12/28/08 08:42 AM
12/28/08 08:42 AM
Mt Evelyn , Vic Australia
dartcharger Offline
Virgin Fluff
dartcharger  Offline
Virgin Fluff

Mt Evelyn , Vic Australia
This has to be the BEST thread on mopart's ever....hand's down......Thank you Joe Pappas, My interest was just growing (thank's to my mum) as you were retiring at a guess....early Bob Glidden day's in the Arrow as my vauge memory serves me....im not sure how big the gap was
The ??? what year did you last race a professional race?

Re: Official Joe PAPPAS Q & A Thread [Re: dartcharger] #160670
12/28/08 10:43 AM
12/28/08 10:43 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

This has to be the BEST thread on mopart's ever....hand's down......Thank you Joe Pappas

There is nothing more valuable than gettting these facts, and great stories straight from the people that were right there.

Re: Official Joe PAPPAS Q & A Thread [Re: mgpanos] #160671
12/28/08 05:29 PM
12/28/08 05:29 PM
Howell, MI
M
Mopar Missile JP Offline
Back To The 70s With J.P.
Mopar Missile JP  Offline
M

Howell, MI
Quote:

Thanks for the reply, Joe. Your story about picking up the Colt in CA intertwines with a story from Bruce Meihls from the Rod Shop. Here is the gist of the story as Bruce related it to me one day.

As a new employee at the Rod Shop, Bruce Meihls was excited by the prospect of working for a very successful racing team. He was a “roadie”, one of the crew whose responsibilities included driving the transporter, washing the race car, getting water to cool the car down, pushing the car through the staging lanes, and every other conceivable job to make this team a success. The Rod Shop's first Colt, the “B/Gas" car for Jim Thompson, was delivered semi-finished in Spring of 1973. Due to the commitments of the racing schedule, the time just wasn’t available for the team to finish it. It was decided to send the car to Butler Racing in CA, and have Ron Butler work his magic. Butch Leal had debuted a Butler-built Duster in 1973, and it was very good. So good, in fact, that the Rod Shop had ordered a Dart for Bob Riffle. Thus, the Colt was destined for a trip to California.

Bruce volunteered to deliver the car to Butler Racing, and at the same time fit in a family vacation, fo off to California with the Colt on a trailer behind the station wagon. Bruce was scheduled to deliver the car on Monday, but actually arrived in Ca on Friday night. Not wanting to drag it around on vacation, Bruce decided to go to Butlers on Saturday morning and see if he could drop it off. Upon arriving at Butler Racing, Bruce went around to the back of the building, and one of the overhead doors was open. There were five men standing around looking at a new race car. A Dodge Colt. There was some magic marker on the scoop and door. The hood said 366 Hemi. The door said Mini Missile!
Bruce looked around, and finally someone asked if they could help him. Bruce mentioned that he was from the Rod Shop, and wanted to drop off a car. Imagine his surprise as they gruffly asked him to leave, and bring the car back on Monday! Bruce did return the car on Monday (of course the Mini Missile was gone), and called Jim Thompson (one of the Rod Shop founders) to report that it was there. He also mentioned the curious incident about the “Mini Missile”, and Jim Thompson became rather curious. A call to Dick Maxwell at Chrysler didn’t net any real answers.

It turns out the “Mopar Missile” team had their Colt before the first Rod Shop car was even delivered! In later years, Bruce would become very familiar with the five men at Butler Racing that day. Tom Hoover, Don Carlton, Ted Spehar, Clyde Hodges, and Ron Butler!

Funny story!

Mark

Mark,

I don't exactly know the time frame that Bruce Meihls delivered the Rod Shop Colt to Butler's but the Missile Colt was there for several months during the '73 season with me picking up the car the week after the IHRA fall race at Bristol. Now, I know for a fact that Clyde never stepped foot in Butler's shop. Sorry, but that is fact. Also, Teddy Spehar never went out to Butler's when the Colt was there. I delivered it there and picked it up. Neither Teddy nor Donnie was there during that time period. In fact, I drove Spehar's pickup out there with the Colt in the biggest U-haul trailer we could rent and left the rig out there until I flew back from Bristol to pick it up. It is possible there was another Colt at Butler's that Bruce saw, but I am sure it was not ours nor did he see Clyde Hodges or Teddy Spehar out there at that time. Sorry - I am just trying to make sure the stories stay straight for everyone.

Joe Pappas

Joe Pappas
MOPAR MISSILE
Re: Official Joe PAPPAS Q & A Thread [Re: PC-CHARGER] #160672
12/28/08 05:40 PM
12/28/08 05:40 PM
Howell, MI
M
Mopar Missile JP Offline
M

Howell, MI
Quote:

Hey Stewart, I know it's just a mock up engine in this pic, but any idea why there's such a huge gap between the intake and the head? Even the angle looks wrong. Was there something different about the D5 setup and this was set together here with a standard tunnel ram?

Good catch - you do have good eyes. Make sure to thank your mom and dad for those genes...

Yes, the manifold sitting on that D5 mock up was a Weiand - typical of what we were using at the time. Like Stewart mentioned in his earlier reply, there are tech bulletins outlining the D5 configurations but the angle of the intake & exahust faces on the heads was significantly different which resulted in the mismatch you spotted in the photo. Just about everything on the D5 was different from that of the normal Hemi. To the best of my knowledge, there were only a handful of D5 engine packages ever built. Right now, those parts are in the hands of various collectors.

Joe Pappas

Joe Pappas
MOPAR MISSILE
Re: Official Joe PAPPAS Q & A Thread [Re: PC-CHARGER] #160673
12/28/08 05:48 PM
12/28/08 05:48 PM
SLC, Utah
M
mgpanos Offline
mgpanos  Offline
M

SLC, Utah
The D5 was quite a different breed from previous 426 Hemi heads. The valve angle was much shallower than the D1/D4/D6 heads, which also made the combustion chamber much shallower. The intake and exhaust ports were round (and smaller than the standard Hemi), and had a much straighter shot at the valve. This is what changed the angle at which the intake manifold surface mated with the head (the manifold in the picture is for standard Hemi heads). Also, the intake and exhaust ports were much higher than the standard Hemi, and this is part of what made the D5 Colt front chassis a little different. Notice how low the front cage runners are going out to the front of the frame rails.

Another interesting change was the way the rocker arms were situated on the head, which moved the pushrods and changed the pushrod cutouts in the block to a different location.

Why the D5 heads? Henry Weslake designed them, and he had quite a reputation as a world-class racing head designer. He felt that the intake port was way too big on the Hemi for its intended rpm range, and thus the D5 had a smaller and round intake. And as for the exhaust ports, Weslake raised them alot and shortened the port length, getting rid of that more-than-90 degree bend in the standard Hemi exhaust. Chrysler thought they had a world-beater when those heads arrived, but disappointment soon followed.

Were they successful? Well, yes and no. The factory teams tried them on 426's (not successful), 396's (a little success), and 366's (better, but the 366 had other issues). The ports were just too small, and most or all of the factory teams went back to the D4 aluminum heads. Chrysler went back to the drawing board and came up with the D6 head design years later, the best of the factory heads in my opinion (leaky and porous castings aside).

The D5 heads were most successful at the beginning of the 500" PS motor days, as racers were willing to put alot of work into the heads to get HUGE ports out of them. While the D5 had small ports, there was alot of material there to play with, and some racers even welded in new material to make huge round intake ports for the 500" monsters.

Hope that helps,

Mark

Re: Official Joe PAPPAS Q & A Thread [Re: dartcharger] #160674
12/28/08 06:04 PM
12/28/08 06:04 PM
Howell, MI
M
Mopar Missile JP Offline
M

Howell, MI
Quote:

This has to be the BEST thread on mopart's ever....hand's down......Thank you Joe Pappas, My interest was just growing (thank's to my mum) as you were retiring at a guess....early Bob Glidden day's in the Arrow as my vauge memory serves me....im not sure how big the gap was
The ??? what year did you last race a professional race?

The last time I "officially" crewed at a race was at Pamona in 1978. I had sort of left the scene in the winter of 1975 and gone back to college to finish my degree. I graduated in September of 1976 and moved to California. While I was out there I would frequently get calls from friends who wanted a hand for a particular race and I was only too willing to jump at the opportunity. The last "official" race like that was the Winternationals after Donnie Carlton passed away. Buddy Martin gave me a call and asked if I could give them a hand while they ran their AFX car at the Winternationals. Clyde Hodges was with them at the time. I bummed a plane ride down to the airport across from the fairgrounds and Clyde picked me up in the transporter. The next day, both doors blew off the car while Ronnie Sox was making a qualifying pass. I spent the entire night in the parking lot at the Claremont Inn patching the doors and repainting them with an air compressor that had as much umph as a pea shooter. It wasn't pretty, but it worked. After being away from it for a while it just felt good to do it.

Joe Pappas

4906676-SMFred7.tif (393 downloads)
Last edited by Mopar Missile JP; 12/28/08 06:06 PM.

Joe Pappas
MOPAR MISSILE
Re: Official Joe PAPPAS Q & A Thread [Re: mgpanos] #160675
12/28/08 06:09 PM
12/28/08 06:09 PM
Howell, MI
M
Mopar Missile JP Offline
M

Howell, MI
Quote:

The D5 was quite a different breed from previous 426 Hemi heads. The valve angle was much shallower than the D1/D4/D6 heads, which also made the combustion chamber much shallower. The intake and exhaust ports were round (and smaller than the standard Hemi), and had a much straighter shot at the valve. This is what changed the angle at which the intake manifold surface mated with the head (the manifold in the picture is for standard Hemi heads). Also, the intake and exhaust ports were much higher than the standard Hemi, and this is part of what made the D5 Colt front chassis a little different. Notice how low the front cage runners are going out to the front of the frame rails.

Another interesting change was the way the rocker arms were situated on the head, which moved the pushrods and changed the pushrod cutouts in the block to a different location.

Why the D5 heads? Henry Weslake designed them, and he had quite a reputation as a world-class racing head designer. He felt that the intake port was way too big on the Hemi for its intended rpm range, and thus the D5 had a smaller and round intake. And as for the exhaust ports, Weslake raised them alot and shortened the port length, getting rid of that more-than-90 degree bend in the standard Hemi exhaust. Chrysler thought they had a world-beater when those heads arrived, but disappointment soon followed.

Were they successful? Well, yes and no. The factory teams tried them on 426's (not successful), 396's (a little success), and 366's (better, but the 366 had other issues). The ports were just too small, and most or all of the factory teams went back to the D4 aluminum heads. Chrysler went back to the drawing board and came up with the D6 head design years later, the best of the factory heads in my opinion (leaky and porous castings aside).

The D5 heads were most successful at the beginning of the 500" PS motor days, as racers were willing to put alot of work into the heads to get HUGE ports out of them. While the D5 had small ports, there was alot of material there to play with, and some racers even welded in new material to make huge round intake ports for the 500" monsters.

Hope that helps,

Mark

Mark,

Excellent, thanks.

Joe Pappas

Joe Pappas
MOPAR MISSILE
Re: Official Joe PAPPAS Q & A Thread [Re: Mopar Missile JP] #160676
12/28/08 09:48 PM
12/28/08 09:48 PM
Florida
S
StewartP Offline
Mopar Vintage Picture Guy
StewartP  Offline
S

Florida
half a door

4907274-11a.jpg (347 downloads)
Re: Official Joe PAPPAS Q & A Thread [Re: mgpanos] #160677
12/28/08 09:52 PM
12/28/08 09:52 PM
Florida
S
StewartP Offline
StewartP  Offline
S

Florida
D5 Hagen motor

4907291-Hagenmotor016.jpg (313 downloads)
Re: Official Joe PAPPAS Q & A Thread [Re: StewartP] #160678
12/28/08 10:01 PM
12/28/08 10:01 PM
DFW
M
mr_340 Offline
master
mr_340  Offline
master
M

DFW
Quote:

D5 Hagen motor

Lookie at that tiny little dome! Hardly looks like a Hemi, now does it?

We finally got Stewart to eat somewhere besides the BBQ joint! I had a good time with the Tampa Mopar boys at Logans Roadhouse. If I knew Stewart was going to pick up the tab (again), I'd have gotten the biggest filet mignon they had instead of the smallest.

Floyd Lippencott IV
Re: Official Joe PAPPAS Q & A Thread [Re: mr_340] #160679
12/28/08 10:16 PM
12/28/08 10:16 PM
Wichita Kansas
B Dartman Offline
master
B Dartman  Offline
master

Wichita Kansas
1974 Southern Style Pro-Stock Racing...note the quality of the track...narrow, telephone poles, no guardrails past 60'...

1974 Pro Stock Racing

B Dartman's 71 Dart Swinger in Mopar Muscle (Sold Dec 2021): https://www.hotrod.com/articles/1971-dodge-dart-destiny-determination/
B Dartman's 71 Dart Swinger in Dodge Garage (Sold Dec 2021): https://www.dodgegarage.com/news/article/showcase/2019/04/destiny-determination.html
B Dartman's 71 Dart Swinger early build pictures (Sold Dec 2021): https://s165.photobucket.com/user/Billswild440dart/library/
Re: Official Joe PAPPAS Q & A Thread [Re: B Dartman] #160680
12/29/08 01:27 AM
12/29/08 01:27 AM
Raleigh N.C
H
hemiparts Offline
"Missile Pilot"
hemiparts  Offline
"Missile Pilot"
H

Raleigh N.C
Quote:

1974 Southern Style Pro-Stock Racing...note the quality of the track...narrow, telephone poles, no guardrails past 60'...

1974 Pro Stock Racing

Good ole' down home NC drag racing @ it's best

Joe have you ever thought about writing a book with all these old stories ???

Last edited by hemiparts; 12/29/08 01:29 AM.
Re: Official Joe PAPPAS Q & A Thread [Re: mgpanos] #160681
12/29/08 10:26 AM
12/29/08 10:26 AM
MB,CAN
PC-CHARGER Offline
super stock
PC-CHARGER  Offline
super stock

MB,CAN
Thanks Joe, Stewart and Mark for the explanation and pictures on the D5 stuff. It's great listening to the people who were there making drag racing history.

Re: Official Joe PAPPAS Q & A Thread [Re: B Dartman] #160682
12/29/08 11:56 AM
12/29/08 11:56 AM
SLC, Utah
M
mgpanos Offline
mgpanos  Offline
M

SLC, Utah
I really enjoyed that video, Bill, and what a kick as Lee Edward's Vega pulls the front wheels on the 1-2 shift.<smiling> What track is that in NC? Who had the white Duster that crashed? Was that the Stu McDade car that was blue, right at the end?

Thanks,

Mark

Re: Official Joe PAPPAS Q & A Thread [Re: mgpanos] #160683
12/29/08 12:15 PM
12/29/08 12:15 PM
Nebraska
R
RaceCarRegistry Offline
super street
RaceCarRegistry  Offline
super street
R

Nebraska
I believe the white PS Duster that wrecked was the short-lived David Sox car - Reed in Neb.

Re: Official Joe PAPPAS Q & A Thread [Re: mr_340] #160684
12/29/08 12:24 PM
12/29/08 12:24 PM
ELYRIA,OH
B
blownzoom440 Offline
blownzoom440  Offline
B

ELYRIA,OH
Quote:

Quote:

D5 Hagen motor

Lookie at that tiny little dome! Hardly looks like a Hemi, now does it?

it looks like a P to V check was getting done along with a chamber impression.

Re: Official Joe PAPPAS Q & A Thread [Re: RaceCarRegistry] #160685
12/29/08 01:01 PM
12/29/08 01:01 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I believe the white PS Duster that wrecked was the short-lived David Sox car - Reed in Neb.

4908415-DavidSox.jpg (436 downloads)
Re: Official Joe PAPPAS Q & A Thread #160686
12/29/08 02:01 PM
12/29/08 02:01 PM
SE Michigan
TS3303 Offline
top fuel
TS3303  Offline
top fuel

SE Michigan
Thanks to all who have shared stories so far!

HemiAl_588 and I were having dinner Sat night and we were talking about this thread. We were both at S.V.I. (SVI was the factory race shop after it broke from Chrysler?) with our fathers in the early/mid 70's. We were both interested in cars but as adolecents we had no clue we were witnessing history at the time. If only we had been 5 years older at the time.

Re: Official Joe PAPPAS Q & A Thread #160687
12/29/08 02:43 PM
12/29/08 02:43 PM
Yes
S
sixpakdodge Offline
master
sixpakdodge  Offline
master
S

Yes
Quote:

Quote:

That's it. Maybe David will chime in...

Re: Official Joe PAPPAS Q & A Thread [Re: sixpakdodge] #160688
12/30/08 11:46 AM
12/30/08 11:46 AM
Florida
S
StewartP Offline
StewartP  Offline
S

Florida
It is confirmed, Joe Pappas will be at the Brevard Swap Meet (Melbourne Florida) on Jan.24,2009 --- Stop by and talk to him
http://www.spacey.net/cconnor/swap.htm

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10