08/28/14 01:57 AM
08/28/14 01:57 AM
In a house near you
S
Street Monkies Offline OP
Street Monkies  Offline OP
S

In a house near you
As most folks know mopar is way behind on there products like cylinder heads, blocks, ect. They have chevy small blocks capable of 600 cubic inches with after market blocks. They have small block mopars up at around 500 Inches. R3 blocks only capable of 4.220" maxium bore. Not many good conventional head options that make much power. Also the big block side the bore space is only 4.800" for iron race blocks not an aluminum hemi where they are 5.000". For the folks that run classes that have to use stock style bore space engine blocks or conventional cylinder heads mopar just doesn't have much to offer. Either b1 or indy 600-13 heads. Chevy guys have a 4.840" bore space with the new SR 20 heads. Ford has a 4.900" bore space and have the A460 heads. The SR 20's are only a few years old. Ford also comes out with new stuff. To bad there wasn't more of a market for mopar guys. Besides my opinion it would be cool to hear others about the whole R&D for mopar. Thanks Moparts for listening to my rant..

Re: R&D For Both Big/Small block [Re: Street Monkies] #1664646
08/28/14 05:00 AM
08/28/14 05:00 AM
Melbourne , Australia
LA360 Offline
master
LA360  Offline
master

Melbourne , Australia
Most Mopar guys aren't going to spend the $$$

No sales = No return on investment

The guys that have pushed the envelope, have done so because they were able to afford to do so and clearly liked a challenge.

Alan Jones
Re: R&D For Both Big/Small block [Re: LA360] #1664647
08/28/14 07:00 AM
08/28/14 07:00 AM
Idaho
1320Dart Offline
mopar
1320Dart  Offline
mopar

Idaho
Quote:

Most Mopar guys aren't going to spend the $$$

No sales = No return on investment

The guys that have pushed the envelope, have done so because they were able to afford to do so and clearly liked a challenge.

FWIW...I think Al_Alguire should be heading up a Mopar R&D department!

Greg

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Cost is irrelevant, making memories is far more valuable!biggrin
Re: R&D For Both Big/Small block [Re: 1320Dart] #1664648
08/28/14 08:27 AM
08/28/14 08:27 AM
Metro Detroit
OUTLAWD Offline
top fuel
OUTLAWD  Offline
top fuel

Metro Detroit
It was brought up before, for every 10 mopars at the track, there are 100 chevys/fords, the demand is simply not there.

are you telling me my purple cam isn't good anymore?

Faster, Faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...

71 Swinger - slowly collecting dust/parts
66 Belv. II - just a streetcar
88 Mustang - turbo LS beater
Re: R&D For Both Big/Small block [Re: OUTLAWD] #1664649
08/28/14 10:36 AM
08/28/14 10:36 AM
Weddington, N.C.
Streetwize Offline
master
Streetwize  Offline
master

Weddington, N.C.
IMO. mopar has never really supported the performance aftermarket to anywhere near its potential...but pragmatically there's not much money to be made in the aftermarket when your proportional sales volume has historically (I'm rough guessing here) been about one 3rd of Ford and maybe one sixth of Chevy. Case in point, remember when MOPAR was trying to sue everyone for infringement? They were so late to the aftermarket demand as an act of desperation to make anything off of the Mopar heritage they tried to 'tax' the free market aftermarket trying to fill the need that Mopar willfully ignored for years.

If they were serious about it they would offer market competitive pricing on things like crate motors and not be selling (as good as they are) the same old 40+ year old flat tappet cam grinds... The resurgence of the Musclecar market was really the only financial interest they have had in it for the past 25 years or so...and even that is small potatos in the grand scheme of things. But I suspect they'll support the new Hemi crate motor because it doesn't really cost very much at all to pluck one off the assembly line and strap it to a pallet.

But as for head and block R&D, I wouldn't hold my breath. to be honest our best hope is the new Hemi, it has proven to be about the only viable alternative to the uber popular LS since the Ford motors (as cool and sophisticated as they are) are massive and heavy and much more difficult to transplant.

Last edited by Streetwize; 08/28/14 10:40 AM.

WIZE

World's Quickest Diahatsu Rocky (??) 414" Stroker Small block Mopar Powered. 10.84 @ 123...and gettin' quicker!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mWzLma3YGI

In Car:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjXcf95e6v0
Re: R&D For Both Big/Small block [Re: Streetwize] #1664650
08/28/14 10:58 AM
08/28/14 10:58 AM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Chrysler has 13-14 percent of the total market place
in sales(new car/truck sales).. not the largest by
any means... also they dont seem to be into the idea
of racing(look at what they are involved in) and it
seems they dont have the extra money to do aftermarket
stuff for racing

Re: R&D For Both Big/Small block [Re: Street Monkies] #1664651
08/28/14 11:27 AM
08/28/14 11:27 AM
maryland
74yellowduster Offline
74yellowduster  Offline

maryland
http://thitek.net/news/jesses-200mph-challenger-hot-rod-magazine/

Quote:

Built by Spankin Time Performance in San Bernardino, California, Jesse Iwuji’s Challenger uses a Darton-sleeved, 408ci Hemi stroker crank from Scat spinning a set of Carillo rods and CP pistons. The engine also has ThiTek heads and a 4.2L Kenne Bell supercharger that runs as much as 22 psi of boost on E85. The exhaust uses OVX long tube headers, Bassani mid-pipes, and Flowmaster Super 40–Series mufflers.

The 912 rwhp gets to the ground by way of an SHR transmission, a DSS driveshaft, and the stock differential and axles with 3.06 gears. With that combo, Jesse became the fifth modern Mopar to break the 200-mph barrier in the standing mile, running 200.9 mph. He’s also run 174 mph in the half-mile, which is the same speed our showroom-stock ’13 Dodge Challenger SRT ran in a mile and a half.

http://www.nmcadigital.com/2013/09/19/br...r-for-rob-goss/

i guess some R&D must be goin on

Re: R&D For Both Big/Small block [Re: 74yellowduster] #1664652
08/28/14 02:31 PM
08/28/14 02:31 PM
Kalispell Mt.
H
HotRodDave Offline
I Live Here
HotRodDave  Offline
I Live Here
H

Kalispell Mt.
Summit lists 8 cylinder heads for a 77 360 and 471 heads for a 77 350. That is almost 59 to 1 ratio, there is not that big a difference in the number of cars out there so there has to be room for a new head or two. Oh and the 77 302 has 202 heads on summit. If they can justify the wattered down sales caused by 471 different SBC heads surely they can justify a couple more SBM heads, maybe give us 10 to pick from

I am not causing global warming, I am just trying to hold off a impending Ice Age!

Re: R&D For Both Big/Small block [Re: HotRodDave] #1664653
08/28/14 07:31 PM
08/28/14 07:31 PM
In a house near you
S
Street Monkies Offline OP
Street Monkies  Offline OP
S

In a house near you
Thanks for the replies fellows. It's nice to hear the mopar community to speak out on this subject. It's difficult being a die hard mopar guy and watching Chevy or Ford come out with new products all the time and Mopar has next to nothing. I would like to hope that maybe one day something will change for the good. Like some people said the hemi could be the only hope we have.

Re: R&D For Both Big/Small block [Re: Street Monkies] #1664654
08/28/14 07:50 PM
08/28/14 07:50 PM
Idaho
L
LaRoy Engines Offline
mopar
LaRoy Engines  Offline
mopar
L

Idaho
I think we should quit fussing and just build it.

Re: R&D For Both Big/Small block [Re: Street Monkies] #1664655
08/28/14 08:16 PM
08/28/14 08:16 PM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
I introduce new products for Mopar engines all the time. Sales are fairly low though so it is hardly worth the effort. I design new parts more as a hobby than as an actual business. If I didn't have other sources of income I'd most likely starve to death making Mopar parts.

There aren't very many guys who make a living selling Mopar parts that they designed themselves. Indy is about it, maybe KB, might be a few others out there. There are some folks who make money reselling parts into the Mopar space. Hughes, Mancini, Mazzolini, etc., but not very many guys who can actually fund their own R&D and manufacturing. There just isn't enough money to go around.

Re: R&D For Both Big/Small block [Re: 74yellowduster] #1664656
08/28/14 09:04 PM
08/28/14 09:04 PM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
Quote:

Quote:

Built by Spankin Time Performance in San Bernardino, California, Jesse Iwuji’s Challenger uses a Darton-sleeved, 408ci Hemi stroker crank from Scat spinning a set of Carillo rods and CP pistons. The engine also has ThiTek heads and a 4.2L Kenne Bell supercharger that runs as much as 22 psi of boost on E85. The exhaust uses OVX long tube headers, Bassani mid-pipes, and Flowmaster Super 40–Series mufflers.

The 912 rwhp gets to the ground by way of an SHR transmission, a DSS driveshaft, and the stock differential and axles with 3.06 gears. With that combo, Jesse became the fifth modern Mopar to break the 200-mph barrier in the standing mile, running 200.9 mph. He’s also run 174 mph in the half-mile, which is the same speed our showroom-stock ’13 Dodge Challenger SRT ran in a mile and a half.

The be blunt........so what...........ain't nothing about that really impressive. A new HEMI with a blower that makes a little north of 1100hp.......Trust me, that is NOT tough to do with any decent smallblock of ANY make.

And where is the R&D part of it. You take a decent shortblock, put some good heads on it........add boost. Easy power, been done for years. Because its a Mopar, we think it is something spectacular, when really it is run of the mill........and THAT is the reason the Mopar aftermarket is not supportive. Not enough people out there doing it

Monte

Re: R&D For Both Big/Small block [Re: Monte_Smith] #1664657
08/28/14 09:58 PM
08/28/14 09:58 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The be blunt........so what...........ain't nothing about that really impressive. A new HEMI with a blower that makes a little north of 1100hp.......Trust me, that is NOT tough to do with any decent smallblock of ANY make.

And where is the R&D part of it. You take a decent shortblock, put some good heads on it........add boost. Easy power, been done for years. Because its a Mopar, we think it is something spectacular, when really it is run of the mill........and THAT is the reason the Mopar aftermarket is not supportive. Not enough people out there doing it

Monte

Well, these guys are out there doing it......and not taking the easiest and cheapest path....or copying someone elses combo....

Re: R&D For Both Big/Small block [Re: Street Monkies] #1664658
08/28/14 10:11 PM
08/28/14 10:11 PM
oklahoma
F
forphorty Offline
pro stock
forphorty  Offline
pro stock
F

oklahoma
Here is the reason I believe that R&D for Mopars is severely lacking: From the 80s all the way up until 2008, Mopar didn't make ANY 2 door ,RWD,V8 performance cars. Compare that to the millions of 5.0 Mustangs made. These cars are cheap and plentiful, whereas if you want to put together a nice little street/strip Mopar you will probably be starting with a car from the 70s or older. If Mopar had made a 318 powered car in the 80s and 90s with similar performance to the Mustang, I believe we would have a lot more choices in the aftermarket. Instead, Mopar concentrated on trucks and FWD.

Re: R&D For Both Big/Small block [Re: forphorty] #1664659
08/28/14 11:54 PM
08/28/14 11:54 PM
St. Paul , Mn.
tubtar Offline
master
tubtar  Offline
master

St. Paul , Mn.
I got two words for you.......... Neon R/T.
Their focus on past glories was not how can we duplicate it , but how can we cash in on it.
The people at the top should be solid car guys , not advertising executives and accountants.
The corporate mentality smothers creativity , or at a minimum , stifles it.
Given the smaller market share , it would take some give and take to get close to the " big two " as far as Ma is concerned......and if there isn't a solid 30 % margin , you aren't going to be selling much to the top floors.
With the aftermarket , it doesn't have the baggage of history.
It has to pay or it is a labor of love.
Not much middle ground there.

Re: R&D For Both Big/Small block [Re: ] #1664660
08/29/14 05:12 AM
08/29/14 05:12 AM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Monte

Well, these guys are out there doing it......and not taking the easiest and cheapest path....or copying someone elses combo....

Dude you are such a hater and so brand loyal, you can't see whats right in front of your eyes............You think it costs ANY less to build a blown LS motor to do the SAME thing that Hemi does........the answer is NO.............And they are NOT copying what anybody else did huh...........OK, guess nobody has EVER built a good short block from run of the mill ordinary parts, put some nice aftermarket heads on it, with a blower and made 1100 hp............ I can get a Kenne Bell supercharger kit for my Mercedes........The fact that these guys chose to do it with a Mopar.........admirable..........ground breaking......hardly.

Guys like you always cry about how CHEAP high HP Chevys are to build..........horsesh%t..........you obviously haven't priced any nice parts lately for the other guys. And don't be bringing that weak crap in here and start comparing prices for the top of the line Mopar head and the bargain basement off brand stuff. Comparable heads cost comparable money.......don't matter what block they bolt on. And a sleeve is a sleeve, a crank is a crank, a piston is a piston and so on. Just because it goes in a Mopar makes it cost no more.

Monte

Re: R&D For Both Big/Small block [Re: Monte_Smith] #1664661
08/29/14 10:13 AM
08/29/14 10:13 AM
Arizona
C
Chris'sBarracuda Offline
master
Chris'sBarracuda  Offline
master
C

Arizona
I think this Guy's in Love with you Monte..

Kind of a "Post Stalker"

Chris..

Re: R&D For Both Big/Small block [Re: Monte_Smith] #1664662
08/29/14 11:53 AM
08/29/14 11:53 AM
Ontario Canada
M
MattW Offline
master
MattW  Offline
master
M

Ontario Canada
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Monte

What's impressive Monty is the fact for the first time in Mopar history we have a production head that surpasses the capability of the block.
Is the New hemi the end all be all? Hell no, but if they would make the design bigger for a big block version and so on. I think it would be easier to made big power and possibly cheaper to build.
Monty your in the one percentile. Your stuff is all custom and reworked from top to bottom.
IMO the New Hemi allow people to make some good steam without going to race oriented on the build. Matt

Re: R&D For Both Big/Small block [Re: Monte_Smith] #1664663
08/29/14 12:30 PM
08/29/14 12:30 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Monte

Dude you are such a hater and so brand loyal, you can't see whats right in front of your eyes............You think it costs ANY less to build a blown LS motor to do the SAME thing that Hemi does........the answer is NO.............And they are NOT copying what anybody else did huh...........OK, guess nobody has EVER built a good short block from run of the mill ordinary parts, put some nice aftermarket heads on it, with a blower and made 1100 hp............ I can get a Kenne Bell supercharger kit for my Mercedes........The fact that these guys chose to do it with a Mopar.........admirable..........ground breaking......hardly.

Guys like you always cry about how CHEAP high HP Chevys are to build..........horsesh%t..........you obviously haven't priced any nice parts lately for the other guys. And don't be bringing that weak crap in here and start comparing prices for the top of the line Mopar head and the bargain basement off brand stuff. Comparable heads cost comparable money.......don't matter what block they bolt on. And a sleeve is a sleeve, a crank is a crank, a piston is a piston and so on. Just because it goes in a Mopar makes it cost no more.

Monte

How is giving credit to guys for their accomplishments being a hater ?? or brand loyal ??

YOU are the one putting others down.....

I don't know how much a chevy costs to build and don't really care...

You are the one that is putting a chevy engine in your GTX...because you have to have a Proven Combo that has already been done.....and it has to be free....

You put down every mopar racer around...when you haven't raced since the 90's !!

Re: R&D For Both Big/Small block [Re: MattW] #1664664
08/29/14 12:38 PM
08/29/14 12:38 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
JMO... I think if the gen 3 style block would be converted
to a BB version with a 5" bore spread it could be done
BUT thus far all the heads have been build for the