in a cattle trailer down by th...
G
Guitar Jones Offline OP
Paddle faster! I hear banjo music!
Guitar Jones  Offline OP
G

I got my BD fuel pin and spring kit Thursday and installed it Friday, wow. That was definitely worth the $134 I paid for that. What a boost. It really does drive like a different truck. I'm very impressed.

The fuel pin is very easy to install but the spring is a PITA. Just getting the idle screw out and back in was the worst part. If you are thinking about doing this I would suggest doing it before you bump the timing as just that little bit of extra room would have been really helpful. Just follow the instructions, it's not complicated just time consuming and clean the pump and everything thoroughly before you start taking it apart and keep everything clean.

I turned my idle screw around and installed it from the front of the pump instead of towards the back. It made it just slightly easier to get to. I would also suggest a small flat washer under the lock nut (now in front) to make access easier to put a wrench or a 1/4" drive 10mm swivel socket on it with a long extension. You'll also need a long thin small straight blade screwdriver. Have some one hold the throttle open, engine off of course, to adjust the screw. You can't get on it straight but you can still turn it.

No MPG report on this yet but I got 21 MPG even on the last tank. I'll see what this does to mileage before I put the injectors in.

After that I'm thinking of going to either a low stall non lockup converter or just doing a full lockup converter conversion if I haven't reached my mileage goal but I wanted the performance bump first and man did I get it.

"Follow me the wise man said, but he walked behind"

'92 D250 Club Cab CTD, 47RH conversion, pump tweaks, injectors, rear disc and hydroboost conversion.
'74 W200 Crew Cab 360, NV4500, D44, D60 and NP205 divorced transfer case. Rear disc and hydroboost coming soon!
2019 1500 Long Horn Crew Cab 4WD, 5.7 Hemi.
Re: 1st gen Cummins BD fuel pin and 3200 gov spring!! [Re: Guitar Jones] #1612330
04/26/14 03:53 PM
04/26/14 03:53 PM
Canada
L
Lugnutz Offline
pro stock
Lugnutz  Offline
pro stock
L

Canada
Quote:

I got my BD fuel pin and spring kit Thursday and installed it Friday, wow. That was definitely worth the $134 I paid for that. What a boost. It really does drive like a different truck. I'm very impressed.

The fuel pin is very easy to install but the spring is a PITA. Just getting the idle screw out and back in was the worst part. If you are thinking about doing this I would suggest doing it before you bump the timing as just that little bit of extra room would have been really helpful. Just follow the instructions, it's not complicated just time consuming and clean the pump and everything thoroughly before you start taking it apart and keep everything clean.

I turned my idle screw around and installed it from the front of the pump instead of towards the back. It made it just slightly easier to get to. I would also suggest a small flat washer under the lock nut (now in front) to make access easier to put a wrench or a 1/4" drive 10mm swivel socket on it with a long extension. You'll also need a long thin small straight blade screwdriver. Have some one hold the throttle open, engine off of course, to adjust the screw. You can't get on it straight but you can still turn it.

No MPG report on this yet but I got 21 MPG even on the last tank. I'll see what this does to mileage before I put the injectors in.

After that I'm thinking of going to either a low stall non lockup converter or just doing a full lockup converter conversion if I haven't reached my mileage goal but I wanted the performance bump first and man did I get it.

You will need to do something with the tranny with your new found power and performance. That stock unit is not going to hold up.....DAMHIK!

Re: 1st gen Cummins BD fuel pin and 3200 gov spring!! [Re: Lugnutz] #1612331
04/26/14 04:17 PM
04/26/14 04:17 PM
G
Guitar Jones Offline OP
Guitar Jones  Offline OP
G

Quote:

Quote:

You will need to do something with the tranny with your new found power and performance. That stock unit is not going to hold up.....DAMHIK!

I generally drive the truck very easy but I have the power now if I need it. I haven't towed with it yet and when I do it will only be about 5000 pounds of car and open car trailer so I'm not too worried, yet. But yeah more cooler, a better converter, some more valve body mods (I've already turned up the pressure) and I have the overhaul kit with new style clutches for the OD so it gets about 20 of them.

I need to hit up my protégé at the Dodge dealer across the street to see what he has in stock.

'92 D250 Club Cab CTD, 47RH conversion, pump tweaks, injectors, rear disc and hydroboost conversion.
'74 W200 Crew Cab 360, NV4500, D44, D60 and NP205 divorced transfer case. Rear disc and hydroboost coming soon!
Re: 1st gen Cummins BD fuel pin and 3200 gov spring!! [Re: Guitar Jones] #1612332
04/26/14 09:34 PM
04/26/14 09:34 PM
British Columbia
C
chrisf Offline
master
chrisf  Offline
master
C

British Columbia
now get on that full power screw. that's another fun one

Re: 1st gen Cummins BD fuel pin and 3200 gov spring!! [Re: Lugnutz] #1612333
04/26/14 11:25 PM
04/26/14 11:25 PM
PORT ALBERNI , BC., CANADA
superwrench Offline
master
superwrench  Offline
master

PORT ALBERNI , BC., CANADA
That A518 is tough....I'd put it up against ANY of the RH's or RE's anyday. I put a crap load of BD stuff in my 92...HP pump, injectors, turbo...etc.,etc. Only problems I ever had was high EGT's from all the fuel....Trans worked flawlessly for as long as I owned it. A much bigger trans cooler is obviously the ticket....keep it cool. The biggest problem with those old trucks is the smallish radiator. If you could get something even 20% bigger, it would make a HUGE difference.
And then there's the "NUT" behind the wheel.....common sense when under full boost will go a long way as far as longetivity.

Re: 1st gen Cummins BD fuel pin and 3200 gov spring!! [Re: superwrench] #1612334
04/26/14 11:50 PM
04/26/14 11:50 PM
British Columbia
C
chrisf Offline
master
chrisf  Offline
master
C

British Columbia
my 92 pulls harder than my 07 (until about 70mph, then its over lol)

Re: 1st gen Cummins BD fuel pin and 3200 gov spring!! [Re: chrisf] #1612335
04/26/14 11:55 PM
04/26/14 11:55 PM
Mcallen, TX
SB449VALIANT Offline
pro stock
SB449VALIANT  Offline
pro stock

Mcallen, TX
I get 29 miles per gallon on my 91 1/2 it's got so far 250.000 miles on the odometer i iam pretty sure injector and pump are still virgin....

gilberto

Re: 1st gen Cummins BD fuel pin and 3200 gov spring!! [Re: SB449VALIANT] #1612336
04/27/14 11:12 AM
04/27/14 11:12 AM
G
Guitar Jones Offline OP
Guitar Jones  Offline OP
G

Quote:

I get 29 miles per gallon on my 91 1/2 it's got so far 250.000 miles on the odometer i iam pretty sure injector and pump are still virgin....

gilberto

I had an 89 back in, well, 89 with the Getrag 5 speed in it and that truck got well into 20's even pulling an open car trailer.