Re: need advice on tubular upper control arms! [Re: feets] #166281
12/12/08 09:24 PM
12/12/08 09:24 PM
east tn
wrackcrawler Offline OP
wrackcrawler  Offline OP

east tn
Quote:

You do realize that if you use that mongoloid front sway bar without an equally mongoloid rear bar that you will succeed in turning your car into a push [Edited by Moparts - Keep it clean], right?

The front bar will prevent some body roll but will make the car tend to go straight instead of turning. A rear bar will also control roll but helps the front tires grab the turns better.

Front bars make cars go straight.
Rear bars make cars go around backwards.
BOTH bars (when matched together) will make for a better handling car.

I've got the stock large 69 B-body bar with a large rear bar from Just Suspension. The hot rod handles rather nicely now.

yea i have read and heard that you can't think of using a rear without a front. i am eventually going to get a rear big firm feel as well. i want to do this for now and see the difference it makes. like i said,i just got the sub frames in this summer and still haven't driven the car! i am trying to save some cash on this car and make put some xv stuff under my '69 gtx clone! thinking of going RMS in the front of it though.
your '65 sounds like a monster!

Re: need advice on tubular upper control arms! [Re: wrackcrawler] #166282
12/12/08 11:38 PM
12/12/08 11:38 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

Quote:

You do realize that if you use that mongoloid front sway bar without an equally mongoloid rear bar that you will succeed in turning your car into a push [Edited by Moparts - Keep it clean], right?

The front bar will prevent some body roll but will make the car tend to go straight instead of turning. A rear bar will also control roll but helps the front tires grab the turns better.

Front bars make cars go straight.
Rear bars make cars go around backwards.
BOTH bars (when matched together) will make for a better handling car.

I've got the stock large 69 B-body bar with a large rear bar from Just Suspension. The hot rod handles rather nicely now.

yea i have read and heard that you can't think of using a rear without a front. i am eventually going to get a rear big firm feel as well. i want to do this for now and see the difference it makes. like i said,i just got the sub frames in this summer and still haven't driven the car! i am trying to save some cash on this car and make put some xv stuff under my '69 gtx clone! thinking of going RMS in the front of it though.
your '65 sounds like a monster!

I autocrossed for years with a 3/4 rear bar and stock front bar. But I had .99 front Torsion bars. The bigger springs resist roll too of course. The front and rear roll couple combines the spring and the sway bar.

For an autocross in a tight low speed (under 60 mph) course with a heavy sedan, you'd want more over steer with more rear roll couple. On a road course not so much in the rear. I had a pro driver drive my Cuda at Willow Spring in 2007. He thought it had too much rear bar or not enough front. So in 2008 I went from a stock 7/8" front sway bar to a 1 1/8 front swaybar.

This is why an adjustable rear bar is sooo cool. Helwig makes one.

Re: need advice on tubular upper control arms! [Re: wrackcrawler] #166283
12/17/08 12:45 AM
12/17/08 12:45 AM
east tn
wrackcrawler Offline OP
wrackcrawler  Offline OP

east tn
well. i talked to dick at firm fell. hell of a nice guy! ordered my from front swaybar,1 1/4"! after talking with him,i am going to get his upper arms,and box the lca's also after the first of the year. looking for a rear swaybar by the end of the summer. anybody running a triangulated rear setup with coilovers? i would like to do that on my '69.

Page 2 of 2 1 2