06/12/14 12:25 PM
CT
GTX MATT Offline OP
master
GTX MATT  Offline OP
master

CT
Quote:

Are your running a 23 spline of 18 spline? I have heard that your problem will happen with a 23 spline, just before the 3rd gear seizes to the main shaft of the transmission. OR, maybe you have a main drive gear that is tight on the main shaft. Just a thought!

18 spline, although maybe its something similar with a different part? I know the gears are bushed.

Now I need to pin those needles, got to feel that heat
Hear my motor screamin while I'm tearin up the street
Re: Engine stalls with clutch depressed [Re: Sxrxrnr] #1631199
06/12/14 12:28 PM
06/12/14 12:28 PM
CT
GTX MATT Offline OP
master
GTX MATT  Offline OP
master

CT
Quote:

While driving car and pushing in clutch to shift gears, is there any indication of engine stalling or slowing of tach rpm reading?

Nothing that I had noticed

Quote:

Will car start in neutral (or any gear for that matter) with clutch depressed?

Yup

Quote:

Does car have requirement for clutch to be depressed to start engine?

Nope, no neutral safety switch

Quote:

When idling in neutral does merely depressing clutch, cause engine stall?

It did on this one occasion I described, but it has never done this and did not do it again once the engine had cooled down.

As far as some sort of ignition related issue, my MSD box is grounded to the engine on the rear of the passenger head along with the factory engine to body ground, the battery grounds on the front of the drivers head like factory. I'm not sure if something could be causing and issue there. I've heard that poor grounds will WEAR a thrust bearing, so perhaps the issue is somehow related?

Last edited by GTX MATT; 06/12/14 12:30 PM.

Now I need to pin those needles, got to feel that heat
Hear my motor screamin while I'm tearin up the street
Re: Engine stalls with clutch depressed [Re: GTX MATT] #1631200
06/12/14 03:39 PM
06/12/14 03:39 PM
Motor City
73Convertriple Offline
73Convertriple  Offline

Motor City
I was having similar issues on a fresh motor trans rebuild w/ 360 4speed with hays street strip clutch setup. One of the adjuster nuts on the levers loosened up causing it to not return to the same location as the other 2 fingers. With pressure plate still in the car I was able to move the one lever with my finger. Result was the pressure plate dragging on the disc slightly rotating the disc and input shaft.
Had to pull inspection cover and fork to look at the levers and diagnose. Since pulled trans, clutch, and whole package out. Deciding if I want to readjust lever stake stud and reinstall or replace as disc discolored (Blue heat discoloration)on the pressure plate surface in the same area as the effected lever. Good luck it took me a while to figure out my issue.

8174049-DARTSPORT08.jpg (94 downloads)
Re: Engine stalls with clutch depressed [Re: GTX MATT] #1631201
06/12/14 09:07 PM
06/12/14 09:07 PM
Northern Calyfornua
S
Sxrxrnr Offline
pro stock
Sxrxrnr  Offline
pro stock
S

Northern Calyfornua
Now sounds like one time event, tendency to stall when clutch so perhaps not related to clutch depression at all. You mentioned heat soak and erratic idle and upon arriving home depressing clutch and engine appearing to want to stall.

Could be anything from mild vapor lock( unlikely unless really hot) to ethanol "enhanced fuel issue,,,very common on old carb powered cars,,,to old cars just being old cars and do what they do.,,,improper carb adjustment(fuel air mixture and or idle speed) timing, bad wiring somewhere in ignition system etc. Does car have AC?

Suggest to check this all out and note if and when occurs again,,,clutch depression incident could have been coincidental and sending you off in wrong direction for cause.

Page 2 of 2 1 2