Moparts

A-Body Shootout Thread -Who's in & What have you got?

Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

A-Body Shootout Thread -Who's in & What have you got? - 07/08/14 05:49 AM

I'm in, anywhere within 2,000 miles of Spokane. Road Race, 1/4 mile and standing mile, parking lot slalom, maybe a combo of all, sort of like the One Lap events?

Attached picture 8201542-3.jpg
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: A-Body Shootout Thread -Who's in & What have you got? - 07/08/14 06:08 AM

I am in if I can meet my already self imposed deadline of next spring. I am in the process of assembling another engine and installing a proper cage. I told my 10 yr old earlier we are gonna work on the Dart regularly starting in the morning lol. Waiting on piston rings or short block would be done too. End of month I am ordering cage.

Attached picture 8201558-003.JPG
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: A-Body Shootout Thread -Who's in & What have you got? - 07/08/14 06:56 AM

Spring Fling has hosted a Mopar themed track day for the last 9 years. We invite all Mopars. Lots of Moparts members attend. The track is allready rented, cornerwokers paid for, etc. We even have track instuctors for novices or to get newcomers to the track up to speed quickly.

We'd gladly welcome any others that wish to attend. There's lots of comaderie and helpfulness with people with a common goal.

The event is held on Thursday before the Spring Fling Mopar event that offers many other activities. On Friday morning we have a free Malibu driving cruise through the mountains and a free kick off party Friday night. There is a free all-mopar cruise-in Saturday night.

I realize So Cal is not in the center of the country, but no location is perfect. Remember, a location halfway between two people is close for no one.
Posted By: MuuMuu101

Re: A-Body Shootout Thread -Who's in & What have you got? - 07/08/14 07:47 AM

I'm in. I may be a terrible driver, but I'm down. I just need a better engine and trans after I'm done with installing the new rear end, TVS, brakes, and wheels.

I will try to the best of my ability to make the Spring Fling track day this year. I should be graduated. The only thing that would compromise my schedule would be not enough vacation days if I got a new job.
Posted By: Uhcoog1

Re: A-Body Shootout Thread -Who's in & What have you got? - 07/08/14 02:42 PM

Quote:

I'm in, anywhere within 2,000 miles of Spokane. Road Race, 1/4 mile and standing mile, parking lot slalom, maybe a combo of all, sort of like the One Lap events?

List of those lined up on my end:
Wade Koehl (me) in 3G Hemi Duster (Houston, TX)
Rick Ehrenberg in Green Brick (NY) (after spring of 2015)
Peter Bergman in Dart (NY)

Rick said he's on board if not too far. SoCal is too far. Personally, if we line ALL the top cars up, I'll go just about anywhere.

The 'main event' for me is the road course portion. It's what my car was built for. I'm on board for anything else that gets lined up, though. Let's just do the road course first

Rick suggested piggybacking the event on an open track day or driving school.

As far as tracks go- less walls and more runoff is good.

Steve's event in SoCal is a good one, as all levels of drivers could attend. But it may not work unless someone can get the NY cars down and Kevin's Dart from Michigan (?).
Posted By: Consulier

Re: A-Body Shootout Thread -Who's in & What have you got? - 07/08/14 05:00 PM

I am definitely in on an A Body Shootout. I would bring out my Dart and the Brick will get there one way or another.

I see a few different scenarios...

1) Have an East and West coast event. Winner from either event travels to the other. Travel fund generated by all participants to fund the fuel bill for the traveler. If it costs me an extra $100-$200 to support somebody traveling cross country, fine with me.

2) An event for all Mopars to decide each body line. Competition broken into classes by body (A,B,E) and that's it... no other rules on the car, maybe a tire rule to eliminate slicks or something. I think this is the most feasible and could even be similar to #1 with an East/West event. You could draw decent sponsor funding since it opens it up to lot's of vendors. I'm sure we could get MA involved and have something similar to their Drag Race Series. Lot's of options with this one... Open it up to LX stuff and the car count would go even higher.

3) Single event, A Body only, would have to be centrally located. Hallet, Kansas and that general area is the middle ground. Just under the 2k mark from the Northwest and about 1400+ from the East Coast. We could piggyback on an open track day, or probably easier to just get in on a NASA Time Trial event. Might not all be in the same group, but simple to organize. Rocky Mountain Region has events all over Colorado, Kansas and Oklahoma.

4) As much as I want to get a car to CA, I'm not footing the bill to just have an open track day... sorry. If we got one truck to haul 6-8 cars, that might be an option. There would have to be multiple pick up points starting on the East Coast. Bill would still be minimum $1.5 - $2k per car. Again, that's a lot for a track day. There would have to be more in it for me.

5) A USCA event is fine with me, but there really aren't any centrally located. You could do the East/West thing again and have a travel fund. They do have a group rate to get an entry discount of $100/per. That could be set aside for the travel fund. This is probably the easiest since the event will be organized and we would simply be running an event within an event. Since it would be 2015, we'll have to see if the series is still alive next year.

After all that, the scenario I would like to see is a East/West dedicated Mopar event for all body lines. Travel Fund for each body line to send the winner to the other side of the country. Minimum travel fund would be $1,500 and max $2k. Have some kind of graduated scale based on car count and/or sponsor funding. This would have a primary focus on the "major" lines... A, B, E and LX. The others are more than welcome to participate, just get the count up enough to fund the travel for the winner, or bring a sponsor to fund it.

This scenario would allow a fairly central point for each coast to have their event. Yes, it would be a dedicated track day(s) and I would plan on a budget similar to USCA of around $500 including the contribution to the travel fund. I would use the Motorstate Challenge as an example of a good event...

Day 1 - Afternoon/Evening meet and greet, food, shop tour if something is close

Day 2 - Week day open track event (cheapest option and easiest to schedule)

Day 3 - Autocross and awards

Typically this would mean 2 days off work, but you could skip the evening and show up at the track. I like to travel on Thursday morning, track on Friday, Autocross Saturday and then travel home on Sunday. Makes for a decent work day on Monday and not dead when you roll in at 2am from the late night haul. I would like to have an event within 12 hours of the participants if possible.

Let me know thoughts on the ideas. Let's keep it "big picture" and try not to get mired down in any minor details at this stage.
Posted By: jcc

Re: A-Body Shootout Thread -Who's in & What have you got? - 07/08/14 05:35 PM

I like #3, central location for initial event, AND IMO it should just be open to all body styles, the bigger cars with bigger motors will have some advantages in road course and the smaller cars will have some on AX, etc. Its mainly just fun, a chance to measure one's car, but mainly have fun, with bragging rights as dessert, right?

Being initially over ambitious might sink the whole idea, which sound good.
Posted By: Dan@Hotchkis

Re: A-Body Shootout Thread -Who's in & What have you got? - 07/08/14 06:18 PM

East coast event and West Coast event would be the way to do it, IMO. Piggy back on something big and fun like MATS and Carlisle, so no one has an excuse to not show. Linking in stootout for suspension companies makes it easier to generate sponsorship/press and funds. Has to include all other Bodies to be successful, IMO. A bodies are an extreme minority.

Re: A-Body Shootout Thread -Who's in & What have you got? - 07/08/14 06:26 PM

I like the idea of all body styles. Winners for each category, and an overall winner. Not to mention, there can be some great trash talking and teamwork among the body styles.

I would prefer one event. For me, it's going to be a long haul to either event. Might as well have everyone in one place. Course, if I'm the odd man out wanting one event, then I have no problem with a two event plan. If possible, maybe a 3rd event could come together in the central US - unlikely there are enough interested participants to make that happen though (there's plenty of LX's, not sure about the rest).

If there are two events, Steve already has a West Coast event that will fit the bill.

As far as rules - I'd vote no rules for the first year. Run what you brung. That way no one needs to go out and buy a new set of tires to compete. And because I want to run this set of $450 slicks I have on the shelf.

Re: A-Body Shootout Thread -Who's in & What have you got? - 07/08/14 06:44 PM

Quote:

East coast event and West Coast event would be the way to do it, IMO. Piggy back on something big and fun like MATS and Carlisle, so no one has an excuse to not show. Linking in stootout for suspension companies makes it easier to generate sponsorship/press and funds. Has to include all other Bodies to be successful, IMO. A bodies are an extreme minority.

What are the large mopar events already sponsored by Hotchkis?

MATS
Carlisle
Spring Fling
???
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: A-Body Shootout Thread -Who's in & What have you got? - 07/08/14 06:55 PM

Quote:

Quote:

What are the large mopar events already sponsored by Hotchkis?

MATS
Carlisle
Spring Fling
???

Spring Fling has never been sponsored by Hotchkis.

I don't think the MATS autocross is sponsored by Hotchkis anymore, but IIRC Dan heads organization of the autocross there.

The Carlise and MATS autocrosses are condensed like they have at Goodguys shows as opposed to tradiational SCCA regional autocross events. They get a lot of specatators and get new people to try it out because they are held within the confines of the respective events. A very neat display of what some of these cars can do.

Re: A-Body Shootout Thread -Who's in & What have you got? - 07/08/14 07:22 PM

Exactly. This year Hotchkis is running it's own Autocross series with the NMCA at Fontana,CA and the Carlisle event. For what we are talking about here, I'd rather meet at the show(s) in a car corral, do a 100 mile Road Rally to a track, and have at it for the day, then rally back to the corral.
Classes:
A,B, E Bodies
Modern (LX/ guys)
Viper
Other (Truck, C Body, F,M,J, etc)

The toughest sell is on participation. This would need 6 months of lead time and a LOT of hyping. Event with all that, I would be impressed if we had 20-30 cars. Everyone talks a big game until it's time to throw hats in the ring, then everyone has got an excuse.

Re: A-Body Shootout Thread -Who's in & What have you got? - 07/08/14 09:06 PM

Quote:

The toughest sell is on participation. This would need 6 months of lead time and a LOT of hyping. Event with all that, I would be impressed if we had 20-30 cars. Everyone talks a big game until it's time to throw hats in the ring, then everyone has got an excuse.

If it's that difficult to pull off a larger event, then let's just go back to a simple track rental with just the guys who regularly run their cars.

Course, if anybody can pull it off, it's you Dan. I vote you the event organizer.
Posted By: dart4forte

Re: A-Body Shootout Thread -Who's in & What have you got? - 07/08/14 09:22 PM

Quote:

Spring Fling has hosted a Mopar themed track day for the last 9 years. We invite all Mopars. Lots of Moparts members attend. The track is allready rented, cornerwokers paid for, etc. We even have track instuctors for novices or to get newcomers to the track up to speed quickly.

We'd gladly welcome any others that wish to attend. There's lots of comaderie and helpfulness with people with a common goal.

The event is held on Thursday before the Spring Fling Mopar event that offers many other activities. On Friday morning we have a free Malibu driving cruise through the mountains and a free kick off party Friday night. There is a free all-mopar cruise-in Saturday night.

I realize So Cal is not in the center of the country, but no location is perfect. Remember, a location halfway between two people is close for no one.

Seems the participation at the SF event stays about the same each year. I remember the Buttonwillow event several years ago. There were a lot of cars there for that event.

Re: A-Body Shootout Thread -Who's in & What have you got? - 07/08/14 10:29 PM

Quote:

Quote:

If it's that difficult to pull off a larger event, then let's just go back to a simple track rental with just the guys who regularly run their cars.

Course, if anybody can pull it off, it's you Dan. I vote you the event organizer.

I appreciate the vote of confidence. Let me talk to some folks and see what it would take. The best thing to do is for us to piggy back a bigger event. I like the idea of MATS (if it happens next year) because LVMS has several tracks and it would be a hell of an event to have autocross, drag racing AND a wheel to wheel road race with Mopars. It would be too cool.
Posted By: RTSE4ME

Re: A-Body Shootout Thread -Who's in & What have you got? - 07/08/14 10:49 PM

Quote:

For what we are talking about here, I'd rather meet at the show(s) in a car corral, do a 100 mile Road Rally to a track, and have at it for the day, then rally back to the corral.
Classes:
A,B, E Bodies
Modern (LX/ guys)
Viper

Summit Point is 90 miles from Carlisle and an easy drive.
You could see good participation from Viper and Modern guys but A,B, E Bodies would just be a few.

Re: A-Body Shootout Thread -Who's in & What have you got? - 07/08/14 11:12 PM

Quote:

Quote:

For what we are talking about here, I'd rather meet at the show(s) in a car corral, do a 100 mile Road Rally to a track, and have at it for the day, then rally back to the corral.
Classes:
A,B, E Bodies
Modern (LX/ guys)
Viper

You could see good participation from Viper and Modern guys but A,B, E Bodies would just be a few.

Awesome suggestion! And I agree. We use the newer guys and Viper guys as fodder to help foot the bill, then have our shootout as part of the event.

Re: A-Body Shootout Thread -Who's in & What have you got? - 07/08/14 11:42 PM

"Fodder" That's funny

Based on watching the Hotchkiss autocross event at this years Mats the cars were not the limiting factor as much as the drivers (inability) to navigate the cones. Sort of reminded me of riding trials bikes, knowledge of the course and ability to use whatever power you needed without over powering the course. In a word, finesse.
Posted By: 340duster340

Re: A-Body Shootout Thread -Who's in & What have you got? - 07/09/14 02:06 AM

i would be in for a <north> east coast event, although may need to take the srt8 while the dart is a work in progress.

Re: A-Body Shootout Thread -Who's in & What have you got? - 07/09/14 04:01 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Classes:
A,B, E Bodies
Modern (LX/ guys)
Viper

Awesome suggestion! And I agree. We use the newer guys and Viper guys as fodder to help foot the bill, then have our shootout as part of the event.

Haha Dan that is classic, I was thinking of an Optima event at the same way with the Chevies being the fodder. Those events have opened the door to allow us regular guys to be able to run on the Bucket list tracks like Laguna Seca/ Mazda and Daytona and Road America. That is why my car is getting a cage, so im legal and dont have anything holding me back. Im gonna shut up and get back to work on my heap now....
Posted By: 68cuda440

Re: A-Body Shootout Thread -Who's in & What have you got? - 07/09/14 05:05 AM

Quote:

That is why my car is getting a cage, so im legal and dont have anything holding me back.

What would my car need to be allowed to run? A roll bar? 6 point? 8 point? 10 point? I don't want a car that I have to wear a helmet to take it to work or for a cruise. Can true street cars participate?

I would like to go, provided the car is running and driving by then (highly possible). I am not looking to make any attempt to win a shootout, but I would love to have an opportunity to run my car. Would the event be friendly for those of us who have actual street cars that do not have cages? I am not much for being a spectator.

-Michael

Re: A-Body Shootout Thread -Who's in & What have you got? - 07/09/14 05:09 AM

Quote:

Quote:

That is why my car is getting a cage, so im legal and dont have anything holding me back.

What would my car need to be allowed to run? A roll bar? 6 point? 8 point? 10 point? I don't want a car that I have to wear a helmet to take it to work or for a cruise. Can true street cars participate?

I would like to go, provided the car is running and driving by then (highly possible). I am not looking to make any attempt to win a shootout, but I would love to have an opportunity to run my car. Would the event be friendly for those of us who have actual street cars that do not have cages? I am not much for being a spectator.

-Michael

I believe the Optima rules say a rollbar is mandatory. Im just going with a cage for the chassis stiffening benefits and the fact that watching Kevins car come together has made me overflow with ideas.

Re: A-Body Shootout Thread -Who's in & What have you got? - 07/09/14 06:14 AM

Quote:

I believe the Optima rules say a rollbar is mandatory.

http://www.optimabatteries.com/en-us/experience/optima-invitational/rules/official-ousci-rules/

Only thing I found on the website was that they are mandatory on convertibles and allowed on other cars. If your car is fast enough to be competitive for this event you probably should have a cage...

Sounds like the national challenge event is by invitation only, car must have been displayed at SEMA and you have to be a member of their insider club and display their advertising on your car.

-Michael

Re: A-Body Shootout Thread -Who's in & What have you got? - 07/09/14 06:36 AM

I could've swore I read it for the USCA rules but its not in there. I also thought I read in there that rear discs were mandatory too. I have been wrong before too Mike.

Re: A-Body Shootout Thread -Who's in & What have you got? - 07/09/14 12:22 PM

Quote:

I could've swore I read it for the USCA rules but its not in there. I also thought I read in there that rear discs were mandatory too. I have been wrong before too Mike.

You are mixing American Streetcar Series rules and USCA together. USCA requires a harness for the fastest group, no bar or cage requirements. American Streetcar has some cage and brake rules which are pretty poorly planned out.

Re: A-Body Shootout Thread -Who's in & What have you got? - 07/09/14 12:27 PM

Quote:

Only thing I found on the website was that they are mandatory on convertibles and allowed on other cars. If your car is fast enough to be competitive for this event you probably should have a cage...

Sounds like the national challenge event is by invitation only, car must have been displayed at SEMA and you have to be a member of their insider club and display their advertising on your car.

-Michael

You don't need a cage to be competitive. Just have good three point belts, or a harness properly mounted.

I like the "insider club" comment. That's funny...

Re: A-Body Shootout Thread -Who's in & What have you got? - 07/10/14 03:30 AM

Quote:

You don't need a cage to be competitive. Just have good three point belts, or a harness properly mounted.

Wow! I may actually be allowed to run my car! Just thinking if the car was super fast probably SHOULD have a cage even if the rules did not specify.

Quote:

I like the "insider club" comment. That's funny...

Yes, thanks, I have a well developed sense of humor, you need one where I work.

Seriously though, rules include: Member of "Power Pack Nation", probably just sign up on their website.

With the SEMA clause and some of the other rules it seems almost like it is a competition for the builders and people on the "inside" so to speak.

-Michael
Posted By: TC@HP2

Re: A-Body Shootout Thread -Who's in & What have you got? - 07/10/14 04:00 PM

Well, by throwing SEMA in there, they have the ability to keep it an invitation only, and maintain its "ultimate" status. The whole point of the USCR is to EXCLUDE average cars that most of us would have so we look at them in inspiration instead of thinking "mine is better."
Posted By: amxautox

Re: A-Body Shootout Thread -Who's in & What have you got? - 07/10/14 04:37 PM

"mine IS better"

Re: A-Body Shootout Thread -Who's in & What have you got? - 07/10/14 05:28 PM

Quote:

Well, by throwing SEMA in there, they have the ability to keep it an invitation only, and maintain its "ultimate" status. The whole point of the USCR is to EXCLUDE average cars that most of us would have so we look at them in inspiration instead of thinking "mine is better."

"insider"?, we need to think more "chump car", those guys have fun and care little about "inside", "elitist" or "invitation", etc. The problem arises when safety is the issue, as that can be a deal breaker for some, but a cover for the terms mentioned above, and since it is not possible to ever be too safe, a line has to be drawn, and if ever a bad outcome occurs, everybody is impacted.

Also I think no performance rules for an initial event is wise, other then safety. If this is about being the fastest, my thinking this is not the right get together for you.

Re: A-Body Shootout Thread -Who's in & What have you got? - 07/10/14 06:16 PM

Most tracks are getting more amd more insistant in higher safety standards, Im sure it's insurance related and will only get tighter as we move forward. A lot of the latest safety gear is expensive. Go price out a spec helmet, fire suit, gloves, shoes, Hans device, etc.

And that's just for the driver. You'll need to your homework and get a budget plan, track racing is a blast but cheap it is not.
Posted By: BergmanAutoCraft

Re: A-Body Shootout Thread -Who's in & What have you got? - 07/10/14 06:38 PM

Now you're talking!

Lime Rock - 1:08 on street tires video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M278ne2dVTc

Attached picture 8204068-DartProfile.jpg

Re: A-Body Shootout Thread -Who's in & What have you got? - 07/11/14 03:41 AM

I would really like to see this car on the track.

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...e=0#Post7038401

Re: A-Body Shootout Thread -Who's in & What have you got? - 07/11/14 04:05 AM

Quote:

I agree 100%. I think that guy is really busy building like a half dozen other cars though.

Re: A-Body Shootout Thread -Who's in & What have you got? - 07/11/14 04:14 AM

Quote:

Focus guys, focus... don't wander off topic. "A" body shootout.

Hey look, a squirrel...

-Michael

Re: A-Body Shootout Thread -Who's in & What have you got? - 07/11/14 04:21 AM

Ok, I'll focus, but tell me again why it matters?
Posted By: amxautox

Re: A-Body Shootout Thread -Who's in & What have you got? - 07/11/14 04:26 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Focus guys, focus... don't wander off topic. "A" body shootout.

Hey look, a squirrel...

-Michael

Attached picture 8204623-Muttsandsquirrel.jpg

Re: A-Body Shootout Thread -Who's in & What have you got? - 07/11/14 04:32 AM

Quote:

Ok, I'll focus, but tell me again why it matters?

Maybe it doesn't.

Just would like to see some awesome A bodies for a change. Last summer at the Mopar "mini nats" here in Garland, TX there were only a handful of the A bodies and there were zero first or second gen Barracudas.

-Michael

Re: A-Body Shootout Thread -Who's in & What have you got? - 07/11/14 05:21 AM

Quote:

Invite the owner out. Game on.
Posted By: BigBlockMopar

Re: A-Body Shootout Thread -Who's in & What have you got? - 07/11/14 10:45 AM

But what if he just doesn't want his SS kicked by those budget-Mopar A-bodies?

Re: A-Body Shootout Thread -Who's in & What have you got? - 07/13/14 04:09 AM

I like the old Can Am style performance format considered for initial get together, ie no rules, except, and I know its already been mentioned, but a 200 tire rule would help with costs, keep corner speeds somewhat in check, be easier on the cars/brakes etc, and help keep an over aggressively driver on 200's unwisely chasing a car on 40's into a fast corner.

Re: A-Body Shootout Thread -Who's in & What have you got? - 07/13/14 05:49 AM

I think it would be wise to let the cars run individually for times on the courses, it's easy to get in trouble when the competitive spirit takes one beyond his or his cars abilities.

Re: A-Body Shootout Thread -Who's in & What have you got? - 07/13/14 06:47 AM

It would be nice if Toyo RA1's and R888's were allowed. They are affordable sticky tires. But im saying that mainly because if that was the case I would only need new fronts.

Re: A-Body Shootout Thread -Who's in & What have you got? - 07/13/14 11:37 AM

Quote:

I like the old Can Am style performance format considered for initial get together, ie no rules, except, and I know its already been mentioned, but a 200 tire rule would help with costs, keep corner speeds somewhat in check, be easier on the cars/brakes etc, and help keep an over aggressively driver on 200's unwisely chasing a car on 40's into a fast corner.

Will you be fielding a car jcc?

Quote:

I think it would be wise to let the cars run individually for times on the courses, it's easy to get in trouble when the competitive spirit takes one beyond his or his cars abilities.

If you wanted to run one official time session, I'd be okay with that. I would prefer a time trial style where cars are let out every 5-10 seconds.

I would like to maximize the time on track given the distance I'll have to travel.

The rest of the time I would like to be on track with cars and drivers of similar performance. No official timing, just out there to have fun and run some laps together. That will be the most enjoyable part of the event for me.

Re: A-Body Shootout Thread -Who's in & What have you got? - 07/13/14 02:43 PM

That is my intention, and I agree, max track time, and shared track time, but being balanced with competitive juices needs to be factored.
Posted By: gmachinedart1

Re: A-Body Shootout Thread -Who's in & What have you got? - 07/28/14 04:28 AM

Im in and up for anything
© 2024 Moparts Forums