camastomcat  Offline OP
top fuel
C

Salt Lake City
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Just wondering, what is the bore spacing on the pro stock hemi head? If someone was to make a tall deck block that would fit that head, would it be a viable option? As i see it, any way you slice it, it will "look" like a chevy engine regardless of what block gets put under the head.

If the pro stock hemi head would serve as a foundation for a big inch mopar engine, lets all get together and have someone start making blocks to fill the void.

I think the guy's name is Goodwin, and they make a billet block for a 5" bore spacing engine, which is what the Mopar pro stock program is built around. Diablo has what I believe is a 655" deal for sled pulling. I want to say it makes around 1350-1400, and the price tag is north of $75,000. He might chime in and correct me, but he will know. Al Alguire also ran 500 CI tamed hemi 99 deal in the 10.5" tire class, he can tell you about that.
That's the point. Al, Boat Racer 572, Steve Gill and I are now working with the predator combos. Boat Racer and Steve Gill, are the only ones I know, and I'm sure there are others although rare, doing it successfully. Indy is useless for information. I have in excess of $1000 just on head gaskets because as I said, Indy is useless with any information/help. If I didn't have help from the other names mentioned here and some I didn't, I might as well be doing this by scratch.
This is where my frustration comes from. Fact, I could have ordered a 665 12 degree GM style race application motor for around $40-45,000 with a dry sump making an easy 1400 + HP. If I needed help, I know at least ten people that have more information and knowledge than Indy, and are ready to help. And if I had my money back, that's what I would do. I've been a Mopar loyalist for over 40 years, but eventually enough is enough. So if or when I decide to sell this stuff and go the easy route, someone will get a sweet deal on this stuff and all the info they want.

Just to chime in Quickly, We have Ran a good chunk of engines over the past 7-8 years and our last two have come From Goodwin. We have done the refreshes to the engines but they were originally built by Goodwin. Both have been 5" Bore space 650ci engines. The first one used IHRA 5" Hemi heads which were blanks that Goodwin worked with. Goodwin used a cast Donovan 5" block for that engine. There are a few of the cast headed cast block Goodwin engines out there. Ours made mid 1400hp. I sold that to a Drag racer around Chicago. This season we Ran Goodwins 5" Billet engine. He developed the head and block but the main design idea was from the 99 head. They look and are a lot different then a Sonny or Schmidt Hemi head. Both head and block are Billet CNC'ed in house. Top notch engine and its been awhile since we had 100% faith in the engine each run. Could not say that back when we were running the B1-TS engines. The new Billet engines are over 1600hp now.

Wish he had a Wedge head program...........but at that level, being 5.0 spacing and essentially using Chevy pattern blocks.........I guess it would serve no purpose. Wonder if he would be interested in developing a "nitrous friendly" chamber design for his heads. Since they are essentially a "twisted wedge" with a plug in the center, it would likely work, but would take a bit of development to work on a 4.700 bore or so.

What bore are your motors??

Monte

Hi Monte,
He does have a wedge head program actually. Came out with it last year. It makes a little less power then the Hemi program but it was about 10k less then the hemi also. To my knowledge he only sold a few because most would just find the extra dime to jump to the hemi. For Nitros chambers I would just give him a call. I wouldn't be surprised if he already had something. I also know the same 5" design stuff he has can be made on the 5.3 Bore spacing. He just mentioned to me when someone has the $$ they will build it.

The bores were both around 4.780-4.786 on my two engines.

Man Diablo, that's some nice stuff! Is that Brad Penn oil I see?

Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: ] #1673798
09/22/14 11:38 AM
09/22/14 11:38 AM
Pittsburgh PA
Eric Offline
top fuel
Eric  Offline
top fuel

Pittsburgh PA
I fail to see how any of this bickering is helping me to get a aluminum block for 3k...

5.53 @ 125 1/8th on the launch control..more left in her!

Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: Eric] #1673799
09/22/14 11:45 AM
09/22/14 11:45 AM
Salt Lake City
C
camastomcat Offline OP
top fuel
camastomcat  Offline OP
top fuel
C

Salt Lake City
Quote:

I fail to see how any of this bickering is helping me to get a aluminum block for 3k...

That haven't delivered that yet? They must not be cooling, but they're in the mail soon.

Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: Eric] #1673800
09/22/14 01:01 PM
09/22/14 01:01 PM
Park Forest, IL
slantzilla Offline
Too Many Posts
slantzilla  Offline
Too Many Posts

Park Forest, IL
Quote:

Not sure why you're having trouble, I already got mine and it's a 5" BS.

"Everybody funny, now you funny too."
Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: slantzilla] #1673801
09/22/14 01:13 PM
09/22/14 01:13 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

Quote:

Not sure why you're having trouble, I already got mine and it's a 5" BS.

Mine was being delivered ... the 3K wasnt any problem
for the alum block BUT the $2500 for shipping was
a bit much...... LOL

Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: ] #1673802
09/22/14 01:26 PM
09/22/14 01:26 PM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
Quote:

Quote:

And I NEVER said the current parts were not good enough for me.......WHAT I SAID WAS there are no current parts available for what I would like to build for my GTX............but feel free to spin that to make it sound however you like.

Monte

Just to cut through all the other stuff...

I don't know how to take that except as, combined with your other comments, that you feel the cheap ass 906 head, purple shaft cam lovin' Mopar guys should be buying up the parts you wouldn't use on your GTX, so it will spur manufacturers to make better, updated parts that you will consider using ??

If I am wrong, please clarify, ty

My explanation was quite clear to everyone but you............and like I said, I knew you would try and spin it to make your distorted point look somewhat relevant...........but as usual, you failed.

BUT, one more time just for giggles. WHAT I WANT FOR MY GTX is a 4.840 or 5.0 based Mopar Wedge motor that offers me the same opportunity to make HP as the current crop of GM based heads. Now, like I asked you before in another thread, please direct me to the company that makes those parts.

And LIKE I SAID again and again. I NEVER said there were no parts good enough for ME. YOU said that. I OWN old school, stock block, 906 headed motors and have built them for others. When those parts will give me the required results, I use them and NEVER said I didn't. Again YOU spun that ridiculous assumption out of comments I made about what I wanted for a MAX PERFORMANCE motor for my GTX. I already told you that I had SEVERAL vehicles other than my GTX. You never asked me what was in them and I never said, because it really wasn't any of your damn business.

But for clarification, I have a Lil Red truck, my Challenger, a 63 Dodge Maxi car, a 41 Dodge pickup with an old school 440-6 motor in it and a 54 Dodge shop truck with a beater 318 in it. All those have warmed over stock block, stock crank motors and all have stock heads other than the motor in my Challenger. And guess what.....ALL the vehicles listed above have Mopar trans and rears..........oh noooo.............LOL!!!

So ONE more time...........what YOU got and what have YOU done

Monte

Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: Monte_Smith] #1673803
09/22/14 01:32 PM
09/22/14 01:32 PM
Pittsburgh PA
Eric Offline
top fuel
Eric  Offline
top fuel

Pittsburgh PA
While there is some great info here ....the personal stuff has to end......now...next guy gets the cooler

5.53 @ 125 1/8th on the launch control..more left in her!

Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: Eric] #1673804
09/22/14 01:40 PM
Salt Lake City
C
camastomcat Offline OP
top fuel
camastomcat  Offline OP
top fuel
C

Salt Lake City
Quote:

While there is some great info here ....the personal stuff has to end......now...next guy gets the cooler

I agree, this wasn't my intention. How about going a different direction and getting into the technical aspect of combos 950HP and up? I would like to hear what guys like Monte, Best, Koffel, Bob G., Marsh and others are working on, and keep the BS to a minimum. I'm looking for generalities, as I know a lot of you have competition that would like to know specifics. I don't even care if it's Mopar or not......if that's allowed? It's more about where to finding information and parts.

Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: Eric] #1673805
Apollo, PA.
B1MAXX Offline
top fuel
B1MAXX  Offline
top fuel

Apollo, PA.
Quote:

Where do you see Chevy aluminum blocks for 3k? A 9.8 deck Brodix BBC at Summit is over 5k.

And just to through this out there my buddy's car which he sometimes competes in t/d just runnered up at the last pro-am, it has bbc with skirted mains, sounds like a little Mopar mixed into that one.

Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: B1MAXX] #1673806
09/22/14 01:43 PM
09/22/14 01:43 PM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
Quote:

Quote:

Where do you see Chevy aluminum blocks for 3k? A 9.8 deck Brodix BBC at Summit is over 5k.

And just to through this out there my buddy's car which he sometimes competes in t/d just runnered up at the last pro-am, it has bbc with skirted mains, sounds like a little Mopar mixed into that one.

Must have a Century block in it........those are a good base to start a program with. Have built a few of those

Monte

Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: GTX MATT] #1673807
09/22/14 01:54 PM
09/22/14 01:54 PM
State of confusion
T
Thumperdart Offline
I Live Here
Thumperdart  Offline
I Live Here
T

State of confusion
Quote:

Quote:

Well all I can add is WOW...It is no wonder we get what we get.

You guys make me want to sell my Plymouth and buy a Chevelle.

I'm no racer, I like fast street/strip cars with full interiors. I like everything but I went Mopar because I thought the RB engine makes really good power for the money and are durable, but I'm only looking for around 600 hp max out of a street engine.

Don`t do it. Stay Mopar and 600 hp in a 440 street car is very doable...................

72 Dart 470 n/a BB stroker street car `THUMPER`...Check me out on FB Dominic Thumper for videos and lots of carb pics......760-900-3895.....
Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: Monte_Smith] #1673808
09/22/14 01:55 PM
09/22/14 01:55 PM
Sweet Home Alabama
M
MRMOPAR622 Offline
top fuel
MRMOPAR622  Offline
top fuel
M

Sweet Home Alabama
Quote:

The main disconnect here seems to be that the vast majority of Mopar guys are content to run motors in the 750 or so HP range. Be they bracket racers, test n tuners, stop racers, street guys or whatever. In that range parts are plentiful, cheaper and there seems to be no problem getting them..........Then you have a group of guys who want to make more power. They seem to have no problem ponying up the money for mega-blocks, Indy blocks, KB, B-1s etc, but parts are harder to get and a little more costly. The first group seems to have no problem with the second group.........Then comes the third group. The guys who want to make serious power and or be able to compete on a head to head basis with other brands and do it with Mopar power. This is the group that is always lamenting the fact that Mopar R&D and new parts is virtually non existant at this level and pointing out the fact that there are no parts to do what you want and none on the horizon. Some in group one seem to have a real problem with group three and want to label them "elitest" or some such other bullsh%t and call them not REAL Mopar guys because they complain about parts or choose to go other routes to accomplish what they want. They are content and can't seem to understand why others are not..........THAT is the problem. They only see it from their point of view

Monte

Very well said Monte Or as us need to be Fast Bracket Racers would say you got that Sh*t right!

Sometimes you get way off in Left field and I start to wonder about you but every once in a while you get back on track again!

"To Be The Man'You Have Got To Beat The Man" "T/D and Pro-Bracket Racer"
Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: camastomcat] #1673809
09/22/14 02:02 PM
09/22/14 02:02 PM
Sweet Home Alabama
M
MRMOPAR622 Offline
top fuel
MRMOPAR622  Offline
top fuel
M

Sweet Home Alabama
Quote:

Quote:

I agree, this wasn't my intention. How about going a different direction and getting into the technical aspect of combos 950HP and up? I would like to hear what guys like Monte, Best, Koffel, Bob G., Marsh and others are working on, and keep the BS to a minimum. I'm looking for generalities, as I know a lot of you have competition that would like to know specifics. I don't even care if it's Mopar or not......if that's allowed? It's more about where to finding information and parts.

And to add to what Tom is talking about,the price matters not, all that matters is we must have 700+ Cu in engines to run T/D,T/S,10.5 and many of the other class's!

Last edited by MRMOPAR622; 09/22/14 02:03 PM.

"To Be The Man'You Have Got To Beat The Man" "T/D and Pro-Bracket Racer"
Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: Eric] #1673810
09/22/14 02:07 PM
09/22/14 02:07 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

The Octogon
Two go in
one comes out

I do understand the passion in this thread--as Mopar guys we are at least 20 years behind the other brands on meaningful aftermarket parts and if you toss in price we will never be free from the "MOPAR TAX"

After 30 years of Mopar Only I recently got a new race car with another brand power plant

I have to confess that is was REFRESHING--to call the local distributor--have my choice of 20 part numbers on different blocks and...the local rep delivered to my shop for free next day AND...at a price I was very pleased with.

That kind of thing will turn a mans head

Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: Monte_Smith] #1673811
09/22/14 02:08 PM
09/22/14 02:08 PM
jacksonville,FLORIDA
slammedR/T Offline
super stock
slammedR/T  Offline
super stock

jacksonville,FLORIDA
Hey Monte, You going to be at NO MERCY V this week end at SGMP? Would like to talk to a fellow Mopar guy that likes fast stuff and knows his stuff.

Last edited by slammedR/T; 09/22/14 02:10 PM.

2000 Dakota R/T, 408 magnum, 727, Indy heads
1000cfm 4150 carb, 93 octane fuel.
motor; 10.258 @ 132.78
200 shot; 9.262 @ 144.69
racemagnum
Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: slammedR/T] #1673812
09/22/14 02:14 PM
09/22/14 02:14 PM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
Quote:

Hey Monte, You going to be at NO MERCY V this week end at SGMP? Would like to talk to a fellow Mopar guy that likes fast stuff and knows his stuff.

Leaving tomorrow.........I will have an NOS tent set up next to Chad Hendersons Black ODR Buick, on the back row near the pine trees. Stop by and introduce yourself. I will have MANY customers there and will be busy, but can always find time to talk to another Mopar guy

Monte

Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: Monte_Smith] #1673813
09/22/14 02:17 PM
09/22/14 02:17 PM
jacksonville,FLORIDA
slammedR/T Offline
super stock
slammedR/T  Offline
super stock

jacksonville,FLORIDA
Quote:

Quote:

Leaving tomorrow.........I will have an NOS tent set up next to Chad Hendersons Black ODR Buick, on the back row near the pine trees. Stop by and introduce yourself. I will have MANY customers there and will be busy, but can always find time to talk to another Mopar guy

Monte

Heck Yeah, I will stop by and holla, I will prolly be there saturday, maybe friday depending on work schedule.

2000 Dakota R/T, 408 magnum, 727, Indy heads
1000cfm 4150 carb, 93 octane fuel.
motor; 10.258 @ 132.78
200 shot; 9.262 @ 144.69
racemagnum
Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: Eric] #1673814
09/22/14 02:18 PM
09/22/14 02:18 PM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
Quote:

Cooler? Like a wine cooler?We have enough whinning so lets get some cheese and crackers to go with all the wine-ing. But seriously this type of dialoge here and throughout the race community is what is killing our sport.Choise of words and how the are presented should be respectful if you want people to share their ideas,knowledge and be helpful.There is alot of things that can be accomplished if we all approach it in a professional and respectful manner.
We at BGR have been trying to work with manufactures to help build better product products.Companys Like Indy,HHP,Ritter.440 Source,Edelbrock,Koffels and others are doing a lot to develope more Mopar performance hard parts.The process is long,hard and expensive.But all the negative feedback and bashing these companys get may tend to make them not want to make a commitment of their resources especially the great monatary investment.They have a hard enough time getting raw materials like casting and forgings from the limited foundarys that provide them.Tooling is also a large concern as current machining is getting worn and new tooling is in the outer atmosphere as far as cost.
Bitching and bickering will benifit no one,commitment,ideas and knowledge needs to be constructively and professionally presented to the companys along with a marketing stragity that will get them interested.If everyone here would present their ideas,either collectively or representivly at venues like the PRI shows manufactures may take us serious and listen.
We must support our sport or we will left with memories of better days.

Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: B G Racing] #1673815
09/22/14 02:28 PM
09/22/14 02:28 PM
PA.
pittsburghracer Offline
"Little"John
pittsburghracer  Offline
"Little"John

PA.
Quote:

Quote:

Cooler? Like a wine cooler?We have enough whinning so lets get some cheese and crackers to go with all the wine-ing. But seriously this type of dialoge here and throughout the race community is what is killing our sport.Choise of words and how the are presented should be respectful if you want people to share their ideas,knowledge and be helpful.There is alot of things that can be accomplished if we all approach it in a professional and respectful manner.
We at BGR have been trying to work with manufactures to help build better product products.Companys Like Indy,HHP,Ritter.440 Source,Edelbrock,Koffels and others are doing a lot to develope more Mopar performance hard parts.The process is long,hard and expensive.But all the negative feedback and bashing these companys get may tend to make them not want to make a commitment of their resources especially the great monatary investment.They have a hard enough time getting raw materials like casting and forgings from the limited foundarys that provide them.Tooling is also a large concern as current machining is getting worn and new tooling is in the outer atmosphere as far as cost.
Bitching and bickering will benifit no one,commitment,ideas and knowledge needs to be constructively and professionally presented to the companys along with a marketing stragity that will get them interested.If everyone here would present their ideas,either collectively or representivly at venues like the PRI shows manufactures may take us serious and listen.
We must support our sport or we will left with memories of better days.

How's my twin MAX doing Bob????? LOL

1970 Duster
Edelbrock headed 408
5.984@112.52
422 Indy headed small block
5.982@112.56 mph
9.42@138.27

Livin and lovin life one day at a time

Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: camastomcat] #1673816
09/22/14 02:33 PM
09/22/14 02:33 PM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
Quote:

Quote:

Well, like I told my new best friend, my current project for MY CAR is a custom block drilled for the 4.840 Wayne County pattern, B-1 TS heads I have. I had ordered the ultra low deck block blank in the lifter area and then sent it to LSM, to let them put the lifter bores in it and grind a custom cam. This allowed them to straighten the pushrod angles and get the geometry right. Hopefully I can supply those numbers to a block maker this time and not have to do that again. The Chevy style block is a no brainer, as the rotating assy is easy to get, as well as nice pans etc. With these TS heads as old as they are, I KNOW I will be down power from the jump on the latest GM stuff, but it should still be pretty stout. In a "nitrous config" the latest 632 Chevy stuff will make 1200 pretty easy, so if this TS gets within 100 of that it will be a good day.

Now, BEFORE my newest buddy or somebody else jumps in telling about so and so motor that made better than 1200hp in N/A trim, let me reiterate that I said in NITROUS TRIM. This is NOT an all out, balls to wall N/A build. Compromises have to be made to make a motor live on large amounts of nitrous and this always hurts N/A power a bit. So a purpose built, NITROUS 632 Chevy that makes 1200hp on a properly calibrated dyno is a GOOD one and if the TS motor gets within 100 or so of that, I will be happy.

Monte

Page 8 of 14 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 13 14