04/19/14 09:43 AM
04/19/14 09:43 AM
Athens, Greece
Pyper70 Offline OP
master
Pyper70  Offline OP
master

Athens, Greece
My friend was spitballing the idea of putting EFI on his 440 after I freshen up the motor this Summer. We saw the episode on PowerBlockTV where they were playing with a FAST EFI on a 5.7 Hemi.

Well a midst the searching I was looking at the real world use of it for myself. I then found myself looking at other options to check ease of use and I like the Edelbrock E-Street setup too. That tablet on the dash has many uses.

I have a 440, 84cc Eddy Heads, and a CH28 manifold. On that I have Dual 500 1403's. I am curious as to the whole installation and what mods I have to do to my car. I wanna keep my Dual Quad Setup. 6-pack style air cleaner. I know I have to update the fuel tank to run a sending unit. I have a 3/8" feed and 5/16" return.

I want to take my car on long drives and I usually keep my foot of it but i am wondering about a computer that learns my driving and adjust through various elevations because I wanna make a Power Tour from Greece to Germany for a car show next year. I can best 15 mpg with my current setup but the mountain ranges and air densities. I wanna be able to push a preset setting on the tablet and go play if I want.

What would you guys suggest? Anyone installed the E-Street system? I know alot of people are running the FAST. Just looking for real world experiences

Family owned 1969 Charger R/T DualQuad 440/727/GVO/3.55s
Re: Blame my friend...Looking at EFI [Re: Pyper70] #1609291
04/19/14 09:55 AM
04/19/14 09:55 AM
Marysville, O-H-I-O
70Cuda383 Offline
Too Many Posts
70Cuda383  Offline
Too Many Posts

Marysville, O-H-I-O
when the Dakota guys go beyond the capabilities of the factory JTEC systems, they go to MegaSquirt. They all seem to like how easy it is to get up and running, and I believe it does have that adaptive learning you're looking for, where you give it a target AFR and it learns how to maintain those AFRs through the RPM and manifold vacuum range, from idle to part throttle cruise to WOT

**Photobucket sucks**
Re: Blame my friend...Looking at EFI [Re: Pyper70] #1609292
04/19/14 10:03 AM
04/19/14 10:03 AM
SE Indiana
K
kowalski440 Offline
kowalski440  Offline
K

SE Indiana
Check this thread out over here...http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,99432.0.html
This is the way I'm going on my 69 Cnet.

Re: Blame my friend...Looking at EFI [Re: Pyper70] #1609293
04/21/14 04:30 PM
04/21/14 04:30 PM
League City, TX
B
BlueGhost Offline
BlueGhost  Offline
B

League City, TX
With the CH28 you have to be careful when selecting throttle bodies. It looks like the EZ EFI V1.0 and E-Street throttle bodies are pretty much the same design and would hopefully fit. I believe EZ EFI 2.0, MSD atomic, and Holley Terminator throttle bodies would all be to long to work with the CH28 carb spacing.

Holley avenger EFI might be another one to look at, it uses the GM style TBI, with the injectors above the throttle blades and is more compact. I don't believe EZ EFI v1.0 or Edelbrock's E-Street control timing, where the Holley avenger can, if that is important to you.

Another option would be get a megasquirt and two of the GM TBI units.

1958 Plymouth Suburban
Re: Blame my friend...Looking at EFI [Re: 70Cuda383] #1609294
04/21/14 08:47 PM
04/21/14 08:47 PM
New Mexico
A
Adobedude Offline
pro stock
Adobedude  Offline
pro stock
A

New Mexico
Quote:

when the Dakota guys go beyond the capabilities of the factory JTEC systems, they go to MegaSquirt. They all seem to like how easy it is to get up and running, and I believe it does have that adaptive learning you're looking for, where you give it a target AFR and it learns how to maintain those AFRs through the RPM and manifold vacuum range, from idle to part throttle cruise to WOT

Not all of em....

2001 Dodge Dakota
408 All Motor
11.27 @ 117.83 mph
2017 NM Mopar Challenge Series Champion.
Re: Blame my friend...Looking at EFI [Re: Adobedude] #1609295
04/21/14 11:38 PM
04/21/14 11:38 PM
IN
A
ahy Offline
master
ahy  Offline
master
A

IN
I run the early version FAST XFI on my 400/496.

As a general comment, any system out there will handle altitude and temperature changes in stride since they use manifold absolute pressure as a key input. More altitude means less pressure and fueling gets adjusted accordingly. No fuss.

As another general comment, a fuel system that is reliable, quiet and lets you use full tank capacity takes some effort. EFI pumps do not like to "suck" much at all. Any meaningful restriction on the suction side can cause cavitation, noise and short pump life. Also, since there is no fuel stored in the carb bowl, even a very brief "uncovered pickup event" can cause lean or power loss. Robust systems I know of are 1) weld in sump in tank bottom with large and short (1/2" minimum) line feeding the external pump mounted low 2) In tank pump. There are options to convert a stock style tank or custom tank 3) External sump. The sump, around a quart in capacity, is fed by a low pressure carb pump with excess fuel returned to the main tank. The high pressure pump feeds from the sump by a short large line.

After the pump, 3/8" supply and 5/16" return should work fine. Before the pump, 3/8" is not enough.

I (now) use the in tank setup... after I had to come home on a flatbed once when the rail mounted pump/stock type pickup failed.

The in tank setup with FAST carried me on a 7 day >4,000 mile trip from IL to CA and back late last summer without issue. Cold start on the first freezing morning of the year at 7,000' in Flagstaff AZ. No problem. Later the same day crossing the desert at sea level and 95 F. No problem.

As far as the EFI sytstem itself goes, the newer stuff generally has a self learning fuel calibration. Enter your target A/F for various situations and it learns its own calibration. This should cut down tuning time a lot. On mine, all fuel calibrations are effectively user entered. Also I can say the FAST stuff seems well made and has been reliable with good tech support. I don't know the others.

Re: Blame my friend...Looking at EFI [Re: ahy] #1609296
04/22/14 02:33 AM
04/22/14 02:33 AM
Downtown Roebuck Ont
Twostick Offline
Still wishing...
Twostick  Offline
Still wishing...

Downtown Roebuck Ont
Does the Edelbrock EFI support laptop tuning now? They used to use a hand held controller and weren't very "tunable" if you had anything with a little hair on it's chest.

I have a Holley 950 Commander Pro on mine and while it's stone age compared to what's out there now, it required a laptop to tune it and could be programmed to switch between different modes of operation.
I would at least want the option of laptop tuning on any system I chose.

It didn't much like my choice of camshaft and refused to idle clean closed loop but it could be set to run alpha N under 1800 rpm and problem solved.

I also found a free program that made the Holley system auto tune. It really helped me to fill in most of the craters in my fuel map but you had to monitor it pretty close because it would keep tuning it till it wouldn't run if you left it to it's own devices. It worked best if you picked a target a/f, drove around until you found the rough spot and turn it on until it was happy and turn it off. It usually took about 5 seconds for it to get right.

There was a company that used to make a TB that used port style injectors under the throttle blades that could flow lots of air and fuel but I can't remember who. I thought it was Promax but I went to their site and if they did they don't anymore.

Kevin