Brownstown, PA
F
FJR doc Offline OP
mopar
FJR doc  Offline OP
mopar
F

Brownstown, PA
I'm at a point where I am trying to decide what to do about my fuel tank on my 340. The original tank has outer surface rust but looks to be very clean inside.....never leaked.
A search on repro gas tanks on here indicates that they don't look exactly like the original as they also are stamped for longitudinal straps for 67.
I was thinking about calling my local radiator shop to see if they can clean the original. Anybody have any ideas as to whether this is a good idea or a bad idea?

Follow my Duster 340 restoration progress on FABO http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=225784

Kevin
Re: 1970 Duster Repro Fuel Tank [Re: FJR doc] #1607295
04/14/14 06:54 PM
04/14/14 06:54 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Can't hurt , you could do it yourself if it's just the outside , lots of chemical rust remover of some sort ...

Then you have to find a way to reapply the factory finish.

It's really annoying that the aftermarket chose ot screw it up for everyone else by making the bottom of the tank fit so it fits a tiny fraction of their targeted market.

IDIOTS ...

Re: 1970 Duster Repro Fuel Tank [Re: FJR doc] #1607296
04/15/14 09:15 AM
04/15/14 09:15 AM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Quote:

I'm at a point where I am trying to decide what to do about my fuel tank on my 340. The original tank has outer surface rust but looks to be very clean inside.....never leaked.
A search on repro gas tanks on here indicates that they don't look exactly like the original as they also are stamped for longitudinal straps for 67.
I was thinking about calling my local radiator shop to see if they can clean the original. Anybody have any ideas as to whether this is a good idea or a bad idea?

If it's clean inside, then no reason to get the radiator shop involved, IMO. Either way I would not use them even if it's nasty inside, then it's time for a repo.

I recently cleaned up a used one I had in storage for 30 years. The inside was spotless with fairly heavy rust on the outside. I sand blasted mine after pressure washing.

Then I use Eastwoods Tank Tone paint on it. The paint don't look like galvanizing, but I like the looks and does offer good protection as I have used it years ago also.

Rusty outside bottom.

Freshly blasted before paint.

With 2 larger openings, it not not too hard to pressure wash out the inside. Then I use like a pint or 2 of methanol, swish it around inside and it instantly drys out the inside. Just a idea for you and I didn't give my local radiator man guy any money.

Re: 1970 Duster Repro Fuel Tank [Re: Challenger 1] #1607297
04/15/14 09:42 PM
04/15/14 09:42 PM
Brownstown, PA
F
FJR doc Offline OP
mopar
FJR doc  Offline OP
mopar
F

Brownstown, PA
The radiator shop wanted $250 to do the tank.....forget that. I could get a repro tank but it bothers me that they don't have the correct external appearance. It would be easier to just get a Spectra tank but it's a Mopar restoration and nothing is simple.
I could easily pressure wash the inside. Could light interior rust be removed with a fill of Evaporust or the lemon juice/salt mix? Should the interior be coated with a sealant afterwards?
I suppose there is no way to replicate the external appearance once the outer surface has rusted through.

Last edited by FJR doc; 04/15/14 10:00 PM.

Follow my Duster 340 restoration progress on FABO http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=225784

Kevin
Re: 1970 Duster Repro Fuel Tank [Re: FJR doc] #1607298
04/16/14 01:44 PM
04/16/14 01:44 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

The radiator shop wanted $250 to do the tank.....forget that. I could get a repro tank but it bothers me that they don't have the correct external appearance. It would be easier to just get a Spectra tank but it's a Mopar restoration and nothing is simple.
I could easily pressure wash the inside. Could light interior rust be removed with a fill of Evaporust or the lemon juice/salt mix? Should the interior be coated with a sealant afterwards?
I suppose there is no way to replicate the external appearance once the outer surface has rusted through.

If there is rust on the inside you are going to have pinholes thru the tank more than likely , for now just buy the repop tank and live with it till you can find a good tank that is in the budget. I have seen NOS tanks , but they were in the 'hood of 600 .. I hardly look under the car.

Maybe we should start and email campaign telling Spectre the way the tanks are is unacceptable to be incorrect for every year except 1 ?

Re: 1970 Duster Repro Fuel Tank [Re: JohnRR] #1607299
04/16/14 10:37 PM
04/16/14 10:37 PM
SoMd, USA
135sohc Offline
mopar
135sohc  Offline
mopar

SoMd, USA
Spectra could care less. They are the only game in town so they can make and sell whatever they want no matter how crappy it is because they know there is no other mfg.

none of the 4 items I have used from them. fuel tank, oil pan, radiator x2 were close to the original part. Lots of cutting corners and doing everything to make one p/n cover as many original variations as possible.

Re: 1970 Duster Repro Fuel Tank [Re: 135sohc] #1607300
04/20/14 09:35 AM
04/20/14 09:35 AM
Oakdale CT
gdonovan Offline
I Live Here
gdonovan  Offline
I Live Here

Oakdale CT
Quote:

Spectra could care less.

Being awful hard on Spectra, they are in the "replacement part business" not "restoration part business."

Lots of companies consolidate items so they fit the widest number of vehicles, if you are not in the reproduction parts business stupid not too. Stamping presses are big bucks and have a separate die for a one year only application is not cost effective.

Be grateful there is still making replacement tanks, I have looked at a number of vehicles (AMC) where none were available and you were plain [Edited by Moparts - Family Friendly Site - Keep it clean] out of luck.

"I think its got a hemi"