Houston, Tx
A
AlexP Offline OP
I Live Here
AlexP  Offline OP
I Live Here
A

Houston, Tx
A friend of mine has a really good looking 70 Charger 500 Clone. It's got what were assuming is a 72 Forged Crank, External balance 440.

He has priced out the American Powertrain Kit to go from a 727 Auto to the TKO. It's every bit of $7,000. Coming from an auto car and going to a TKO with a Hydraulic Clutch linkage, how much do you think is a fair price to pay?

Not everyone can take the time to install themselves, and this is one of those instances. I really, really wanted him to go with a Passon 5 speed, but for the moment those are unobtainium.

Any advice? The place we want to do the install is a mopar only shop here in Texas and pointed out the potential problem of the crank not being drilled for a pilot bearing. I'll address that in another thread. I've had a forged crank 440 that was externally balanced, and I never even checked if the crank was drilled.

My Build thread: Let the hemi swap begin!

1968 wanna be pro touring whatchamacallit with some fancy stuff and a new roof skin.
Re: TKO-600 in a 70 Charger: How much is a fair install? [Re: AlexP] #1653095
07/30/14 05:40 PM
07/30/14 05:40 PM
Houston Tx
Uhcoog1 Offline
super stock
Uhcoog1  Offline
super stock

Houston Tx
Quote:

A friend of mine has a really good looking 70 Charger 500 Clone. It's got what were assuming is a 72 Forged Crank, External balance 440.

He has priced out the American Powertrain Kit to go from a 727 Auto to the TKO. It's every bit of $7,000. Coming from an auto car and going to a TKO with a Hydraulic Clutch linkage, how much do you think is a fair price to pay?

Not everyone can take the time to install themselves, and this is one of those instances. I really, really wanted him to go with a Passon 5 speed, but for the moment those are unobtainium.

Any advice? The place we want to do the install is a mopar only shop here in Texas and pointed out the potential problem of the crank not being drilled for a pilot bearing. I'll address that in another thread. I've had a forged crank 440 that was externally balanced, and I never even checked if the crank was drilled.

I imagine he's in a hurry, but I think he should get on the waiting list for the Passon and wait it out.

For a TKO install - I'd say $2k labor. Motor at the same time, add another $1k. My

-'02 Dodge Viper Ex-World Challenge racecar
-'73 Duster, 6.1 based 392 hilborn hemi, tko600, full floater rear 9", Hellwig custom bars, viper brakes, built for road course
Re: TKO-600 in a 70 Charger: How much is a fair install? [Re: AlexP] #1653096
07/30/14 06:42 PM
07/30/14 06:42 PM
Northern Calyfornua
S
Sxrxrnr Offline
pro stock
Sxrxrnr  Offline
pro stock
S

Northern Calyfornua
What price did the shop quote. Likely twice as much where I live.

Re: TKO-600 in a 70 Charger: How much is a fair install? [Re: Sxrxrnr] #1653097
07/30/14 07:16 PM
07/30/14 07:16 PM
Houston, Tx
A
AlexP Offline OP
I Live Here
AlexP  Offline OP
I Live Here
A

Houston, Tx
They didn't quote, which was the honest thing to do. Not knowing about the crankshaft makes or breaks the whole deal.

1968 wanna be pro touring whatchamacallit with some fancy stuff and a new roof skin.
Re: TKO-600 in a 70 Charger: How much is a fair install? [Re: AlexP] #1653098
07/30/14 07:29 PM
07/30/14 07:29 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Quote:

That's FULL retail,...too high, has he's tried Hurst Drivelines for a TKO quote?...as far as the cast crank, no problem, my 440/6 in my 70 Charger is a cast crank, there's no need for a drilled crank as the pilot shaft is short on the TKO600 and you use the crank register for pilot bearing (roller) retention not the bore....

SST (formerly Keisler) is your other option, but seeing management is "new", and they haven't had any real track record time, good or bad, it's a tough call on going that route, although I have heard a few good reports of customer feedback, but it's small potato stuff, no major purchases, I think everyone is gun shy to make the plunge on a full kit...they are also quoting full retail...which IMHO I wouldn't pay...

As far as installation, for a seasoned professional, Auto removal, pedal swap, floor hump (use a factory 4spd hump!) tranny install, odds and ends,... 6-8 hrs, I've done this TKO install many times, IMHO if your paying more than a G note for installation, your paying too much

Mike

Re: TKO-600 in a 70 Charger: How much is a fair install? [Re: DAYCLONA] #1653099
07/30/14 09:18 PM
07/30/14 09:18 PM
Houston, Tx
A
AlexP Offline OP
I Live Here
AlexP  Offline OP
I Live Here
A

Houston, Tx
I just received a new quote from American powertrain $5,500 shipped with a discount.

They also said 20-30 hours on install with the hydraulic clutch.

Much better.

Re: TKO-600 in a 70 Charger: How much is a fair install? [Re: AlexP] #1653100
07/30/14 11:35 PM
07/30/14 11:35 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Quote:

I just received a new quote from American powertrain $5,500 shipped with a discount.

They also said 20-30 hours on install with the hydraulic clutch.

Much better.

$5500 isn't too bad, that should included EVERYTHING, pedals/linkage/heim ends, master cyl.TOB, bell, clutch disc, flywheel, pilot bearing, disc cover, bell cover, tranny, shifter (repro Mopar factory style) all rubber boots, hyd resv. lines, speedo cable, comlete assembled drive shaft/high speed balance, tranny mount, tranny crossmember, reverse wire harness, tranny fluid (sycromesh), all the hardware fastners and SHIPPING for that price

20-30 hrs for a first time installation?

I'd recommend you use a factory 4 spd hump as it will offer a better appearance and more importantly clearance than the sheetmetal hump supplied by most of the TKO swap kits/mfg's, the TKO puts out a lot of heat in prolonged OD mode, esp at high speeds,...Dyna mat the floor and hump after install, best to do a trial mock up with just the bell/tranny/crossmember to confirm driveline angle, measure the driveline angle of the Auto before removal as a reference point, IMHO I'd cut the floor open for the 4 spd hump, do a mock up of the bell/tranny/cross member...trim the floor accordingly, and or tranny case if needed, install the hump after you've done the mock up and made any floor/tranny mods,... the TKO, depending on how much APT currently trims the case?, may have useless mounting bosses or tabs/ears not needed that interfere with the floor, the TKO is a very tall case, your best to remove the shift tower from the tranny before install (only 2 bolts) make sure the tranny is in neutral during removal and install of the shift tower, the shift tower is easy to mistakenly install 180 degrees, rule to remember is the flat of the shifter nub where the shift handle bolts onto, faces the drivers side...

FYI...make sure to state that you need an EXTERNALLY BALANCED FLYWHEEL for your 440 application when ordering, if that's the case

And should there be any issues/questions talk to Gray at APT for Mopar related questions/problems

Mike

Re: TKO-600 in a 70 Charger: How much is a fair install? [Re: DAYCLONA] #1653101
07/31/14 12:27 AM
07/31/14 12:27 AM
Memphis
HemiRick Offline
master
HemiRick  Offline
master

Memphis
The factory hump with a Tremec trans adds space where its not needed.....The factory hump is to accommodate the factory trans shifter...which was outside the trans...the shifter in a tremec is internal. So the space on the side is not needed. I was able to make a tremec fit in my Charger with just a little hammering on the floor and a little grinding on the trans....

Take care,
Rick
68 Coronet R/T 440 & 68 Charger 528 Hemi,and 5 Challengers! 6 cyl, 318, 360, 383, 451
Re: TKO-600 in a 70 Charger: How much is a fair install? [Re: DAYCLONA] #1653102
07/31/14 04:43 PM
07/31/14 04:43 PM
Tennessee
S
SilverOverdrives Offline
SilverOverdrives  Offline
S

Tennessee
Quote:

Quote:

That's FULL retail,...too high, has he's tried Hurst Drivelines for a TKO quote?...as far as the cast crank, no problem, my 440/6 in my 70 Charger is a cast crank, there's no need for a drilled crank as the pilot shaft is short on the TKO600 and you use the crank register for pilot bearing (roller) retention not the bore....

SST (formerly Keisler) is your other option, but seeing management is "new", and they haven't had any real track record time, good or bad, it's a tough call on going that route, although I have heard a few good reports of customer feedback, but it's small potato stuff, no major purchases, I think everyone is gun shy to make the plunge on a full kit...they are also quoting full retail...which IMHO I wouldn't pay...

As far as installation, for a seasoned professional, Auto removal, pedal swap, floor hump (use a factory 4spd hump!) tranny install, odds and ends,... 6-8 hrs, I've done this TKO install many times, IMHO if your paying more than a G note for installation, your paying too much

Mike

Hey Mike, thanks for mentioning us. Silver Sport Transmissions is new but the product and staff's experience are not.

I can match that price and we have everything in stock. I have attached a photo of the B body TKO for reference.

Jeff Kauffman

8225776-MoparBMS.jpg (77 downloads)

Jeff Kauffman
VP Sales & Marketing
Silver Sport Transmissions LLC
844-609-8187
Re: TKO-600 in a 70 Charger: How much is a fair install? [Re: SilverOverdrives] #1653103
07/31/14 05:29 PM
07/31/14 05:29 PM
Houston Tx
Uhcoog1 Offline
super stock
Uhcoog1  Offline
super stock

Houston Tx
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Mike

Hey Mike, thanks for mentioning us. Silver Sport Transmissions is new but the product and staff's experience are not.

I can match that price and we have everything in stock. I have attached a photo of the B body TKO for reference.

Jeff Kauffman

Jeff-

Glad to see you on the forums.

I've got a Keisler tko600 kit in my A body. I'm assuming ya'll could sell me service parts if I need anything going forward?

-'02 Dodge Viper Ex-World Challenge racecar
-'73 Duster, 6.1 based 392 hilborn hemi, tko600, full floater rear 9", Hellwig custom bars, viper brakes, built for road course
Re: TKO-600 in a 70 Charger: How much is a fair install? [Re: Uhcoog1] #1653104
08/01/14 04:08 PM
08/01/14 04:08 PM
Houston, Tx
A
AlexP Offline OP
I Live Here
AlexP  Offline OP
I Live Here
A

Houston, Tx
I received a quote from SST yesterday. We will see what route my friend ends up choosing.

It's good to know that the crankshaft to input shaft dilemma that we were told about is really a non-issue.

Re: TKO-600 in a 70 Charger: How much is a fair install? [Re: AlexP] #1653105
08/01/14 10:30 PM
08/01/14 10:30 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Quote:

I received a quote from SST yesterday. We will see what route my friend ends up choosing.

It's good to know that the crankshaft to input shaft dilemma that we were told about is really a non-issue.

Would be great to hear some feedback on vendor choice, vendor service, installation, etc, etc, etc....look forward to reading about it

Mike

Re: TKO-600 in a 70 Charger: How much is a fair install? [Re: Uhcoog1] #1653106
08/05/14 12:45 PM
08/05/14 12:45 PM
Tennessee
S
SilverOverdrives Offline
SilverOverdrives  Offline
S

Tennessee
Absolutely! Just call us and we'll be happy to help.

Jeff

Jeff Kauffman
VP Sales & Marketing
Silver Sport Transmissions LLC
844-609-8187