08/05/14 04:18 PM
08/05/14 04:18 PM
Eugene, Oregon
Secret Chimp Offline OP
super stock
Secret Chimp  Offline OP
super stock

Eugene, Oregon
I have 11.75 discs/2.75in bore GM calipers up front and stock 11x2.5 drums in the rear. I'm using Dr. Diff's aluminum MC, the original '67 drum/drum distribution block, and a rear prop valve - that's it. I've put in new rear wheel cylinders and gotten the air out of the system (believe me) including re-bleeding the MC.

Despite instructions otherwise that say the above is all I need, from what I've read it sounds like I really need a 10 psi residual pressure valve to get my rear drums to work right and firm up my pedal.

Right now, one direct stroke of the brakes = not that great, but 1 pump and the pedal comes up and it's better. More pumping doesn't do anything (used to, everything is bled out now). Turning my prop valve a few turns from all the way out makes the problem worse - I can feel the drums activate and the car slow more after a longer delay.

10 psi valve time for the rears? Is there any reason I wouldn't with my parts combo?

1967 Dodge Coronet Deluxe station wagon

1.03" T-bars, QA1 arms/rods, Cordoba/GM Metric/Volare brake & knuckle, XHDs, Hellwig rear sway, 318 Magnum w/ air gap, 727, 3.23s
Re: Do I need a residual pressure valve? [Re: Secret Chimp] #1655375
08/05/14 06:05 PM
08/05/14 06:05 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
Call Cass and ask him if that master cylinder has the residual valve built into it I remove them from any master cylinder I use on disc brakes(that port only) when the master cylinder is higher than the disc brake calipers are, you need a 2 to 3 PSI if the master cylinder is lower than the disc brake calipers to prevent them draining back into the master cylinder. Let us know what you find out and do.

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: Do I need a residual pressure valve? [Re: Cab_Burge] #1655376
08/05/14 06:15 PM
08/05/14 06:15 PM
The Netherlands
BigBlockMopar Offline
master
BigBlockMopar  Offline
master

The Netherlands
The alum. MC's don't have res.valves as far as I know.

Res. valves should only take away soms slack/spongyness out of the system, and not really solve a very deep pedal the first time the brakes are applied.

There's only a minimum of play between the brake pedal-rod and the MC?

Did you adjust the rear drums correctly (barely dragging against the drums when rotated by hand)?

Re: Do I need a residual pressure valve? [Re: BigBlockMopar] #1655377
08/05/14 07:52 PM
08/05/14 07:52 PM
Eugene, Oregon
Secret Chimp Offline OP
super stock
Secret Chimp  Offline OP
super stock

Eugene, Oregon
Quote:

Res. valves should only take away soms slack/spongyness out of the system, and not really solve a very deep pedal the first time the brakes are applied.

There's only a minimum of play between the brake pedal-rod and the MC?

Did you adjust the rear drums correctly (barely dragging against the drums when rotated by hand)?

It's not a really deep pedal - there's just an inch-ish difference between the first application and coming up once or twice. There's not much sponginess to it (I can kind of squish it around some when it's firm but I'm assuming that's partly to do with my giant caliper pistons). The drums are adjusted out. I also turned my prop valve in about another 3/4 and it seems slightly improved (haven't done a front/rear lockup test at that setting though).

1.03" T-bars, QA1 arms/rods, Cordoba/GM Metric/Volare brake & knuckle, XHDs, Hellwig rear sway, 318 Magnum w/ air gap, 727, 3.23s
Re: Do I need a residual pressure valve? [Re: Cab_Burge] #1655378
08/05/14 08:34 PM
08/05/14 08:34 PM
Eugene, Oregon
Secret Chimp Offline OP
super stock
Secret Chimp  Offline OP
super stock

Eugene, Oregon
Quote:

Call Cass and ask him if that master cylinder has the residual valve built into it I remove them from any master cylinder I use on disc brakes(that port only) when the master cylinder is higher than the disc brake calipers are, you need a 2 to 3 PSI if the master cylinder is lower than the disc brake calipers to prevent them draining back into the master cylinder. Let us know what you find out and do.

Nope, this is a "universal" one intended for use with both disc/disc and disc/drum setups. No specified futzing for disc/drum.

Re: Do I need a residual pressure valve? [Re: Secret Chimp] #1655379
08/05/14 10:33 PM
08/05/14 10:33 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
If the slave cyls are large enough and the MC bore small enough I could see that it takes a fair amount of pedal travel to fill em. I would take off the MC lines & cap the MC with a pair of brass inverted flare male fittings from the Edelman cabinet at your parts house (they're cheap & you WILL reuse em) and if the MC is bled out & the cups are sealing excellent you will have a rock hard pedal with virtually NO travel. That gets the MC out of the way (assuming it's bore is large enough for your choice of slave cyls). Then I would hookup the line to the fronts & get them high and tight. Holler when you can with any news. To ans your Q maybe a residual valve in the rear line would solve this easily but sumpin dont sound right & I got 76 A body 2.75 discs/10" drums with the OE drum splitter and a truck 1&1/8" alum MC on a 65 dart (till it got totalled/not related to braking) & there's NO lag on the first pump

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: Do I need a residual pressure valve? [Re: BigBlockMopar] #1655380
08/06/14 01:28 AM
08/06/14 01:28 AM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
Quote:

It seems to me that I have had to remove the residual valves from one of the newer aluminum master cylinders to remove the drag from the front disc brakes. The valve is a very small flapper valve and spring captured behind the brass seat bewtween the brass seat and the master cylinder I use a # 8 self tapping screw to thread into the center hole several revolutions and then pry the seat out to see if the valve is in thier If so remove, discard the valve and spring and reinstill the seat back into the M.C. and tighten up the fitting tightly to reseat the brass seat and go racing

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)