12/03/08 09:53 PM
12/03/08 09:53 PM
Cambridge Idaho
RUMBLON Offline OP
master
RUMBLON  Offline OP
master

Cambridge Idaho
sorry no pics I have to rebuild a website this weekend.

OK, gang, right now my web page is down, but I am building a 38 Plymouth.
I am going to buy this cross member at the advise of Mopar Ron, who is the obvious GURU on this forum.

However, I need some advise on which componants, IE, Brakes, A arms, coil springs or air, ect. what would you do.

I am not cheap and want some deent stuff, but dont want to spend a fortune on looks that wont be seen as this will be a full fendered rig. I want this to be a driver as well that will/ can go across country if need be.

I am also still debating the engine/ trans combo. Wanting a 5.7 HEMI is one thing, but affordability compared to an EFI 360 or something may be best????

what do you folks like. I am ordering my cross member right after Xmas and then want to build the whole front end or buy the parts and get started.

I also want to know if I need to box the frame on this 38 and or would you guys replace the cross member in it with lighted material or better material. ect.

Thanks for any help or direction.

Dave

Re: Help me spend$/ 38 Plymouth front suspension build? [Re: RUMBLON] #160899
12/04/08 01:13 AM
12/04/08 01:13 AM
Escondido, CA. Ron Podsiadly,...
Mopar Ron Offline
master
Mopar Ron  Offline
master

Last edited by Mopar Ron; 12/04/08 01:16 AM.
Re: Help me spend$/ 38 Plymouth front suspension build? [Re: Mopar Ron] #160900
12/04/08 02:23 AM
12/04/08 02:23 AM
Cambridge Idaho
RUMBLON Offline OP
master
RUMBLON  Offline OP
master

Cambridge Idaho
Quote:

I like the 5.7 HEMI Idea but I dont like the wiring harness prices

heres a few things to check out, Dave...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MUSTANG-I...bayphotohosting

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MUSTANG-I...bayphotohosting

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MUSTANG-2...emZ110023596471

Hey Ron, thanks I appreciate it.

Now what steering box and do I need to bx in this frame or am I ok, if so, what size metal do I need. I am going to try and get some stuff ordered after Xmas.

Dave

Re: Help me spend$/ 38 Plymouth front suspension build? [Re: RUMBLON] #160901
12/04/08 09:39 AM
12/04/08 09:39 AM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
I used to own a 38 Plymouth, the frame is already boxed in all the areas you'd consider boxing it.

They say there are no such thing as a stupid question.
They say there is always the exception that proves the rule.
Don't be the exception.
Re: Help me spend$/ 38 Plymouth front suspension build? [Re: Supercuda] #160902
12/04/08 10:12 AM
Chino Valley
RodStRace Offline
I Live Here
RodStRace  Offline
I Live Here

Chino Valley
If your 38 has IFS, here is a visual.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayIS...em=120341270099
You will have to cut off the whole front clip, weld on the new frame clip, and install the MII suspension. Make sure the welds are darn good. The standard steering for this is rack and pinion, so that's part of the design.
Take a look at ride height and wheelbase. If you want to adjust either, this is the time to decide.
There are lots of options for that front end; big brakes, a lower A arm instead of the strut rod, coilovers, air bags, narrower track, lower spindles, etc. Price out what you want.
This might give you more stuff to consider.
http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/suspension-brakes-steering/

Glad to hear you are back to working on that project
Hope you are doing well.

Re: Help me spend$/ 38 Plymouth front suspension build? [Re: RUMBLON] #160903
Thayer, MO
B
bohmer2 Offline
pro stock
bohmer2  Offline
pro stock
B

Thayer, MO
Dave,
Have you checked out the frame you have thoroughly? Are there any thin spots or weak welds in it? If it is anything like my 39 Plymouth frame there is already a X-cross brace in place near the middle of the body. Also, are you planning to just run a relatively stock 5.7L or 360 or are you going to run some kind of a stroker?

The decision to box the frame for me would be based on what horsepower you are putting in it and the current condition. As was mentioned in the previous post here is some boxing already done but you may need to fully box the frame based on its current condition. I would box using plate of a similar thickness to the existing frame rails.

Regarding a wiring harness, for the engine I would pickup a junkyard harness and modify it, or get on ebay with the guy who is charging $200 to modify one.

For the rest of the car there are tons of people offering chassis harnesses with fuse boxes to choose from. Figure out what all add-ons the car will have (a/c, power windows, etc) and that will help you decide which harness to pickup.
Brian

Re: Help me spend$/ 38 Plymouth front suspension build? [Re: bohmer2] #160904
12/04/08 10:55 AM
12/04/08 10:55 AM
Thayer, MO
B
bohmer2 Offline
pro stock
bohmer2  Offline
pro stock
B

Thayer, MO
if you want to stay with the gasser look this is the other option.

Jim Meyer Gasser Fronts

Re: Help me spend$/ 38 Plymouth front suspension build? [Re: RUMBLON] #160905
12/04/08 12:34 PM
12/04/08 12:34 PM
Mopar Ron Offline
master
Mopar Ron  Offline
master

Dave no steering box, the mustang II uses a rack and pinion steering that bolts to the front of the crossmember, they are available on ebay or just about any parts store.
there is a guy on ebay that sells a complete frontend "KIT"
for around $1300.00 but they dont offer a kit to fit your frame, you might try to call them and ask how much they would sell you the KIT for without the crossmember
I'll see if I can find the link to them.....
as already said the frame is pretty strong as is as long as it is not rotted so you wont have to box it anywhere.
you wont need the dropped spindles for your car as the frame has a big rise to it where the crossmember mounts. Ron....

Re: Help me spend$/ 38 Plymouth front suspension build? [Re: bohmer2] #160906
12/04/08 12:41 PM
12/04/08 12:41 PM
Cambridge Idaho
RUMBLON Offline OP
master
RUMBLON  Offline OP
master

Cambridge Idaho
Thanks for the advise thus far. I am actually leaning towards a 5.7 or 360 EFI motor. I want something that done nice and that I can drive cross country if need be. I have 440-6 in the cuda vert and other muscle cars, but lets face it, they are gas hogs, old school and are not cross county machines. I just want some nice rumble/ sound and a ride thats built for the rod look and comfort. If I want to race, I can use other cars.

I plan on electric windows, aftre market air and some add ons. I was planning on a painless harness.

The body is still on the rig. I need to get some items moved out of the shop and take the cab off and blast the frame and check it closely. I have many projects in the way that are also being built, but since its cold, I cant paint for the most part, so its time for the heavy work and frame, ect for this rig.

Keep the advise coming. I am going to completely rebuild my website over the next few week and rename it, so pics will be unavailable for the most part. But when I start, i WILL make a web page like my old ones and document the whole build. I am a novice and will need all the help possible. The good news, I have a huge shop, a plasma cutter and a welder. Oh, and a heater, so anything s possible on a rod.

Dave