Sweet Home Alabama
M
MRMOPAR622 Offline
top fuel
MRMOPAR622  Offline
top fuel
M

Sweet Home Alabama
I have been Racing Fast Mopars since the early 80's,all the other racers called me a kid back then,so I guess I can say I have been Racing Mopars since I was a Kid!

Now to get to the point,it was all ways me(Mopar) against the chevy's & ford's with the Mopar I was never the good guy,they even thought I had to be Cheating to Win with a Mopar.

A few years ago and I found this site and I thought at long last I have found some fellow Mopar racers who will be on my side.
And we all know the answer to that,we are against each other worse then the ford & chevy guys are against us.
The ones that have no need or use for after market parts bash anyone who mentions building us any,knowing that the ones who race need them.Instead of helping each other we work against each other.If anyone ask for help when the ones on here that have or have had the same try and answer them over 70% that have not had or have them but have read in a book will try and steer them in the wrong direction.
Because of the $$$ problem and the need for Bigger engines I had to make the change last year in my Racing to chevy and it has been great the chevy people who used to not like me now like me and will go out of their way both at the track as well as away from the track to help.And there are so many different parts and at great prices it will make your head spin.
With that being said I may have no choice at the present but to race a chevy but still am and will always be a Mopar man!They may take me away from the Mopar,but they will never take the Mopar out of me!
Us Mopar Racers & People do not have all the parts the chevy & ford people have and never will and I understand that.
But what I can not understand is why we can not be like the chevy & ford people are when it comes to Mopars and all of us if not friends at least work together instead of against each other,believe me we had enough chevy & fords guys & girls working against us that its not like we need any more against us!

Last edited by MRMOPAR622; 09/23/14 01:10 PM.

"To Be The Man'You Have Got To Beat The Man" "T/D and Pro-Bracket Racer"
Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: MRMOPAR622] #1673838
09/23/14 07:12 PM
09/23/14 07:12 PM
Virginia Beach, VA
O
Old School Offline
super stock
Old School  Offline
super stock
O

Virginia Beach, VA
What he said.....

68 cuda formula S 588" bb 5sp
70 CUDA CONVERT 500" 5SP (SUBLIME)
70 CUDA CONVERT 500" 5SP (PLUMCRAZY):TOO MUCH HORSEPOWER, IS ALMOST ENOUGH!
Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: ] #1673839
09/23/14 09:12 PM
09/23/14 09:12 PM
Washington
M
madscientist Offline
master
madscientist  Offline
master
M

Washington
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

My only issue with you, is your constantly belittling Mopar guys as cheap dinosaurs, for not buying the same parts you claim aren't good enough for you !! I find that ironic and hypocritical...

This whole post is because a few Mopar guys talked about how nice it would be to have blocks available priced similar to chevy blocks....and the bashing began....

Most of your posts are very interesting, straight to the point, make perfect sense.....

I said this, not Monty. If you think main girdles and off the shelf cams are for you, I would not build you anything. It's that simple.

Monty has said this and insinuated it many times, but now appears to be backtracking on it, cool....

I wouldn't have you build me anything, it's that simple, so we are good....

Just curious, would you build ANY Mopar engine, since you seem to feel they are all inferior and silly ?? I apologize if I have interpreted your statements incorrectly, but from all you've said, it seems to be your belief.

I still build Chrysler based engines. And others too. I just won't build one for you (or anyone else) who thinks it's acceptable to use junkyard parts and build geometrically retarded engines. I'm too old for that stupidity.
I will say it again, for clarity: You will never EVER compete in real (read heads up) competition when you have an engine based on less than 1.0 bore/stroke ratio. And 1.0 is the bare MINIMUM. It's just stupid. Using 40-50 year old blocks and heads (in these situations) is just IGNORANT.
When you can get 20 (or more) BBC "conventional" heads and even more for SBC when Chrysler and the aftermarket can barely scrape up 4-5. Stupid really, why anyone would ever consider a MoPar.
That being said, I'm going to build a stock block, stock stroke, stock rod, stock headed, solid lifter 425-450 HP SB Chrysler that will be a daily driver. I actually thought about posting a thread about the build with pics and flow numbers. But who would care?

Just because you think it won't make it true. Horsepower is KING. To dispute this is stupid. C. Alston
Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: madscientist] #1673840
09/24/14 12:02 AM
09/24/14 12:02 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

Just curious, would you build ANY Mopar engine, since you seem to feel they are all inferior and silly ?? I apologize if I have interpreted your statements incorrectly, but from all you've said, it seems to be your belief.

I still build Chrysler based engines. And others too. I just won't build one for you (or anyone else) who thinks it's acceptable to use junkyard parts and build geometrically retarded engines. I'm too old for that stupidity.
I will say it again, for clarity: You will never EVER compete in real (read heads up) competition when you have an engine based on less than 1.0 bore/stroke ratio. And 1.0 is the bare MINIMUM. It's just stupid. Using 40-50 year old blocks and heads (in these situations) is just IGNORANT.
When you can get 20 (or more) BBC "conventional" heads and even more for SBC when Chrysler and the aftermarket can barely scrape up 4-5. Stupid really, why anyone would ever consider a MoPar.
That being said, I'm going to build a stock block, stock stroke, stock rod, stock headed, solid lifter 425-450 HP SB Chrysler that will be a daily driver. I actually thought about posting a thread about the build with pics and flow numbers. But who would care?

Wow, I hope Monte reads this, or somebody send him a memo on this.....he was thinking he could be competitive with a 632 chevy, which is usually 4.6 bore x 4.75 stroke......You say it's "stupid" to build such a "geometrically retarded" engine.....

Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: ] #1673841
09/24/14 01:12 AM
09/24/14 01:12 AM
St. Paul , Mn.
tubtar Offline
master
tubtar  Offline
master

St. Paul , Mn.
I can't wait for the day we meet , 6 pack.
Can not wait.

Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: tubtar] #1673842
09/24/14 02:08 AM
09/24/14 02:08 AM
State of confusion
T
Thumperdart Offline
I Live Here
Thumperdart  Offline
I Live Here
T

State of confusion
Quote:

Can not wait.

Is this a "good" or "bad" meet...............

72 Dart 470 n/a BB stroker street car `THUMPER`...Check me out on FB Dominic Thumper for videos and lots of carb pics......760-900-3895.....
Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: Thumperdart] #1673843
09/24/14 08:17 AM
09/24/14 08:17 AM
Mo.
racerx Offline
master
racerx  Offline
master

Mo.
Quote:

Quote:

Can not wait.

Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: Thumperdart] #1673844
09/24/14 10:48 AM
09/24/14 10:48 AM
St. Paul , Mn.
tubtar Offline
master
tubtar  Offline
master

St. Paul , Mn.
Quote:

Quote:

Can not wait.

It's all good from my chair.
At a minimum , I can show him a real car.........and point out the error of his ways.
In reality , I just gave him another target for his pointless drivel.
But with the added bonus of relative proximity.
We will cross paths.
The community is too small not to.

Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: tubtar] #1673845
09/24/14 10:54 AM
09/24/14 10:54 AM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Can not wait.

At a minimum , I can show him a real car.........and point out the error of his ways.
We will cross paths.

You guys are wasting your time with him... he liked
bad mouthing me because I has some issues when I
built my Rampage.. but he has never built anything
so he wouldnt know what problems can occur.. but
yet he feels he has the right to bad mouth... he
isnt worth my time so thats why he is on IGNORE

Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1673846
09/24/14 12:22 PM
09/24/14 12:22 PM
The Wet Coast, Canada
megajoltman Offline
master
megajoltman  Offline
master

The Wet Coast, Canada
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Can not wait.

We will cross paths.

You guys are wasting your time with him... he liked
bad mouthing me because I has some issues when I
built my Rampage.. but he has never built anything
so he wouldnt know what problems can occur.. but
yet he feels he has the right to bad mouth... he
isnt worth my time so thats why he is on IGNORE

He's an @asshat, much better with him on ignore....

1969 Dart 383/727/D60

CTD Ram 4x4 Mega Cab

Procharged 350Z
Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: ] #1673847
09/24/14 12:34 PM
09/24/14 12:34 PM
Washington
M
madscientist Offline
master
madscientist  Offline
master
M

Washington
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Wow, I hope Monte reads this, or somebody send him a memo on this.....he was thinking he could be competitive with a 632 chevy, which is usually 4.6 bore x 4.75 stroke......You say it's "stupid" to build such a "geometrically retarded" engine.....

You must be stupid or something. I've never ever put anyone on ignore. Not on ST. Not even on TB. But you will be the first.

I have nothing personal against Monte, or anyone else so do try and twist what I say. Now, because I'm the nicest guy you've never met, I'll spell it out for you.

I don't care what name is on the valve cover. A bore to stroke ratio of less than 1.0 is not good. Look at every class of MoPar verses Chevy. Lets say a 340 vs. a 350. The Dodge has a better r/s ratio, taller decks, wider pan rail, cam is further from the crank and a better b/s ratio! Why do you think they run as well as they do with clearly deficient ports????? Because geometry matters. Look at the 400 vs. the 396. Or the 454 the most bassackwards stupid deal yet...goes to show if you throw enough money at it, you can fix a relatively high speed turtle...thanks Smokey....and yes, I know he said that about the SBC...all that junk is the same junk to me) vs. a 440. Everyone listed here shows the geometrically SUPERIOR design wins, hands down. On top of Chrysler using the best production cast iron of the "big 3".

So let me spell it out. If Monte disagrees with me, I'm ok with that. He has been there and done it. You haven't. You are just a mouth. But if it came down to competing and I had a choice, I would take some stroke out of it.. Now the sad facts, and what this post is really about.

The best you are going to do with a MoPar is a 4.560 bore. At 4.600 the chevy still has .040 on you and that .040 is big. AND, you can go to 4.7 and a little more with the chevy. Can't touch this with a MoPar. Sorry if you are butt hurt but truth is truth and facts hurt. They make meds for guy like you anyway.

Last but not least is Pro Stock. I could fix PS in one page, but all the cry babies would snivel and whine and we would have a shortage of whambulances, country wide. Have a look at PS geometry. Big bores, relatively long rods (rod ratios of 1.7 to 1.8 are common) and they are making dang near 3hp/CI. They must be stoopid er sumthin. They can build the geometrically any way they want.

So you have been proven wrong on multiple levels. Put the keyboard down. Leave your momma's basement and forget you ever heard of the interweb.

CLASS............DISMISSED.

Just because you think it won't make it true. Horsepower is KING. To dispute this is stupid. C. Alston
Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: madscientist] #1673848
09/24/14 01:19 PM
09/24/14 01:19 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You must be stupid or something. I've never ever put anyone on ignore. Not on ST. Not even on TB. But you will be the first.

I have nothing personal against Monte, or anyone else so do try and twist what I say. Now, because I'm the nicest guy you've never met, I'll spell it out for you.

I don't care what name is on the valve cover. A bore to stroke ratio of less than 1.0 is not good. Look at every class of MoPar verses Chevy. Lets say a 340 vs. a 350. The Dodge has a better r/s ratio, taller decks, wider pan rail, cam is further from the crank and a better b/s ratio! Why do you think they run as well as they do with clearly deficient ports????? Because geometry matters. Look at the 400 vs. the 396. Or the 454 the most bassackwards stupid deal yet...goes to show if you throw enough money at it, you can fix a relatively high speed turtle...thanks Smokey....and yes, I know he said that about the SBC...all that junk is the same junk to me) vs. a 440. Everyone listed here shows the geometrically SUPERIOR design wins, hands down. On top of Chrysler using the best production cast iron of the "big 3".

So let me spell it out. If Monte disagrees with me, I'm ok with that. He has been there and done it. You haven't. You are just a mouth. But if it came down to competing and I had a choice, I would take some stroke out of it.. Now the sad facts, and what this post is really about.

The best you are going to do with a MoPar is a 4.560 bore. At 4.600 the chevy still has .040 on you and that .040 is big. AND, you can go to 4.7 and a little more with the chevy. Can't touch this with a MoPar. Sorry if you are butt hurt but truth is truth and facts hurt. They make meds for guy like you anyway.

Last but not least is Pro Stock. I could fix PS in one page, but all the cry babies would snivel and whine and we would have a shortage of whambulances, country wide. Have a look at PS geometry. Big bores, relatively long rods (rod ratios of 1.7 to 1.8 are common) and they are making dang near 3hp/CI. They must be stoopid er sumthin. They can build the geometrically any way they want.

So you have been proven wrong on multiple levels. Put the keyboard down. Leave your momma's basement and forget you ever heard of the interweb.

CLASS............DISMISSED.

I have been proven wrong ??? LOL

You claim: "You will never EVER compete in real (read heads up) competition when you have an engine based on less than 1.0 bore/stroke ratio. And 1.0 is the bare MINIMUM. It's just stupid."......I did not change or twist anything....just wondering what others think about that....

Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: Mopar-Al] #1673849
09/24/14 01:54 PM
09/24/14 01:54 PM
Sweet Home Alabama
M
MRMOPAR622 Offline
top fuel
MRMOPAR622  Offline
top fuel
M

Sweet Home Alabama
Quote:

Wow 6pk thanks for chiming in on all the questions you were asked straight up out front. You seem to enjoy just taking little bits of this post here n there to try to belittle some on here. I say so what. Who cares. Eventually there may be someone in the Mopar interest, that has the money to build produce something for the Mopar top runners. Most here on the site as a majority are handicapped racers. They race themselves to run a number. Some here run a class set number. Me myself, I have no money, and don't know nothing or anything about what it takes to build and race cars. I do know that when I get to go to the races, I get to see a sport that has been slowly dying, stands empty and a bunch of local dedicated people just having fun by running what they brung to win a little money on a saturday night or just get out with the guys and enjoy the sport. The ones that are posting on this topic, do have the money to buy what they want , it's just not there yet. ok So be it. What I just can't understand is who died and made you king biatch around here to just keep irritation going? The upper level racers will eventually get something handed down to them in the meantime, the rest are happy to have what we have to enjoy what drag racing was all about. Sooner or later there will be a cap and from what I see , most are going back to handicap racing anyways and enjoying the sport for what it used to be, having fun. The key to racing around here with what we have in any brand name is trying to get a win light with 2 time trials and going rounds to the end with your dial in on a window.

You just seem to be too irritating to post up on this board. It wasn't created to start trying to belittle anyone, it was to share our adventures and acomplishments on what we have to work with. Im not trying to bash you or anyone else, far from it. I enjoy a sport, and like to read what others have been doing with their projects on their budjets. Being the fastest and quickest isnt all that it's cracked up to be. Eventually you turn into a slave instead of loving what you like to do. If had enough money to build whatever I wanted, I would still be bracket racing. It's relaxing and brings out family n fun for the weekend.

Now MoparAl are you saying some of these people who live up North out West or other parts of the World are Red-Necks????

PS do you want to tell the non-Red-Necks on here what Monte was talking about when he said one of them Red-Necks had a Hard On for him or should I? That might not be Moparts Legal,so for the ones who do not know/understand Rent the movie Deliverance and watch it tonight!

Last edited by MRMOPAR622; 09/24/14 02:18 PM.

Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: ] #1673850
09/24/14 02:00 PM
09/24/14 02:00 PM
Salt Lake City
C
camastomcat Offline OP
top fuel
camastomcat  Offline OP
top fuel
C

Salt Lake City
ou claim: "You will never EVER compete in real (read heads up) competition when you have an engine based on less than 1.0 bore/stroke ratio. And 1.0 is the bare MINIMUM. It's just stupid."......I did not change or twist anything....just wondering what others think about that....

I will be the first to admit, when Monte and Tim (mad scientist) speak, I shut my pie hole and try to learn something. There are others here who's opinion I respect, as well, but the list is getting shorter when they get chased off. Tim has done some sweet port work for me, and I used to work and hang at the shop he worked at. No one that knew him ever doubted his knowledge, talent or experience. So he is lightyears beyond where I will ever be, as now I just run what people like him research and develop. The same goes for Marsh, Monte, Best, Sunset Racecraft, Huntsville, ETC.
That's what this post is about. When people of this caliber take the time to impart their hard earned knowledge, it's best to just STFU and listen. You might even learn something.

Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: camastomcat] #1673851
09/24/14 02:08 PM
09/24/14 02:08 PM
Salt Lake City
C
camastomcat Offline OP
top fuel
camastomcat  Offline OP
top fuel
C

Salt Lake City
Oh....I forgot....the nice guy thing is a stretch though.

Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: MRMOPAR622] #1673852
09/24/14 02:11 PM
09/24/14 02:11 PM
Sweet Home Alabama
M
MRMOPAR622 Offline
top fuel
MRMOPAR622  Offline
top fuel
M

Sweet Home Alabama
I left an above post of mine some what unfinished.I was Shocked at how all the Mopart people were at each others throat like a Bunch of Red-Necks on here instead of trying to help each other,but did not mean that as a Bad Thing.In Fact I don't just like it it I Love it.I went to T-Mobile yesterday and traded in my old out dated phone that would only talk for one of the new latest greatest phones.It will do anything you can think of you can not only talk on it but listen to Rock&Roll music,text(what ever the hell that is)check the weather but best of all get on the internet any where at the Race Track if we/Band or playing at a Club even at Wal-Mart's.
Now I sure most of you are now wondering whats so great about that right??? I'll tell you because the next time I am at one of those places and I hear some SOB say the South is the only place in the World that has Red-Necks,I'm gonna keep this site this post on speed dial and I'm gonna pull it up and stick right in there face and say or you "SURE BOUT THAT" there is RED-NECKS on here from all over the World! Now don't take offense to any that because I likes all of you Red-Necks,because to be Honest with everyone if you can be a Sharp Dressed Man,not have Green Teeth,live in a nice Home,drive fine Automobiles and still be a Red-Neck then I might just be one to.

Last edited by MRMOPAR622; 09/24/14 02:13 PM.

Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: MRMOPAR622] #1673853
09/24/14 02:41 PM
09/24/14 02:41 PM
CT
GTX MATT Offline
master
GTX MATT  Offline
master

CT
Quote:

if you can be a Sharp Dressed Man,not have Green Teeth,live in a nice Home,drive fine Automobiles and still be a Red-Neck then I might just be one to.

Yup, theres lots of them like that

Now I need to pin those needles, got to feel that heat
Hear my motor screamin while I'm tearin up the street
Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: madscientist] #1673854
09/24/14 02:46 PM
09/24/14 02:46 PM
Kalispell Mt.
H
HotRodDave Offline
I Live Here
HotRodDave  Offline
I Live Here
H

Kalispell Mt.
I have said it once and will say it again, biggest bore , then stroke it to the biggest diaplacment. NASCAR does it this way, IRL, Formula 1 they all do it this way. You don't see ANY NASCAR builders running a shorter stroke to get more out of it. They run the biggest bore the rules allow then stroke it to the maximum displacement allowed. When you are trying to squeeze every last HP and foot pound of TQ possible then that is how it is done end of story. I am not talking bracket engine builders or street builders (they should do the same as far as there budget or rules allows) but the guys being paid millions to get 5 more hp do it that way. If NASCAR said you could run a 4 inch stroke with the current bore (4.185)you would see them ALL running 4 inch stroke in a couple weeks, same with 4.5 stroke, bore to stroke ratio be danged they would run as big as possible. If Formula 1 said they could run a 2 inch stroke with the current bore they would all do it and very quickly, you would be shocked how fast they would get it done, they would trade some rod length for stroke also if that was needed.

I am not causing global warming, I am just trying to hold off a impending Ice Age!

Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: HotRodDave] #1673855
09/24/14 03:10 PM
09/24/14 03:10 PM
Washington
M
madscientist Offline
master
madscientist  Offline
master
M

Washington
Quote:

I have said it once and will say it again, biggest bore , then stroke it to the biggest diaplacment. NASCAR does it this way, IRL, Formula 1 they all do it this way. You don't see ANY NASCAR builders running a shorter stroke to get more out of it. They run the biggest bore the rules allow then stroke it to the maximum displacement allowed. When you are trying to squeeze every last HP and foot pound of TQ possible then that is how it is done end of story. I am not talking bracket engine builders or street builders (they should do the same as far as there budget or rules allows) but the guys being paid millions to get 5 more hp do it that way. If NASCAR said you could run a 4 inch stroke with the current bore (4.185)you would see them ALL running 4 inch stroke in a couple weeks, same with 4.5 stroke, bore to stroke ratio be danged they would run as big as possible. If Formula 1 said they could run a 2 inch stroke with the current bore they would all do it and very quickly, you would be shocked how fast they would get it done, they would trade some rod length for stroke also if that was needed.

The problem I have is with your example, not your answer.

There is almost never (I say almost because I admit, I don't know everything) a sanctioning body that stipulates engine geometry the way you have stated it. That is why I used Pro Stock as my example. The have a minimum weight, maximum displacement, 2x4's and gasoline. There are some newer, idiotic rules (like the 1090 minimum rule) but for the most part, that is Pro Stock. There is more than 1 way to get to 500 CID but the PS guys use the biggest bore and stroke for final displacement just as you said. But there is no minimum bore, max bore or stroke specs. In Top Fuel, they are 500 CID , but the bores (as far as I have seen) is a rather mundane 4.375 and is stroked to get displacement.

I do know in NASCRAP they don't have a minimum stroke, so they GENERALLY use the biggest bore (allowing for some overbore capabilities) and stroke for displacement.

As for the long debated R/S ratio thing. It gets old repeating but I will try one more time. When you are induction limited (and all the 4 V/cyl guys claim 2 V/cyl heads are intake limited) much more thought and care should be given to R/S ratios. Just the frictional losses dues to stroke length ( lets not forget about windage losses...in the 1960's Chrysler engineers KNEW that a hemi turing 8000 rpm's would hold 8 quarts of oil around the crank...with a 3.75 stroke!!!!) eats up a big percentage of what gains there are from increased strokes and high rod ratios (lower numerically). Induction limited packages should spend more time thinking about R/S ratios and less about torque under minimum calculated RPM (or observed). Just my humble opinion.

Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: camastomcat] #1673856
09/24/14 03:23 PM
09/24/14 03:23 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

ou claim: "You will never EVER compete in real (read heads up) competition when you have an engine based on less than 1.0 bore/stroke ratio. And 1.0 is the bare MINIMUM. It's just stupid."......I did not change or twist anything....just wondering what others think about that....

I will be the first to admit, when Monte and Tim (mad scientist) speak, I shut my pie hole and try to learn something. There are others here who's opinion I respect, as well, but the list is getting shorter when they get chased off. Tim has done some sweet port work for me, and I used to work and hang at the shop he worked at. No one that knew him ever doubted his knowledge, talent or experience. So he is lightyears beyond where I will ever be, as now I just run what people like him research and develop. The same goes for Marsh, Monte, Best, Sunset Racecraft, Huntsville, ETC.
That's what this post is about. When people of this caliber take the time to impart their hard earned knowledge, it's best to just STFU and listen. You might even learn something.

Well, if you respect and listen to him sooooo much,....
why did you build what HE would call, a "stupid" and "geometrically retarded" engine....and you are in search of another Mopar block...and you want to build a 4.7 bore x 5.5 minimum stroke engine that he would really classify as "stupid" and "geometrically retarded".....??

Tim and Monte appear to be at opposite ends on their engine beliefs.....Monte says he can and has won in heads up races with what Tim describes as "stupid" and "geometrically retarded" engines...that will Never EVER win....

It's understandably puzzling....

Page 10 of 14 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14