Tennessee
H
Hemi ragtop Offline OP
super stock
Hemi ragtop  Offline OP
super stock
H

Tennessee
Just to review, I built a 66 Coronet convertible and installed a 540 ci (4.5" stroke) HEMI with 727 and Dana w/3.54 gear. The car was built to drive and last summer I put it on several trips, through the mountains here in East TN and some freeway 100+ mile trips to cruise ins in nearby towns etc. Although the plugs always read an even light brown and the pipes would actually "chalk up" on these trips, the engine was using an alarming amount of oil, several quarts between 500 mile changes (I am a little anal about oil changes in a new engine). I checked everything, compression tests, leak downs etc. and all was fine. After posting on here and getting several replies to check the intake gaskets, I did. What I found shocked me. The gaskets (brand name paper composition) were glued to the ports with silicone and sealed tight as could be. However, the bottom of the gaskets were SATURATED with oil! You could squeeze them and oil would POUR out of the fiber material! This was causing the engine to consume over FOUR QUARTS of oil in 500 miles. Taking suggestions from this forum, I cleaned everything, checked for proper alignment (feeler gauges showed perfect fit) and installed Proformance gaskets, following the instructions with silicone ONLY on the end rails running slightly up the head. I finally have about 300 miles of driving and pulled the carbs today to check the ports (running a Stage V intake allows a clear view of the ports). They are clean and dry! I have been running Seafoam in the fuel to help clean the deposits that I know the oil left in the chambers and it has already removed most of the carbon built up on the intake valves and totally cleaned the ports. Just to be sure, I ran a clean rag all the way into each port with a set of surgery forcips. The rag was clean in each port, so my eyes were not fooling me. If I had it to do over, I would build the ENTIRE engine in PROFORMANCE gaskets! I am looking forward to putting a lot of fun miles on the car this summer with the top down and not worrying about how much oil is being sucked into the intake.

8148251-DSCN0738.JPG (139 downloads)
Re: HEMI intake gasket leak update [Re: Hemi ragtop] #1621562
05/18/14 07:12 PM
05/18/14 07:12 PM
mi
D
dirty magnum Offline
dirty magnum  Offline
D

mi
what intake gasket did you use this time

Re: HEMI intake gasket leak update [Re: Hemi ragtop] #1621563
05/19/14 01:58 PM
05/19/14 01:58 PM
Akron, Ohio U.S.A.
roadhazard Offline
master
roadhazard  Offline
master

Akron, Ohio U.S.A.
Quote:

Just to review, I built a 66 Coronet convertible and installed a 540 ci (4.5" stroke) HEMI with 727 and Dana w/3.54 gear. The car was built to drive and last summer I put it on several trips, through the mountains here in East TN and some freeway 100+ mile trips to cruise ins in nearby towns etc. Although the plugs always read an even light brown and the pipes would actually "chalk up" on these trips, the engine was using an alarming amount of oil, several quarts between 500 mile changes (I am a little anal about oil changes in a new engine). I checked everything, compression tests, leak downs etc. and all was fine. After posting on here and getting several replies to check the intake gaskets, I did. What I found shocked me. The gaskets (brand name paper composition) were glued to the ports with silicone and sealed tight as could be. However, the bottom of the gaskets were SATURATED with oil! You could squeeze them and oil would POUR out of the fiber material! This was causing the engine to consume over FOUR QUARTS of oil in 500 miles. Taking suggestions from this forum, I cleaned everything, checked for proper alignment (feeler gauges showed perfect fit) and installed Superformance Products gaskets, following the instructions with silicone ONLY on the end rails running slightly up the head. I finally have about 300 miles of driving and pulled the carbs today to check the ports (running a Stage V intake allows a clear view of the ports). They are clean and dry! I have been running Seafoam in the fuel to help clean the deposits that I know the oil left in the chambers and it has already removed most of the carbon built up on the intake valves and totally cleaned the ports. Just to be sure, I ran a clean rag all the way into each port with a set of surgery forcips. The rag was clean in each port, so my eyes were not fooling me. If I had it to do over, I would build the ENTIRE engine in Superformance Products gaskets! I am looking forward to putting a lot of fun miles on the car this summer with the top down and not worrying about how much oil is being sucked into the intake.

Fixed it for ya

Thanks for the trust in advise and support of our products! I generally tend to be on the conservative side when it comes to claims and hype and feel the end user / customer is the true test of any products worth.

To me "Name Brand" means a company has spent A LOT of money on advertising and does not necessarily mean it's the best available.
Do we have the best available? Put some in your hands and you will see and feel the difference in materials. Put them on your engine and you will experience the difference!

Thank you VERY much for the update, now go enjoy your beautiful ride and report back in a couple years

8149070-6450&6452.JPG (128 downloads)
Re: HEMI intake gasket leak update [Re: roadhazard] #1621564
05/19/14 05:53 PM
05/19/14 05:53 PM
Tennessee
H
Hemi ragtop Offline OP
super stock
Hemi ragtop  Offline OP
super stock
H

Tennessee
Thanks! and sorry about that, it was the end of a LONG tiring weekend with lots of chores and I couldn't for the life of me remember the name of your company. I followed your instructions to the letter and the results were exactly what I was looking for. Thanks again, and I mean every word, these gaskets flat out work!

Re: HEMI intake gasket leak update [Re: Hemi ragtop] #1621565
05/20/14 05:09 AM
05/20/14 05:09 AM
sandwich IL
sublimehemi Offline
enthusiast
sublimehemi  Offline
enthusiast

sandwich IL
i have every gasket that superformance make for my hemi
ty

70 charger ,all aluminum 528 hemi 727 cope rmvb,680hp 670 tq,full sequential holley hp efi,full hotchkis tvs,qa1 k and lowers,borgeson steering box cass viper 11.75 with cass s-trac dana 3.54
Re: HEMI intake gasket leak update [Re: sublimehemi] #1621566
05/20/14 12:15 PM
05/20/14 12:15 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
I need to get a set of these for my hemi build that is finally getting down in the next couple months .

Re: HEMI intake gasket leak update [Re: Hemi ragtop] #1621567
05/21/14 10:36 AM
05/21/14 10:36 AM
Akron, Ohio U.S.A.
roadhazard Offline
master
roadhazard  Offline
master

Akron, Ohio U.S.A.
Quote:

Thanks! and sorry about that, it was the end of a LONG tiring weekend with lots of chores and I couldn't for the life of me remember the name of your company. I followed your instructions to the letter and the results were exactly what I was looking for. Thanks again, and I mean every word, these gaskets flat out work!

Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review, it's certainly appreciated
PM me your address and I'll send a couple decals for your toolbox so you won't forget next time you need quality gaskets

Re: HEMI intake gasket leak update [Re: sublimehemi] #1621568
05/21/14 10:38 AM
05/21/14 10:38 AM
Akron, Ohio U.S.A.
roadhazard Offline
master
roadhazard  Offline
master

Akron, Ohio U.S.A.
Quote:

i have every gasket that superformance make for my hemi
ty

And I hope you like them as well.
Thanks for your support

Re: HEMI intake gasket leak update [Re: JohnRR] #1621569
05/21/14 11:06 AM
05/21/14 11:06 AM
Akron, Ohio U.S.A.
roadhazard Offline
master
roadhazard  Offline
master

Akron, Ohio U.S.A.
Quote:

I need to get a set of these for my hemi build that is finally getting down in the next couple months .

John if you have not already, take a look at our website and if you have any questions please let me or one of our Distributors know.
We offer a lot more than just intake gaskets for that Hemi of yours
http://www.superformanceproducts.com/

Re: HEMI intake gasket leak update [Re: roadhazard] #1621570
05/21/14 12:22 PM
05/21/14 12:22 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

Quote:

John if you have not already, take a look at our website and if you have any questions please let me or one of our Distributors know.
We offer a lot more than just intake gaskets for that Hemi of yours
http://www.superformanceproducts.com/

thanks Greg , I've gotten a few Gaskets already from You and From Todd , I'll be getting more.