09/23/14 11:41 PM
09/23/14 11:41 PM
Texas
GoodysGotaCuda Offline OP
5.7L Hemi, 6spd
GoodysGotaCuda  Offline OP
5.7L Hemi, 6spd

Texas
I'm very green to dealing with torsion-bar setups and what is out there for our Mopars. The purpose of putting my car together is going to be for some spirited driving and the occasional road course run...perhaps autocross as well.

I have the K-out and disassembled, I'll be cleaning it up and rebuilding a few things under there at the same time. The budget is really bang-for-buck, and "do it while it's apart" dependent. Things like upgrading LCA bushings [if avail] while it's apart or other changes that should be sternly considered while it's apart and out of the car. On the other end, I am interested in good bang-for-buck items, bar rate, perhaps UCAs[$$], etc. I'd say around $1,200 tops on upgrades, not including the steering box.

I would like to keep a good compromise of road manners, reliability, part-life and performance. I understand the benefits of reduced compliance of rod ends in various places, but I do not want to have a clicky suspension after a couple thousand street miles and have to be in the front end every year for maintenance/replacing ends. So perhaps keeping bushings with higher durometer would be better suited in a few places.

• My 0.9" bars will likely be going for 1.1" bars, from what I see that is the common upgrade diameter/rate for E-bodies. Brand? Mopar Performance? Other?

• My original strut rods are toast, bent up, chewed up threads, they'll be going. I would imagine there are aftermarket upgrades to reduce longitudinal compliance in the LCAs over what the factory was able to get done. Brand recommendation?

• The car has Cordoba 11-3/4" slider brakes on it, with the late B-body knuckles. I have to go back and check, but I think those are not the ideal knuckles to be running.

• LCA pivots, I see Hotchkis has some greasible units, worth the money? Someone else?

• Tie rods, my stockers are worn out and need replacing. The $350 ones Hotchkis has are sure nice, but I will have to look at DIYing those with some 5/8" rod ends, 4130 tubing and tube adapters. I could likely TIG a set of those up pretty quickly.

• UCAs - Worth replacing? My stockers have relatively new MOOG joints in them, I had an issue with the passenger side pushing the threads out, so it was tightened and tacked. Needless to say, I'm not trilled with the arms I have at the moment.

• Sway bar[s]. I have an OEM front sway bar, adding a rear would likely be worth upgrading. With the increase in torsion bar rate and perhaps some adjustable dampers, I may not dive into a front bar just yet.

Metal-work
As far as the K-member itself goes. I've been told to look it over for cracked welds, perhaps finishing up some factory welds as well. I am not aware of any areas that are prone to flexing around, does the steering box generally need any more support?

I will also be welding in some LCA reinforcement plates.

I hope I have most of the bases touched, I would like to have some input on which path to take on various parts for my budget/use.

Thanks!

1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi, T56 Magnum 6spd - https://www.facebook.com/GoodysGotaHemi
2020 RAM 1500
[img]https://i.imgur.com/v9yezP9.jpg[/img]
Re: Front End Recommendations - Stock K [Re: GoodysGotaCuda] #1676325
09/24/14 12:28 AM
09/24/14 12:28 AM
Santa Fe Springs, CA
Dan@Hotchkis Offline
super stock
Dan@Hotchkis  Offline
super stock

Santa Fe Springs, CA
We have all the bits you would need to replace the parts you are concerned about. If you need any help, feel free to give us a call!

Re: Front End Recommendations - Stock K [Re: GoodysGotaCuda] #1676326
09/24/14 12:36 AM
09/24/14 12:36 AM
NY NY
340duster340 Offline
master
340duster340  Offline
master

NY NY
i am doing a similar build on my 66 dart. i just want to make it nicer to drive and since its all apart and needed everything anyways i wound up ordering everything from firm feel except the 1.1 t bars and leafs that i had left over from another project.

Re: Front End Recommendations - Stock K [Re: GoodysGotaCuda] #1676327
09/24/14 12:38 AM
09/24/14 12:38 AM
NORTHERN CA
HUSTLESTUFF Offline
pro stock
HUSTLESTUFF  Offline
pro stock

NORTHERN CA
I think you need the basics. Firm feel for Steering box, biggest T bars they make, K member and LCA re-inforcing kit to weld on, lca pivots your choice of you want to grease. If you're making the tie rods might as well make the struts. Use Coleman racing for the struts and rod ends. I would go with Hotchkis UCA. Not sure on the spindle stuff. Go with biggest Hotchkis sway or FirmFeel and Hotchkis shock or Firm Feel Bilsteins. You will not be disappointed on street or track with this, unless you think its a new car. Oh and order the Hotchkis before the end of the month while they're on sale.

8279191-thunderhill.jpg (157 downloads)
Last edited by HUSTLESTUFF; 09/24/14 12:46 AM.

"Were in it to win it. Anything less will end up being..... A whole lot of fun doing!!" UNLAWFL
RIP UN
Re: Front End Recommendations - Stock K [Re: HUSTLESTUFF] #1676328
09/24/14 12:47 AM
09/24/14 12:47 AM
NorCal
RylisPro Offline
top fuel
RylisPro  Offline
top fuel

NorCal
Hey Hustlestuff when you gonna go to Thunderhill next? I wanna race you around the original track.
I think its better than Thunderhill West

Sorry for the hi-jack post Goody!

73 `Cuda
Instagram: @rylispro
YouTube: RylisPro
www.rylispro.com
925-214-9192
Re: Front End Recommendations - Stock K [Re: RylisPro] #1676329
09/24/14 01:59 AM
09/24/14 01:59 AM
Fresno, CA
Jim_Lusk Offline
I Live Here
Jim_Lusk  Offline
I Live Here

Fresno, CA
Check for slop in the LCA between the torsion bar socket and main body. See this video that I put together on how to fix it:

http://youtu.be/Nwes-SP8u4w?list=UUqvjc-8llEE-JKNFYw30-NQ

Re: Front End Recommendations - Stock K [Re: GoodysGotaCuda] #1676330
09/24/14 05:46 AM
09/24/14 05:46 AM
The Netherlands
BigBlockMopar Offline
master
BigBlockMopar  Offline
master

The Netherlands
Quote:

Metal-work
As far as the K-member itself goes. I've been told to look it over for cracked welds, perhaps finishing up some factory welds as well. I am not aware of any areas that are prone to flexing around, does the steering box generally need any more support?

Yes on all.
Lay some weld around the entire outer edges of the K-member. I personally think alternate welds of about 1 - 1.5" and 1" gaps would be sufficient.

Steeringbox mount def. could use reinforcing/gusseting. I already felt a difference on my Dart after just welding one simple plate on the mountingpad.
Think of it as it needs better sideways-supporting as the box counterreacts to the steeringlinkage and tires.

Re: Front End Recommendations - Stock K [Re: GoodysGotaCuda] #1676331
09/24/14 02:10 PM
09/24/14 02:10 PM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
There is nothing wrong with the B-body knuckles. On a more serious build I'd switch to the FMJ knuckles since they are lighter, but you probably wouldn't feel the difference.

The 11.75 setup works just fine but it is super heavy. DoctorDiff might have something in the brakes department that can save a little weight.

Re: Front End Recommendations - Stock K [Re: AndyF] #1676332
09/24/14 02:59 PM
09/24/14 02:59 PM
Chicago, Illinois
Devil Offline
I Live Here
Devil  Offline
I Live Here

Chicago, Illinois
This was a really good thread on the welded K-member.

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...rt=all&vc=1

Re: Front End Recommendations - Stock K [Re: GoodysGotaCuda] #1676333
09/25/14 01:29 AM
09/25/14 01:29 AM
IN
A
ahy Offline
master
ahy  Offline
master
A

IN
Quote:

I'm very green to dealing with torsion-bar setups and what is out there for our Mopars. The purpose of putting my car together is going to be for some spirited driving and the occasional road course run...perhaps autocross as well.

I have the K-out and disassembled, I'll be cleaning it up and rebuilding a few things under there at the same time. The budget is really bang-for-buck, and "do it while it's apart" dependent. Things like upgrading LCA bushings [if avail] while it's apart or other changes that should be sternly considered while it's apart and out of the car. On the other end, I am interested in good bang-for-buck items, bar rate, perhaps UCAs[$$], etc. I'd say around $1,200 tops on upgrades, not including the steering box.

I would like to keep a good compromise of road manners, reliability, part-life and performance. I understand the benefits of reduced compliance of rod ends in various places, but I do not want to have a clicky suspension after a couple thousand street miles and have to be in the front end every year for maintenance/replacing ends. So perhaps keeping bushings with higher durometer would be better suited in a few places.

• My 0.9" bars will likely be going for 1.1" bars, from what I see that is the common upgrade diameter/rate for E-bodies. Brand? Mopar Performance? Other?

• My original strut rods are toast, bent up, chewed up threads, they'll be going. I would imagine there are aftermarket upgrades to reduce longitudinal compliance in the LCAs over what the factory was able to get done. Brand recommendation?

• The car has Cordoba 11-3/4" slider brakes on it, with the late B-body knuckles. I have to go back and check, but I think those are not the ideal knuckles to be running.

• LCA pivots, I see Hotchkis has some greasible units, worth the money? Someone else?

• Tie rods, my stockers are worn out and need replacing. The $350 ones Hotchkis has are sure nice, but I will have to look at DIYing those with some 5/8" rod ends, 4130 tubing and tube adapters. I could likely TIG a set of those up pretty quickly.

• UCAs - Worth replacing? My stockers have relatively new MOOG joints in them, I had an issue with the passenger side pushing the threads out, so it was tightened and tacked. Needless to say, I'm not trilled with the arms I have at the moment.

• Sway bar[s]. I have an OEM front sway bar, adding a rear would likely be worth upgrading. With the increase in torsion bar rate and perhaps some adjustable dampers, I may not dive into a front bar just yet.

Metal-work

I will also be welding in some LCA reinforcement plates.

I hope I have most of the bases touched, I would like to have some input on which path to take on various parts for my budget/use.

Thanks!

Just a few comments.

For the T bars, you need more than .9". What is "right" is application dependent and heavily debated. I like my 1" bars. 1.1" sounds good also and needs high end shocks to control. Budget?

On front suspension part questions, do you know your current alignment? The new aftermarket UCA's can help increase positive caster and negative camber if you need it. Otherwise your stocker's should be fine.

For the strut rods, in part it depends on LCA bushings and tolerance's on the K. Rubber bushings will help hold the LCA in place and stock rods will work OK. With poly LCA bushings, adjustable rods may be needed to keep everything in place. Stock rods are out there (I have a set) and also may be re-popped.

For the tie rods, upgrade to larger diameter (11/16"?)is available from the parts store. I believe you are looking for later 70's C parts (eg Dodge Monaco). Firm Feel, Mancini and others also offer these.

The other consideration is the Chassis. Frame connectors help a lot, especially with stiffer T bars.

Re: Front End Recommendations - Stock K [Re: GoodysGotaCuda] #1676334
09/25/14 12:18 PM
09/25/14 12:18 PM
Irving, TX
feets Offline
Senior Management
feets  Offline
Senior Management

Irving, TX
I'll drop those LCA plates in the mail since I forgot to bring them with me last weekend.

We are brothers and sisters doing time on the planet for better or worse. I'll take the better, if you don't mind.
- Stu Harmon
Re: Front End Recommendations - Stock K [Re: ahy] #1676335
09/25/14 12:23 PM
09/25/14 12:23 PM
Irving, TX
feets Offline
Senior Management
feets  Offline
Senior Management

Irving, TX
Quote:

For the tie rods, upgrade to larger diameter (11/16"?)is available from the parts store. I believe you are looking for later 70's C parts (eg Dodge Monaco). Firm Feel, Mancini and others also offer these.

I did this with the hot rod.
The adjusting sleeves were a bit long so I trimmed both ends of each sleeve a wee bit to get things in spec.

We are brothers and sisters doing time on the planet for better or worse. I'll take the better, if you don't mind.
- Stu Harmon
Re: Front End Recommendations - Stock K [Re: GoodysGotaCuda] #1676336
09/25/14 02:50 PM
09/25/14 02:50 PM
Houston, Tx
A
AlexP Offline
I Live Here
AlexP  Offline
I Live Here
A

Houston, Tx

I've got the 1.22" and I like them. I found mine on sale when there were no other options.

Firm feel, Hotchkis, any will do.

I think they're fine for now, the next step up is to find a factory drum spindle and go with a 11.75" c body with a viper caliper from dr diff. About $600...but there are also $800-1200 kits that use a better caliper and 13" rotor.

I've got firm feel pins with poly bushings.

I like the C-body tie rod ends and sleeves on a budget. That's what I've got.

I would splurge on a set of Hotckis tubulars if you can't reuse your originals

I like hellwig for the dollar. Hotchkis is a close second.

Metal-work

Lots of welding and guessting. I would use the firm feel kit.

My Build thread: Let the hemi swap begin!

1968 wanna be pro touring whatchamacallit with some fancy stuff and a new roof skin.
Re: Front End Recommendations - Stock K [Re: Devil] #1676337
09/25/14 05:05 PM
09/25/14 05:05 PM
Granite Bay CA
Kern Dog Offline
Striving for excellence
Kern Dog  Offline
Striving for excellence

Granite Bay CA
Quote:

I agree....

Since then the Charger feels more solid than ever. My goals were to equal the steering and feel of a 76 Camaro that I used to own years ago that I'd spent years refining. The GM F body was a great handling car for its time.
The reduction of flex has many benefits. Quicker response, fewer rattles and a more "solid" feel are just a few of them.

Re: Front End Recommendations - Stock K [Re: Kern Dog] #1676338
09/25/14 11:31 PM
09/25/14 11:31 PM
Texas
5.7L Hemi, 6spd
5.7L Hemi, 6spd

Texas
Quote:

Check for slop in the LCA between the torsion bar socket and main body. See this video that I put together on how to fix it:

http://youtu.be/Nwes-SP8u4w?list=UUqvjc-8llEE-JKNFYw30-NQ

Thanks, I checked out my arms, not too much slop surprisingly. I will be putting in some LCA plates, so I'll tighten things up a little then!

Quote:

Yes on all.
Lay some weld around the entire outer edges of the K-member. I personally think alternate welds of about 1 - 1.5" and 1" gaps would be sufficient.

Steeringbox mount def. could use reinforcing/gusseting. I already felt a difference on my Dart after just welding one simple plate on the mountingpad.
Think of it as it needs better sideways-supporting as the box counterreacts to the steeringlinkage and tires.

I looked it over today and see where some improvements could be made. I'll try to borrow a TIG to just work those seems over rather than the MIG I have. I hate using a MIG for that sorta stuff.

Quote:

There is nothing wrong with the B-body knuckles. On a more serious build I'd switch to the FMJ knuckles since they are lighter, but you probably wouldn't feel the difference.

The 11.75 setup works just fine but it is super heavy. DoctorDiff might have something in the brakes department that can save a little weight.

Thanks Andy, I moved them around today and good-grief they ARE HEAVY! I'll look for an alternative later on, but I'll be glad to get rid of that unsprung weight when I do.

Quote:

Thanks Devil, I'll be doing some of the same.

Quote:

Just a few comments.

For the T bars, you need more than .9". What is "right" is application dependent and heavily debated. I like my 1" bars. 1.1" sounds good also and needs high end shocks to control. Budget?

On front suspension part questions, do you know your current alignment? The new aftermarket UCA's can help increase positive caster and negative camber if you need it. Otherwise your stocker's should be fine.

For the strut rods, in part it depends on LCA bushings and tolerance's on the K. Rubber bushings will help hold the LCA in place and stock rods will work OK. With poly LCA bushings, adjustable rods may be needed to keep everything in place. Stock rods are out there (I have a set) and also may be re-popped.

The other consideration is the Chassis. Frame connectors help a lot, especially with stiffer T bars.

Thanks for the input! Seems like some middle-of-the-road strut rods will get me by. I'm not too thrilled about those being $300 parts, I'd rather save some money there and put it toward some UCAs.

Good info on the C-body tie rods!

Quote:

I'll drop those LCA plates in the mail since I forgot to bring them with me last weekend.

Thanks Kevin, I'm in Ft Worth on Saturdays, close to the train station? I don't get around there very well.

Quote:

I've got the 1.22" and I like them. I found mine on sale when there were no other options.

Firm feel, Hotchkis, any will do.

I think they're fine for now, the next step up is to find a factory drum spindle and go with a 11.75" c body with a viper caliper from dr diff. About $600...but there are also $800-1200 kits that use a better caliper and 13" rotor.

I've got firm feel pins with poly bushings.

I like the C-body tie rod ends and sleeves on a budget. That's what I've got.

I would splurge on a set of Hotckis tubulars if you can't reuse your originals

I like hellwig for the dollar. Hotchkis is a close second.

Metal-work

Lots of welding and guessting. I would use the firm feel kit.

Thanks Alex, I'm working on my shopping list.

I got the K de-gunked with a pressure washer. I'll work it over with a cup brush and work on some gusseting next week.

8281309-IMG_3678.jpg (127 downloads)

1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi, T56 Magnum 6spd - https://www.facebook.com/GoodysGotaHemi
2020 RAM 1500
Re: Front End Recommendations - Stock K [Re: GoodysGotaCuda] #1676339
10/07/14 11:57 PM
10/07/14 11:57 PM
Texas
5.7L Hemi, 6spd
5.7L Hemi, 6spd

Texas
I'm slowly picking away at the K. I welded up a few seams, and got a bit of a game plan going for gusseting the steering box. The factory definitely left a lot to be desired here

2020 RAM 1500
Re: Front End Recommendations - Stock K [Re: GoodysGotaCuda] #1676340
10/08/14 11:05 AM
10/08/14 11:05 AM
Ontario,Canada
brads70 Offline
super stock
brads70  Offline
super stock

Ontario,Canada
Be carefully with the dimple dies , They could distort things...?

Re: Front End Recommendations - Stock K [Re: brads70] #1676341
10/08/14 11:39 AM
10/08/14 11:39 AM
Texas
5.7L Hemi, 6spd
5.7L Hemi, 6spd

Texas
Quote:

Be carefully with the dimple dies , They could distort things...?

Their material deformation is very locally located on something like this, in my opinion. I've used the dies pretty extensively in the past and that is what I've noticed.

Re: Front End Recommendations - Stock K [Re: GoodysGotaCuda] #1676342
10/08/14 07:23 PM
10/08/14 07:23 PM
Answering the call of the wild
T
ThermoQuad Offline
top fuel
ThermoQuad  Offline
top fuel
T

Answering the call of the wild
Turn up the current-good penetrating welding is required. Use the thick area of the seam you are welding to sink the current.

Hit the edges you are going to weld with a grinder.

Weld sections and allow to cool

Weld everything

Be sure to fully box the steering mount

Wear a welding respirator and safety glasses under the welding helmet.

Re: Front End Recommendations - Stock K [Re: ahy] #1676343
10/09/14 07:33 AM
10/09/14 07:33 AM
the frozen wastes...
Pale_Roader Offline
Swears too much
Pale_Roader  Offline
Swears too much

the frozen wastes...
Quote:

Why would stiffer T-bars need better shocks? I know everything should always have the best shock in the budget, but is there an actual need for a superior shock if the front spring rate is serious?

So far my 70 Challenger's budget is looking like VERY serious T-bars (best available) and not much better than stock range shocks. We cant all afford Bilsteins. I NEED to buy T-bars (mine are 6-cyl), and i'm not buying them twice. I'll upgrade shocks down the road when funds allow.

Page 1 of 2 1 2