Penguin Country
M
moepwr Offline OP
super stock
moepwr  Offline OP
super stock
M

Penguin Country
I have 440 with TTI headers and a mini-starter from a newer truck. This is in a 69 roadrunner. How do you guy run your starter wires to keep them away from the headers? Any pictures?

Thanks for the help.

Dean

1969 Road Runner Bench seat, four speed 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 http://picasaweb.google.com/moeville
Re: starter wiring with headers [Re: moepwr] #161035
12/04/08 12:43 PM
12/04/08 12:43 PM
Indiana
P
Pentastar440 Offline
mopar
Pentastar440  Offline
mopar
P

Indiana
Dean , Here's what I did on my '65 Belvedere. I used a mini starter. Removed the adapter for more clearance so it wouldn't hit the block. Then run a strap across the terminals on the starter from the solenoid to the starter so that it is on all the time. Then what you need is a Jeep relay. It looks like a Ford starter relay but it has an extra terminal for your neutral safety switch. Go to NAPA and ask for ECH-ST83 . On the ST83 run your battery cable to one side and run a cable to the starter on the other side. This way you only have one wire going to the starter. This wire is only hot when cranking the engine. You will eliminate your original starter relay. You should have a brown wire that goes to the neutral safety switch, run that wire to the small terminal on the front side of the ST83 . This makes a great setup and should give you a trouble free starter. I mounted the ST83 on the firewall and ran the single starter wire down the back of the engine and put a clamp on one of the bell housing bolts to hold it secure. If you need more help let me know.

'65 Belvedere II - 446-Indy,727 transbrake,Dana 4.56

'38 Plymouth 4Dr - 408SixPack, A518, Dana60 4:10
Re: starter wiring with headers [Re: moepwr] #161036
12/04/08 01:03 PM
12/04/08 01:03 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

And use something like this stuff just to be safe. It comes in different sizes. Snip the length you need and zip tie at the ends.

Heat Sleeve

Sid

Re: starter wiring with headers [Re: Pentastar440] #161037
12/04/08 01:07 PM
12/04/08 01:07 PM
North Riverside IL & Lowell IN
GTXKen Offline
super gas
GTXKen  Offline
super gas

North Riverside IL & Lowell IN
Quote:

Dean , Here's what I did on my '65 Belvedere. I used a mini starter. Removed the adapter for more clearance so it wouldn't hit the block. Then run a strap across the terminals on the starter from the solenoid to the starter so that it is on all the time. Then what you need is a Jeep relay. It looks like a Ford starter relay but it has an extra terminal for your neutral safety switch. Go to NAPA and ask for ECH-ST83 . On the ST83 run your battery cable to one side and run a cable to the starter on the other side. This way you only have one wire going to the starter. This wire is only hot when cranking the engine. You will eliminate your original starter relay. You should have a brown wire that goes to the neutral safety switch, run that wire to the small terminal on the front side of the ST83 . This makes a great setup and should give you a trouble free starter. I mounted the ST83 on the firewall and ran the single starter wire down the back of the engine and put a clamp on one of the bell housing bolts to hold it secure. If you need more help let me know.

I did nearly the same thing but my battery and relay are in the trunk. 1 big wire to the started thats only hot when cranking