10/15/14 12:43 PM
10/15/14 12:43 PM
NW Chicago suburban area
Mopar Mitch Offline
pro stock
Mopar Mitch  Offline
pro stock

NW Chicago suburban area
340duster -- good idea! I've never even thought of that, but not sure if any such options existed back then or even now. The current setup works great for me and has proved itself very well.

Mopar Mitch "Road racers and autocrossers go in deeper and come out harder!"... and rain never stops us from having fun with our cars... in fact, it makes us better drivers! Check out MOPAR ACTION MAGAZINE, August 2006 issue for feature article and specs on my autocross T/A!
Re: Someone needs to make splined t-bars adapters. [Re: 340duster340] #1684760
10/15/14 12:56 PM
10/15/14 12:56 PM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
Quote:

Not sure if it would work or be practical..... But could you run t-bars and coil-overs to get the desired spring rate?

For some data here, there are several down sides to adding coil overs. First, it will add unsprung weight. Next, the upper shock mounts were never designed to handle spring loads, so you will have to reinforce. Then there is the spring rate needed. You may find that you cannot get coil over springs soft enough to work with your existing T bars. Finally, you will most likely have to run aftermarket upper control arms to provide clearance for the coil overs.

It might be doable, but it may also make more sense just to convert over completely to coil overs and open up room for the exhaust.

They say there are no such thing as a stupid question.
They say there is always the exception that proves the rule.
Don't be the exception.
Re: Someone needs to make splined t-bars adapters. [Re: Supercuda] #1684761
10/15/14 01:24 PM
10/15/14 01:24 PM
NW Chicago suburban area
Mopar Mitch Offline
pro stock
Mopar Mitch  Offline
pro stock

NW Chicago suburban area
Regarding coil-overs, John Sandbergs SCCA C/Prepared AAR eventually ousted the TBs (1.24) and he went to yet stiffer rate coil overs (becuase the 1.24 TBs weren't stiff enough... and had he considered swapping hexes he would have done that but concentrated on the entirely new setup instead).. and the class rules permitted the swap.... he did the same in the rear (ousting the metal xxhd leafs)... he completely re-designed the suspension front and rear (professionally engineered).. result: eventual higher class finishes/more wins and the SCCA national championship C/PL crown. There's a place for coil overs when the TBs aren't stiff enough. Suspension travel remains acceptable for the intended roads/courses driven (always following club rules!, etc). His previous TB/leaf complete overall setup, etc, now resides in his son's 73 440-6 Challenger (also has full fiberglass front end)... street/hwy driven, occasional road course lapping sessions.. an awesome car!

You can read about John's SCCA C/P AAR in Mopar Action issue August 2006 along with my T/A for most of the details. (John's AAR was also featured in Mopar Collector's Guide about 1-1/2 years ago.)

John did install splined sway bars front/rear.... many variable choices in that segment.

Last edited by Mopar Mitch; 10/15/14 01:28 PM.

Mopar Mitch "Road racers and autocrossers go in deeper and come out harder!"... and rain never stops us from having fun with our cars... in fact, it makes us better drivers! Check out MOPAR ACTION MAGAZINE, August 2006 issue for feature article and specs on my autocross T/A!
Re: Someone needs to make splined t-bars adapters. [Re: Supercuda] #1684762
10/15/14 01:35 PM
10/15/14 01:35 PM
Pikes Peak Country
T
TC@HP2 Offline
master
TC@HP2  Offline
master
T

Pikes Peak Country
With the current shock technology out there and Firm Feel's willingness to make a custom diameter t-bar, I'd say that the rates are pretty well covered for everyone but all out race efforts. By using custom splined s-bars with modular arms, they will yield better on road handling and ride improvements for a street going car than going to wrist sized t-bars.

If you still need something bigger than a 1.24 t-bar for your race car, you can always convert to C body sockets and talk to Firm Feel about custom t-bars they can tool up for you in the 1.40 range, which is upwards of around 750# wheel rate, or roughly twice what the Hotchkis Challenger is using currently.

The only big advantage I could see of using the splined adapter in a stock suspended mopar would be to give you less expensive bar options so you could carry around dozens of sets to change out for track conditions. Even at that, you are only saving 50% per set, but, you also have all the upfront costs for the adapters.

Re: Someone needs to make splined t-bars adapters. [Re: TC@HP2] #1684763
10/15/14 08:07 PM
10/15/14 08:07 PM
NorCal
RylisPro Offline
top fuel
RylisPro  Offline
top fuel

NorCal
Yes I agree about the not needing bigger bars. I have 1.12's and a full cage on my setup. I didn't really feel or exhibit any excess body roll and my buddy following me at the track up in Thunderhill West said the same thing. Granted I wasn't going that fast as it is a tighter track mostly in 3rd gear, but I never really felt that the front end was out of control or didn't want to go in the direction I chose to point it.

I have taken as much weight off the front end with fiberglass and aluminum engine parts though. It maybe a different story with big block iron engines. I feel that reducing the front end weight would balance the car even further, only then would I even consider 1.24 torsion bars

73 `Cuda
Instagram: @rylispro
YouTube: RylisPro
www.rylispro.com
925-214-9192
Page 2 of 2 1 2