09/22/14 02:36 PM
09/22/14 02:36 PM
P
Porter67 Offline
master
Porter67  Offline
master
P

As far as costs go, many overlook that no matter what you run weather mopar/ford/chevy that slicks/rims/carbs/fogger kits/cooling system/danas/gear sets/oils/fuels/nitrous fills and it goes on and on.

Many parts are used by all, the parts don't know the difference but cost the same.

PLEASE one of you older rich baby boomers cut your kids out of the will and donate the R@D money and the cost of a first run or so to do a proper block.

Hell name the block after your family name and let that be your legacy that many would never forget.

Only in a perfect world.

Glad to see the bickering stop it was a all nighter when Id check on my work breaks and really Mr. Smith, although I do not know you, many don't like to hear the truth. From what ive heard and read over the years on many sites and people who know you, your clearly well in the loop of the reality of this type of motorsport and although no one knows it all you seem to be doing well. Some just cant get that paper bag off there head and some would do better with a tight plastic bag and duct tape.

Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: B G Racing] #1673818
09/22/14 02:41 PM
09/22/14 02:41 PM
Washington
M
madscientist Offline
master
madscientist  Offline
master
M

Washington
Quote:

Quote:

While there is some great info here ....the personal stuff has to end......now...next guy gets the cooler

Cooler? Like a wine cooler?We have enough whinning so lets get some cheese and crackers to go with all the wine-ing. But seriously this type of dialoge here and throughout the race community is what is killing our sport.Choise of words and how the are presented should be respectful if you want people to share their ideas,knowledge and be helpful.There is alot of things that can be accomplished if we all approach it in a professional and respectful manner.
We at BGR have been trying to work with manufactures to help build better product products.Companys Like Indy,HHP,Ritter.440 Source,Edelbrock,Koffels and others are doing a lot to develope more Mopar performance hard parts.The process is long,hard and expensive.But all the negative feedback and bashing these companys get may tend to make them not want to make a commitment of their resources especially the great monatary investment.They have a hard enough time getting raw materials like casting and forgings from the limited foundarys that provide them.Tooling is also a large concern as current machining is getting worn and new tooling is in the outer atmosphere as far as cost.
Bitching and bickering will benifit no one,commitment,ideas and knowledge needs to be constructively and professionally presented to the companys along with a marketing stragity that will get them interested.If everyone here would present their ideas,either collectively or representivly at venues like the PRI shows manufactures may take us serious and listen.
We must support our sport or we will left with memories of better days.

I have been beating this drum for more than the last two decades. And that is one of the issues I have. If this process was started 25 years ago, where would we be now? But, as stated many times above, the AVERAGE MoPar (who makes up 99% of us) is damn happy with a 451 and -1 heads. That crap is 1960' tech with raised ports. PERIOD. I know if I call and want to buy blank Predator castings I will never get them. They want to sell finished parts. But, if I call Brodix or AFR or, or, or whoever I can get blank castings for a chevy. Then , I can put the valves where I want them, the ports where I want them and everything else.
When you are trying to make a show, or run heads up, you can't run 40+ year old crap and compete. Won't happen. Takes forever to get parts. Some parts you have to have made and most people won't do it. I don't blame them.
If you accept junk, cobble it along and think you are fast, you are a bracket racer. I have mellowed in my age, but I ain't dead yet. All the above suppliers (from my experience) don't do enough to educate racers. Main girdles, aftermarket main caps, block filler and the like will NOT make a passenger car block into a race block.
I'm rambling here but one more thing. The men who developed the G2 hemi were HAND SCRAPING the cores to get metal where it needed to be. The y never designed a main girdle to make it right. Straight poop there. Speaking truth to bracket racers.

Just because you think it won't make it true. Horsepower is KING. To dispute this is stupid. C. Alston
Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: ] #1673819
09/22/14 02:44 PM
09/22/14 02:44 PM
Washington
M
madscientist Offline
master
madscientist  Offline
master
M

Washington
Quote:

Quote:

And yes, I do define racers and hobbyists in "groups" and I doubt anyone but YOU has an issue with that. I would say bracket racers are a "group". Class racers are a "group". Heads up racers would be a "group". Resto guys would be a "group" and so on..........so exactly what is your issue with that. And believe it or not, some of us might be a part of MULTIPLE groups..........oh the horror of it. "Cats and Dogs" living together, oh its total anarchy...........LOL!!!

I considered putting you on ignore, just as Mr P and I am sure MANY others have, but you are just too much fun. The more you post, the more.........well, you know, or at least the rest of us do..........LOL!!!

Monte

You can't recall what you say from one post to the next...LOL...a month ago you said you hadn't raced in 15+ years because of life, kids, divorce, new houses, etc......now it's soley because you chose the wrong engine combo.....okkkk....and all these megablocks you have bought, you never mentioned before, have never mentioned having any other race car besides your GTX....

YOU have made it clear previously that you wouldn't waste your time/money on a Predator, or any 4.8 bs engine....Now you are claiming to ???? Try and stick to ONE story please.....

The last time that I know of that you entered a race, you whacked the throttle in reverse and backed into a guy in the staging lanes....

I have no problem with whatever engine you put in your GTX....never have....I am more interested in the cars like Gary Robbins has, very very impressive to me, and he probably talks the least, and just gits-r-dun...

My only issue with you, is your constantly belittling Mopar guys as cheap dinosaurs, for not buying the same parts you claim aren't good enough for you !! I find that ironic and hypocritical...

This whole post is because a few Mopar guys talked about how nice it would be to have blocks available priced similar to chevy blocks....and the bashing began....

Most of your posts are very interesting, straight to the point, make perfect sense.....

I said this, not Monty. If you think main girdles and off the shelf cams are for you, I would not build you anything. It's that simple.

Just because you think it won't make it true. Horsepower is KING. To dispute this is stupid. C. Alston
Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: Monte_Smith] #1673820
09/22/14 03:08 PM
09/22/14 03:08 PM
maryland
74yellowduster Offline
74yellowduster  Offline

maryland
my take on the original post...

what i see a lot of is newbies asking for help building X kind of build. when you suggest to them to go talk to a machine shop they run like hell.

most of what i ever learned was from going down to the machine shop and yacking. book knowledge is only gonna get you so far.

i'm not sure if they are afraid of machine shops, or if they think they are rip off artists or something. it would actually be kinda hard to steal someones money and then skip town with a lathe, presses, balancing machine etc in the back of a pickup truck lol.

they are great people i have never got ripped off by one. they know their stuff. maybe i just been lucky.

anyhow /endofmyopinion

Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: Thumperdart] #1673821
09/22/14 03:13 PM
CT
GTX MATT Offline
master
GTX MATT  Offline
master

CT
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Well all I can add is WOW...It is no wonder we get what we get.

You guys make me want to sell my Plymouth and buy a Chevelle.

I'm no racer, I like fast street/strip cars with full interiors. I like everything but I went Mopar because I thought the RB engine makes really good power for the money and are durable, but I'm only looking for around 600 hp max out of a street engine.

Don`t do it. Stay Mopar and 600 hp in a 440 street car is very doable...................

Making about 525 now, should be closer in the future with different heads or porting. These guys make me feel slow though I guess because I am but its easy to forget on the street

Last edited by GTX MATT; 09/22/14 03:14 PM.

Now I need to pin those needles, got to feel that heat
Hear my motor screamin while I'm tearin up the street
Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: madscientist] #1673822
P
Porter67 Offline
master
Porter67  Offline
master
P

There is a application where a main girdle made the difference of spitting the crank out or keeping the bottom end together.

In the late 80-s we were spitting the crank and rods out the bottom of a 466 JD inline 6 with two large turbos in series with a hidden 150 shot.

We ended up taking a 1 inch slab of al. and indexed it off the pan rail bolts so every main cap was tied together and then tied into the side rails of the block.

We had the pistons and valves coated with the same plasma coating used on the space shuttle at that time at 8k for the coatings but in the end we stopped spitting out the bottom end and stopped melting pistons.

Later we ended up machining an al. overhead cam head, and we cut the cores as sent them to crane to grind the lobes for us.

The head was one piece and the supports for the camshaft were separate but pinned and held in place by opposing head bolts.

That tractor got banned by the ntpa as they couldn't keep changing the rule book to keep up and we sold it to a team in Europe.

Anyway in that situation it did help.

Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: ] #1673823
09/22/14 03:54 PM
09/22/14 03:54 PM
Las Vegas NV
moparmanjames Offline
pro stock
moparmanjames  Offline
pro stock

Las Vegas NV
Quote:

I have built Mopar engines every day for over 25 years--that means a lot of them. Some wonders --that won championships and some turds that well...were just that but...98% were just fine , however
I am always surprised when one I built 7 years ago-- finally gives up at the race track- and I get a call --'what am I going to do about it?"
then..a dear friend that has built engines for over 40 years says to me
If they can't afford to blow one up every now and then NO matter who or what was at fault --then...this ain't the hobby for them.
It is tougher every day that passes to justify doing more--with parts quality what it is and budgets way less than it really takes to cover all the bases
When I really think it over --I know we were better off sticking a 509 cam in a junk yard 440 stuffing that into a $700 Duster and having FUN.
Way better than where we are now with a $15K build being pretty normal.
I sinned and built myself a 350 small block Chevy for my Nostalgia dragster--a nice 200 inch old school looking fun machine--well after doing all that "sinning" without doing all that much spending I can say that it is the best bang for the buck since those .509 in a old 440 days
Bash if you must --I do not care but I am racing--going fast as I need to--and doing it on the cheap which...

Makes it FUN AGAIN!!! and if it blows all to pieces --well..it was just a friggin SBC--who gives a damn.

Exactly.

Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: moparmanjames] #1673824
09/22/14 04:06 PM
09/22/14 04:06 PM
CT
GTX MATT Offline
master
GTX MATT  Offline
master

CT
Quote:

Quote:

I have built Mopar engines every day for over 25 years--that means a lot of them. Some wonders --that won championships and some turds that well...were just that but...98% were just fine , however
I am always surprised when one I built 7 years ago-- finally gives up at the race track- and I get a call --'what am I going to do about it?"
If they can't afford to blow one up every now and then NO matter who or what was at fault --then...this ain't the hobby for them.
It is tougher every day that passes to justify doing more--with parts quality what it is and budgets way less than it really takes to cover all the bases
When I really think it over --I know we were better off sticking a 509 cam in a junk yard 440 stuffing that into a $700 Duster and having FUN.
I sinned and built myself a 350 small block Chevy for my Nostalgia dragster--a nice 200 inch old school looking fun machine--well after doing all that "sinning" without doing all that much spending I can say that it is the best bang for the buck since those .509 in a old 440 days
Bash if you must --I do not care but I am racing--going fast as I need to--and doing it on the cheap which...

Makes it FUN AGAIN!!! and if it blows all to pieces --well..it was just a friggin SBC--who gives a damn.

Exactly.

Didn't see this but I agree. Again I'm not a racer, but 509 cammed junk yard engines are what got me into Mopars. Unfortunately I was born about 20 years too late for that. When I rebuilt my engine I thought it'd be great to have a fresh engine exactly the way I wanted it, and once it was done and I figured what I have into it (not including time), I probably could be almost as fast if I just re-rung and bearinged the engine and shoved some more cheap 70s tech into it with a 509 cam and let it burn some oil. And my car would be painted.

Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: GTX MATT] #1673825
09/22/14 04:21 PM
09/22/14 04:21 PM
Washington
M
madscientist Offline
master
madscientist  Offline
master
M

Washington
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Exactly.

Didn't see this but I agree. Again I'm not a racer, but 509 cammed junk yard engines are what got me into Mopars. Unfortunately I was born about 20 years too late for that. When I rebuilt my engine I thought it'd be great to have a fresh engine exactly the way I wanted it, and once it was done and I figured what I have into it (not including time), I probably could be almost as fast if I just re-rung and bearinged the engine and shoved some more cheap 70s tech into it with a 509 cam and let it burn some oil. And my car would be painted.

So you guys are missing the OP's original point. If a 509 cam and a junkyard 440 flips your beenie then good on you. I sold my car in 2007 and don't miss it a single bit. I now have a mid 12 second daily driver that I will put into the mid 11's over the winter and I will do it on passenger car heads. But I will use a custom SFT cam. I could go HRT but that is so common now that it bores me. 340 CID. I could make it faster but I don't want to have a roll bar.

So again, if you are happy running junkyard garbage and it's fun to YOU, good on ya. But there should be some backlash from all of us about the horrible RACE parts deficiency and piss poor race support that we get from MoPar and the aftermarket.

Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: madscientist] #1673826
09/22/14 04:25 PM
09/22/14 04:25 PM
Pittsburgh PA
Eric Offline
top fuel
Eric  Offline
top fuel

Pittsburgh PA
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Exactly.

So you guys are missing the OP's original point. If a 509 cam and a junkyard 440 flips your beenie then good on you. I sold my car in 2007 and don't miss it a single bit. I now have a mid 12 second daily driver that I will put into the mid 11's over the winter and I will do it on passenger car heads. But I will use a custom SFT cam. I could go HRT but that is so common now that it bores me. 340 CID. I could make it faster but I don't want to have a roll bar.

So again, if you are happy running junkyard garbage and it's fun to YOU, good on ya. But there should be some backlash from all of us about the horrible RACE parts deficiency and piss poor race support that we get from MoPar and the aftermarket.

My Duster ran 10.60's with a .509 on kerosine (9.5-1)

5.53 @ 125 1/8th on the launch control..more left in her!

Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: Eric] #1673827
09/22/14 04:54 PM
09/22/14 04:54 PM
PA.
pittsburghracer Offline
"Little"John
pittsburghracer  Offline
"Little"John

PA.
Ya and my small block Duster went 10.05@129mph on BP panther piss and a 520 lift Racer Brown cam. You can't get anymore 70's than that.

1970 Duster
Edelbrock headed 408
5.984@112.52
422 Indy headed small block
5.982@112.56 mph
9.42@138.27

Livin and lovin life one day at a time

Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: pittsburghracer] #1673828
09/22/14 05:01 PM
09/22/14 05:01 PM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
I prolly won't read this entire thread.

Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: madscientist] #1673829
09/22/14 05:11 PM
09/22/14 05:11 PM
CT
GTX MATT Offline
master
GTX MATT  Offline
master

CT
Quote:

Oh I got the point, I'm just justifying the other points that most people aren't looking to make 1000+ horsepower.

And MoPars support does suck, and its not going to change. Ever. They don't care about us, for the same reason that no one else does, there's no money in it!

Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: pittsburghracer] #1673830
09/22/14 05:17 PM
09/22/14 05:17 PM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
Quote:

Ya and my small block Duster went [Email]10.05@129mph[/Email] on BP panther piss and a 520 lift Racer Brown cam. You can't get anymore 70's than that.

Panther piss is what we got now,in the 70s we had Dinasaur poop watered down,it was call Sonoco.Now that's fossil fuel.
John,your twin Max said to tell you things have been "ruff" since I got back from Norwalk and told him his twin brother was still alive. Hows the pussy Hemi doing?

Last edited by B G Racing; 09/22/14 05:18 PM.
Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: SomeCarGuy] #1673831
09/22/14 05:35 PM
09/22/14 05:35 PM
Park Forest, IL
slantzilla Offline
Too Many Posts
slantzilla  Offline
Too Many Posts

Park Forest, IL
Quote:

You are a very wise man.

"Everybody funny, now you funny too."
Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: slantzilla] #1673832
09/22/14 05:41 PM
09/22/14 05:41 PM
CheddarHead till October
weedlayer Offline
master
weedlayer  Offline
master

CheddarHead till October
Quote:

Quote:

You are a very wise man.

I prolly wish I hadn't followed it from the stert, but you know what they say about train wrecks, just gotta keep looking. Where's the smiley with a gun to my head?

Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: camastomcat] #1673833
09/22/14 05:45 PM
09/22/14 05:45 PM
Charleston
S
sixpackgut Offline
Drag Week Mod Champion
sixpackgut  Offline
Drag Week Mod Champion
S

Charleston
Quote:

Quote:

While there is some great info here ....the personal stuff has to end......now...next guy gets the cooler

I agree, this wasn't my intention. How about going a different direction and getting into the technical aspect of combos 950HP and up? I would like to hear what guys like Monte, Best, Koffel, Bob G., Marsh and others are working on, and keep the BS to a minimum. I'm looking for generalities, as I know a lot of you have competition that would like to know specifics. I don't even care if it's Mopar or not......if that's allowed? It's more about where to finding information and parts.

950hp? a junk yard 4.8 and ebay turbo. $2k

Gen 3 power 6.22@110, 9.85@135
Follow @g3hemiswap on instagram

performance only racing, CRT, ultimate converter, superior design concepts, ThumperCarbs
Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: madscientist] #1673834
09/22/14 05:52 PM
09/22/14 05:52 PM
Las Vegas NV
moparmanjames Offline
pro stock
moparmanjames  Offline
pro stock

Las Vegas NV
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Exactly.

Not really missing the point, just stating that when you get into that game of going faster and faster, it gets more expensive and un-fun when you start breaking parts.
The point is even the best parts fail from time to time in racing, and Mopar has been at a disadvantage with parts ever since the 80's so it's pretty much beating a dead horse.
The only exception where Mopar is king is at the very top of the Drag racing heap, the top fuel Hemis, and who's got the money and time for that?
Now granted, I'm going to build a blown aluminum block Hemi one day, but it will take a few years and it will be all used parts! lol

Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: moparmanjames] #1673835
09/22/14 07:32 PM
09/22/14 07:32 PM
st.cloud fl
D
d-150 Offline
Smarter than a 5th grader?
d-150  Offline
Smarter than a 5th grader?
D

st.cloud fl
last 2 440s i built had 2 go .60 over luckily sonic checked out.us cheap racers are running out of factory blocks so would a capable 440 block at 1000hp na be a good start at chevy pricepoint

Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: madscientist] #1673836
09/23/14 12:55 PM
09/23/14 12:55 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

My only issue with you, is your constantly belittling Mopar guys as cheap dinosaurs, for not buying the same parts you claim aren't good enough for you !! I find that ironic and hypocritical...

This whole post is because a few Mopar guys talked about how nice it would be to have blocks available priced similar to chevy blocks....and the bashing began....

Most of your posts are very interesting, straight to the point, make perfect sense.....

I said this, not Monty. If you think main girdles and off the shelf cams are for you, I would not build you anything. It's that simple.

Monty has said this and insinuated it many times, but now appears to be backtracking on it, cool....

I wouldn't have you build me anything, it's that simple, so we are good....

Just curious, would you build ANY Mopar engine, since you seem to feel they are all inferior and silly ?? I apologize if I have interpreted your statements incorrectly, but from all you've said, it seems to be your belief.

Page 9 of 14 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 13 14