09/20/14 10:36 AM
09/20/14 10:36 AM
Q
Quicktree Offline
I Win
Quicktree  Offline
I Win
Q

heck I am still waiting to see the 800hp W5 motor, any one seen one of these? why do we need anything when these can be built?

Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: camastomcat] #1673738
09/20/14 10:58 AM
09/20/14 10:58 AM
Charlotte, NC
L
LSP Offline
pro stock
LSP  Offline
pro stock
L

Charlotte, NC
Quote:

a stock block will cost more in machine work because of the added band aids needed.
That's where my frustration is seeded. But, I think I might finally have the predator ready to go

What block are you using now for your predator setup?

Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: LSP] #1673739
09/20/14 11:07 AM
09/20/14 11:07 AM
Salt Lake City
C
camastomcat Offline OP
top fuel
camastomcat  Offline OP
top fuel
C

Salt Lake City
Quote:

Quote:

a stock block will cost more in machine work because of the added band aids needed.
That's where my frustration is seeded. But, I think I might finally have the predator ready to go

I was able to get one of the last steel hemi blocks. Guess I should have bought a wedge too.

Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: camastomcat] #1673740
09/20/14 01:45 PM
09/20/14 01:45 PM
Charlotte, NC
L
LSP Offline
pro stock
LSP  Offline
pro stock
L

Charlotte, NC
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I was able to get one of the last steel hemi blocks. Guess I should have bought a wedge too.

Trying to understand you then - why are you frustrated with stock blocks when you aren't using one?

Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: LSP] #1673741
09/20/14 02:06 PM
09/20/14 02:06 PM
Pa
Hot 340 Offline
master
Hot 340  Offline
master

Pa
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Trying to understand you then - why are you frustrated with stock blocks when you aren't using one?

Its Moparts, what's to understand? If you're out of money you're a cheapskate, if you spend alot you're a snob, and if you're a regular guy you're not innovative enough and complacent.

Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: madscientist] #1673742
09/20/14 03:32 PM
09/20/14 03:32 PM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline
I Live Here

Las Vegas
Well all I can add is WOW...It is no wonder we get what we get.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."

"It's never wrong to do the right thing"
Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: camastomcat] #1673743
09/20/14 06:36 PM
09/20/14 06:36 PM
Charleston
S
sixpackgut Offline
Drag Week Mod Champion
sixpackgut  Offline
Drag Week Mod Champion
S

Charleston
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The point is it could be done but the blocks are over priced and hard to get and the options aren't there. It's an end user problem.

So who is at fault ? If the Mopar guys have bought up every X-block, R-block, Megablock that has been produced...and bought Every Crate Hemi that has been built.....how on earth can anyone blame them ????

OK I'm gonna try this one more time, just for sport. If the supplier produces 60 blocks, and the consumers need 70+ blocks, how many blocks does the supplier need to make to keep up with demand? And the bore needs to be 4.700 or bigger, and the stroke needs to be 5.5" or bigger, and the current block and cyl head design only allows for 4.560 bore by 5" stroke, what needs to be done to supply little Johnny a block? Can you say aftermarket bow tie? Sure you can.

So your mad at mopar because you need a 763 ci motor to go fast? I'm a little confused with this thread

Gen 3 power 6.22@110, 9.85@135
Follow @g3hemiswap on instagram

performance only racing, CRT, ultimate converter, superior design concepts, ThumperCarbs
Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: Hot 340] #1673744
09/20/14 09:27 PM
09/20/14 09:27 PM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
]Its Moparts, what's to understand? If you're out of money you're a cheapskate, if you spend alot you're a snob, and if you're a regular guy you're not innovative enough and complacent.

All of the above

Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: B G Racing] #1673745
09/20/14 11:12 PM
09/20/14 11:12 PM
Salt Lake City
C
camastomcat Offline OP
top fuel
camastomcat  Offline OP
top fuel
C

Salt Lake City

How about, because there are no more aftermarket steel blocks available, and it really has nothing to do with stock blocks. It has to do with people wanting to make 1000 HP with stock blocks, -1 heads, $3000 aluminum blocks, Chinese crankshafts, and main girdles. It has to do with trying to qualify for T/D with a 4.800 BS N/A motor. I really feel for the N/A Mopar 10.5 tire guys, if they even exist. Ask Bob R., Al, Monte, Steve Gill, Pete Costas, ETC. Unlike some, we like to run something besides our mouth, and make a faster and faster field every year. That's where the frustration is, not to mention spending ten's of thousands for something that qualifies 42 out of 46 cars, then blows up. If that doesn't make it clear to you, I give up trying to explain it.

Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: camastomcat] #1673746
09/21/14 12:25 AM
09/21/14 12:25 AM
Pittsburgh PA
Eric Offline
top fuel
Eric  Offline
top fuel

Pittsburgh PA
Quote:

How about, because there are no more aftermarket steel blocks available, and it really has nothing to do with stock blocks. It has to do with people wanting to make 1000 HP with stock blocks, -1 heads, $3000 aluminum blocks, Chinese crankshafts, and main girdles. It has to do with trying to qualify for T/D with a 4.800 BS N/A motor. I really feel for the N/A Mopar 10.5 tire guys, if they even exist. Ask Bob R., Al, Monte, Steve Gill, Pete Costas, ETC. Unlike some, we like to run something besides our mouth, and make a faster and faster field every year. That's where the frustration is, not to mention spending ten's of thousands for something that qualifies 42 out of 46 cars, then blows up. If that doesn't make it clear to you, I give up trying to explain it.

Some people are just looking for something that will stay together at 700hp and run the numbers. I think that's in where the real issue lies IMHO.

5.53 @ 125 1/8th on the launch control..more left in her!

Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: Eric] #1673747
09/21/14 04:01 AM
09/21/14 04:01 AM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
The main disconnect here seems to be that the vast majority of Mopar guys are content to run motors in the 750 or so HP range. Be they bracket racers, test n tuners, stop racers, street guys or whatever. In that range parts are plentiful, cheaper and there seems to be no problem getting them..........Then you have a group of guys who want to make more power. They seem to have no problem ponying up the money for mega-blocks, Indy blocks, KB, B-1s etc, but parts are harder to get and a little more costly. The first group seems to have no problem with the second group.........Then comes the third group. The guys who want to make serious power and or be able to compete on a head to head basis with other brands and do it with Mopar power. This is the group that is always lamenting the fact that Mopar R&D and new parts is virtually non existant at this level and pointing out the fact that there are no parts to do what you want and none on the horizon. Some in group one seem to have a real problem with group three and want to label them "elitest" or some such other bullsh%t and call them not REAL Mopar guys because they complain about parts or choose to go other routes to accomplish what they want. They are content and can't seem to understand why others are not..........THAT is the problem. They only see it from their point of view

Monte

Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: Monte_Smith] #1673748
09/21/14 04:07 AM
09/21/14 04:07 AM
Arizona
C
Chris'sBarracuda Offline
master
Chris'sBarracuda  Offline
master
C

Arizona
Quote:

The main disconnect here seems to be that the vast majority of Mopar guys are content to run motors in the 750 or so HP range. Be they bracket racers, test n tuners, stop racers, street guys or whatever. In that range parts are plentiful, cheaper and there seems to be no problem getting them..........Then you have a group of guys who want to make more power. They seem to have no problem ponying up the money for mega-blocks, Indy blocks, KB, B-1s etc, but parts are harder to get and a little more costly. The first group seems to have no problem with the second group.........Then comes the third group. The guys who want to make serious power and or be able to compete on a head to head basis with other brands and do it with Mopar power. This is the group that is always lamenting the fact that Mopar R&D and new parts is virtually non existant at this level and pointing out the fact that there are no parts to do what you want and none on the horizon. Some in group one seem to have a real problem with group three and want to label them "elitest" or some such other bullsh%t and call them not REAL Mopar guys because they complain about parts or choose to go other routes to accomplish what they want. They are content and can't seem to understand why others are not..........THAT is the problem. They only see it from their point of view

Monte

EXACTLY..

Chris..

Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: Monte_Smith] #1673749
09/21/14 04:19 AM
09/21/14 04:19 AM
Charleston
S
sixpackgut Offline
Drag Week Mod Champion
sixpackgut  Offline
Drag Week Mod Champion
S

Charleston
Quote:

Monte

That is so well written, that i think you should save it and use it next week when the topic come up again.

Gen 3 power 6.22@110, 9.85@135
Follow @g3hemiswap on instagram

performance only racing, CRT, ultimate converter, superior design concepts, ThumperCarbs
Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: Monte_Smith] #1673750
09/21/14 05:46 AM
09/21/14 05:46 AM
IL
E
EchoSixMike Offline
mopar
EchoSixMike  Offline
mopar
E

IL
Quote:

Monte

I suppose it should be pointed out that there is no "mopar/chevy/ford" at that level. It's all custom stuff, as I'm sure you know.

The Mopar crowd, in fact, dominates it all, since there's nothing other than Hemis at the highest levels of drag racing, on whatever fuel, except where the rules force them out. As has been noted before, not least by me, the rules are invariably designed to put butts in the seats and generate revenue. S/F.....Ken M

Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: EchoSixMike] #1673751
09/21/14 09:49 AM
09/21/14 09:49 AM
MI, usa
dvw Offline
master
dvw  Offline
master

MI, usa
Just curious. Bob R runs a Chrysler based engine? Though I didn't see the engine, Duane Mills Camaro was sporting angled distributor sticking through the hood, what is it running for power? Both of those cars are pretty darn fast.
Doug

Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: Monte_Smith] #1673752
09/21/14 11:14 AM
09/21/14 11:14 AM
Pa
Hot 340 Offline
master
Hot 340  Offline
master

Pa
Quote:

Monte

Hey, I'm almost in group 2!

8276341-Movun.jpg (53 downloads)
Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: sixpackgut] #1673753
09/21/14 11:19 AM
09/21/14 11:19 AM
Phoenix, AZ
M
MoparBilly Offline
master
MoparBilly  Offline
master
M

Phoenix, AZ
Quote:

Quote:

Monte

That is so well written, that i think you should save it and use it next week when the topic come up again.

I agree wholeheartedly.

Quote:

It has to do with trying to qualify for T/D with a 4.800 BS N/A motor.

Uh, Tom...that's a really bad business model...all the way around. This is another thing I notice about "Group 3" as Monte calls them. What's the hang up with N/A??? T/D is a power adder class, and more power is being added every day! The chevy guys who can't afford the monster cubic inch stuff have no issues bolting on a blower or a bottle.

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines
Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: MoparBilly] #1673754
09/21/14 11:51 AM
09/21/14 11:51 AM
Salt Lake City
C
camastomcat Offline OP
top fuel
camastomcat  Offline OP
top fuel
C

Salt Lake City
Uh, Tom...that's a really bad business model...all the way around. This is another thing I notice about "Group 3" as Monte calls them. What's the hang up with N/A??? T/D is a power adder class, and more power is being added every day! The chevy guys who can't afford the monster cubic inch stuff have no issues bolting on a blower or a bottle.

Yes, that's right, I'm a tad selfish there and want a bracket car, T/D, and S/C car all in one. I'm not so elite as to be able to own 2 cars. If I went one of those way though, it would probably with NOS so I could achieve the other goals. I would still need an aftermarket block.

Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: Monte_Smith] #1673755
09/21/14 11:57 AM
09/21/14 11:57 AM
Pittsburgh PA
Eric Offline
top fuel
Eric  Offline
top fuel

Pittsburgh PA
Quote:

Monte

Funny...I bracket race...and god forbid throttle stop race but love seeing the really "fast" cars. How would that change the lack of a block that the vast majority of people desire?

5.53 @ 125 1/8th on the launch control..more left in her!

Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: Monte_Smith] #1673756
09/21/14 12:42 PM
09/21/14 12:42 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Monte

You forgot the part of where the "group three" whines and blames the others because they can't pick up the phone and have the parts they want shipped next day. And they want 20 plus heads to choose from......And blocks available in any bore space and deck height they desire...
And then there are the group four guys that are out there racing instead of whining and blaming others about having no parts.....

Page 5 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 14