07/08/14 01:49 AM
07/08/14 01:49 AM
Spokane Washington
ScottSmith_Harms Offline OP
Mr Wizzard
ScottSmith_Harms  Offline OP
Mr Wizzard

Spokane Washington
I'm in, anywhere within 2,000 miles of Spokane. Road Race, 1/4 mile and standing mile, parking lot slalom, maybe a combo of all, sort of like the One Lap events?

8201542-3.jpg (165 downloads)
Re: A-Body Shootout Thread -Who's in & What have you got? [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #1643857
07/08/14 02:08 AM
07/08/14 02:08 AM
Nebraska
72Swinger Offline
master
72Swinger  Offline
master

Nebraska
I am in if I can meet my already self imposed deadline of next spring. I am in the process of assembling another engine and installing a proper cage. I told my 10 yr old earlier we are gonna work on the Dart regularly starting in the morning lol. Waiting on piston rings or short block would be done too. End of month I am ordering cage.

8201558-003.JPG (163 downloads)
Last edited by 72Swinger; 07/08/14 02:11 AM.

Mopar to the bone!!!
Re: A-Body Shootout Thread -Who's in & What have you got? [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #1643858
07/08/14 02:56 AM
07/08/14 02:56 AM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Spring Fling has hosted a Mopar themed track day for the last 9 years. We invite all Mopars. Lots of Moparts members attend. The track is allready rented, cornerwokers paid for, etc. We even have track instuctors for novices or to get newcomers to the track up to speed quickly.

We'd gladly welcome any others that wish to attend. There's lots of comaderie and helpfulness with people with a common goal.

The event is held on Thursday before the Spring Fling Mopar event that offers many other activities. On Friday morning we have a free Malibu driving cruise through the mountains and a free kick off party Friday night. There is a free all-mopar cruise-in Saturday night.

I realize So Cal is not in the center of the country, but no location is perfect. Remember, a location halfway between two people is close for no one.

Last edited by autoxcuda; 07/08/14 03:40 AM.
Re: A-Body Shootout Thread -Who's in & What have you got? [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #1643859
07/08/14 03:47 AM
07/08/14 03:47 AM
SoCal
MuuMuu101 Offline
I got lucky at Woodward!
MuuMuu101  Offline
I got lucky at Woodward!

SoCal
I'm in. I may be a terrible driver, but I'm down. I just need a better engine and trans after I'm done with installing the new rear end, TVS, brakes, and wheels.

I will try to the best of my ability to make the Spring Fling track day this year. I should be graduated. The only thing that would compromise my schedule would be not enough vacation days if I got a new job.

Re: A-Body Shootout Thread -Who's in & What have you got? [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #1643860
07/08/14 10:42 AM
07/08/14 10:42 AM
Houston Tx
Uhcoog1 Offline
super stock
Uhcoog1  Offline
super stock

Houston Tx
Quote:

I'm in, anywhere within 2,000 miles of Spokane. Road Race, 1/4 mile and standing mile, parking lot slalom, maybe a combo of all, sort of like the One Lap events?

List of those lined up on my end:
Wade Koehl (me) in 3G Hemi Duster (Houston, TX)
Rick Ehrenberg in Green Brick (NY) (after spring of 2015)
Peter Bergman in Dart (NY)

Rick said he's on board if not too far. SoCal is too far. Personally, if we line ALL the top cars up, I'll go just about anywhere.

The 'main event' for me is the road course portion. It's what my car was built for. I'm on board for anything else that gets lined up, though. Let's just do the road course first

Rick suggested piggybacking the event on an open track day or driving school.

As far as tracks go- less walls and more runoff is good.

Steve's event in SoCal is a good one, as all levels of drivers could attend. But it may not work unless someone can get the NY cars down and Kevin's Dart from Michigan (?).

-'02 Dodge Viper Ex-World Challenge racecar
-'73 Duster, 6.1 based 392 hilborn hemi, tko600, full floater rear 9", Hellwig custom bars, viper brakes, built for road course
Re: A-Body Shootout Thread -Who's in & What have you got? [Re: MuuMuu101] #1643861
07/08/14 01:00 PM
07/08/14 01:00 PM
USA
C
Consulier Offline
enthusiast
Consulier  Offline
enthusiast
C

USA
I am definitely in on an A Body Shootout. I would bring out my Dart and the Brick will get there one way or another.

I see a few different scenarios...

1) Have an East and West coast event. Winner from either event travels to the other. Travel fund generated by all participants to fund the fuel bill for the traveler. If it costs me an extra $100-$200 to support somebody traveling cross country, fine with me.

2) An event for all Mopars to decide each body line. Competition broken into classes by body (A,B,E) and that's it... no other rules on the car, maybe a tire rule to eliminate slicks or something. I think this is the most feasible and could even be similar to #1 with an East/West event. You could draw decent sponsor funding since it opens it up to lot's of vendors. I'm sure we could get MA involved and have something similar to their Drag Race Series. Lot's of options with this one... Open it up to LX stuff and the car count would go even higher.

3) Single event, A Body only, would have to be centrally located. Hallet, Kansas and that general area is the middle ground. Just under the 2k mark from the Northwest and about 1400+ from the East Coast. We could piggyback on an open track day, or probably easier to just get in on a NASA Time Trial event. Might not all be in the same group, but simple to organize. Rocky Mountain Region has events all over Colorado, Kansas and Oklahoma.

4) As much as I want to get a car to CA, I'm not footing the bill to just have an open track day... sorry. If we got one truck to haul 6-8 cars, that might be an option. There would have to be multiple pick up points starting on the East Coast. Bill would still be minimum $1.5 - $2k per car. Again, that's a lot for a track day. There would have to be more in it for me.

5) A USCA event is fine with me, but there really aren't any centrally located. You could do the East/West thing again and have a travel fund. They do have a group rate to get an entry discount of $100/per. That could be set aside for the travel fund. This is probably the easiest since the event will be organized and we would simply be running an event within an event. Since it would be 2015, we'll have to see if the series is still alive next year.

After all that, the scenario I would like to see is a East/West dedicated Mopar event for all body lines. Travel Fund for each body line to send the winner to the other side of the country. Minimum travel fund would be $1,500 and max $2k. Have some kind of graduated scale based on car count and/or sponsor funding. This would have a primary focus on the "major" lines... A, B, E and LX. The others are more than welcome to participate, just get the count up enough to fund the travel for the winner, or bring a sponsor to fund it.

This scenario would allow a fairly central point for each coast to have their event. Yes, it would be a dedicated track day(s) and I would plan on a budget similar to USCA of around $500 including the contribution to the travel fund. I would use the Motorstate Challenge as an example of a good event...

Day 1 - Afternoon/Evening meet and greet, food, shop tour if something is close

Day 2 - Week day open track event (cheapest option and easiest to schedule)

Day 3 - Autocross and awards

Typically this would mean 2 days off work, but you could skip the evening and show up at the track. I like to travel on Thursday morning, track on Friday, Autocross Saturday and then travel home on Sunday. Makes for a decent work day on Monday and not dead when you roll in at 2am from the late night haul. I would like to have an event within 12 hours of the participants if possible.

Let me know thoughts on the ideas. Let's keep it "big picture" and try not to get mired down in any minor details at this stage.

Re: A-Body Shootout Thread -Who's in & What have you got? [Re: Consulier] #1643862
07/08/14 01:35 PM
07/08/14 01:35 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
J

Bitopia
I like #3, central location for initial event, AND IMO it should just be open to all body styles, the bigger cars with bigger motors will have some advantages in road course and the smaller cars will have some on AX, etc. Its mainly just fun, a chance to measure one's car, but mainly have fun, with bragging rights as dessert, right?

Being initially over ambitious might sink the whole idea, which sound good.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: A-Body Shootout Thread -Who's in & What have you got? [Re: jcc] #1643863
07/08/14 02:18 PM
07/08/14 02:18 PM
Santa Fe Springs, CA
Dan@Hotchkis Offline
super stock
Dan@Hotchkis  Offline
super stock

Santa Fe Springs, CA
East coast event and West Coast event would be the way to do it, IMO. Piggy back on something big and fun like MATS and Carlisle, so no one has an excuse to not show. Linking in stootout for suspension companies makes it easier to generate sponsorship/press and funds. Has to include all other Bodies to be successful, IMO. A bodies are an extreme minority.

Re: A-Body Shootout Thread -Who's in & What have you got? [Re: Consulier] #1643864
07/08/14 02:26 PM
07/08/14 02:26 PM
Houston Tx
Uhcoog1 Offline
super stock
Uhcoog1  Offline
super stock

Houston Tx
I like the idea of all body styles. Winners for each category, and an overall winner. Not to mention, there can be some great trash talking and teamwork among the body styles.

I would prefer one event. For me, it's going to be a long haul to either event. Might as well have everyone in one place. Course, if I'm the odd man out wanting one event, then I have no problem with a two event plan. If possible, maybe a 3rd event could come together in the central US - unlikely there are enough interested participants to make that happen though (there's plenty of LX's, not sure about the rest).

If there are two events, Steve already has a West Coast event that will fit the bill.

As far as rules - I'd vote no rules for the first year. Run what you brung. That way no one needs to go out and buy a new set of tires to compete. And because I want to run this set of $450 slicks I have on the shelf.

-'73 Duster, 6.1 based 392 hilborn hemi, tko600, full floater rear 9", Hellwig custom bars, viper brakes, built for road course
Re: A-Body Shootout Thread -Who's in & What have you got? [Re: Dan@Hotchkis] #1643865
07/08/14 02:44 PM
07/08/14 02:44 PM
Houston Tx
Uhcoog1 Offline
super stock
Uhcoog1  Offline
super stock

Houston Tx
Quote:

East coast event and West Coast event would be the way to do it, IMO. Piggy back on something big and fun like MATS and Carlisle, so no one has an excuse to not show. Linking in stootout for suspension companies makes it easier to generate sponsorship/press and funds. Has to include all other Bodies to be successful, IMO. A bodies are an extreme minority.

What are the large mopar events already sponsored by Hotchkis?

MATS
Carlisle
Spring Fling
???

Re: A-Body Shootout Thread -Who's in & What have you got? [Re: Uhcoog1] #1643866
07/08/14 02:55 PM
07/08/14 02:55 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

Quote:

What are the large mopar events already sponsored by Hotchkis?

MATS
Carlisle
Spring Fling
???

Spring Fling has never been sponsored by Hotchkis.

I don't think the MATS autocross is sponsored by Hotchkis anymore, but IIRC Dan heads organization of the autocross there.

The Carlise and MATS autocrosses are condensed like they have at Goodguys shows as opposed to tradiational SCCA regional autocross events. They get a lot of specatators and get new people to try it out because they are held within the confines of the respective events. A very neat display of what some of these cars can do.

Re: A-Body Shootout Thread -Who's in & What have you got? [Re: autoxcuda] #1643867
07/08/14 03:22 PM
07/08/14 03:22 PM
Santa Fe Springs, CA
Dan@Hotchkis Offline
super stock
Dan@Hotchkis  Offline
super stock

Santa Fe Springs, CA
Exactly. This year Hotchkis is running it's own Autocross series with the NMCA at Fontana,CA and the Carlisle event. For what we are talking about here, I'd rather meet at the show(s) in a car corral, do a 100 mile Road Rally to a track, and have at it for the day, then rally back to the corral.
Classes:
A,B, E Bodies
Modern (LX/ guys)
Viper
Other (Truck, C Body, F,M,J, etc)

The toughest sell is on participation. This would need 6 months of lead time and a LOT of hyping. Event with all that, I would be impressed if we had 20-30 cars. Everyone talks a big game until it's time to throw hats in the ring, then everyone has got an excuse.

Re: A-Body Shootout Thread -Who's in & What have you got? [Re: Dan@Hotchkis] #1643868
07/08/14 05:06 PM
07/08/14 05:06 PM
Houston Tx
Uhcoog1 Offline
super stock
Uhcoog1  Offline
super stock

Houston Tx
Quote:

The toughest sell is on participation. This would need 6 months of lead time and a LOT of hyping. Event with all that, I would be impressed if we had 20-30 cars. Everyone talks a big game until it's time to throw hats in the ring, then everyone has got an excuse.

If it's that difficult to pull off a larger event, then let's just go back to a simple track rental with just the guys who regularly run their cars.

Course, if anybody can pull it off, it's you Dan. I vote you the event organizer.

Re: A-Body Shootout Thread -Who's in & What have you got? [Re: autoxcuda] #1643869
07/08/14 05:22 PM
07/08/14 05:22 PM
Mesa, Arizona
D
dart4forte Offline
I Live Here
dart4forte  Offline
I Live Here
D

Mesa, Arizona
Quote:

Spring Fling has hosted a Mopar themed track day for the last 9 years. We invite all Mopars. Lots of Moparts members attend. The track is allready rented, cornerwokers paid for, etc. We even have track instuctors for novices or to get newcomers to the track up to speed quickly.

We'd gladly welcome any others that wish to attend. There's lots of comaderie and helpfulness with people with a common goal.

The event is held on Thursday before the Spring Fling Mopar event that offers many other activities. On Friday morning we have a free Malibu driving cruise through the mountains and a free kick off party Friday night. There is a free all-mopar cruise-in Saturday night.

I realize So Cal is not in the center of the country, but no location is perfect. Remember, a location halfway between two people is close for no one.

Seems the participation at the SF event stays about the same each year. I remember the Buttonwillow event several years ago. There were a lot of cars there for that event.

Re: A-Body Shootout Thread -Who's in & What have you got? [Re: Uhcoog1] #1643870
07/08/14 06:29 PM
07/08/14 06:29 PM
Santa Fe Springs, CA
Dan@Hotchkis Offline
super stock
Dan@Hotchkis  Offline
super stock

Santa Fe Springs, CA
Quote:

Quote:

If it's that difficult to pull off a larger event, then let's just go back to a simple track rental with just the guys who regularly run their cars.

Course, if anybody can pull it off, it's you Dan. I vote you the event organizer.

I appreciate the vote of confidence. Let me talk to some folks and see what it would take. The best thing to do is for us to piggy back a bigger event. I like the idea of MATS (if it happens next year) because LVMS has several tracks and it would be a hell of an event to have autocross, drag racing AND a wheel to wheel road race with Mopars. It would be too cool.

Re: A-Body Shootout Thread -Who's in & What have you got? [Re: Dan@Hotchkis] #1643871
07/08/14 06:49 PM
07/08/14 06:49 PM
MD
RTSE4ME Offline
top fuel
RTSE4ME  Offline
top fuel

MD
Quote:

For what we are talking about here, I'd rather meet at the show(s) in a car corral, do a 100 mile Road Rally to a track, and have at it for the day, then rally back to the corral.
Classes:
A,B, E Bodies
Modern (LX/ guys)
Viper

Summit Point is 90 miles from Carlisle and an easy drive.
You could see good participation from Viper and Modern guys but A,B, E Bodies would just be a few.

Re: A-Body Shootout Thread -Who's in & What have you got? [Re: RTSE4ME] #1643872
07/08/14 07:12 PM
07/08/14 07:12 PM
Santa Fe Springs, CA
Dan@Hotchkis Offline
super stock
Dan@Hotchkis  Offline
super stock

Santa Fe Springs, CA
Quote:

Quote:

For what we are talking about here, I'd rather meet at the show(s) in a car corral, do a 100 mile Road Rally to a track, and have at it for the day, then rally back to the corral.
Classes:
A,B, E Bodies
Modern (LX/ guys)
Viper

You could see good participation from Viper and Modern guys but A,B, E Bodies would just be a few.

Awesome suggestion! And I agree. We use the newer guys and Viper guys as fodder to help foot the bill, then have our shootout as part of the event.

Re: A-Body Shootout Thread -Who's in & What have you got? [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #1643873
07/08/14 07:42 PM
07/08/14 07:42 PM
Spokane Washington
ScottSmith_Harms Offline OP
Mr Wizzard
ScottSmith_Harms  Offline OP
Mr Wizzard

Spokane Washington
"Fodder" That's funny

Based on watching the Hotchkiss autocross event at this years Mats the cars were not the limiting factor as much as the drivers (inability) to navigate the cones. Sort of reminded me of riding trials bikes, knowledge of the course and ability to use whatever power you needed without over powering the course. In a word, finesse.

Re: A-Body Shootout Thread -Who's in & What have you got? [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #1643874
07/08/14 10:06 PM
07/08/14 10:06 PM
NY NY
340duster340 Offline
master
340duster340  Offline
master

NY NY
i would be in for a <north> east coast event, although may need to take the srt8 while the dart is a work in progress.

Re: A-Body Shootout Thread -Who's in & What have you got? [Re: Dan@Hotchkis] #1643875
07/09/14 12:01 AM
07/09/14 12:01 AM
Nebraska
72Swinger Offline
master
72Swinger  Offline
master

Nebraska
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Classes:
A,B, E Bodies
Modern (LX/ guys)
Viper

Awesome suggestion! And I agree. We use the newer guys and Viper guys as fodder to help foot the bill, then have our shootout as part of the event.

Haha Dan that is classic, I was thinking of an Optima event at the same way with the Chevies being the fodder. Those events have opened the door to allow us regular guys to be able to run on the Bucket list tracks like Laguna Seca/ Mazda and Daytona and Road America. That is why my car is getting a cage, so im legal and dont have anything holding me back. Im gonna shut up and get back to work on my heap now....

Mopar to the bone!!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3