08/12/14 01:37 PM
08/12/14 01:37 PM
PORT ALBERNI , BC., CANADA
superwrench Offline OP
master
superwrench  Offline OP
master

First one..... When the class has been called to go to the staging lanes, and the cars have been counted and determined if there will be a bye run, and the bye contestant has been picked, is it still proper to allow a "late" car to show up and nullify the bye? How long does the staging crew have to wait??
Second.....when you are at the front of the lanes, and the stage guy directs you and the other car to enter the burnout box and the other guy hasn't even put on his jacket , helmet and belts, shouldn't he get DQ'd for delaying the process? The reason I ask is because I was directed into the burnout box, told to do my burnout, then I had to wait up near the line for a good minute getting overheated while I had to wait for the other clown.
Just asking.....seems to me that some guys just don't have very good race manners...

Re: Two questions ..... [Re: superwrench] #1658131
08/12/14 02:26 PM
08/12/14 02:26 PM
Az
Crizila Offline
master
Crizila  Offline
master

Az
#1 shouldn't happen because the bye should be predetermined long before you are called to staging. If the guy shows up just in time to run with the bye ( last car ), he is too late and should be DQ'd.
#2 Every track is different on the time allowed to stage after you have been waved forward. If I had to wait a minute, I would back out and back in to the water box, forcing the starter to start the process over. This would include you turning on the pre-stage light. You should not be turning on the stage light until your apponent has turned on his pre-stage light. Then I believe he has 7 seconds to get in.

Fastest 300
Re: Two questions ..... [Re: superwrench] #1658132
08/12/14 02:34 PM
08/12/14 02:34 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
I normally won't start my car to pull out of the staging lanes until the other car is ready also. If he can't or won't start after I'm moving up to the burn out box I will shut my car off in the water and wait until he is doing his burn out or instructed to restart and do my burnout As far as the car count the track should know how many cars are enter in each class, if a racer breaks or decides to not race then the staging crew will have to deal with that If I'm upset or have a suggestion on how to help the track run the races smoother or better and if I have a complaint about the way the races are being conducted I will tell the track manager in the most respectful way I can, which sometimes is really hard to not let my emotions kick in Remember the old adage about being able to catch more flies with honey than vinegar People won't, don't learn how to fix things if someone doesn't let them know it needs fixing Good luck, let us know how that turns out

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: Two questions ..... [Re: Cab_Burge] #1658133
08/12/14 04:44 PM
08/12/14 04:44 PM
Sweet Home Alabama
M
MRMOPAR622 Offline
top fuel
MRMOPAR622  Offline
top fuel
M

Sweet Home Alabama
At some of the smaller Tracks there are no Rules,but at the Big $$$ Bracket Races.When you are called to Staging soon after they will announce how many mins it will be to they close the staging lanes.If you are not there you do not get to run.They let the Drivers know when to start getting ready and if you are not suited up and ready unless your car will not crank you are out!Most times you get 3 mins to get your car started and up to the line,if you fail to do so you are out.They used to let cars go to the back of the line if they had cranking problems,but like with everything else people took advantage of that so they no longer allow that any more.
If for any reason you leave your car and the line needs to move up you out!When you have close to or a little more than 300 race-cars and have 1st round buy backs,there is no wasting time allowed!

PS I guess after all I do like some Rules,because thats the way a Race from start to finish should be run,matters not if its 300 or 30 race-cars.

"To Be The Man'You Have Got To Beat The Man" "T/D and Pro-Bracket Racer"
Re: Two questions ..... [Re: Cab_Burge] #1658134
08/12/14 04:50 PM
08/12/14 04:50 PM
Balt. Md
383man Offline
Too Many Posts
383man  Offline
Too Many Posts

Balt. Md
I do understand that sometimes a racer may need a few seconds to maybe a minute to get ready if for some reason he or she is not in their car. I see alot of racers and even me sometimes get out of their cars to wait when their staging lane is cut off and its a ton of cars in the other lanes. But I always try to watch and when they start on the lane next to mine where I know my lane will be next I get ready and get in the car. Many times I will wait until the last minute to put my helmet on when its really hot out. But I always try to make sure I will be ready within a few seconds to 30 seconds. Then when I pull in the water to do my burnout I dont start my burnout until I see the other car pull into the water also. And of course after the burnout I pull right up and prestage and then wait for the other racer to prestage if they are not yet. As was stated I dont go in and stage until the other driver is prestaged as thats the way I was taught and they call it courtesy staging. If the wait gets too long like yours was I agree with what others said as I would back out and back up to the burnout box again and hope the track starter will signal me whats going on. I dont have a problem waiting a bit if a racer has a problem as I figure it could happen to me one day.

I will never forget when we were bracket racing my buddies Cuda one night and in the third round when we rolled into the burnout box the other racer was under his car working on it. The starter said we could let the rest of the racers race to give the guy time or we could just go up and stage and he will be DQ'd. It was my buddies Cuda and he decided to wait and give the guy a chance to fix his car. Turns out he was fooling with the shifter and he was ready when the rest of the racers were done. I was hoping he would not loose after waiting for him and he did not as he ran an 11.50 on an 11.50 dail as the other guy missed a gear and we won the round and ended up winning the race when he ran 11.49 in the final as the other guy redlited. It paid off to be very kind that night. Ron

Re: Two questions ..... [Re: superwrench] #1658135
08/12/14 05:58 PM
08/12/14 05:58 PM
Az
Crizila Offline
master
Crizila  Offline
master

Az
Another solution to #1 ( which the group I race with does ), is to randomly pair everyone off for all rounds. You can't make it to pair off with your opponent, your out. This also eliminates "fish hunting" in the staging lanes.

Fastest 300
Re: Two questions ..... [Re: Crizila] #1658136
08/12/14 06:56 PM
08/12/14 06:56 PM
superwrench Offline OP
master
superwrench  Offline OP
master

Just to clarify problem #2......There were 3 staging lanes. The staging crew have a predetermined order as to what lanes are paired to run off. I was under the impression that if you are at or near the front of any lane, you had better have your gear on and ready to advance.
Personally, I try to make sure I'm suited up and strapped in to go when I'm no closer than about 4 cars to the front.
Maybe I'm being a little pissy, but some guy's will do anything to throw others off their game. As it turned out, this fellow drilled me with a .006 light and I had to stick my foot thru the rad to catch and nip him at the stripe....a tad too fast with a breakout....MOV was .002 !!!

Re: Two questions ..... [Re: superwrench] #1658137
08/12/14 09:21 PM
08/12/14 09:21 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
Quote:

Just to clarify problem #2......There were 3 staging lanes. The staging crew have a predetermined order as to what lanes are paired to run off. I was under the impression that if you are at or near the front of any lane, you had better have your gear on and ready to advance.
Personally, I try to make sure I'm suited up and strapped in to go when I'm no closer than about 4 cars to the front.
Maybe I'm being a little pissy, but some guy's will do anything to throw others off their game. As it turned out, this fellow drilled me with a .006 light and I had to stick my foot thru the rad to catch and nip him at the stripe....a tad too fast with a breakout....MOV was .002 !!!

I love racing those racers that try to use any way they can to win, I love messing with people also I don't mess around or fool around unless I know they do or they do it first When they mess with me it makes me more alert and I normally end up doing better I will say this, I love racing the better racers so I have to get better to beat them I can't win races unless I can beat the best racers racing that day BTW, I haven't won many races lately Do you know where the good racers race, I need some practice Another BTW, I've been beat by .0001(by John Calvert, AKA Cal tracs) and I've beaten other racers by .0004 If you race long enough you will have close races The bad racers never have close races Don't give up, get better and get even

Last edited by Cab_Burge; 08/13/14 12:29 AM.
Re: Two questions ..... [Re: Cab_Burge] #1658138
08/12/14 10:03 PM
08/12/14 10:03 PM
Sweet Home Alabama
M
MRMOPAR622 Offline
top fuel
MRMOPAR622  Offline
top fuel
M

Sweet Home Alabama
In Grudge Racing anything goes in Bracket Racing if someone wants to act like an idiot and can get back and get loaded up and gone before I get back.Its all fine and well by me if he/she goes into work Monday morning bragging about it.....but if they fail to be able to get loaded up and gone before I get back...when they are able to go back to work they will not need to tell anyone anything they will be able to see what happened.
While that may sound like a joke its not,I have a lot of $$$ in my car and I'm in good shape and if Fighting is what it takes I have no problem with it.

Last edited by MRMOPAR622; 08/12/14 10:07 PM.

"To Be The Man'You Have Got To Beat The Man" "T/D and Pro-Bracket Racer"
Re: Two questions ..... [Re: MRMOPAR622] #1658139
08/12/14 10:34 PM
08/12/14 10:34 PM
Arizona
C
Chris'sBarracuda Offline
master
Chris'sBarracuda  Offline
master
C

Arizona
NHRA rule is that you have until the first car of the next class is pulled up.

Used that up a couple times..

Won the round too..

Chris..

Re: Two questions ..... [Re: Chris'sBarracuda] #1658140
08/12/14 10:58 PM
08/12/14 10:58 PM
superwrench Offline OP
master
superwrench  Offline OP
master

Quote:

Won the round too..

Chris..

The SuperPro guys behind us Pro's were already lining up in the lanes. This is what pissed me off. Doesn't matter because I put him on the trailer anyways. It's just the principle....

Re: Two questions ..... [Re: superwrench] #1658141
08/12/14 11:44 PM
08/12/14 11:44 PM
Arizona
C
Chris'sBarracuda Offline
master
Chris'sBarracuda  Offline
master
C

Arizona
Quote:

Quote:

Won the round too..

Chris..

The SuperPro guys behind us Pro's were already lining up in the lanes. This is what pissed me off. Doesn't matter because I put him on the trailer anyways. It's just the principle....

I didn't mean to the lanes.. I meant to actually go up to run..

In other words, you have until the next class' first car goes past the line in staging lanes to actually pull up to the burn out box..

This has happened to me 3 times in almost 30 years.. Every time because of breakage..

Had to pull the intake twice before and still made it up to race.

Once it was in the semi finals of a National S/ST race..

The staging guys kept coming back to our trailer to see how we were doing.. We made it but lost..

The other 2 times we won..

In Topeka KS. we lost a pushrod after 2nd round and it kicked a lifter

Had to pull the intake to fix it. Got it done with minutes to spare..

The S/G cars were just starting to move and we beat them to the line..

Happened to win that one, as the other guy red lit.. He saw us at our

trailer and he was pretty sure he had a bye run.. AND at the other

end of that race his car caught fire.. You never know..

Another time at Pomona, my car wouldn't turn left.. We managed to get it up there

just in time, and low and behold, we were the last car, so we got a bye..

Couldn't fix the rack, so we just staged first and second round..

So, that's why the rule is there.. Just in case..

Chris..

Re: Two questions ..... [Re: Chris'sBarracuda] #1658142
08/13/14 05:41 PM
08/13/14 05:41 PM
Puyallup, WA
S
StealthWedge67 Offline
master
StealthWedge67  Offline
master
S

Puyallup, WA
I don't race enough to give any advice or comment on these situations, but I will say that I have learned that it pays to just be calm as these things transpire; and they WILL transpire.

One time I pulled into the waterbox and went through my routine at the same time the other guy did. we pulled to the stage beams at about the same time. but when I went to pre-stage, he backed away. I sat there for a good 30 seconds or so and watched as he and the starter began a conversation. I backed out of the pre-stage beam and started watchning my temp guage rise. I got all bent out of shape let myself get frustrated. Luckily I ended up winning the round, but afterward when I went to ask the guy "what that was all about?" He proceeded to tell me that my dial time was entered wrong on the board and he was getting them to fix it for me. Boy did I feel an inch tall. Here I was getting angry, and the guy was actually trying to help me with something I should have noticed but didn't!
Bottom line, a calm approach will usually pay off.

LemonWedge - Street heavy / Strip ready - 11.07 @ 120
Re: Two questions ..... [Re: StealthWedge67] #1658143
08/13/14 06:49 PM
08/13/14 06:49 PM
Central New York
slippery440 Offline
Crybaby440
slippery440  Offline
Crybaby440

Central New York
I have had this done to me a couple of times. Made it to the front line to go out onto the track and all of a sudden there was anouther car in the other lane. Asked the head of the stageing line and he said that I only had a byrun on a single only if there was no one left to race and the guy that I had to race, won the round before and I had to race him.The other time I was like you doing the burnout and anouther car showed up.Beat him by playing a stageing game. He got caught by a fast tree. I kind of knew the tree would activate fast.Watched the races before and noticed when it took a long time for the cars to stage it would be a quick lite. All you can do is not get off your game. All tracks are differant in rules.
As for a racer taking his time to get ready thats just not right. The tracks I race you have to be ready and at the front of the stageing ready to race or they send the next guy and you are DQ.

If the MODS did their job I would not be hitting the notify MOD button. LOL
Re: Two questions ..... [Re: slippery440] #1658144
08/15/14 04:03 AM
08/15/14 04:03 AM
Aurora, Colorado
451Mopar Offline
master
451Mopar  Offline
master

Aurora, Colorado
For bye runs, it depends on the race and class. In King Street the races are laddered so you know who you will be racing or if you have a bye. In most of the trophy classes, it is just whoever shows up to pair against, but if there is an odd number most of the time they will choose who had the best reaction time or closest to their dial-in from the previous round. The track crew usually won't allow the last guy who shows up to get the bye run, just to prevent the game of everyone showing up late to the staging lanes.
The track crew won't let you advance to the burnout box if your car is not running and you are not ready to race (belts, helmet, ect.)
If the other car dies and won't start after the burnout they may hold you to see if the car can be started. You are normally allowed to backup and do your burnout again if you have been waiting. Just let the track crew know.

Last edited by 451Mopar; 08/15/14 04:04 AM.