05/18/14 08:57 PM
05/18/14 08:57 PM
Pa.
EvilScamp Offline OP
enthusiast
EvilScamp  Offline OP
enthusiast

Pa.
I built a 383 for my car tried to start it today for the first time but i have no spark at the plugs.
It has a new Firecore distributor and coil, it has spark at the dist. side of the coil wire but it's not getting to the plugs.
I tried another cap&rotor,coil and ECU and even different wires. I saw it spark twice both blue and one white but none before or after.
Any ideas as to why it's not getting constant spark?

Re: 383 no spark at the plugs? [Re: EvilScamp] #1621671
05/18/14 10:42 PM
05/18/14 10:42 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Quote:

it has spark at the dist. side of the coil wire but it's not getting to the plugs.

You have spark at the dist end of the coil wire when you hold it 1/4" from ground & someone cranks it with the ign key, Correct? If I read that right & I dont think I did but if so then check rotor phasing. Eng off, with the dist housing turned so the reluctor tooth is JUST moving away from dead even with the magnet (turn housing CW so the tooth is in effect moving CCW just slightly away from dead center on the magnet) & at that point see if the rotor blade is under or near under one of the dist cap terminals. You can mark the centerline of a cap bulge on the top perimeter rim of the metal dist housing with a sharpie then remove the cap & see how close the rotor blade is to it (the circumferential arc distance not the radial distance). I ain't familiar with Firecore dists but with regular dists it fires at the above point & if the phasing is way off there will be no connection from rotor to cap so the plugs ain't going to see anything. If I read it wrong holler back