11/08/14 06:57 PM
11/08/14 06:57 PM
USA MO
C
cdoublejj Offline OP
cdoublejj  Offline OP
C

USA MO
as far as i know forced air doesn't work as well with high compression domed pistons versus flat top, dish or reverse dome. ON TOP of re dentition and octane and heat.

I'm got in to debate with some one and as far as i know of all the engine builders i have talked to say dished and reverse dome is usually best setup for forced air, it sort of "cups" the explosion, harnessing the energy.

if i'm not mistaken some of the force from the explosion gets trapped in the dish instead heading straight for the rings.

any ways i don't have day to spending googling this stuff so i made this thread to link to he/she to see OR form me to learn why i'm wrong.

EDIT: link: http://www.reddit.com/r/cars/comments/2lm2sz/1894hp_twin_turbo_ford_gt/clwtz57?context=3

Last edited by cdoublejj; 11/08/14 07:01 PM.
Re: why not used turbo/super WITH high comp pistons? [Re: cdoublejj] #1696214
11/08/14 11:01 PM
11/08/14 11:01 PM
jersey
S
Spaceman Spiff Offline
master
Spaceman Spiff  Offline
master
S

jersey
I call bullspit on that article. 2,000+ hp from a stock block lt1?? NO WAY. also, aftermarket LT1 heads didn't exist in '99, not gonna happen with stock LT1 heads. What intake did they use? certainly not the stock one at that power level. what ignition system? Not the optispark!!

526 cubes of angry wedge, pushbutton shifted, 9 passenger killer!
Re: why not used turbo/super WITH high comp pistons? [Re: cdoublejj] #1696215
11/09/14 01:38 AM
11/09/14 01:38 AM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
The blown alcholol motors have domed pistons, some have as much as 12.5 to 1 on mechanical compression To many variables for one size fits all application I do know that the manifold inlet temps have a dramatic affect on detonation on boosted motors, epecially when running gasoline, no matter what application The more you compress air, the higher boost pressures, the hotter it gets, the higher inlet temps lead to easier detonation Hence the need for intercoolers and water and alcholol injection

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: why not used turbo/super WITH high comp pistons? [Re: Cab_Burge] #1696216
11/09/14 01:51 AM
11/09/14 01:51 AM
Plymouth Meeting, PA
bigtimeauto Offline
Trophy Winner
bigtimeauto  Offline
Trophy Winner

Plymouth Meeting, PA
I don't own a dished piston so I must be doing something wrong

BB, TT5,Procharged 3300lb Street Car 4.79/154
Re: why not used turbo/super WITH high comp pistons? [Re: cdoublejj] #1696217
11/09/14 02:50 AM
11/09/14 02:50 AM
USA MO
C
cdoublejj Offline OP
cdoublejj  Offline OP
C

USA MO
yup, it looks i was wrong. especially on modern cars which can run higher static pressure and have flat/concave pistons to begin with so they boost fairly well at static comps for 10:1 and higher.

Most of the big power turbo sets i have seen like NRE and what not have dished, that combine with some outdated information lead me to believe other wise.

Today I learned something new!!!

Re: why not used turbo/super WITH high comp pistons? [Re: cdoublejj] #1696218
11/09/14 02:45 PM
11/09/14 02:45 PM
D
dogdays Offline
I Live Here
dogdays  Offline
I Live Here
D

Pressure pushing against something that doesn't move is doing NO WORK.

Power is the rate of doing work, WORK / TIME.

Therefore, pressure pushing against anything in a combustion chamber that doesn't move is doing no work and therefore no power.

Goes to show how "intuitive" can be dead wrong.

R.

Re: why not used turbo/super WITH high comp pistons? [Re: dogdays] #1696219
11/10/14 04:45 AM
11/10/14 04:45 AM
Oakville, Wa
HOTMOPR Offline
mopar
HOTMOPR  Offline
mopar

Oakville, Wa
I believe it just depends on the type of motor you want to build. Take 2 identical motors, one with flat top and one with dished pistons. The dished piston will have the ability to run more boost than the flat top combo. So from BDS boost chart a 8-1 motor at 14 psi of boost has a final compression ratio of 15.6-1. If your flat top combo is 10-1. At 14 psi the final compression ratio is 19.5-1. On the 8-1 motor you could run 22 psi to reach 19.5-1.. I was told that a boosted motor is easier on parts than any other combo. So why not build a lower compression motor and give it more boost to make the hp? Wouldn't it be easier on parts and wallet? Am I wrong?

Last edited by HOTMOPR; 11/10/14 04:47 AM.

67 Barracuda, 470" B, Glide, FuelTech FT600, Precision, Ptc, QA1, Calvert, Smith racecraft, Afco, Dana 60. 275 radials
Re: why not used turbo/super WITH high comp pistons? [Re: HOTMOPR] #1696220
11/10/14 04:54 AM
11/10/14 04:54 AM
Oakville, Wa
HOTMOPR Offline
mopar
HOTMOPR  Offline
mopar

Oakville, Wa
Heres that chart if ya haven't seen it.. Cool!

http://www.blowerdriveservice.com/technical-charts.html

67 Barracuda, 470" B, Glide, FuelTech FT600, Precision, Ptc, QA1, Calvert, Smith racecraft, Afco, Dana 60. 275 radials
Re: why not used turbo/super WITH high comp pistons? [Re: HOTMOPR] #1696221
11/10/14 05:37 AM
11/10/14 05:37 AM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
My personel experience with Craig Railbeck(SP?, He owns BDS ) is that he does not under stand many things he sells, I assembled and built and dyno tested two very similar blown gasoline 426 Hemi street motors, one with his combination of a all out high dollar BDS 10:71 blower(3 of them actually before switching to another brand ) with his recommended engine package, his recommended EFI system and tuned EFI. The other motor was built with a little more compression, his was 8.5 to 1, the other one was 9.25 to 1 using a street Littlefield 10:71 with a set of Carb. Shop blower Dominator carbs. His motor made around 960 HP at 6500 RPM using C16 race gas at 17.0 lbs of boost, we sped the blower up and it ended up making right at 1060 HP at 22 lbs of boost but it would not repeat, it would start breaking up around 5400 RPM with him tuning it The other motor with CA pump gas made 927 HP at 7300 RPM with 7 lbs of boost at 33 degrees total timing, it would repeat with no problems. We sped the blower up (reverse the pulleys from 12% underdrive to 13% overdrive) on it and that motor using race gas made 1027 HP at 12 lbs of boost at 6500 RPM, it had to much timing with 25 degrees total we learned later The owner was happy and it was getting late in the afternoon so we stop testing and took that motor home. My message is it is better to up the static compression ratio on a roots blown street motor and run less boost than it is to run the compression lower and add boost I hope this helps someone avoid making the mistake of assuming BDS parts are all good, not so Go somewhere else for Roots blower parts and advice

Last edited by Cab_Burge; 11/10/14 03:53 PM.

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: why not used turbo/super WITH high comp pistons? [Re: Cab_Burge] #1696222
11/10/14 03:02 PM
11/10/14 03:02 PM
St. Charles, MO.
S
Slingshot383 Offline
mopar
Slingshot383  Offline
mopar
S

St. Charles, MO.
The more compression you have, the smaller your tuning window.

1994 Undercover Chassis 125" altered stack injected big block, soon blown and injected Member of The Torque and Recoil Club
Re: why not used turbo/super WITH high comp pistons? [Re: Slingshot383] #1696223
11/10/14 03:20 PM
11/10/14 03:20 PM
Kalispell Mt.
H
HotRodDave Offline
I Live Here
HotRodDave  Offline
I Live Here
H

Kalispell Mt.
Basically the more boost you have the more room you need in the chamber before igniting it to keep it from detonating. Detonation with that much A/F mix in the chamber is very bad news. That is why the more boost generally likes less timing and dynamic compression, just gives you more room to stuff the mixture into.

Boost is not always easier or cheaper to build power with, you have a lot smaller tuning window to get it right and you have a ton more plumbing, brackets, fabrication... cluttering up under the hood that in my opinion is not worth it till you start needing near 1000 hp as there is plenty of NA stuff out there to get close to that BB or SB without the added crap under the hood. I prefer keeping it simple as far as possible but I do understand the allure of swapping pulleys to get more power, there is just a lot more behind the scenes you don't hear about till you start trying to install air coolers, blow off valves, figure out packaging, funky exhaust routing fuel systems including more expensive boost referenced carbs or EFI pressure regulators... that is why I like to bore and stroke for more power... got to have some kind of crank rods pistons any how so

I am not causing global warming, I am just trying to hold off a impending Ice Age!

Re: why not used turbo/super WITH high comp pistons? [Re: Slingshot383] #1696224
11/10/14 03:23 PM
11/10/14 03:23 PM
Oakland, MI
D
dizuster Offline
master
dizuster  Offline
master
D

Oakland, MI
That read was worth it... I totally enjoyed the laugh.

My favorite part was 72 lbs/hr injectors made 2100hp? At what 225psi of fuel pressure?

Re: why not used turbo/super WITH high comp pistons? [Re: HotRodDave] #1696225
11/10/14 03:47 PM
11/10/14 03:47 PM
Houston, Texas
TheOtherDodge Offline
master
TheOtherDodge  Offline
master

Houston, Texas
Quote:

Boost is not always easier or cheaper to build power with, you have a lot smaller tuning window to get it right and you have a ton more plumbing, brackets, fabrication... cluttering up under the hood that in my opinion is not worth it till you start needing near 1000 hp as there is plenty of NA stuff out there to get close to that BB or SB without the added crap under the hood. I prefer keeping it simple as far as possible but I do understand the allure of swapping pulleys to get more power, there is just a lot more behind the scenes you don't hear about till you start trying to install air coolers, blow off valves, figure out packaging, funky exhaust routing fuel systems including more expensive boost referenced carbs or EFI pressure regulators... that is why I like to bore and stroke for more power... got to have some kind of crank rods pistons any how so

What you aren't taking into consideration is the driveability and maintenance for the power you get.

For example, currently, I make about 700 hp. I called my buddy to come over last weekend to prep the truck for the track this Friday and we stood around looking at each other and said, well, we are done! I haven't even had to change plugs in 2 years or adjust the valves.

Although there are some fab skills you must have or you will have to pay someone, it isn't all that bad. I don't have much cluttering under the hood with funky exhaust routing. I just flipped some shorties around and boom! Underneath is even cleaner with 1 3" pipe and 1 muffler and much more quiet than an N/A motor of the same power level.

Cost-wise, it is probably about 25% higher than N/A of the same power level because you don't have to get high $ heads, expensive full length headers, high pressure valve springs and good rocker, high dollar pushrods, 2 mufflers, high stall converter, etc. And if you go FI, the data logging is priceless.

I know this isn't a discussion on that, but I wanted to clarify the benefits of a turbo setup.

Re: why not used turbo/super WITH high comp pistons? [Re: TheOtherDodge] #1696226
11/10/14 04:04 PM
New Brunswick, Canada
T
TrxR Offline
super stock
TrxR  Offline
super stock
T

New Brunswick, Canada
what compression ratio and fuel are you running in the Dakota?

Re: why not used turbo/super WITH high comp pistons? [Re: HotRodDave] #1696227
Oakland, MI
D
dizuster Offline
master
dizuster  Offline
master
D

Oakland, MI
Quote:

Basically the more boost you have the more room you need in the chamber before igniting it to keep it from detonating. Detonation with that much A/F mix in the chamber is very bad news. That is why the more boost generally likes less timing and dynamic compression, just gives you more room to stuff the mixture into.

It's not about having more "room", it's about keeping the temperatures below the octane detonation threshold limit. As you compress air, it heats up. If you start with hot air (boost), it will get even hotter. Get the air hot enough, and it will self-ignite part of the air/fuel mixture without the aid of the spark plug... that's what detonation is.

There are LOTS of high compression turbo motors, especially on the turbo limited classes. But it requires good fuel and/or good intercoolers.

Timing is all about creating the most pressure you can, with the biggest crank/rod angle you can. If you make peak pressure at TDC, the pressure tries to push the crank out the bottom of the block. If you make peak pressure at 90 degree's of crank angle, then you would create the maximum torque possible.

The reality is that if you wait until the piston is 1/2 way down the cylinder to optimized the crank angle, the pressure has dropped from expansion so much that it won't make any power. Timing is all about getting the "sweet spot" of pressure vs. crank angle. The reason that boosted motors require less timing is because the burn is "quicker" then N/A motors. Quicker burn means that you need to start the burn LATER in crank rotation to optimize the crank angle and the pressure. As a matter of fact, on similar power motors, the boosted motor will actually have LESS peak cylinder pressure then the equivalent N/A powered motor. Sacrificing lower pressure on the boosted motor is made up for with the more optimized crank angle. This is because the turbo motor doesn’t loose as much pressure when the piston travels down the bore a little further then the N/A does (because there is more Air/Fuel to maintain the pressure).

As and example at 10psi non-IC on E85, I can put enough timing in my motor to slow the car down (loses power) without detonating anything. I am not limited by detonation. I am simply past the point of optimization of pressure vs. crank angle. (no different then having too much timing in a N/A motor with good fuel). However that being said, I only need about 25 degree’s of timing at 10psi vs. 32~34 degree’s of timing N/A. But like I said… it’s not because of detonation, it’s because of burn speed.

Quote:

I beg to differ… not all combo’s have to be complicated if they are well thought out before you start. Nor do you need to be at the 1000hp level to break even. Nor do they need to be as expensive as a N/A motor.

Here is a pic of mine. No intercooler, ONE bracket, and two exhaust pipes. Hardly what I would call complicated, or a bunch of “added crap” under the hood. Every street car needs exhaust work. Having the tail pipes go over the axle, through the shocks, and out to the bumper on a N/A car is no more complicated fab work then what I have. A pair of $40 exhaust manifolds, feeding into two simple tubes out of them. My “expensive boost reference carb” was $720 for a 750HP Holley already converted for E85. That’s what $160 more than a stock 750HP? The turbo was $650, and was the biggest single expense of the build. I guarantee you can’t compete Dollar per HP with what I have, and at only 15~16psi this motor already makes in the 775~800hp range.

And the beauty is… turbos are SOOOO easy on parts. This still has a un-touched cast crank in it…

There is nothing to be scared of with a turbo build… don’t let the N/A and Supercharger guys scare you.

Re: why not used turbo/super WITH high comp pistons? [Re: TrxR] #1696228
11/10/14 04:11 PM
11/10/14 04:11 PM
Houston, Texas
TheOtherDodge Offline
master
TheOtherDodge  Offline
master

Houston, Texas
Quote:

what compression ratio and fuel are you running in the Dakota?

9.2:1 and pump 93.

Diz:

Re: why not used turbo/super WITH high comp pistons? [Re: TheOtherDodge] #1696229
11/11/14 03:21 AM
11/11/14 03:21 AM
Plymouth Meeting, PA
bigtimeauto Offline
Trophy Winner
bigtimeauto  Offline
Trophy Winner

Plymouth Meeting, PA
how can you have a discussion about static cr and boost yet never bring up camshaft design?

BB, TT5,Procharged 3300lb Street Car 4.79/154
Re: why not used turbo/super WITH high comp pistons? [Re: bigtimeauto] #1696230
11/11/14 05:03 AM
11/11/14 05:03 AM
USA MO
C
cdoublejj Offline OP
cdoublejj  Offline OP
C

USA MO
he is right timing is everything. i will note NRE engine usually run mild cams.

Also don't forget you have have twin turbos a small and a big for each end of the power band.

modern cars can run some pretty high compression the last time i looked at compression ratio wiki, it all relies on timing,i think they have stupid insane timing advance and retard capabilities tied with knock sensors.

I will also say this i was looking at forced induction for my 01 maxima and my goodness is the supercharger kit much easier to install. you can run bolt on headers and super drops right on the accessory drive side of the engine and it's pretty much plumed straight into the throttle body from the looks of it. it also looks like a big turbo with pulley strapped on it, i wonder if it can be modded up like those fancy hybrid turbos that area culmination of turbo parts.

then again it's already 10.5:1 and requires 91 octane 8lbs may be the limit but, i wonder if modding it up can maintain the power band through the rpm range.

why the heck am i even talking about this? aren't i off topic by now?

Re: why not used turbo/super WITH high comp pistons? [Re: cdoublejj] #1696231
11/11/14 05:54 AM
11/11/14 05:54 AM
Aurora, Colorado
451Mopar Offline
master
451Mopar  Offline
master

Aurora, Colorado
I think the compression/boost combination just has to keep the air/fuel temp below the ignition point of the fuel used, so you don't pre-ignite the mixture. Anytime you compress the air its' temperature will increase. If you can keep the air/fuel cool, you can run more boost/compression.

Re: why not used turbo/super WITH high comp pistons? [Re: Slingshot383] #1696232
11/11/14 12:10 PM
11/11/14 12:10 PM
Brookeville, Md
Mr.Yuck Offline
Not enough dumb comments...yet
Mr.Yuck  Offline
Not enough dumb comments...yet

Brookeville, Md
I'm pretty much a novice on this but, if you run more compression you are limited on the amount of boost and your tune. Plus when things go south they go south real quick. When you have some detonation in a high compression N/A you probably won't hurt anything, w/ a boosted motor it will start to eat pistons quickly. AMHIK...

[IMG]http://i66.tinypic.com/pui5j.jpg[/IMG]
Coming soon!!!!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4