11/11/14 01:19 AM
Western Ohio - formerly Southe...
H
hemid68 Offline OP
hemid68  Offline OP
H

Hi,
I'm in the process of trying to build a "budget Super Stock 360" (if there is such a thing) engine. The short block is basically done, except I have a new Crane mechanical roller cam I want to use. It has .543 lift on the intake .561 on the exhaust. I then have a set of "576" castings small block replacement heads. I am trying to run the stock valves, as the heads are in good shape. The problem I need help with is, I don't have enough valve spring installed height, with the stock length valves, AND if I use the springs that Crane recommends for the cam, I'll run into coil bind. Has anybody ran into this before? If so, how did you fix it, within a budget build, and within Super Stock rule limitations. Any Ideas, or information would definitely be appreciated.
Thanks,
Dan

Re: Super Stock 360 Roller Cam/Valve Spring Problem-Help [Re: hemid68] #1697394
11/11/14 01:49 AM
11/11/14 01:49 AM
Florida
Locomotion Offline
master
Locomotion  Offline
master

Florida
Comp Cams and probably others have +.050" locks and/or retainers that can provide extra installed height and, naturally, extra coil bind clearance as well.

If by "stock valves" you mean the OEM material with multi-groove locks......don't do it! You need the extra durability of stainless, multi-groove locks reduce your strength, less flexibility with installed height and they flow worse. Nail-head intake and tulip exhausts tend to be the best combo. You can use longer stem valves, but you'll have to check the rocker geometry - contact & sweep.

Have the heads been ported within the volume specs?

That's a pretty small cam for SS? I found some stiff beehives from Comp for my Stocker cams which might help with spring clearances as well as rocker clearance - if they have enough pressure & rate. 26056. But it probably won't be enough & I run a lot less lift.

I like and appreciate your efforts. But you can only compromise & budget so much.

Last edited by Locomotion; 11/11/14 02:08 AM.
Re: Super Stock 360 Roller Cam/Valve Spring Problem-Help [Re: Locomotion] #1697395
11/11/14 12:33 PM
11/11/14 12:33 PM
H
hemid68 Offline OP
hemid68  Offline OP
H

Thanks Myron for your insight, and I appreciate the help of a champion. The heads have not been ported, and I don't plan to. They came off an Aspen "stocker", and have Isky springs on them now, for a stocker cam. The valves that are in it use single groove locks, so I don't know if they're stock or not. I am not an engine builder by any stretch of the imagination, nor do I claim to be. I really wanted to see what I could put together with the parts I have acquired over the years. This engine is going in a Dakota, and is not intended to set national records, but be legal to run local Stock/Super Stock meets. I guess another option is to try and find a "stocker" cam and lifters for a 360, but I have the new roller, and it would be legal for SS, so I thought I'd use it. Plus I have always had a good working relationship with Crane, so I wanted to stay loyal to them.
Anyway, I'm going to take what you said into consideration, and check out the ideas you gave me.
Thanks,
Dan