 07:37 PM

Quote:

How could a person honestly feel good about their win, knowing damn good and well they cheated?!

The devil, ego, corrupts many people at many levels in every walk of life, especially in sports and politics I like to be honest, straight forward and not have to remember which lie I told to which person

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/20/14 08:44 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The devil, ego, corrupts many people at many levels in every walk of life, especially in sports and politics I like to be honest, straight forward and not have to remember which lie I told to which person

I guess I'm wired a bit differently. If I won an event, and got a trophy or something, and knowing I didn't get it honestly. I would feel sick to my stomach and couldn't be happy about it at all.

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/20/14 08:53 PM

Quote:

I guess I'm wired a bit differently. If I won an event, and got a trophy or something, and knowing I didn't get it honestly. I would feel sick to my stomach and couldn't be happy about it at all.

I believe that is what is known as having a conscience.
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: Jeggie leaving Pro Stock too... - 11/20/14 11:10 PM

My wifes a teacher and the kids told her only if you get caught is it a crime, 95 out of 100 kids think this way, wonder where it came from?
© 2024 Moparts Forums