Tri-Cities, Washington
V
VITC_GTX Offline OP
master
VITC_GTX  Offline OP
master
V

Tri-Cities, Washington
I'm trying to install the headliner (6 bows) in my '71 Satellite and it seems like I have a problem. When I put all the bows in and try to stretch the headliner front to rear I couldn't get it tight. I hooked the wires holding the rear bow in and when I pull the headliner forward the space between the bows is sagging down all the way across the car. I measured the space between each bow (1-2, 2-3, etc) and the space between the listings and the space between all the listings are 1/2" to 1" further apart than the bows (when they are perpendicular to the car). I assumed that the bows and listings would be spaced equally (closer than an inch).

I know it can't be right but it seems like the headliner was produced incorrectly. What am I doing wrong?

Last edited by VITC_GTX; 05/12/14 10:46 PM.
Re: Headliner install question. [Re: VITC_GTX] #1619078
05/12/14 01:39 AM
05/12/14 01:39 AM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Quote:

I'm trying to install the headliner (6 bows) in my '71 Satellite and it seems like I have a problem. When I put all the bows in and try to stretch the headliner front to rear I couldn't get it tight. I hooked the wires holding the rear bow in and when I pull the headliner forward the space between the bows is sagging down all the way across the car. I measured the space between each bow (1-2, 2-3, etc) and the space between the listings and the space between all the listings are 1/2" to 1" further apart than the bows (when they are perpendicular to the car). I assumed that the bows and listings would be spaced equally (closer than an inch).

I know it can't be right but it seems like the headliner was produced incorrectly. What am I doing wrong?

How's the new compare with the old liner?

Re: Headliner install question. [Re: Challenger 1] #1619079
05/12/14 01:46 AM
05/12/14 01:46 AM
Tri-Cities, Washington
V
VITC_GTX Offline OP
master
VITC_GTX  Offline OP
master
V

Tri-Cities, Washington
Old headliner was long gone when I got the car.

Re: Headliner install question. [Re: VITC_GTX] #1619080
05/12/14 02:04 AM
05/12/14 02:04 AM
Vancouver, WA
MoparMarq Offline
super stock
MoparMarq  Offline
super stock

Vancouver, WA
Mine ('72 RR) was a 4-bow, so I can't speak definitively. The headliner you got was correct for the car, was it not? I assume there wasn't a headliner made for a 4-door - perhaps the roof on the 4-door might be a little longer?

That's as far as my thinking goes...

Re: Headliner install question. [Re: MoparMarq] #1619081
05/12/14 02:06 AM
05/12/14 02:06 AM
Tri-Cities, Washington
V
VITC_GTX Offline OP
master
VITC_GTX  Offline OP
master
V

Tri-Cities, Washington
Quote:

Mine ('72 RR) was a 4-bow, so I can't speak definitively. The headliner you got was correct for the car, was it not? I assume there wasn't a headliner made for a 4-door - perhaps the roof on the 4-door might be a little longer?

That's as far as my thinking goes...

Yeah, it's a headliner for a '71 Satellite/Road Runner. Not a four door headliner.

Re: Headliner install question. [Re: VITC_GTX] #1619082
05/12/14 02:29 AM
05/12/14 02:29 AM
Vancouver, WA
MoparMarq Offline
super stock
MoparMarq  Offline
super stock

Vancouver, WA
Don't know where to go to from here then. My four bow from Legendary (IIRC) was spaced properly, but I had the advantage of having my old headliner to compare against.

Sorry I can't help more.

Did the 6 bows you have come with the car, or did you acquire them after-the-fact? I assume from your sig that you're pretty familiar, so you'd know that it is a 6-bow car, not a 4-bow.

Maybe someone here with a 6-bow 71-74 B-body can provide you with measurements of the bow sleeve (seam, in this case) spacing on their car. That might provide a clue. Since my '72 is a 4-bow and the only one in my stable, I can't help there.

Good luck.

Re: Headliner install question. [Re: MoparMarq] #1619083
05/12/14 02:42 AM
05/12/14 02:42 AM
Dayton, WA
wesgtx440 Offline
enthusiast
wesgtx440  Offline
enthusiast

Dayton, WA
Did you install all the bows into the side clips and then try pulling tight? this may be causing to much friction and not allowing things to move properly. I have always had luck starting with hooking up the wires and then installing one bow at a time into the side clips and pulling the headliner tight each time. When you get to the front all the bows are pretty well tight and one last even pull should be all that's required to get everything to a good starting place to begin final stretching and attachment. Also one last thing I can think of is to make sure you cut enough clearance through the listing pockets where the ends of the bows come through. Not enough and it will cause the headliner to bunch up because it cannot stretch out to the sides which will contribute to the sag you are talking about as well. The bows are also place specific and should be color coded as to where they go. If they are not in the correct position you will have issues. Good luck and hope you get it installed.

Last edited by wesgtx440; 05/12/14 02:47 AM.
Re: Headliner install question. [Re: wesgtx440] #1619084
05/12/14 06:56 PM
05/12/14 06:56 PM
Tri-Cities, Washington
V
VITC_GTX Offline OP
master
VITC_GTX  Offline OP
master
V

Tri-Cities, Washington
Quote:

Did you install all the bows into the side clips and then try pulling tight? this may be causing to much friction and not allowing things to move properly. I have always had luck starting with hooking up the wires and then installing one bow at a time into the side clips and pulling the headliner tight each time. When you get to the front all the bows are pretty well tight and one last even pull should be all that's required to get everything to a good starting place to begin final stretching and attachment. Also one last thing I can think of is to make sure you cut enough clearance through the listing pockets where the ends of the bows come through. Not enough and it will cause the headliner to bunch up because it cannot stretch out to the sides which will contribute to the sag you are talking about as well. The bows are also place specific and should be color coded as to where they go. If they are not in the correct position you will have issues. Good luck and hope you get it installed.

I did install the bows rear to front while pulling forward, I don't think it's a friction problem. I may need to check to see if I need to cut the listings more to see if the sides are holding the center from stretching out. I currently have ~3/4"-1" of the end of each bow sticking out from the listing. I hate to cut off too much.

The bows were with the car when I bought it but it had no headliner. They appear to be original and seem to fit well but I can't be 100% positive. They weren't color coded.

Can anyone measure the distance between the seams at the center of their 6 bow headliner ('71 Plymouth B-body)? That would help me understand if I have an incorrect headliner (long shot I know).

I'll try and post a picture tonight.

Re: Headliner install question. [Re: VITC_GTX] #1619085
05/12/14 07:05 PM
05/12/14 07:05 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Quote:

Quote:

I did install the bows rear to front while pulling forward, I don't think it's a friction problem. I may need to check to see if I need to cut the listings more to see if the sides are holding the center from stretching out. I currently have ~3/4"-1" of the end of each bow sticking out from the listing. I hate to cut off too much.

The bows were with the car when I bought it but it had no headliner. They appear to be original and seem to fit well but I can't be 100% positive. They weren't color coded.

Can anyone measure the distance between the seams at the center of their 6 bow headliner ('71 Plymouth B-body)? That would help me understand if I have an incorrect headliner (long shot I know).

I'll try and post a picture tonight.

Yes you have to cut the listing quit a bit to get it to fit right. Look how much wider my new one is compared to my old old. I remembered doing that after reading your last post.

Re: Headliner install question. [Re: VITC_GTX] #1619086
05/12/14 10:32 PM
05/12/14 10:32 PM
Tri-Cities, Washington
V
VITC_GTX Offline OP
master
VITC_GTX  Offline OP
master
V

Tri-Cities, Washington
Here is a picture that shows the headliner in, the rear bow is pulled all the way forward with the keeper wires attached.

8142663-headliner1.jpg (349 downloads)
Re: Headliner install question. [Re: VITC_GTX] #1619087
05/12/14 10:37 PM
05/12/14 10:37 PM
Tri-Cities, Washington
V
VITC_GTX Offline OP
master
VITC_GTX  Offline OP
master
V

Tri-Cities, Washington
Another pic.

In these pictures the bows are directly above the seams of the headliner. If I pull the headliner forward as tight as I can the front bow is actually parallel to the ground not perpendicular. In fact it will lay on the headliner and push it down. The second bow back from the front is laying at about 45 degrees forward the third bow back is about 30 degree forward and it still won't be tight.

Even if I cut the listing back further it still seems like I have too much material between each bow

8142669-headliner2.jpg (276 downloads)
Last edited by VITC_GTX; 05/12/14 10:39 PM.
Re: Headliner install question. [Re: VITC_GTX] #1619088
05/12/14 11:50 PM
05/12/14 11:50 PM
Chilliwack B.C. Canada
R
RUNCHARGER Offline
I Live Here
RUNCHARGER  Offline
I Live Here
R

Chilliwack B.C. Canada
Yes: That looks wrong for sure, have you contacted the supplier?

Sheldon

Re: Headliner install question. [Re: RUNCHARGER] #1619089
05/13/14 03:58 AM
05/13/14 03:58 AM
Lethbridge, AB, Canada
dangina Offline
pro stock
dangina  Offline
pro stock

Lethbridge, AB, Canada
which company did you go with? I just installed a headliner on my 71 runner I bought from year one. The spacing between the bows were so far off and they wouldn't take it back as I had already cut some of the material to fit. I ended up having to drill holes in a different spot on the roof to make it work, I'm still pissed off about it...

Re: Headliner install question. W/pictures [Re: VITC_GTX] #1619090
05/13/14 07:45 AM
05/13/14 07:45 AM
northwest49
F
feeeighteefee Offline
enthusiast
feeeighteefee  Offline
enthusiast
F

northwest49
dry install the bows by themselves .keep them pointing straight up.draw a diagram . uusally a rectangle box with lines representing sections.label a,b,c,d,e,f (6 bows) write down the distances. eg: a-b,b-c,c-d,d-e ,e-f f-g.get a tape measure and measure the distances in the centre of the bows.write them down. now those are what the panel sizes should be. now measure your headliner yu have by laying flat good side up.measure between the seams.if you pretty well off you have the wrong headliner.hope this helps.

Re: Headliner install question. [Re: dangina] #1619091
05/13/14 01:38 PM
05/13/14 01:38 PM
Tri-Cities, Washington
V
VITC_GTX Offline OP
master
VITC_GTX  Offline OP
master
V

Tri-Cities, Washington
Quote:

which company did you go with? I just installed a headliner on my 71 runner I bought from year one. The spacing between the bows were so far off and they wouldn't take it back as I had already cut some of the material to fit. I ended up having to drill holes in a different spot on the roof to make it work, I'm still pissed off about it...

I bought this from Classic Auto and the headliner is marked as being made by REM. Looks like we may have the same problem.

Re: Headliner install question. [Re: RUNCHARGER] #1619092
05/13/14 01:39 PM
05/13/14 01:39 PM
Tri-Cities, Washington
V
VITC_GTX Offline OP
master
VITC_GTX  Offline OP
master
V

Tri-Cities, Washington
Quote:

Yes: That looks wrong for sure, have you contacted the supplier?

Sheldon

I haven't yet. I am waiting to bolster my evidence before I contact them. Hoping someone with an original headliner in a '71 can measure their seam spacing for me.