Moparts

Please don't buy drilled rotors!!!

Posted By: RylisPro

Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! - 09/26/14 12:39 AM

Just a public service announcement!
If you are going to buy Doctor Diff's or any serious brake kit, please get the NON-DRILLED rotor option.
Its free and the rotor has more material to effectively act as a heat sink.
Many people just don't understand that unless cast with holes, drilled rotors are just going to crack faster at higher temps

reference: Trouble Shooting Brake Procedures
#5. Why do brake rotors crack?
http://www.ctbrakes.com/faqs.asp

Thanks for the rotors Cass!
Hopefully the Fedex guys that lost the 4th one stub their toe on it
Posted By: Scotts72Rallye

Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! - 09/26/14 01:51 AM

Thanks for the info!
Posted By: Dan@Hotchkis

Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! - 09/26/14 02:43 AM

I agree, drilled rotor are not for the street. Showed a guy at cars and coffee how his ebay drilled rotors were cracking from hole to hole. Scary.
Posted By: Uhcoog1

Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! - 09/26/14 03:15 AM

Did you kill a set of rotors at your first track day?

Nice rotors!

Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! - 09/26/14 03:25 AM

Nope not at all!
I just wanted to get an extra set of spares. Problem is that Cass stocks mostly drilled rotors because that's what the general public thinks "looks cool" but they don't usually know that "they crack".

F'ing Fedex lost one though but Cass will send me another
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! - 09/26/14 03:32 AM

Are those rear rotors for his big rear kit?

Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! - 09/26/14 04:08 AM

These rotors are the Stage 4 Brembo style 13" fronts and 11.7" Cobra rears
Posted By: MuuMuu101

Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! - 09/26/14 06:32 AM

Darn, I have the drilled ones on mine. We'll see how long they last. For some reason I thought the fronts and rears didn't come with both slotted so I got drilled for both. I know the only matching color for the calipers front and back was red.

Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! - 09/26/14 06:46 AM

Brake rotors are consumables. All rotors will crack eventually given enough abuse, drilled or not, just that drilled crack faster.
Just run your car hard and use up those drilled rotors and then get non-drilled ones in the future
Posted By: brads70

Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! - 09/26/14 06:35 PM

It depends on the quality of the material the rotor is made with. I've seen hundreds of circle track rotors glowing orange that are drilled and they endure pretty good. I will say usually you do get what you pay for, the cheap ones do crack very soon. I agree though ebay rotors are not usually made of good material ( Chinese) and not generally a good idea on the street.
I bought mine from here http://www.r1concepts.com/
Premium series drilled and slotted been fine for almost 5 years now.
Posted By: Lefty

Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! - 09/27/14 07:46 AM

Quote:

I agree, drilled rotor are not for the street. Showed a guy at cars and coffee how his ebay drilled rotors were cracking from hole to hole. Scary.

That's why you should never buy cheap Chinese rotors off eBag. You get what you deserve cheaping out on rotors. There have been thousands of good drilled rotors raced for decades with great results. The good rotors have the holes counter sunk drilled to relieve the sharp edges which reduces the cracks.The iron used is important as well. Solid rotors crack too. You can see little cracks on most any type of rotor that's been heated red hot and then squeezed hard during a race. The later slotted rotors will have cracks as well after a race. Wilwood would not sell drilled rotors if they were no good. I've never had a pad glaze up on a drilled or slotted rotor, solid rotors glaze up much easier because the lack of pad surface "wiping" that takes place due to the holes or slots. The pads don't last as long, but if you're worried about pad life this is the wrong forum.
Posted By: feets

Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! - 09/27/14 09:31 AM

Quote:

It depends on the quality of the material the rotor is made with. I've seen hundreds of circle track rotors glowing orange that are drilled and they endure pretty good.

Those rotors probably aren't drilled. Instead, they are cast with the holes in the mold. The higher quality manufacturers use the proper casting technique to get a good fill with no voids.

The Mercedes "drilled" rotors are made that way and they hold up nicely to heavy use on heavy cars.

Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! - 09/27/14 02:00 PM

This is exactly why I started this thread. Many rotors are cast like the ones in my first post and then drilled afterwards. It is why I specifically buy the non-drilled rotors

Wilwood, Baer, and any other rotor manufacturer will sell the consumer public anything they want. If you want rotors with "cool looking holes" in them they will sell you those too.
All I am saying is that I don't want them
Posted By: ntsqd

Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! - 09/30/14 03:18 PM

Quote:

... Wilwood would not sell drilled rotors if they were no good. .....

Sure they will. They're in the business of selling brake parts. Enough people ask for them and they'll sell them. Actually, having worked for them at that time that is exactly what happened. They didn't sell them because it was unnecessary, but they got enough "tuners" asking for them that they saw a market, did some R&D and started offering drilled rotors.

The time for drilled rotors has passed. The original reason for the holes was to give the gasses generated from the friction material a place to go rather than creating a barrier between the pad and the rotor.
Modern friction materials do not out-gas like older pads (Ferodo DS11's anyone?).

The holes also had an unexpected side-benefit in that pads that really needed to be up to temp to work well tended to warm up slightly faster with drilled rotors. It was subtle, but with a good and consistent driver you could see it in the lap times.

Chamfering the holes results in holes that now have two sharp edges per side rather than one. Notice that the wilwood rotors are radiused. That isn't an accident.
Posted By: AlexP

Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! - 09/30/14 03:27 PM

I've seen Brembo 345x32 Drilled rotor rings crack, I've seen stoptech rotor blanks crack, I've seen racing brake rings crack. All rotors will get subsurface cracks and indications eventually.

Drilled rotors just have more places for these cracks to form.
Posted By: jcc

Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! - 09/30/14 05:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:

... Wilwood would not sell drilled rotors if they were no good. .....

Sure they will. They're in the business of selling brake parts. Enough people ask for them and they'll sell them. Actually, having worked for them at that time that is exactly what happened. They didn't sell them because it was unnecessary, but they got enough "tuners" asking for them that they saw a market, did some R&D and started offering drilled rotors.

The time for drilled rotors has passed. The original reason for the holes was to give the gasses generated from the friction material a place to go rather than creating a barrier between the pad and the rotor.
Modern friction materials do not out-gas like older pads (Ferodo DS11's anyone?).

The holes also had an unexpected side-benefit in that pads that really needed to be up to temp to work well tended to warm up slightly faster with drilled rotors. It was subtle, but with a good and consistent driver you could see it in the lap times.

Chamfering the holes results in holes that now have two sharp edges per side rather than one. Notice that the wilwood rotors are radiused. That isn't an accident.

Not sure if you are implying the faster lap times were for quicker warm up rotor temps every lap only from drilled rotors, or the simple fact that drilled rotors have less rotational mass, effecting both acceleration and braking positively.

Good point on the two vs one edge on chamfering and the curent reduced out gassing issues.

Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! - 10/01/14 02:15 AM

Lap times were longer due to needing to brake earlier because the cold pads weren't as effective. Drilled rotors tended to heat the pads up faster than undrilled. Wasn't a huge difference, had to really pay attention and an uber consistent driver is a must.

Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! - 11/03/14 01:38 AM

I recently got the missing brake rotor from Dr. Diff the other week. The front rotors from the Stage 4 kit I got have internal vanes that are vertical while these new rotors are curved
The weird thing is they are both curved in the same direction! Kind of hard to see though cause I painted one hi-temp black

I actually have 2 drivers side rotors! Cass emailed me back and said this was normal. It appears that OEMs often produce rotors like this even on their halo cars. Is it ideal? No, but I have no problems running like this because I doubt I'll get into high enough temps to max out my Carbotech XP12's

On a side note, these suckers are heavy!
They weigh more than my wheels!
Posted By: 72440CUDA

Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! - 11/03/14 11:37 PM

Quote:

I recently got the missing brake rotor from Dr. Diff the other week. The front rotors from the Stage 4 kit I got have internal vanes that are vertical while these new rotors are curved
The weird thing is they are both curved in the same direction! .... Is it ideal? No, but I have no problems running like this because I doubt I'll get into high enough temps to max out my...

I noticed the same thing with my kit. Vanes are same direction but drilled holes/slots are different... when they crack I'll switch them out to slotted. Car gets very few miles, so I can wait, not a show stopper.

Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! - 11/04/14 01:54 AM

Quote:

Yep!

That's why I discourage people from going really big like I did on the hot rod. Those rotors are 37 pounds EACH. 74 pounds of spinning weight in just front rotors.

As for the uber cars, here's a pic I took of the front suspension on a Mercedes SLR. Notice the big duct running backwards. It leads to a cap that blows down over the top of the rotor.
The smaller duct runs into the center of the rotor behind the hub.

The carbon ceramic rotors have straight vanes.

These brakes tend to dump a bunch of heat and even flicker with flame when pushed hard. That's a big part of the reason for the shield around the lower ball joint.

Attached picture 8320521-SLRsuspension.jpg

Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! - 11/04/14 01:57 AM

Here's the back side of the caliper cooling duct.

Attached picture 8320525-SLRbrakecooling.jpg

Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! - 11/04/14 02:02 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Yep!

That's why I discourage people from going really big like I did on the hot rod. Those rotors are 37 pounds EACH. 74 pounds of spinning weight in just front rotors.

As for the uber cars, here's a pic I took of the front suspension on a Mercedes SLR. Notice the big duct running backwards. It leads to a cap that blows down over the top of the rotor.
The smaller duct runs into the center of the rotor behind the hub.

The carbon ceramic rotors have straight vanes.

These brakes tend to dump a bunch of heat and even flicker with flame when pushed hard. That's a big part of the reason for the shield around the lower ball joint.

What calipers does this car use? Same as you have? 8 piston Brembo's? If so how much is that caliper duct? The one that fits on the caliper.

Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! - 11/04/14 02:08 AM

Quote:

What calipers does this car use? Same as you have? 8 piston Brembo's? If so how much is that caliper duct?

It uses a similar caliper but not the same.
You do not want to price ANYTHING for an SLR. They are all short run custom made pieces. Prices are astronomical.

I had the same idea when I took those pics a few years ago. I don't recall what the price was but it ran me off even with my cost + 10% employee pricing.

Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! - 11/04/14 02:11 AM

Quote:

Quote:

What calipers does this car use? Same as you have? 8 piston Brembo's? If so how much is that caliper duct?

You do not want to price ANYTHING for an SLR. They are all short run custom made pieces. Prices are astronomical.

I had the same idea when I took those pics a few years ago. I don't recall what the price was but it ran me off even with my cost + 10% employee pricing.

Your right! I found this.... http://www.mbpartsworld.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_product=8019422&ukey_assembly=1082505

Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! - 11/04/14 02:13 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Your right! I found this.... http://www.mbpartsworld.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_product=8019422&ukey_assembly=1082505

Pretty cheap compared to the $20,000 rotors.

Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! - 11/04/14 02:21 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

or the calipers at $2700 each! I just got a pair for $600
( 2005 E55 AMG) I found rotors 13"x 1 3/8" ( they fit I have a pair) that weight 19lbs each

Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! - 11/04/14 03:49 AM

Quote:

Quote:

The weird thing is they are both curved in the same direction! .... Is it ideal? No, but I have no problems running like this because I doubt I'll get into high enough temps to max out my...

I noticed the same thing with my kit. Vanes are same direction but drilled holes/slots are different... when they crack I'll switch them out to slotted. Car gets very few miles, so I can wait, not a show stopper.

I haven't taken a look at mine... That's going to bug me so much as I get bugged by unsymmetry. Is there a non-slotted version available? Maybe off another car (for the future).

Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! - 11/04/14 04:04 AM

I would not worry about it as I would have no problems running these wrong way rotors.
I was reading up and the difference would be about 100 degrees which isn't much when you consider XP12's can take about 1,850 degrees F.
You have a much lighter car also which makes a big difference

Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! - 11/04/14 04:06 AM

Quote:

I would not worry about it as I would have no problems running these wrong way rotors.
I was reading up and the difference would be about 100 degrees which isn't much when you consider XP12's can take about 1,850 degrees F.
You have a much lighter car also which makes a big difference

Plus, mine is considerably slower as well with the tired 273.

Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! - 11/05/14 03:40 PM

How (and when) was that temp difference measured?

Personally, if the kit's vendor isn't going to send me the correct rotors for each side, or at least straight vane rotors, I'd want my money back. It is either a cost-cutting measure or a lack of availability driving this and neither yields an acceptable rsult.

Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! - 11/05/14 04:20 PM

I seriously doubt that the direction of the vanes will make any difference in performance.

Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! - 11/05/14 06:51 PM

Quote:

Personally, if the kit's vendor isn't going to send me the correct rotors for each side, or at least straight vane rotors, I'd want my money back. It is either a cost-cutting measure or a lack of availability driving this and neither yields an acceptable rsult.

I agree, If directionally of the vanes is important enough to provide an advertised marketing benefit over straight vane, its important enough that it it at least go the right direction, in my mind. Additionally, any unintentional temp difference side to side, will cause pad friction to vary, slight, but it will.

Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! - 11/06/14 04:44 AM

Quote:

I seriously doubt that the direction of the vanes will make any difference in performance.

Were I still with wilwood I could probably counter that claim with hard data. As I am not I'm left with the Accounts were given a good enough reason or reasons by the Engineers to justify the expense of left and right curved vane master-plates and the "duplication" of inventory. Otherwise why bother with curved at all, leave them all straight.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! - 11/06/14 06:57 AM

Engineers like to turd polish, left hand thread lug studs come to mind.

Accountants like to penny pinch.

Somewhere in between is ideal.

Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! - 11/06/14 07:59 AM

Quote:

To be honest I just found some info on an Audi forum
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/329948-Directional-Vanes-How-important-are-they

Like I said I understand that it is wrong but yeah I'm not really worried about it. The rotor is still a 13 inch 24lb. heat sink and I'm sure it will perform just fine at the track. If it doesn't, I will certainly post it up on here.

I am grateful Dr. Diff produced a pretty good Stage 4 brake kit for the money, so no way am I returning them. If rotors with the opposite vanes are made I will just buy two more
Posted By: Blusmbl

Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! - 11/07/14 01:29 AM

Quote:

If somebody wants to really try them, the ZR1 Corvette cf rotors are only around $950/apiece on Amazon.
Posted By: OzHemi

Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! - 11/07/14 02:15 AM

Quote:

Quote:

If somebody wants to really try them, the ZR1 Corvette cf rotors are only around $950/apiece on Amazon.

There was all sorts of companies out at SEMA with CF rotors as well...bunch of offshore/probably cheaper sorta ones too.

Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! - 11/08/14 12:56 AM

Quote:

There was all sorts of companies out at SEMA with CF rotors as well...bunch of offshore/probably cheaper sorta ones too.

That scares me.
Posted By: OzHemi

Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! - 11/08/14 01:58 AM

Quote:

Quote:

That scares me.

The Brembo and AP Racing ones looked nice though.

Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! - 11/08/14 04:26 PM

I got a kick out of seeing the pics of the McLaren carbon ceramic rotor that ate the brake pad packing plate.
I really should have asked the tech to send them to me.
Posted By: DoctorDiff

Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! - 11/11/14 03:44 AM

My Stage 4 brake kit uses Mercedes rotors because they are the only off-the-shelf part deep enough to keep the fat calipers away from the spokes of a commonly available/reasonably priced wheel.

For some reason, Mercedes produces only ONE rotor with directional vanes. I talked to Centric about this last year at SEMA. They were getting complaints from customers about the straight vanes on their aftermarket rotors, so they recently started producing one directional rotor for both sides, just like the OEM Mercedes rotors.

Because Mercedes installs the same directional rotor on BOTH sides of the vehicle. I buy blank rotors and have them slotted (L and R), so at least they match the look of of the rear rotors.

Of course, Baer 2 piece Eradispeed rotors are also available, which almost double the cost of the brake kit.

Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! - 11/11/14 05:24 PM

Quote:

My Stage 4 brake kit uses Mercedes rotors because they are the only off-the-shelf part deep enough to keep the fat calipers away from the spokes of a commonly available/reasonably priced wheel.

Are those the same 220 chassis S-class rotors I used? They had the deep offset and were available in 13" and 14" diameters.

Sadly, the 14s are 37 lbs each.
Posted By: DoctorDiff

Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! - 11/12/14 06:34 AM

You are correct.
Posted By: astjp2

Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! - 11/12/14 06:43 AM

Coleman will build any rotor you want, they make the hats and the rotors 2 piece so they can be rebuilt once they get wore out. Cost is a little more than a centric but they are an option. Tim
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! - 11/13/14 08:27 PM

When we were putting together our ChumpCar, I was explicitly to stay away from drill and slotted brakes. The drilled units tend to come apart. So far so good. We run a quality stock rotor w/ Hawk Black pads, We probably have 24 hours of racing on this set and they have about 50-60% life left.
Posted By: the ghoul

Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! - 11/18/14 08:16 PM

I disagree;
I have run the "cheap" drilled rotors for many years on many different cars with no issues.By "cheap" I mean the auto store replacement rotors that some one has drilled in their shop.
Yes I agree the serve no purpose other than look cool, yes less material means less heat disapation, and yes more surface area the greater possibility of crack nuclation.... However on the street these are vary minor inefficiencys. Even in autocross events your brakes donot get hot enough for any of this to make a difference. I have found that the pads wear excessively and the rotors start to develop un-even wear long before any material fatigue can take place..... And that's on a daily driver; so these issues will be even less evident on a "good weather" car.
The quickest I have ever had a set fail was on a modern silverado I drove daily and hauled many cars/parts with. I went thru a set of ebay drilled rotors in 10k miles. Even then I blame the ceramic pads more than I do the rotors.

IMO if you like how the look go for it, if you are trying to build a "race car" you are never going to get there with ebay parts, so stop being cheap.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! - 11/18/14 08:50 PM

Quote:

I disagree;
I have run the "cheap" drilled rotors for many years on many different cars with no issues.By "cheap" I mean the auto store replacement rotors that some one has drilled in their shop.
Yes I agree the serve no purpose other than look cool, yes less material means less heat disapation, and yes more surface area the greater possibility of crack nuclation.... However on the street these are vary minor inefficiencys. Even in autocross events your brakes donot get hot enough for any of this to make a difference. I have found that the pads wear excessively and the rotors start to develop un-even wear long before any material fatigue can take place..... And that's on a daily driver; so these issues will be even less evident on a "good weather" car.
The quickest I have ever had a set fail was on a modern silverado I drove daily and hauled many cars/parts with. I went thru a set of ebay drilled rotors in 10k miles. Even then I blame the ceramic pads more than I do the rotors.

IMO if you like how the look go for it, if you are trying to build a "race car" you are never going to get there with ebay parts, so stop being cheap.

wow

So Professor, what is "heat disapation"?

Or "crack nuclation"?

Or this one "vary minor inefficiencys"

Kinda like a knock off professor, not the real thing but close enough for the foolish to buy.

Yeah, I know what you "meant", but if you want to be taken seriously you have to write that way, not like a beauty school drop out.
Posted By: the ghoul

Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! - 11/18/14 09:33 PM

Sorry, I have a materials science background (few years of study at asm international) so the two worlds don't often play well with each other.
As far as you taking me seriously or not i don't care. I am just telling it how I see it. I have personal experence on the topic I am trying to share.
If you want to belittle me to negate that; that's your problem not mine. I don't care if you come across as the "big man" on an Internet forum.
If you want to see how this topic plays out over and over again Google it and read some of the import forums; you will find topics gong back 10+ years. Time and time again you have the alarmists and want-to-be engineers trying to convince everyone that their rotors will explode; and the people that have run them on daily drivers and autocross cars for many years that have experences no issues at all.

I've seen both sides of this and stand by the oppinion that for "race" applications there are a lot better style rotors out there. If you have a daily driver you want to run them on because you think they look good than you will be fine.

Do what you want with that, dosent hurt me one bit either way.

Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! - 11/19/14 12:35 AM

I agree to disagree;

I have no problems if a person wants to buy drilled rotors. I am happy that you are happy with your purchase. Everyone is entitled to buy whatever part they want.

The issue is when it comes time for me to buy the un-drilled rotors that I want, but can't because the market is saturated with drilled rotors that I don't want, then it becomes a minor inconvenience for me.

Drilled rotors are fine for the street and autocross because you don't build up heat as high when compared to driving a track day at a road course. Driving repeat extended hard laps at a road course will crack any cast iron rotor eventually, drilled or not.

I already have a spare set of un-drilled rotors so...
that makes me happy

Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! - 11/19/14 12:40 AM

I must admit that the grammatical errors push me into the "whatever" mindset too, especially considering that nucleation refers to creating a new self-organized structure.

I can tell you that the import crowd suggested that I stay away from most of the aftermarket rotors. I was looking at doing a little update on my 200 Super S and had an eye on the Lancer brakes. A coworker (runs an Evo at 180+ in the standing mile) referred me to some forums where guys complained about the budget brake rotor failures.

Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! - 11/19/14 12:50 AM

Quote:

Drilled rotors are fine for the street and autocross because you don't build up heat as high when compared to driving a track day at a road course. Driving repeat extended hard laps at a road course will crack any cast iron rotor eventually, drilled or not.

Are you inferring its the elevated temps that mainly causes the cracking cracking issue? Because I thought that cracking was related more to varying and repeated temp changes, not the ultimate temp, and if that is true, seems like street use would have more and wider temp changes then a closed circuit race track use. I'm not sure of the temp swings.

I would think most would agree a drilled rotor would crack easier then a solid rotor, and most will agreed a failed rotor when being driven/used is kinda bad, where we agree to disagree and reagree is how likely that is to happen and how much risk one is comfortable with assuming that risk.

Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! - 11/19/14 01:16 AM

Quote:

Are you inferring its the elevated temps that mainly causes the cracking cracking issue? Because I thought that cracking was related more to varying and repeated temp changes, not the ultimate temp, and if that is true, seems like street use would have more and wider temp changes then a closed circuit race track use. I'm not sure of the temp swings.

I would think most would agree a drilled rotor would crack easier then a solid rotor, and most will agreed a failed rotor when being driven/used is kinda bad, where we agree to disagree and reagree is how likely that is to happen and how much risk one is comfortable with assuming that risk.

Probably? What the heck do I know?

I drive a 40 year old Plymouth...
I'm not that smart,
haha!

Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! - 11/19/14 04:49 AM

Holes in pretty much anything are evil stress risers, avoid them.

I know of a set of drilled rotors that didn't even make it 10k miles before cracking. Yeah, they were home drilled about 20 years ago. Don't care, no drilled for me. Those that want them know that I'm laughing at your ignorance.

Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! - 11/19/14 05:14 PM

Quote:

I know of a set of drilled rotors that didn't even make it 10k miles before cracking. Yeah, they were home drilled about 20 years ago. Don't care, no drilled for me. Those that want them know that I'm laughing at your ignorance.

Now I'm laughing at your ignorance.

Holes cast into the rotor during manufacturing do not promote stress fractures.
Holes drilled into rotors after casting will lead to fractures.

That's been proven through the years.

The holes provide limited outgassing, reduce weight, and save raw materials. They also look sporty to some people. That's why they get used.

Sometimes performance oriented auto manufacturers investigate things a wee bit more thoroughly than internet keyboard warriors.

Now, would you like to revise that statement?

Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! - 11/20/14 05:41 AM

Feets does speak truth to his claim. The reason why rotors that are drilled tend to fail quicker than rotors that are cast all has to do with the grain structure. When you drill into a rotor, you are drilling through the grains and interrupting the grain structure (i.e. around the holes, the grains are going to be smaller due to the material you removed vs. the rest of the structure). The rotors that are cast with holes in the casting are going to have a fairly equal grain structure throughout the whole structure (including the area around the holes). That's as much detail as I can throw out at the moment about materials with 3 hours of sleep.
Posted By: amxautox

Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! - 11/20/14 05:51 AM

And don't forget that when you drill, you are actually tearing the metal. That leaves stress risers all around the hole. Thus it can crack in any direction, sometimes in all directions at once.

Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! - 11/20/14 04:03 PM

I think we are splitting hairs here, a hole, drilled or cast, is a stress riser compared to no hole, period.

Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! - 11/20/14 08:02 PM

Quote:

I think we are splitting hairs here, a hole, drilled or cast, is a stress riser compared to no hole, period.

The king of splitting hairs comments about others splitting hairs?

Obviously, rotors with holes are inferior to non-holed rotors. That's why you'll never see them on supercars costing hundreds of thousands of dollars.

OOPS!! I misspoke. That car cost a couple million dollars, runs 250+ mph, and has zero engineering behind it.
Stupid VW! What were they thinking?
Posted By: bordin34

Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! - 11/20/14 08:12 PM

I replaced the rotors on a Dinan Tuned E60 2005 BMW M5, the one with the 500hp v10. It had been driven hard and the rotors only had 140,000 miles on them. They are drilled.

Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! - 11/20/14 08:18 PM

I guess I shouldn't talk about Louis Hamilton's McLaren road car. After a robust outing at Circuit of the Americas the front brakes were toast.
Those drilled ceramic rotors not only outlasted the pads, they actually ground away the pad backing plate while remaining in spec.
The techs at the shop were passing around pics of the carnage. I wish I had them forward them to me.

Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! - 11/20/14 08:29 PM

It was probably all the holes in the rotor that chewed away at the pads, like little cutting edges.

Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! - 11/21/14 05:27 AM

Quote:

Correct; however, if you're purchasing drilled rotors you're better off with the cast ones.

Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! - 11/22/14 03:30 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Now I'm laughing at your ignorance.

Holes cast into the rotor during manufacturing do not promote stress fractures.
Holes drilled into rotors after casting will lead to fractures.

That's been proven through the years.

The holes provide limited outgassing, reduce weight, and save raw materials. They also look sporty to some people. That's why they get used.

Sometimes performance oriented auto manufacturers investigate things a wee bit more thoroughly than internet keyboard warriors.

Now, would you like to revise that statement?

I was a wilwood R&D Engineer for 2 years and have been crew in many forms of racing for over 20 years. After wilwood I spent 7 years in R&D with ecomotors.com. Keyboard warrior I am not.

I guess we're both laughing. No known metal rotor has those holes cast into them, even if they are those with cast-in holes they are still stress risers. If nothing else, review "Engineer to Win". That they were drilled as opposed to being formed by some other method is a small part of the total picture. Anything that changes the stress flow path or disrupts it is a stress riser.

Quote:

Quote:

The king of splitting hairs comments about others splitting hairs?

Obviously, rotors with holes are inferior to non-holed rotors. That's why you'll never see them on supercars costing hundreds of thousands of dollars.

OOPS!! I misspoke. That car cost a couple million dollars, runs 250+ mph, and has zero engineering behind it.
Stupid VW! What were they thinking?

As previously stated, drilled rotors are put on those cars for the buyers, because they think they're cool. Not because they're a better solution. Marketing trumps Engineering & Science every time. So those rotors prove nothing about actual performance. Can you prove that those cars set their high water marks wearing drilled rotors? We all know that they're sold with them, proves nothing. Most real Engineers have a bit better grasp of things than keyboard engineers.

Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! - 11/22/14 05:58 AM

AMIK, He doesn't take well to peeing in his cereal.

Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! - 11/22/14 05:01 PM

Quote:

I was a wilwood R&D Engineer for 2 years and have been crew in many forms of racing for over 20 years. After wilwood I spent 7 years in R&D with ecomotors.com. Keyboard warrior I am not.

I guess we're both laughing. No known metal rotor has those holes cast into them, even if they are those with cast-in holes they are still stress risers. If nothing else, review "Engineer to Win". That they were drilled as opposed to being formed by some other method is a small part of the total picture. Anything that changes the stress flow path or disrupts it is a stress riser.

As a metal working guy far too familiar with Mercedes rotors, I can tell you they were cast into the rotor, not drilled afterwards. If not, they had to be acid etched to get the cast finish inside the holes. Mercedes is also very proud of their rotors having the holes cast into them. Perhaps some 2 year brake engineer can humble the entire Mercedes Benz engineering staff but somehow I doubt it.

So, tell me how much R&D went into those cars I showed. I bet some of them received more extensive research than Wilwood did in the 2 years you were there.

If you were involved in racing for 20 years you should be familiar with the discoveries made during the Ford GT40 testing. They were fracturing rotors due to over cooling. The fresh air ducts were killing the brakes. Once they routed heated air from behind the radiator to the brakes the failures stopped.
That's a prime example of the real world pulling out surprises that engineers didn't consider.

Quote:

As previously stated, drilled rotors are put on those cars for the buyers, because they think they're cool. Not because they're a better solution. Marketing trumps Engineering & Science every time. So those rotors prove nothing about actual performance. Can you prove that those cars set their high water marks wearing drilled rotors? We all know that they're sold with them, proves nothing. Most real Engineers have a bit better grasp of things than keyboard engineers.

Surprise! I'm one of the guys who said drilled rotors are used because people think they're cool.

We all know that "real engineers" get their butts kicked by marketing on a regular basis. Keep spouting off with the whole engineer bit. I know a TON of engineers (worldwide) and can tell you some of those guys can't engineer their way out of a wet paper bag.

Frequently, "engineers" get caught up in minutiae. For the engineers out there, that means trivial stuff.
They go and go and go until they can't go anymore. They're measuring carbon content to the angstrom and studying the temperatures at which the base material goes from a plastic state to the liquid state despite the fact that you never want your product to get there.

Yes, all holes in rotors are stress risers.

Can you spot the stress risers in this pic?

If you said the vent holes, fastener holes, and contours around the fastener bosses you'd be partially correct.

How about this one?

See all of those slots? Those create fracture points that can not only move laterally but also across the width of the rotor by originating at the bottom of the cut.

ALL rotors have stress risers. You simply ENGINEER around them. Know that some tool paths will lead to more prevalent points of failure. Cutting will generally lead to an easier failure path than proper forming the features while casting.

You don't have to be a great engineer to know that metals have stress. All you have to do is measure a piece of flat cold rolled steel, cut into one side of it and measure the piece again. You will see deflection in the part due to stress in the steel introduced during rolling.

All formed structures are going to have some sort of stress. That stress is always looking for a way to get out. A good engineer will find the shapes and manufacturing processes that limit the failure rate of the finished product. Once you push that far away from the product's intended use it's time to call it done. In brake rotors you can limit the failure rate but you can't prevent it.

Pull the feather out of your engineer's cap and realize that other people sometimes know what they're talking about.
Posted By: Dan@Hotchkis

Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! - 11/22/14 07:22 PM

I just want to say reading along with this has been SUPER FUN.
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! - 11/22/14 11:37 PM

Mercedes are stupider.....
Posted By: BigBlockMopar

Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! - 11/23/14 12:07 AM

Now now guys, keep it serious please.
How about drilled rear drums?

Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! - 11/23/14 12:17 AM

Sure, lets in the water for better cooling.

Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! - 11/23/14 01:37 AM

Quote:

I just want to say reading along with this has been SUPER FUN.

Careful. Fun leads to a higher failure rate.

Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! - 11/23/14 05:11 AM

Quote:

That may not be too bad of an idea. It will let some of the heat trapped within the drum to leave. Just put it on the drum face. That shouldn't be a critical spot.
Posted By: moparx

Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! - 11/23/14 02:56 PM

Quote:

Quote:

That may not be too bad of an idea. It will let some of the heat trapped within the drum to leave. Just put it on the drum face. That shouldn't be a critical spot.

holes for drum cooling have been around forever. mostly used in the backing plate, but i have seen holes in all areas of the drum[including the friction area] also. some applications work, some don't. i have personally seen blowed up rotors and drums with, and without holes[slots]in them. as i am no engineer[but like feets, i know a bunch of 'em and some couldn't figure out a way to walk around a post], but observe the world around me and [try to] do stuff that works for the application at hand, and avoid the things that don't. and as a side note, i have done FUN things at times, then afterward wonder if that should have happened..........

Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! - 11/23/14 05:02 PM

Quote:

i have done FUN things at times, then afterward wonder if that should have happened..........

What was her name?

Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! - 11/23/14 05:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Well if the holes are cast in the drum, maybe they would work

And to rehash, holes in rotors are less about cooling then weight reduction, looks, and pad wiping/gas venting (thought to be a minor concern with todays compounds). And cooling is more about air movement/venting, nor sure how air is induced to vent from a drum, other then the heating/expansion of the air.

And besides, you can't see holes in drums.

Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! - 11/23/14 06:28 PM

Depends on where the holes are, say the side around the flange.

And the fins on the outside of the drums cause air flow, thus air current that would draw air from inside/thru/around the drum. Same as the fins in a vented rotor.
Posted By: TC@HP2

Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! - 11/23/14 07:44 PM

Quote:

holes for drum cooling have been around forever. mostly used in the backing plate,

I've have used this version before. Two 1.25" holes in the backing plate, one with a small hose and air pick up under the axle, the other as an exhaust.

Empirical evidence to its effectiveness, I don't know, but it seemed like a good idea for a 1/4" mile bull ring that mandated rear drums.
Posted By: BigBlockMopar

Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! - 11/23/14 10:36 PM

Anyone ever slotted their brake pads actually?

Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! - 11/25/14 05:55 AM

The pads in my AMG calipers weren't slotted but each caliper held 4 pads. Does that count?

Posted By: moparx

Re: Please don't buy drilled rotors!!! - 11/26/14 03:01 AM

Quote:

Quote:

i have done FUN things at times, then afterward wonder if that should have happened..........

What was her name?

that's the problem. i can't remember........
© 2024 Moparts Forums