Georgia
S
Steve Bryant Offline OP
mopar
Steve Bryant  Offline OP
mopar
S

Georgia
My 1970 Cuda is leaking PS fluid pretty badly and it's the only mechanical part left I have not replaced/rebuilt so I need to start getting some parts. Daily-Driver and trying to keep things stock or at least looking stock to the knowledgeable observer.

I thought about just getting a replacement box with pitman from the local parts store for $180.
I thought about sending it to Firm Feel for $380 plus shipping and downtime.
I thought about swapping to manual and ditching the pump but I need to get an adapter/extension or a new column. This probably the most expensive solution but it feels like a solution with a longer, easier life.

So I guess my question is what is better; FirmFeel and/or a manual unit. Am I missing another option?

My current PS box is a little shaky and I am sure a reman unit will be an improvement. Do these masterpro reman units suck so bad that a FirmFeel is my only real PS choice?

I appreciate your experience and knowledge on this. You guys always shed light on the subject and help me make better choices. The good news is I am pulling the dash this winter anyway so removing and refinishing the steering column was already in my immediate plans.

Re: 70 E-Body - Steering Box Recommendations [Re: Steve Bryant] #1691403
10/27/14 09:56 PM
10/27/14 09:56 PM
IN
A
ahy Offline
master
ahy  Offline
master
A

IN
I don't consider the parts store boxes "re-manufactured" in the sense all parts are checked and returned to OE or better clearances. They are re-built and re-sealed. If the original core was "tight" the reman unit may be OK, if not, not. Luck of the draw. Lots of stories of sloppy parts store boxes. If your box is OK except it leaks, may be worth a seal replacement. I believe both ends are serviceable.

I would attempt to re-seal the box you have or get a Firm Feel unit. They may have a core on hand to cut down on the wait. Manual is heavy and slower ratio. Not well suited to an E IMO.

Re: 70 E-Body - Steering Box Recommendations [Re: Steve Bryant] #1691404
10/27/14 10:09 PM
10/27/14 10:09 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Not sure how this would equate to street use but when we went from an OE 24:1 manual box to a FF 16:1 box on the Challenger stock car it was night and day in the corners. before it was hand over hand nightmare (& these weren't tight corners) and after it was nice and easy. Other than parallel parking (no big deal) it'd have to be much much better. It is pricey ($500). The manual would be way way lighter than PS. I ain't a PS guy but iirc several people (on here) in the past recomended the stage 2 option (FF I believe). You would need the col extension for manual & if it helps you decide; the PS and fast ratio (16:1) manual have the same turn ratio (iirc) so right now you could know what the manual would be for turns just that it would be more effort (but not bad) (& lose alot of weight)

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: 70 E-Body - Steering Box Recommendations [Re: ahy] #1691405
10/27/14 10:20 PM
10/27/14 10:20 PM
Georgia
S
Steve Bryant Offline OP
mopar
Steve Bryant  Offline OP
mopar
S

Georgia
Thanks Ahy. My current box is a little shaky. I have brand new suspension, radials and a solid alignment but if I hit a big bump the front wants to shake and wander. I am also starting to hear a little groaning from the front end and some slight vibrations during a turn.

Not all of these symptoms are the box, but the worsening leak has caused me to lose faith in the entire unit and I do not want to pull this thing twice! I think another unit or a rebuild will correct half of my concerns. The concerns I am imagining will likely go away once the real ones are addressed!