Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! [Re: feets] #1676985
11/20/14 04:29 PM
11/20/14 04:29 PM
On The Boat, On The Lake, Wa. ...
amxautox Offline
Still Retired. Still Posting on Moparts. A Lot.
amxautox  Offline

It was probably all the holes in the rotor that chewed away at the pads, like little cutting edges.

Tom

"Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing."

-Henry David Thoreau

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

author unknown

Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! [Re: jcc] #1676986
11/21/14 01:27 AM
11/21/14 01:27 AM
SoCal
MuuMuu101 Offline
I got lucky at Woodward!
MuuMuu101  Offline
I got lucky at Woodward!

SoCal
Quote:

I think we are splitting hairs here, a hole, drilled or cast, is a stress riser compared to no hole, period.

Correct; however, if you're purchasing drilled rotors you're better off with the cast ones.

Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! [Re: MuuMuu101] #1676987
11/21/14 11:30 PM
11/21/14 11:30 PM
upper So. CA
N
ntsqd Offline
ntsqd  Offline
N

upper So. CA
Quote:

Quote:

Holes in pretty much anything are evil stress risers, avoid them.

I know of a set of drilled rotors that didn't even make it 10k miles before cracking. Yeah, they were home drilled about 20 years ago. Don't care, no drilled for me. Those that want them know that I'm laughing at your ignorance.

Now I'm laughing at your ignorance.

Holes cast into the rotor during manufacturing do not promote stress fractures.
Holes drilled into rotors after casting will lead to fractures.

That's been proven through the years.

The holes provide limited outgassing, reduce weight, and save raw materials. They also look sporty to some people. That's why they get used.

Sometimes performance oriented auto manufacturers investigate things a wee bit more thoroughly than internet keyboard warriors.

Now, would you like to revise that statement?

I was a wilwood R&D Engineer for 2 years and have been crew in many forms of racing for over 20 years. After wilwood I spent 7 years in R&D with ecomotors.com. Keyboard warrior I am not.

I guess we're both laughing. No known metal rotor has those holes cast into them, even if they are those with cast-in holes they are still stress risers. If nothing else, review "Engineer to Win". That they were drilled as opposed to being formed by some other method is a small part of the total picture. Anything that changes the stress flow path or disrupts it is a stress riser.

Quote:

Quote:

I think we are splitting hairs here, a hole, drilled or cast, is a stress riser compared to no hole, period.

The king of splitting hairs comments about others splitting hairs?

Obviously, rotors with holes are inferior to non-holed rotors. That's why you'll never see them on supercars costing hundreds of thousands of dollars.

OOPS!! I misspoke. That car cost a couple million dollars, runs 250+ mph, and has zero engineering behind it.
Stupid VW! What were they thinking?

As previously stated, drilled rotors are put on those cars for the buyers, because they think they're cool. Not because they're a better solution. Marketing trumps Engineering & Science every time. So those rotors prove nothing about actual performance. Can you prove that those cars set their high water marks wearing drilled rotors? We all know that they're sold with them, proves nothing. Most real Engineers have a bit better grasp of things than keyboard engineers.

I used to swerve around my hallucinations, now I drive right thru them.
Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! [Re: ntsqd] #1676988
11/22/14 01:58 AM
11/22/14 01:58 AM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
AMIK, He doesn't take well to peeing in his cereal.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! [Re: ntsqd] #1676989
11/22/14 01:01 PM
11/22/14 01:01 PM
Irving, TX
feets Offline
Senior Management
feets  Offline
Senior Management

Irving, TX
Quote:

I was a wilwood R&D Engineer for 2 years and have been crew in many forms of racing for over 20 years. After wilwood I spent 7 years in R&D with ecomotors.com. Keyboard warrior I am not.

I guess we're both laughing. No known metal rotor has those holes cast into them, even if they are those with cast-in holes they are still stress risers. If nothing else, review "Engineer to Win". That they were drilled as opposed to being formed by some other method is a small part of the total picture. Anything that changes the stress flow path or disrupts it is a stress riser.

As a metal working guy far too familiar with Mercedes rotors, I can tell you they were cast into the rotor, not drilled afterwards. If not, they had to be acid etched to get the cast finish inside the holes. Mercedes is also very proud of their rotors having the holes cast into them. Perhaps some 2 year brake engineer can humble the entire Mercedes Benz engineering staff but somehow I doubt it.

So, tell me how much R&D went into those cars I showed. I bet some of them received more extensive research than Wilwood did in the 2 years you were there.

If you were involved in racing for 20 years you should be familiar with the discoveries made during the Ford GT40 testing. They were fracturing rotors due to over cooling. The fresh air ducts were killing the brakes. Once they routed heated air from behind the radiator to the brakes the failures stopped.
That's a prime example of the real world pulling out surprises that engineers didn't consider.

Quote:

As previously stated, drilled rotors are put on those cars for the buyers, because they think they're cool. Not because they're a better solution. Marketing trumps Engineering & Science every time. So those rotors prove nothing about actual performance. Can you prove that those cars set their high water marks wearing drilled rotors? We all know that they're sold with them, proves nothing. Most real Engineers have a bit better grasp of things than keyboard engineers.

Surprise! I'm one of the guys who said drilled rotors are used because people think they're cool.

We all know that "real engineers" get their butts kicked by marketing on a regular basis. Keep spouting off with the whole engineer bit. I know a TON of engineers (worldwide) and can tell you some of those guys can't engineer their way out of a wet paper bag.

Frequently, "engineers" get caught up in minutiae. For the engineers out there, that means trivial stuff.
They go and go and go until they can't go anymore. They're measuring carbon content to the angstrom and studying the temperatures at which the base material goes from a plastic state to the liquid state despite the fact that you never want your product to get there.

Yes, all holes in rotors are stress risers.

Can you spot the stress risers in this pic?

If you said the vent holes, fastener holes, and contours around the fastener bosses you'd be partially correct.

How about this one?

See all of those slots? Those create fracture points that can not only move laterally but also across the width of the rotor by originating at the bottom of the cut.

ALL rotors have stress risers. You simply ENGINEER around them. Know that some tool paths will lead to more prevalent points of failure. Cutting will generally lead to an easier failure path than proper forming the features while casting.

You don't have to be a great engineer to know that metals have stress. All you have to do is measure a piece of flat cold rolled steel, cut into one side of it and measure the piece again. You will see deflection in the part due to stress in the steel introduced during rolling.

All formed structures are going to have some sort of stress. That stress is always looking for a way to get out. A good engineer will find the shapes and manufacturing processes that limit the failure rate of the finished product. Once you push that far away from the product's intended use it's time to call it done. In brake rotors you can limit the failure rate but you can't prevent it.

Pull the feather out of your engineer's cap and realize that other people sometimes know what they're talking about.

We are brothers and sisters doing time on the planet for better or worse. I'll take the better, if you don't mind.
- Stu Harmon
Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! [Re: feets] #1676990
11/22/14 03:22 PM
11/22/14 03:22 PM
Santa Fe Springs, CA
Dan@Hotchkis Offline
super stock
Dan@Hotchkis  Offline
super stock

Santa Fe Springs, CA
I just want to say reading along with this has been SUPER FUN.

Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! [Re: Dan@Hotchkis] #1676991
11/22/14 07:37 PM
11/22/14 07:37 PM
Nebraska
72Swinger Offline
master
72Swinger  Offline
master

Nebraska
Mercedes are stupider.....

Mopar to the bone!!!
Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! [Re: 72Swinger] #1676992
11/22/14 08:07 PM
11/22/14 08:07 PM
The Netherlands
BigBlockMopar Offline
master
BigBlockMopar  Offline
master

The Netherlands
Now now guys, keep it serious please.
How about drilled rear drums?

Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! [Re: BigBlockMopar] #1676993
11/22/14 08:17 PM
11/22/14 08:17 PM
amxautox Offline
amxautox  Offline

Sure, lets in the water for better cooling.

Tom

-Henry David Thoreau

author unknown

Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! [Re: Dan@Hotchkis] #1676994
11/22/14 09:37 PM
11/22/14 09:37 PM
Irving, TX
feets Offline
Senior Management
feets  Offline
Senior Management

Irving, TX
Quote:

I just want to say reading along with this has been SUPER FUN.

Careful. Fun leads to a higher failure rate.

We are brothers and sisters doing time on the planet for better or worse. I'll take the better, if you don't mind.
- Stu Harmon
Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! [Re: BigBlockMopar] #1676995
11/23/14 01:11 AM
11/23/14 01:11 AM
SoCal
MuuMuu101 Offline
I got lucky at Woodward!
MuuMuu101  Offline
I got lucky at Woodward!

SoCal
Quote:

That may not be too bad of an idea. It will let some of the heat trapped within the drum to leave. Just put it on the drum face. That shouldn't be a critical spot.

Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! [Re: MuuMuu101] #1676996
11/23/14 10:56 AM
11/23/14 10:56 AM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
Quote:

Quote:

That may not be too bad of an idea. It will let some of the heat trapped within the drum to leave. Just put it on the drum face. That shouldn't be a critical spot.

holes for drum cooling have been around forever. mostly used in the backing plate, but i have seen holes in all areas of the drum[including the friction area] also. some applications work, some don't. i have personally seen blowed up rotors and drums with, and without holes[slots]in them. as i am no engineer[but like feets, i know a bunch of 'em and some couldn't figure out a way to walk around a post], but observe the world around me and [try to] do stuff that works for the application at hand, and avoid the things that don't. and as a side note, i have done FUN things at times, then afterward wonder if that should have happened..........

Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! [Re: moparx] #1676997
11/23/14 01:02 PM
11/23/14 01:02 PM
Irving, TX
feets Offline
Senior Management
feets  Offline
Senior Management

Irving, TX
Quote:

i have done FUN things at times, then afterward wonder if that should have happened..........

What was her name?

- Stu Harmon
Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! [Re: MuuMuu101] #1676998
11/23/14 01:50 PM
11/23/14 01:50 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Quote:

Quote:

Well if the holes are cast in the drum, maybe they would work

And to rehash, holes in rotors are less about cooling then weight reduction, looks, and pad wiping/gas venting (thought to be a minor concern with todays compounds). And cooling is more about air movement/venting, nor sure how air is induced to vent from a drum, other then the heating/expansion of the air.

And besides, you can't see holes in drums.

Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! [Re: jcc] #1676999
11/23/14 02:28 PM
11/23/14 02:28 PM
amxautox Offline
amxautox  Offline

Depends on where the holes are, say the side around the flange.

And the fins on the outside of the drums cause air flow, thus air current that would draw air from inside/thru/around the drum. Same as the fins in a vented rotor.

Tom

-Henry David Thoreau

author unknown

Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! [Re: moparx] #1677000
11/23/14 03:44 PM
11/23/14 03:44 PM
Pikes Peak Country
T
TC@HP2 Offline
master
TC@HP2  Offline
master
T

Pikes Peak Country
Quote:

holes for drum cooling have been around forever. mostly used in the backing plate,

I've have used this version before. Two 1.25" holes in the backing plate, one with a small hose and air pick up under the axle, the other as an exhaust.

Empirical evidence to its effectiveness, I don't know, but it seemed like a good idea for a 1/4" mile bull ring that mandated rear drums.

Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! [Re: TC@HP2] #1677001
11/23/14 06:36 PM
11/23/14 06:36 PM
The Netherlands
BigBlockMopar Offline
master
BigBlockMopar  Offline
master

The Netherlands
Anyone ever slotted their brake pads actually?

Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! [Re: BigBlockMopar] #1677002
11/25/14 01:55 AM
11/25/14 01:55 AM
Irving, TX
feets Offline
Senior Management
feets  Offline
Senior Management

Irving, TX
The pads in my AMG calipers weren't slotted but each caliper held 4 pads. Does that count?

- Stu Harmon
Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! [Re: feets] #1677003
11/25/14 11:01 PM
11/25/14 11:01 PM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
Quote:

Quote:

i have done FUN things at times, then afterward wonder if that should have happened..........

What was her name?

that's the problem. i can't remember........

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4