Niles , Ohio
T
therocks Offline
oh wait.but hey.lets see.oh yeah.
therocks  Offline
T

Niles , Ohio
I dont konw Ive had cars with bad rotors at work that shook so bad you could barely hold onto the steering wheel.If it only happens on brtaking the rotors are junk for sue.After about 10 or 20000 brake jobs you learn.Im not saying that some steering cant be worn.But if it only happens on braking the rotors are JUNK.Then look at chassis parts when they get replaced.Reminds me of guys that turn new rotors and then say it shakes.No S--t.They are so thin new that cutting them just makes it worse.Rocky

Chrysler Firepower
Re: death wobble [Re: therocks] #1645085
07/16/14 07:10 PM
07/16/14 07:10 PM
PORT ALBERNI , BC., CANADA
superwrench Offline
master
superwrench  Offline
master

PORT ALBERNI , BC., CANADA
Quote:

I dont konw Ive had cars with bad rotors at work that shook so bad you could barely hold onto the steering wheel.If it only happens on brtaking the rotors are junk for sue.After about 10 or 20000 brake jobs you learn.Im not saying that some steering cant be worn.But if it only happens on braking the rotors are JUNK.Then look at chassis parts when they get replaced.Reminds me of guys that turn new rotors and then say it shakes.No S--t.They are so thin new that cutting them just makes it worse.Rocky

It's almost impossible to buy a good quality rotor anymore. Even the 1 ton truck ones should be designed a 1/4" thicker than they are. Doesn't seem to matter if you buy the Dealer ones or the off-shore cheapies...they don't last worth s**t. Of course, people drive a lot faster now and tow heavier loads than they did 30 years ago when the problem wasn't so prevalent.
My wifes 07 Charger eats up front rotors like gasoline...of course, if you ever went for a drive with her, you'd soon know why !!!

Re: death wobble [Re: superwrench] #1645086
07/17/14 03:08 PM
07/17/14 03:08 PM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
Even the worst warped rotors I have dealt with didn't cause what sounds like a loss of control. That's a big gulf to jump from a shake to get to a dangerous loss of control.

EBC still makes a good rotor and Rockauto had some slotted China ones that have been OK so far. The EBC can be a pain sometimes to get in, so ordering from RA might be easiest if you need to get it done soon. My wife is a brake component tester and if they can stand up to her, they can stand up to you. I promise.

I want my fair share
Re: death wobble [Re: superwrench] #1645087
07/18/14 05:57 PM
07/18/14 05:57 PM
Niles , Ohio
T
therocks Offline
therocks  Offline
T

Niles , Ohio
SuperWrench you are right.I had more problems with the factory or hi buck rotors than the store brands.Carguy as for not creating a shake really bad you need to come to Ohio.Like I said in over 30 years I had some that felt like the whole car was coming apart.I had one Chrysler that I did new Bendix drums on the rear.Took it for a ride and they were so bad it almost threw me out of the seat.Yeah brakes can and will do crazy things.No matter how much you pay for rotors they are all the same thickness.Rocky

Last edited by therocks; 07/18/14 05:58 PM.

Chrysler Firepower
Re: death wobble [Re: therocks] #1645088
07/18/14 10:11 PM
07/18/14 10:11 PM
Kalispell Mt.
H
HotRodDave Offline
I Live Here
HotRodDave  Offline
I Live Here
H

Kalispell Mt.
The fact is there are several reasons these trucks have death wobble... worn front end parts from trac bars to tie rod ends to brake rotors and a lot of time it is a combination of two or more factors and fixing any one can stop it for a while even if it is not the only participating part. After working on a bunch of them you can start to get an idea the difference in the various wobbles... warped rotors feel different than worn trac bars, a worn trac bar can start wobbling from a pot hole OR hitting the brakes, sometime swapping bars can fix it enough to not worry about the rotors, sometimes fixing the rotors can stop it even if the trac bar is bad. Usually if the trac bar is bad and the rotors are bad you can induce it from hitting the brakes but it probably will not stop just letting off the brakes, if you swap the trac bar in this case it may fix most of the problem but warrped rotors need to be fixed to get rid of it all, of course since it is way better the customer may let it slide that it shakes a little when you hit the brakes but that little shaking may cause the trac bar to go out early then you look stupid, of course if you fix the rotors it may quit for a while but come back soon, then you get blamed for using cheap rotors or machining them wrong... as a repair shop we pretty much have to go every component one at a time and recomend every questionable part to avoid a comeback, then they go to another shop who replaces rotors, the wobble goes away and we look stupid, but they are doomed to come back to us saying the other shops repair did not last.

I am not causing global warming, I am just trying to hold off a impending Ice Age!

Re: death wobble [Re: HotRodDave] #1645089
07/18/14 10:26 PM
07/18/14 10:26 PM
San Francisco
D
dilvoy Offline
super stock
dilvoy  Offline
super stock
D

San Francisco
Quote:

The fact is there are several reasons these trucks have death wobble... worn front end parts from trac bars to tie rod ends to brake rotors and a lot of time it is a combination of two or more factors and fixing any one can stop it for a while even if it is not the only participating part. After working on a bunch of them you can start to get an idea the difference in the various wobbles... warped rotors feel different than worn trac bars, a worn trac bar can start wobbling from a pot hole OR hitting the brakes, sometime swapping bars can fix it enough to not worry about the rotors, sometimes fixing the rotors can stop it even if the trac bar is bad. Usually if the trac bar is bad and the rotors are bad you can induce it from hitting the brakes but it probably will not stop just letting off the brakes, if you swap the trac bar in this case it may fix most of the problem but warrped rotors need to be fixed to get rid of it all, of course since it is way better the customer may let it slide that it shakes a little when you hit the brakes but that little shaking may cause the trac bar to go out early then you look stupid, of course if you fix the rotors it may quit for a while but come back soon, then you get blamed for using cheap rotors or machining them wrong... as a repair shop we pretty much have to go every component one at a time and recomend every questionable part to avoid a comeback, then they go to another shop who replaces rotors, the wobble goes away and we look stupid, but they are doomed to come back to us saying the other shops repair did not last.

You are probably right on this, but you forgot to mention a pee poor design. My 98 Ram 4x4 had the death wobble from the day it was new.

Re: death wobble [Re: dilvoy] #1645090
07/19/14 03:19 AM
07/19/14 03:19 AM
fredericksburg virginia
M
mopwrd340 Offline
enthusiast
mopwrd340  Offline
enthusiast
M

fredericksburg virginia
Where i worked we had a 2 wd f150 that started having death wobble we replaced the rotors a few frontend parts but we couldn't get rid of it . My F 450 device truck started doing it to checked out frontend all was ok it finally figured it out we had our whole yard covered in asphalt millings from the plant next door and the little rocks would stick in the tread and throw them out of balance .Both trucks had the same brand&tread pattern replaced the front tires on both trucks with a wider tread pattern no more death wobble ,

Re: death wobble [Re: mopwrd340] #1645091
07/19/14 10:49 AM
07/19/14 10:49 AM
Niles , Ohio
T
therocks Offline
therocks  Offline
T

Niles , Ohio
IIRC aftermarket makes a trac bar that eliminates the wobble.I know we did a few Jeeps at work that had bad bars.Rocky

Chrysler Firepower
Re: death wobble [Re: therocks] #1645092
07/21/14 01:44 AM
07/21/14 01:44 AM
garnett kansas
rhad Offline
super stock
rhad  Offline
super stock

garnett kansas
i had a old chevy 1/2 ton that i was drivin one day and went across some railroad tracks at hiway speed,DEATH WOBBLE big time,had to come to a complete stop ,later i checked it out and the frame was broke where the steering gear bolted on,welded it up ,no more problems

my ladder of success is missing some rungs
Re: death wobble [Re: therocks] #1645093
07/21/14 02:13 PM
07/21/14 02:13 PM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
Quote:

SuperWrench you are right.I had more problems with the factory or hi buck rotors than the store brands.Carguy as for not creating a shake really bad you need to come to Ohio.Like I said in over 30 years I had some that felt like the whole car was coming apart.I had one Chrysler that I did new Bendix drums on the rear.Took it for a ride and they were so bad it almost threw me out of the seat.Yeah brakes can and will do crazy things.No matter how much you pay for rotors they are all the same thickness.Rocky

If you got something made completely wrong, that is not the same as what you will see from warped parts caused by driving. Aside from running stock Yugo rotors on a Le Mans racer that is. Thickness has nothing to do with metal quality either.

Re: death wobble [Re: BlwnCrcab] #1645094
07/21/14 04:15 PM
07/21/14 04:15 PM
Sunny South Florida
Golden-Arm Offline
I Live Here
Golden-Arm  Offline
I Live Here

Sunny South Florida
so, did the op ever get this sorted? if you did, let's hear about it already.

"When Tyranny Becomes Law, Rebellion Becomes Duty"

Re: death wobble [Re: Golden-Arm] #1645095
07/22/14 01:07 AM
07/22/14 01:07 AM
IL
B
BlwnCrcab Offline OP
BlwnCrcab  Offline OP
B

IL
I checked the front end out everything loose needs rebuil.
company not going to spend the time and $$$ to fix it.
truck is rusty beat to hell POS not worth fixing
thanks for the help

Page 2 of 2 1 2