A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Thanks Stewart.

The cigar gave Landy away huh...?

Classic pic. Which of course was originally sent to me by none other than Stewart.

Re: Official Joe PAPPAS Q & A Thread #160652
12/26/08 09:20 AM
12/26/08 09:20 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Bill Hartman email this video this morning.

Fons, Carlton, Landy, Sox, Lyles, & others.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBJ2_oQlIUQ&feature=related

Thanks a TON Bill.

Re: Official Joe PAPPAS Q & A Thread #160653
12/26/08 11:38 AM
12/26/08 11:38 AM
ohio
H
HEMIDARTS Offline
master
HEMIDARTS  Offline
master
H

ohio
that video was awesome!!

Re: Official Joe PAPPAS Q & A Thread [Re: StewartP] #160654
12/26/08 11:59 AM
12/26/08 11:59 AM
Howell, MI
M
Mopar Missile JP Offline
Back To The 70s With J.P.
Mopar Missile JP  Offline
M

Howell, MI
Quote:

all but one

Stewart,

I think the ??? was Bill Blanding (sorry about the spelling),

Joe Pappas

Joe Pappas
MOPAR MISSILE
Re: Official Joe PAPPAS Q & A Thread [Re: Mopar Missile JP] #160655
12/26/08 10:14 PM
12/26/08 10:14 PM
Wichita Kansas
B Dartman Offline
master
B Dartman  Offline
master

Wichita Kansas
Google is such a great thing... (Rich Mirarcki?) What do you think Joe P.; might it be Mirarcki?

USRT

4903554-USRT.jpg (279 downloads)

B Dartman's 71 Dart Swinger in Mopar Muscle (Sold Dec 2021): https://www.hotrod.com/articles/1971-dodge-dart-destiny-determination/
B Dartman's 71 Dart Swinger in Dodge Garage (Sold Dec 2021): https://www.dodgegarage.com/news/article/showcase/2019/04/destiny-determination.html
B Dartman's 71 Dart Swinger early build pictures (Sold Dec 2021): https://s165.photobucket.com/user/Billswild440dart/library/
Re: Official Joe PAPPAS Q & A Thread [Re: B Dartman] #160656
12/26/08 10:28 PM
12/26/08 10:28 PM
Wichita Kansas
B Dartman Offline
master
B Dartman  Offline
master

Wichita Kansas
Doing some more digging (google)...appears Rich Mirarcki ran the "Mimi" Camaro and later a Vega in Pro Stock....could this be the mystery name?

B Dartman's 71 Dart Swinger in Mopar Muscle (Sold Dec 2021): https://www.hotrod.com/articles/1971-dodge-dart-destiny-determination/
B Dartman's 71 Dart Swinger in Dodge Garage (Sold Dec 2021): https://www.dodgegarage.com/news/article/showcase/2019/04/destiny-determination.html
B Dartman's 71 Dart Swinger early build pictures (Sold Dec 2021): https://s165.photobucket.com/user/Billswild440dart/library/
Re: Official Joe PAPPAS Q & A Thread [Re: B Dartman] #160657
12/26/08 11:02 PM
12/26/08 11:02 PM
Florida
S
StewartP Offline
Mopar Vintage Picture Guy
StewartP  Offline
S

Florida
that was my memory - Mimi car

Re: Official Joe PAPPAS Q & A Thread [Re: B Dartman] #160658
12/27/08 12:42 AM
12/27/08 12:42 AM
SLC, Utah
M
mgpanos Offline
mgpanos  Offline
M

SLC, Utah
Hi Joe,

Thanks for taking the time to answer some questions about the "good old days!"

1. It is obvious from all of the pictures that Stewart has posted that Donnie, you and the rest of the "Missle" team did alot of thrashing on the small block parts in 74 and maybe into 75 to make the W2 heads work in the yellow car. I heard that the Rod Shop guys were also doing alot of testing in the Thomson C/G Colt on the small block PS engine. As I recall, Bruce Meihls was saying they actually had very competitive PS times in 1974, but the blocks just would not stay together. Thoughts?

2. Do you have any knowledge of the five Colts that Dan Knapp built for Chrysler? I know that one went to the MIssle program, and was finished by Butler and finally ended up with Lynnwood Craft. A second car went to Desantis and Crider for the C/G small blacok car. A third went to Jim Thompson/Rod Shop and was known as the B/G car, and a fourth chassis went to Bob Riffle/Rod Shop, but sat in the rafters of the shop for a whlile, and was then sold. Any idea where the fifth one went?

Thanks!

Mark Panos

Re: Official Joe PAPPAS Q & A Thread [Re: B Dartman] #160659
12/27/08 01:09 PM
12/27/08 01:09 PM
Howell, MI
M
Mopar Missile JP Offline
M

Howell, MI
Quote:

Google is such a great thing... (Rich Mirarcki?) What do you think Joe P.; might it be Mirarcki?

USRT

Bill,

It looks like it is Rich Mirarcki. Funny how some things stick and some don't. The neat little autograph sheet helps tell the story pretty well.

There is an interesting side story to that trip to Washington and to Capitol Raceway and I might as well tell it so that the rest of you guys can have a real good laugh...

I was still working for Fons at the time and we had just taken delivery of our new D800 transporter from Chrysler. The entire rig was still white as we had not yet had the opportunity to get the familar ROD SHOP paint scheme applied as yet. Anyway, Mike did not do too much of the truck driving - he pretty much left that chore up to me. This truck was equipped with air brakes as most of the larger trucks of the time were. It had a 413 with a 5spd trans and 2spd rear axle. Mike was not familar with any of this nor with the two buttons on the dash - one green, one red. Those two buttons were for the air brake emergency stop and for the air brake parking brake system.

We left Detroit for DC in a heavy rainstorm and it was raining very hard all the way. By the time we made it into Breezewood PA we were tired, hungry, and needed fuel. I pulled into an ESSO station that was just off the interstate and started the fill up on the saddle tanks. About that time I spotted a Kentucky Fried Chicken place about 100 yards back up the hill and told Mike that I was headed up there to get some chow for the two of us. Mike was messing around with the windshield wipers as they were squeaking a bit too much for his liking (they were air opperated). While I was waiting in line at the KFC for my order this older lady comes in from the rain and said very loudly "My oh my, did you see that big white truck go over the cliff out there?" I didn't pay any real attention to what she said as I KNEW my truck was getting fueled down at the ESSO station.

When I went back outside with our dinner in hand I did not see the truck at the pumps. I just figured that Mike had moved it around the back to fill up the water tanks so we would not have to do it the next day at Capitol Raceway. Boy was I wrong. As I approached the gas pumps, there was Mike looking VERY concerned and at the edge of the ESSO station property was the back end of what HAD been our brand new truck tilted at about a 40 degree nose down angle over the edge of a cliff with the front bumper of the truck only 20 feet from the plate glass windows of some restaurant!!! This thing was just teetering on the edge like a teetertotter!!! Within minutes there were all kinds of emergency vehicles surrounding us and a couple of the biggest tow trucks that I have ever seen arrived on the scene. It took a crew of workers several hours of using house jacks, timbers, and those two big tow trucks to pull our rig back up the hill and get it back on both axles. Suprisingly, we only ripped off one saddle tank and ripped up the skirting on one side. The thing was still drivable.

It turns out that Mike decided to put some oil on the offending wiper mechanism. He started the truck and started pushing buttons to get the wipers to operate. Somehow, Mike released the parking brake and while he was outside on the running board applying oil to the wiper mechanism, the truck rolled away - without a driver!!! Over the edge it went and the rest is history... For some unknown reason, the car was not damaged at all. Amazing...

By the way, the US Racing Team match race at Capitol Raceway was a real success. Fons did well and everyone had a great time. The air there was really humid but the car ran great.

It seems like just getting to the race tracks was as big of an adventure as the races themselves. That was just the way it was back then. You never knew what would happen next.

Joe Pappas

Joe Pappas
MOPAR MISSILE
Re: Official Joe PAPPAS Q & A Thread [Re: Mopar Missile JP] #160660
12/27/08 01:26 PM
12/27/08 01:26 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Quote:

I was waiting in line at the KFC for my order this older lady comes in from the rain and said very loudly "My oh my, did you see that big white truck go over the cliff out there?"

Now thats funny stuff..............I don't care who you are.

I need a clean-up on isle 5 please.
I believe I have just soiled myself.

Re: Official Joe PAPPAS Q & A Thread [Re: mgpanos] #160661
12/27/08 01:31 PM
12/27/08 01:31 PM
Howell, MI
M
Mopar Missile JP Offline
M

Howell, MI
Quote:

Hi Joe,

Thanks for taking the time to answer some questions about the "good old days!"

1. It is obvious from all of the pictures that Stewart has posted that Donnie, you and the rest of the "Missle" team did alot of thrashing on the small block parts in 74 and maybe into 75 to make the W2 heads work in the yellow car. I heard that the Rod Shop guys were also doing alot of testing in the Thomson C/G Colt on the small block PS engine. As I recall, Bruce Meihls was saying they actually had very competitive PS times in 1974, but the blocks just would not stay together. Thoughts?

2. Do you have any knowledge of the five Colts that Dan Knapp built for Chrysler? I know that one went to the MIssle program, and was finished by Butler and finally ended up with Lynnwood Craft. A second car went to Desantis and Crider for the C/G small blacok car. A third went to Jim Thompson/Rod Shop and was known as the B/G car, and a fourth chassis went to Bob Riffle/Rod Shop, but sat in the rafters of the shop for a whlile, and was then sold. Any idea where the fifth one went?

Thanks!

Mark Panos

Mark,

We did work pretty hard on the 'A' engine package with the yellow test car. The wire car was to have been our 'race' car for the '75 season but things sort of fell apart before we finished the car.

The 'A' engine program worked out pretty well as far as making the car go quick enough. My memory is not too clear on ET and MPH that the thing produced but I know we managed to use up a fair amount of parts that year. 1974 was a full year of testing for the Missile crew. Donnie match raced his own Hemi car with Clyde but for the most part Oldfield and I were totally immersed in the testing throughout the year. As far as what Thompson and the Rod Shop was working on I really can't say for sure - they had some pretty good success with their program but I honestly did not pay close attention to what they did.

Now, the Dan Knapp Colts... Dan built the Colt that I took out to Butler's place during the summer of 1973. THAT particular Colt was built specifically for the D5 Hemi. Because of the head configuration and some other issues, we could not easily switch to a 'normal' Hemi. I went back to Butler's place in the fall to pick up the car and by the time I arrived back in Detroit, the decision had been made to shelf the D5 program and the car was immediately put into storage at the Performance Parts Warehouse in Centerline. I remember delivering the car over there and seeing it being forklifted up onto an upper shelf in the warehouse. Later, Donnie got that car back and cut off the car at the firewall and rebuilt the front structure to accept a normal Hemi. Stewart can tell you better which Colt that ended up being in Donnie's stable.

As far as where these cars went I also do not know. Dan Knapp and I worked together at SVI from about 1981 to the time he passed away in about 1984 - he was one heck of a great guy and very talented car builder. He also built the chassis on the wire car for us.

Joe Pappas

Joe Pappas
MOPAR MISSILE
Re: Official Joe PAPPAS Q & A Thread [Re: Mopar Missile JP] #160662
12/27/08 05:44 PM
12/27/08 05:44 PM
Wichita Kansas
B Dartman Offline
master
B Dartman  Offline
master

Wichita Kansas
Quote:

Mike was not familar with any of this nor with the two buttons on the dash - one green, one red. Those two buttons were for the air brake emergency stop and for the air brake parking brake system.

Classic!! Too funny and glad no one nor the car was hurt. Could tell this story was going "down hill" (pun intended) as soon as I read the above quote! Great stuff!

It's all good on the name recollections...that's what makes this post great. Collectively it's reuniting legends of the sport, tapping into their memory banks, and sharing those times with mopar enthusiasts of all ages; particularly those too young to have experienced it. This is something Stewart Pomeroy has mentioned many times, he recognizes the need to capture this stuff and whole heartedly wants those days NOT to be forgotten Thanks for taking the time to write and share the stories

Re: Official Joe PAPPAS Q & A Thread [Re: B Dartman] #160663
12/27/08 08:41 PM
12/27/08 08:41 PM
ohio
H
HEMIDARTS Offline
master
HEMIDARTS  Offline
master
H

ohio
I have spoken to Stewart on more than one occasion, and he is very passionate about making sure the next generation knows about what happend in the past. This is such a great thing that all of you guys are doing, i happen to be one of the younger guys, and i love learning about what happend back in the "Good Old Days"!
Thanks to everyone who contributes!

Re: Official Joe PAPPAS Q & A Thread [Re: Mopar Missile JP] #160664
12/27/08 10:26 PM
12/27/08 10:26 PM
SLC, Utah
M
mgpanos Offline
mgpanos  Offline
M

SLC, Utah
Thanks for the reply, Joe. Your story about picking up the Colt in CA intertwines with a story from Bruce Meihls from the Rod Shop. Here is the gist of the story as Bruce related it to me one day.

As a new employee at the Rod Shop, Bruce Meihls was excited by the prospect of working for a very successful racing team. He was a “roadie”, one of the crew whose responsibilities included driving the transporter, washing the race car, getting water to cool the car down, pushing the car through the staging lanes, and every other conceivable job to make this team a success. The Rod Shop's first Colt, the “B/Gas" car for Jim Thompson, was delivered semi-finished in Spring of 1973. Due to the commitments of the racing schedule, the time just wasn’t available for the team to finish it. It was decided to send the car to Butler Racing in CA, and have Ron Butler work his magic. Butch Leal had debuted a Butler-built Duster in 1973, and it was very good. So good, in fact, that the Rod Shop had ordered a Dart for Bob Riffle. Thus, the Colt was destined for a trip to California.

Bruce volunteered to deliver the car to Butler Racing, and at the same time fit in a family vacation, fo off to California with the Colt on a trailer behind the station wagon. Bruce was scheduled to deliver the car on Monday, but actually arrived in Ca on Friday night. Not wanting to drag it around on vacation, Bruce decided to go to Butlers on Saturday morning and see if he could drop it off. Upon arriving at Butler Racing, Bruce went around to the back of the building, and one of the overhead doors was open. There were five men standing around looking at a new race car. A Dodge Colt. There was some magic marker on the scoop and door. The hood said 366 Hemi. The door said Mini Missile!
Bruce looked around, and finally someone asked if they could help him. Bruce mentioned that he was from the Rod Shop, and wanted to drop off a car. Imagine his surprise as they gruffly asked him to leave, and bring the car back on Monday! Bruce did return the car on Monday (of course the Mini Missile was gone), and called Jim Thompson (one of the Rod Shop founders) to report that it was there. He also mentioned the curious incident about the “Mini Missile”, and Jim Thompson became rather curious. A call to Dick Maxwell at Chrysler didn’t net any real answers.

It turns out the “Mopar Missile” team had their Colt before the first Rod Shop car was even delivered! In later years, Bruce would become very familiar with the five men at Butler Racing that day. Tom Hoover, Don Carlton, Ted Spehar, Clyde Hodges, and Ron Butler!

Funny story!

Mark

Re: Official Joe PAPPAS Q & A Thread [Re: mgpanos] #160665
12/27/08 11:30 PM
12/27/08 11:30 PM
Florida
S
StewartP Offline
StewartP  Offline
S

Florida
D5 Colt

Re: Official Joe PAPPAS Q & A Thread [Re: StewartP] #160666
12/28/08 12:46 AM
12/28/08 12:46 AM
MB,CAN
PC-CHARGER Offline
super stock
PC-CHARGER  Offline
super stock

MB,CAN
Hey Stewart, I know it's just a mock up engine in this pic, but any idea why there's such a huge gap between the intake and the head? Even the angle looks wrong. Was there something different about the D5 setup and this was set together here with a standard tunnel ram?

Re: Official Joe PAPPAS Q & A Thread [Re: PC-CHARGER] #160667
12/28/08 02:15 AM
12/28/08 02:15 AM
Florida
S
StewartP Offline
StewartP  Offline
S

Florida
the technical differences between the D5 and the regular Hemi, are too vast for me to try to explain. There are tech bulletins that explain the differences, I do not have them yet. HemiFred or Joe, might give better explanations .

Re: Official Joe PAPPAS Q & A Thread #160668
12/28/08 08:16 AM
12/28/08 08:16 AM
Mt Evelyn , Vic Australia
dartcharger Offline
Virgin Fluff
dartcharger  Offline
Virgin Fluff

Mt Evelyn , Vic Australia
Quote:

Quote:

I was waiting in line at the KFC for my order this older lady comes in from the rain and said very loudly "My oh my, did you see that big white truck go over the cliff out there?"

Now thats funny stuff..............I don't care who you are.

I need a clean-up on isle 5 please.
I believe I have just soiled myself.

\

As soon as i read that line i thought OH OW!

Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10