12/12/08 02:34 AM
12/12/08 02:34 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Does the 66 dodge dart GTS exist?I have seen them referred to in a 1966 factory memo on how to modify 66 darts and barracuda for road racing and also in a recent mag. article but thats it. My "little white book" dosen't seem to list them either. The reason i ask is I picked up 273 ,4 speed,8 3/4 sure grip, frt. disk ,hd susp,quick ratio steering 66 Dart GT.The broadcast sheet also shows it coming with the goodyear bluestripe race tires.The aformentioned memo lists all those options as standard on a GTS model. Any info. would be greatly appreciated befor I begin a resto. THANKS!

Re: 1966 GTS ? #166367
12/12/08 02:54 AM
12/12/08 02:54 AM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

Does the 66 dodge dart GTS exist?I have seen them referred to in a 1966 factory memo on how to modify 66 darts and barracuda for road racing and also in a recent mag. article but thats it. My "little white book" dosen't seem to list them either. The reason i ask is I picked up 273 ,4 speed,8 3/4 sure grip, frt. disk ,hd susp,quick ratio steering 66 Dart GT.The broadcast sheet also shows it coming with the goodyear bluestripe race tires.The aformentioned memo lists all those options as standard on a GTS model. Any info. would be greatly appreciated befor I begin a resto. THANKS!

What on the broadcast sheet says bluestripe race tires.

Dart GT's were availiable with bluestripe street tires.

Do you have a link or picture of that facotory memo? Is it the one on www.teamstarfish.com here http://www.teamstarfish.com/fia_papers.html ??

It calls out for a Barracuda GT. They never made one from the factory for sale. I don't know if they even used those specs for 66 Trans Am.

Maybe just used for Rally racing that Scott Harvey was into.

Re: 1966 GTS ? [Re: autoxcuda] #166368
12/12/08 06:44 PM
12/12/08 06:44 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I guess I meant to say goodyear bluestripe tires and hd rims code 12B the memo used to be on the team starfish site a while ago but is no longer. I have a copy of it somewhere

Re: 1966 GTS ? [Re: autoxcuda] #166369
12/15/08 08:41 PM
12/15/08 08:41 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

Do you have a link or picture of that facotory memo? Is it the one on www.teamstarfish.com here http://www.teamstarfish.com/fia_papers.html ??

It calls out for a Barracuda GT. They never made one from the factory for sale. I don't know if they even used those specs for 66 Trans Am.

Thanks for the link! I am not sure I know what I am looking at, but it appears that this fellow is trying to say there were 500 of these Barracuda GT's built with plexiglass rear windows, 318 engines, aluminum intakes, and 15 X 7 aluminum center and steel rim, wheels (aftermarket), built? If this is the case, my BSdetector just jumped off the chart.
What is this?

Re: 1966 GTS ? #166370
12/15/08 08:51 PM
12/15/08 08:51 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I too have a 273 four barrel, 4-speed, 8 3/4 grip, disc brake, sway bar/HD suspension, '66 Dart GT.
Mine is an historical race car, that was built from the factory spec with D/Dart parts and A990 Superstock parts (rear springs) and it raced in the L.A. California area.
In the '65/6 performance and dress up catalog you could order 14x5.5 inch stamped steel wheels. They were not uncommon. Also many of the GTs came with blue streaks.

Re: 1966 GTS ? #166371
12/16/08 03:34 AM
12/16/08 03:34 AM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks for the link! I am not sure I know what I am looking at, but it appears that this fellow is trying to say there were 500 of these Barracuda GT's built with plexiglass rear windows, 318 engines, aluminum intakes, and 15 X 7 aluminum center and steel rim, wheels (aftermarket), built? If this is the case, my BSdetector just jumped off the chart.
What is this?

No, Mike Ritz is not trying to make that claim. But the papers serve a for vintage rules.

Those are just homologation papers are for the FIA organization. Different organations are stricter interpetations than others. And those were used for various racing groups like SCCA, Rally racing, european stuff, etc...) I believe the Ford GT40's come under the same idea of factory built (they did make some street cars).

Also, a lot of "over the counter" parts with factory part numbers are homologated. I've got a 65 or 66 magazine that has some Chrysler factory part numbers for part Hi Po parts that were not production line.

Even now days there are parts in the MP catalog that you just can't get over the counter as a regular joe.