01/29/09 12:47 AM
Caledon, Ontario
smac77 Offline
mopar
smac77  Offline
mopar

Caledon, Ontario
Quote:

We're bringing a 68 charger back from the dead with all AMD sheetmetal here... Everything is loose fit for now but seems to fit pretty good, we are having a bit of a fit problem with the 1/4's to deck lid but the alignmet of the trunk latches and braces are out on our car so we're patiently getting them back "in shape" Like I said we're bringing it back from the dead! It'll have new rear rails,rear crossmember, trunk extensions, 1 peice tunk, valance, valance corners, tail light housing, deck filler, 1/4's, gutters,outer wheelhouses full floor, rear floor sections, and fenders... all AMD exept the extensions, I had them already! Thank you AMD, this one was a goner without them!

and a trunk lid, which is on the way!

4982218-IMG_3325.JPG (293 downloads)
Last edited by smac77; 01/29/09 12:48 AM.

Restoration, Sales and Canadian Distributor For:
AMD Sheetmetal
Wizzard Direct Fit, Bolt In Aluminum Radiators
Legendary Interiors
SSBC & Wilwood Brakes
Control Freak Suspensions
Fine lines Tubing
and many more...
www.macleanclassics.com
Re: AMD Charger panels and CBD charger 1/4 panels -Review [Re: smac77] #169158
01/29/09 01:55 AM
01/29/09 01:55 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Here's a few tips for anyone replacing 1/4's on a 68-70 Charger.The way Chargers are built,it is next to impossible to replace a full 1/4 panel without removing the rear deck filler panel.The panel is installed after the 1/4 panels.Before taking a 1/4 panel off,make a brace system up to locate the hinge mounts,because they are welded to the 1/4 panel at the deck filler panel seam,and if left unbraced,it can flop around making the trunklid hinge move out of alignment.I make a simple brace from flat bar to use existing holes and brace each hinge mount back to the package tray,and then across both .This will keep everything in alignment when the 1/4 is removed.
If the Charger has any rust in the lower 1/4's[like 90% do],get a new rear valance too,since the valance corners are also almost impossible to replace with the rear valance on.

Re: AMD Charger panels and CBD charger 1/4 panels -Review #169159
01/29/09 10:01 PM
01/29/09 10:01 PM
Caledon, Ontario
smac77 Offline
mopar
smac77  Offline
mopar

Caledon, Ontario
Quote:

Here's a few tips for anyone replacing 1/4's on a 68-70 Charger.The way Chargers are built,it is next to impossible to replace a full 1/4 panel without removing the rear deck filler panel.The panel is installed after the 1/4 panels.Before taking a 1/4 panel off,make a brace system up to locate the hinge mounts,because they are welded to the 1/4 panel at the deck filler panel seam,and if left unbraced,it can flop around making the trunklid hinge move out of alignment.I make a simple brace from flat bar to use existing holes and brace each hinge mount back to the package tray,and then across both .This will keep everything in alignment when the 1/4 is removed.
If the Charger has any rust in the lower 1/4's[like 90% do],get a new rear valance too,since the valance corners are also almost impossible to replace with the rear valance on.

Good tip, This one was pretty messed up and out of alignment already so I didn't bother... we're taking the painfull route! I have a rust free 68 charger here to steal all the measurments from

AMD Sheetmetal
Legendary Interiors
SSBC & Wilwood Brakes
Fine lines Tubing
and many more...
www.macleanclassics.com
Re: AMD Charger panels and CBD charger 1/4 panels -Review [Re: smac77] #169160
04/07/09 09:40 AM
04/07/09 09:40 AM
eastern,Ky
70RT Charger Offline
super stock
70RT Charger  Offline
super stock

eastern,Ky
I bought the CBD quarters several months and have been away working and now Im layed off so Im putting my quarters on.I have ran into a few problems with my quarters also.My right quarter is a 1/4 inch longer than my left and on my left quarter the middle body line is off about 3/8 of a inch.At the very top of the quarter where it curves in to the door was to close to the door.I think I can work everything out but I dont believe I should have to for $3000.

Re: AMD Charger panels and CBD charger 1/4 panels -Review [Re: 70RT Charger] #169161
04/07/09 11:35 AM
04/07/09 11:35 AM
God's Country - Etowah, TN.
A34 Offline
top fuel
A34  Offline
top fuel

God's Country - Etowah, TN.
Call the guy and see if he'll switch it out. Maybe he's corrected the problem.

You're right for $3k, you shouldn't have to fix it.

God Bless America, Our Troops and Their Families !

DEO VINDICE
Re: AMD Charger panels and CBD charger 1/4 panels -Review [Re: 70RT Charger] #169162
04/11/09 12:04 AM
04/11/09 12:04 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I bought the CBD quarters several months and have been away working and now Im layed off so Im putting my quarters on.I have ran into a few problems with my quarters also.My right quarter is a 1/4 inch longer than my left and on my left quarter the middle body line is off about 3/8 of a inch.At the very top of the quarter where it curves in to the door was to close to the door.I think I can work everything out but I dont believe I should have to for $3000.

I could not make the Classic Body Designs 1/4 panels fit.There were so many issues with incorrect body lines and poor gaps etc.I did install the AMD panels and they fit really well,and the body lines matched the doors etc very well.There are some waves here and there on the sides,but the AMD panels are so thick that there is no problem working them straight.I did also use the AMD valance corners and the AMD rear deck panel[behind the rear window].All the AMD stuff is heavy guage metal-much heavier than the original.The rear deck panel fit very well after I hammer and dollied the sides slightly to widen it.I have almost perfect gaps to the trunklid and doors with the AMD panels.

Re: AMD Charger panels and CBD charger 1/4 panels -Review #169163
04/25/09 07:48 PM
04/25/09 07:48 PM
New Jersey
C
conteycp Offline
conteycp  Offline
C

New Jersey
I run a muscle car restoration shop here in northern NJ I have used both pannels CBD and AMD
Charger panels ,I have also install Goodmark Challenger panels , they all need some adjustment to fit properley ,we in shops and the back yard restorer are all trying to restore these cars to a factory look not just for general service , several things happen different in a factory when car is built as opposed to when we restore cars (that have been on the road for 40 years) .First the factory has a certain build process which includes being built on a highly engineered assembly Jigg, There is the full force of there resources to come up with a way of assembling for the best fit and finsh possible ,what you have to realize that they sink millions into product development if the aftermarket put that kind of money into a panel of which they sell only a fraction of what Chrysler did it would be 10 thousand a panel .
Nos panels have been lying around for a long time and are subject to damage after all that time so they may not fit well either . The other problem is the cars have been run damaged and rusted so they may not be dimensionaly perfct anymore this could be one of the reasons for poor fit . The one thing I can say is that with the addition of these panels to the market they have made many unsaveable cars restorable .
So get out your body hammers and your cutting tools and lets get to work bring them back from the rusted wrecks . They will fit with some massaging .The CBD panels seem to need less blocking which is a real time saver . The amd panel is heavier and therefore better to block for a supper straight finish you just have to decide what your strong suit is to decide which panels to buy . To me these panels are such a great help to the hobby that I purchased a factory style resitence spot welder to make my companies restorations even more authentic looking . AMD , CBD , and Goodmark keep up the fine work !

Re: AMD Charger panels and CBD charger 1/4 panels -Review [Re: conteycp] #169164
04/25/09 08:41 PM
04/25/09 08:41 PM
Caledon, Ontario
smac77 Offline
mopar
smac77  Offline
mopar

Caledon, Ontario
Quote:

.First the factory has a certain build process which includes being built on a highly engineered assembly Jigg, There is the full force of there resources to come up with a way of assembling for the best fit and finsh possible

you're kidding right... Half the original mopars I own and get in for resto work here look like they were assembled by drunks! Quality control was not Chryslers strong point...especially in the body, lead, and seam sealer departments!

AMD Sheetmetal
Legendary Interiors
SSBC & Wilwood Brakes
Fine lines Tubing
and many more...
www.macleanclassics.com
Re: AMD Charger panels and CBD charger 1/4 panels -Review #169165
04/26/09 12:25 AM
04/26/09 12:25 AM
eastern,Ky
70RT Charger Offline
super stock
70RT Charger  Offline
super stock

eastern,Ky
Quote:

Quote:

I could not make the Classic Body Designs 1/4 panels fit.There were so many issues with incorrect body lines and poor gaps etc.I did install the AMD panels and they fit really well,and the body lines matched the doors etc very well.There are some waves here and there on the sides,but the AMD panels are so thick that there is no problem working them straight.I did also use the AMD valance corners and the AMD rear deck panel[behind the rear window].All the AMD stuff is heavy guage metal-much heavier than the original.The rear deck panel fit very well after I hammer and dollied the sides slightly to widen it.I have almost perfect gaps to the trunklid and doors with the AMD panels.

The CBD arent actually that bad,just the thought of paying big $$$ for them and having that many issues burns me up.They are lazer straight and I thought the fit was good,but the door gaps suck,you might as well plan on splitting the quarters to get good door gaps,the lines on the right quarter was perfect but the quarter was almost a 1/4 inch longer.What that means is my deck lid is almost even with the end of my quarter and it should be even with the quarter extension.My left side is the perfect length.Oh well at least I have something to work with.

Re: AMD Charger panels and CBD charger 1/4 panels -Review [Re: smac77] #169166
04/26/09 12:15 PM
04/26/09 12:15 PM
New Jersey
C
conteycp Offline
conteycp  Offline
C

New Jersey
Quote:

Quote:

.First the factory has a certain build process which includes being built on a highly engineered assembly Jigg, There is the full force of there resources to come up with a way of assembling for the best fit and finsh possible

you're kidding right... Half the original mopars I own and get in for resto work here look like they were assembled by drunks! Quality control was not Chryslers strong point...especially in the body, lead, and seam sealer departments!

so then your asking the aftermaket to supply you with a better then factory piece for fit and finish when they are patterning off a original part and or car .
by the way have you look at other cars built in that time frame GM"s or Ford's ? same thing . These were the standards of assembly line work at the time .there were no CNC laser body panel aligners like there are today so you how can you make that comparison ?
They dont even have finished seams today most cars have a rubber finishing strip running through the roof .The lead in the old cars actually changes shape over the years from moisture getting under it ,rust and just expansion and contrations or disimaler metals.

Re: AMD Charger panels and CBD charger 1/4 panels -Review [Re: 70RT Charger] #169167
04/28/09 02:28 PM
04/28/09 02:28 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The CBD arent actually that bad,just the thought of paying big $$$ for them and having that many issues burns me up.They are lazer straight and I thought the fit was good,but the door gaps suck,you might as well plan on splitting the quarters to get good door gaps,the lines on the right quarter was perfect but the quarter was almost a 1/4 inch longer.What that means is my deck lid is almost even with the end of my quarter and it should be even with the quarter extension.My left side is the perfect length.Oh well at least I have something to work with.

The Classic Body Designs 1/4 panels I tried had way too many problems for me.The poor gaps,body lines that were way off and the side marker lamp openings that were totally incorrect.I chose to use the AMD panels,and while they are not perfect,they did fit right,had super door and trunk gaps,and are so sturdy that they are way stronger than even the original panels.I would not hestitate to use the AMD panels on the next Charger I do.

Re: AMD Charger panels and CBD charger 1/4 panels -Review #169168
05/01/09 06:06 PM
05/01/09 06:06 PM
eastern,Ky
70RT Charger Offline
super stock
70RT Charger  Offline
super stock

eastern,Ky
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The Classic Body Designs 1/4 panels I tried had way too many problems for me.The poor gaps,body lines that were way off and the side marker lamp openings that were totally incorrect.I chose to use the AMD panels,and while they are not perfect,they did fit right,had super door and trunk gaps,and are so sturdy that they are way stronger than even the original panels.I would not hestitate to use the AMD panels on the next Charger I do.

I called Ron and told him about my problems and he said I was the first person that had called him with any problems concerning his quarters,now aint that funny!dont get me wrong Im happy the parts are here but Im not stupid.Im wasnt going to post any pics but they are here.Well first it would help if the quarters were the same length.

5200883-056.jpg (157 downloads)
Re: AMD Charger panels and CBD charger 1/4 panels -Review [Re: 70RT Charger] #169169
05/01/09 06:08 PM
05/01/09 06:08 PM
eastern,Ky
70RT Charger Offline
super stock
70RT Charger  Offline
super stock

eastern,Ky
That was right quarter and here is the measurement on the left,you tell me how much it is off

5200887-051.jpg (201 downloads)
Re: AMD Charger panels and CBD charger 1/4 panels -Review [Re: 70RT Charger] #169170
05/01/09 06:10 PM
05/01/09 06:10 PM
eastern,Ky
70RT Charger Offline
super stock
70RT Charger  Offline
super stock

eastern,Ky
Here is left door gap the upper and lower body line is good the middle line is off

5200892-063.jpg (203 downloads)
Re: AMD Charger panels and CBD charger 1/4 panels -Review [Re: 70RT Charger] #169171
05/01/09 06:13 PM
05/01/09 06:13 PM
eastern,Ky
70RT Charger Offline
super stock
70RT Charger  Offline
super stock

eastern,Ky
Right door gap the body lines were all good on this side

5200900-046.jpg (143 downloads)
Re: AMD Charger panels and CBD charger 1/4 panels -Review [Re: 70RT Charger] #169172
05/01/09 06:15 PM
05/01/09 06:15 PM
eastern,Ky
70RT Charger Offline
super stock
70RT Charger  Offline
super stock

eastern,Ky
Gap on top drivers side

5200903-038.jpg (177 downloads)
Re: AMD Charger panels and CBD charger 1/4 panels -Review [Re: 70RT Charger] #169173
05/01/09 06:17 PM
05/01/09 06:17 PM
eastern,Ky
70RT Charger Offline
super stock
70RT Charger  Offline
super stock

eastern,Ky
gapon pass. side on top,notice how sharp it turns in on this side at the very top

5200905-045.jpg (191 downloads)
Re: AMD Charger panels and CBD charger 1/4 panels -Review [Re: 70RT Charger] #169174
05/01/09 06:25 PM
05/01/09 06:25 PM
eastern,Ky
70RT Charger Offline
super stock
70RT Charger  Offline
super stock

eastern,Ky
Well that does it, me and my body man spent along time trying to get em perfect.Looks like were going to have to split the quarters to get my door gaps just like skins,the one body line will be the easiest fix,and we will have to work on the back to to fix where one quarter is longer than the other.Man what a nightmare.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3