Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: 71 B Body shuts off after about 2 miles(fresh build) [Re: mopar_man] #1619144
05/14/14 05:12 PM
05/14/14 05:12 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Quote:

it has spark and fuel and compression as it runs strong for the first few miles , then dies .

It's loosing one of those (other than compression). Right when it dies, it has a good squirt and spark when turned over with the key? I know that sounds simple & you've already checked that but keep us in touch. I love the toughies

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: 71 B Body shuts off after about 2 miles(fresh build) [Re: RapidRobert] #1619145
05/14/14 06:29 PM
05/14/14 06:29 PM
Newfoundland
M
mopar_man Offline
master
mopar_man  Offline
master
M

Newfoundland
Quote:

Quote:

it has spark and fuel and compression as it runs strong for the first few miles , then dies .

It's loosing one of those (other than compression). Right when it dies, it has a good squirt and spark when turned over with the key? I know that sounds simple & you've already checked that but keep us in touch. I love the toughies

Robert , so do I, but after 50 years messin with mopars and doing just about everything conceivable with what I could afford, I have no answer for my buddies problem .
He doesn't live close to me and everything I told him to do over the phone , he had already done other than a few simple tricks. I even asked him to do a compression check on the side of the road. The funny thing is that after about 5 min it will start right up as if nothing was wrong. he's not stupid either , he's over 60 and a mechanic by trade . Unless he tears the engine apart to find a ghost , I just don't know what to tell him and feel embarrassed that I can't get something so simple to run.

Re: 71 B Body shuts off after about 2 miles(fresh build) [Re: mopar_man] #1619146
05/14/14 06:33 PM
05/14/14 06:33 PM
tennessee
P
pushbutton Offline
pro stock
pushbutton  Offline
pro stock
P

tennessee
Quote:

A friend of mine got the same problem with his 71 cuda 6 pak . runs for about 2-4 miles then shuts off and can't start it . he has changed everything that he and I can think of . he has mechanical pump and installed new one . ran a gallon can under the hood to eliminate all the gas line and tank . same result . changed the whole electrical system including the dizzy , coil , resistor and tried it on his other rig , everything checks out ok . But his cuda won't run more than a couple of miles . he and I are stumped . it has spark and fuel and compression as it runs strong for the first few miles , then dies . also jumped wiring system direct from battery , still shuts off .
Guess I can't offer you anything that haven't already been said but if you get it right , please let us know .

How hot is the coil when it quits running?

Re: 71 B Body shuts off after about 2 miles(fresh build) [Re: pushbutton] #1619147
05/14/14 06:45 PM
05/14/14 06:45 PM
toronto canada
69chargeryeehaa Offline
pro stock
69chargeryeehaa  Offline
pro stock

toronto canada
I had this EXACT same problem....TWICE!!!
Both times it was ignition related.
1st time it was the coil.
2nd time it was the ecu (stock orange). The ecu problem started out at every 30mins just shut off like you turned the key off, instant off, no stumble nothing, then wait 5-10mins, and started right up. as it got worse it was every 5 mins like clockwork!!, i tired everything i could think of and thought it was fuel related, changed the ecu...problem gone!!
These 2 problems were years apart!!
I also vaguely remember having a problem with the pick-up with the coil problem.....

Re: 71 B Body shuts off after about 2 miles(fresh build) [Re: 69chargeryeehaa] #1619148
05/14/14 06:54 PM
05/14/14 06:54 PM
NO RUST IN AZ!!!
A
azmopar Offline
I Live Here
azmopar  Offline
I Live Here
A

NO RUST IN AZ!!!
Quote:

I had this EXACT same problem....TWICE!!!
Both times it was ignition related.
1st time it was the coil.
2nd time it was the ecu (stock orange). The ecu problem started out at every 30mins just shut off like you turned the key off, instant off, no stumble nothing, then wait 5-10mins, and started right up. as it got worse it was every 5 mins like clockwork!!, i tired everything i could think of and thought it was fuel related, changed the ecu...problem gone!!
These 2 problems were years apart!!
I also vaguely remember having a problem with the pick-up with the coil problem.....

been there with the coil looks good tests good when it gets warmed up the coil gets HOT ,like all the oil had leaked out of it over time. replaced the coil no problem

70 Challenger Convertible 340 six pak CLONE?
70 Duster real FM3 car
65 Dart Charger FOR SALE

#NONIKESEVER

A Real man aint afraid to drive PINK!!!!

67 Plymouth Valiant PILOT CAR 273 Commando 4 spd

Re: 71 B Body shuts off after about 2 miles(fresh build) [Re: pushbutton] #1619149
05/14/14 07:42 PM
05/14/14 07:42 PM
Newfoundland
M
mopar_man Offline
master
mopar_man  Offline
master
M

Newfoundland
Quote:

Quote:

A friend of mine got the same problem with his 71 cuda 6 pak . runs for about 2-4 miles then shuts off and can't start it . he has changed everything that he and I can think of . he has mechanical pump and installed new one . ran a gallon can under the hood to eliminate all the gas line and tank . same result . changed the whole electrical system including the dizzy , coil , resistor and tried it on his other rig , everything checks out ok . But his cuda won't run more than a couple of miles . he and I are stumped . it has spark and fuel and compression as it runs strong for the first few miles , then dies . also jumped wiring system direct from battery , still shuts off .
Guess I can't offer you anything that haven't already been said but if you get it right , please let us know .

been there done that several times , he mounted a coil on the inner fender to eliminate that potential problem , thanks for the help though .

Re: 71 B Body shuts off after about 2 miles(fresh build) [Re: mopar_man] #1619150
05/14/14 07:52 PM
05/14/14 07:52 PM
tennessee
P
pushbutton Offline
pro stock
pushbutton  Offline
pro stock
P

tennessee
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

been there done that several times , he mounted a coil on the inner fender to eliminate that potential problem , thanks for the help though .

Double check how the coil is wired.

Last edited by pushbutton; 05/14/14 07:58 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2