12/04/08 07:15 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

AND HERE IS NOW

4857694-missiletruck.jpg (468 downloads)
Re: Official Joe PAPPAS Q & A Thread #160610
12/04/08 08:38 PM
12/04/08 08:38 PM
NY/NJ
DV8 Offline
mopar addict
DV8  Offline
mopar addict

NY/NJ
Great stories & times but I'm suprised at your ages back then that none of you were in Vietnam during that period?

Steve

"The function of man is to live, not exist..."
Re: Official Joe PAPPAS Q & A Thread [Re: DV8] #160611
12/04/08 10:40 PM
12/04/08 10:40 PM
In Limbo
Billy B Bad Offline
I Live Here
Billy B Bad  Offline
I Live Here

In Limbo
I was born in 1968, so these cars that I love I never got to see run in there day.
When I did get to see drag racing it was Bob Glidden in a Thunder bird.

Anyway, I got to learn and found a love for the Missile as well as few others over the years by reading and listening to stories.

The "Wire Car" was the 1st one I ever read about and found myself wanting to know more and more about Don Carlton and who he was and all the history.
I am lucky to know one former NHRA drag racer from years ago and hearing his stories is a treat.
I try to read what I can about other racers as much as I can. My current study Is Billy "The Kid" Stepp. Could you share any stories about racing The Kid or Akron Arlen (that's if you guys ever did of course).

Please keep telling of the stories and maybe share pictures if you wouldn't mind. For me its like being there and seeing & Hearing it firsthand. To me, those were the days of drag racing.

Thanks for joining and be sure to stick around, allot of fun guys here.

Re: Official Joe PAPPAS Q & A Thread [Re: Billy B Bad] #160612
12/04/08 11:16 PM
12/04/08 11:16 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Akron Arlen Cuda.

I agree this will be a great place to also share pics of these cars.

Re: Official Joe PAPPAS Q & A Thread #160613
12/04/08 11:49 PM
12/04/08 11:49 PM
In Limbo
Billy B Bad Offline
I Live Here
Billy B Bad  Offline
I Live Here

In Limbo
Quote:

Akron Arlen Cuda.

I agree this will be a great place to also share pics of these cars.

Arlen is the guy I have got to know (borrowed photo).

4858336-DSC_1461.jpg (421 downloads)
Re: Official Joe PAPPAS Q & A Thread [Re: Billy B Bad] #160614
12/05/08 10:45 AM
12/05/08 10:45 AM
detroit area
M
moderncylinder Offline
top fuel
moderncylinder  Offline
top fuel
M

detroit area
arlen cam back to racing about 10 years ago,, i did his heads and manifold work for super stock,, he raced a 65 car in nostalgia super stock at the nsca/nmca races that belonged to tony depillo.

i remember arlen telling me back when,, 72 or something,, they had a meeting of pro stock guys with nhra,, the hemi cars were the ones to beat and one of the chevy, pontiac, or something,, a gm guy said they needed to put weight on the hemi cars,,, that all he was looking for was a fair advantage.. after that they put the weight on.

i never talk to older guys about days gone by,, spehar is supposed to stop by my shop today, and george delorean stops by here every other saturday or so,, i think im going to start getting some history lessons,, though i must say,,, spehar,,, delorean,, and even maskin do not like to sit around and talk about the past.

jeff

Re: Official Joe PAPPAS Q & A Thread [Re: moderncylinder] #160615
12/06/08 10:10 AM
12/06/08 10:10 AM
Wichita Kansas
B Dartman Offline
master
B Dartman  Offline
master

Wichita Kansas

B Dartman's 71 Dart Swinger in Mopar Muscle (Sold Dec 2021): https://www.hotrod.com/articles/1971-dodge-dart-destiny-determination/
B Dartman's 71 Dart Swinger in Dodge Garage (Sold Dec 2021): https://www.dodgegarage.com/news/article/showcase/2019/04/destiny-determination.html
B Dartman's 71 Dart Swinger early build pictures (Sold Dec 2021): https://s165.photobucket.com/user/Billswild440dart/library/
Re: Official Joe Pappas (Missile Team) Q & A Thread #160616
12/07/08 09:56 AM
12/07/08 09:56 AM
Connecticut
A
ASA1711 Offline
ASA1711  Offline
A

Connecticut
Joe,
I'm sincerely thrilled to be able to ask you a question. I'm 54 years old and was a huge Pro Stock fan during the early 70's. What do you consider to be the most memorable Pro Stock race or gathering of that era and why?
Frank

Re: Official Joe Pappas (Missile Team) Q & A Thread [Re: ASA1711] #160617
12/07/08 10:04 PM
12/07/08 10:04 PM
Wichita Kansas
B Dartman Offline
master
B Dartman  Offline
master

Wichita Kansas
A bit fuzzy...but cool!

4864407-SoxnMotown.jpg (534 downloads)

B Dartman's 71 Dart Swinger in Mopar Muscle (Sold Dec 2021): https://www.hotrod.com/articles/1971-dodge-dart-destiny-determination/
B Dartman's 71 Dart Swinger in Dodge Garage (Sold Dec 2021): https://www.dodgegarage.com/news/article/showcase/2019/04/destiny-determination.html
B Dartman's 71 Dart Swinger early build pictures (Sold Dec 2021): https://s165.photobucket.com/user/Billswild440dart/library/
Re: Official Joe PAPPAS Q & A Thread [Re: B Dartman] #160618
12/08/08 08:23 AM
12/08/08 08:23 AM
Florida
S
StewartP Offline
Mopar Vintage Picture Guy
StewartP  Offline
Mopar Vintage Picture Guy
S

Florida
I would never try to speak for Joe, but I will say that he might be a little slow in answering your questions as I am keeping him busy this week in Florida. It seems the sunshine here beats the snow in Michigan. He will get back to responding as soon as we stop our "field trips"

StewartP

Re: Official Joe PAPPAS Q & A Thread [Re: unknown] #160619
12/09/08 10:15 AM
12/09/08 10:15 AM
Howell, MI
M
Mopar Missile JP Offline
Back To The 70s With J.P.
Mopar Missile JP  Offline
M

Howell, MI
Quote:

Hey Joe , You said Don Carltons shop was close to Mike Fons Shop, Where. I know Mikes old shop was in Troy, MI. A old freind of Mike and Kenny told me they use to watch movies out the back door of his shop, coming from a drive in theater. Are you involved in racing any more? Oh yea, I here there might be a 70s pro-stock class forming, what do you think More to come, now back to work on my car

Our shop (Carlton's) was on a street called Elmwood in Troy MI. It was just 2 doors down from where Trick Titanium now resides. Fons' shop was about 2 miles away on a street that paralleled I-75. When I worked for Fons that was the shop we had moved to when we moved the shop from his house to a commercial building.

Currently I spend a small bit of time doing autocross and road racing with occasional trips to the drag strip. Everything I do comes out of the general "fund" and living and working in the Detroit area is real hit or miss right now.

I know about the possibility of a 70's class forming in Pro Stock and it would be fun to see. With the economy in the dumper right now it may or may not be able to get a foothold. Also, for safety and cost reasons there will need to be some deep thought put into the structure / organization of this series. Maybe it should be structured like the United States Racing Team was back in 1972 with 16 cars (4 Chevys, 4 Fords, 4 Dodges, 4 Plymouths)???

Joe Pappas

Joe Pappas
MOPAR MISSILE
Re: Official Joe Pappas (Missile Team) Q & A Thread [Re: B Dartman] #160620
12/11/08 07:58 PM
12/11/08 07:58 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Hey Joe,
Hope all is going well on your vaction/trip to Fla. Sure you have been super busy.
Had a member ask on another thread about the 72 Cuda. Where it is now, why still sitting unrestored, any other info about the past few years ect. of its "under 3' of snow" life.

Or possibly even Stewart could fill us in, as I am sure he knows the facts, ect.

Re: Official Joe Pappas (Missile Team) Q & A Thread #160621
12/11/08 08:32 PM
12/11/08 08:32 PM
akron ohio
M
moparmanjr Offline
enthusiast
moparmanjr  Offline
enthusiast
M

akron ohio
kudos to this thread the stories and pics are awsome i wish i could have been there back in the day

Re: Official Joe Pappas (Missile Team) Q & A Thread [Re: moparmanjr] #160622
12/12/08 05:38 PM
12/12/08 05:38 PM
Raleigh N.C
H
hemiparts Offline
"Missile Pilot"
hemiparts  Offline
"Missile Pilot"
H

Raleigh N.C
Who were the " Lee Elimnators" that were on the front fenders of Carlton's cars

4875004-shop.jpg (617 downloads)
Re: Official Joe Pappas (Missile Team) Q & A Thread [Re: hemiparts] #160623
12/13/08 05:32 PM
12/13/08 05:32 PM
D
dan1320 Offline
enthusiast
dan1320  Offline
enthusiast
D

I'm pretty sure I remember Lee filters advertised as Lee Eliminators.

Re: Official Joe Pappas (Missile Team) Q & A Thread #160624
12/13/08 07:23 PM
12/13/08 07:23 PM
columbus oh
M
moparrob Offline
moparrob  Offline
M

columbus oh
Hey Joe, REALLY glad you have decided to join our little crazy club.

What type of HP do you feel the HEMI P/S cars were making in the 72-74 seasons.?
If Fons ran a 8.550 in 1975 @ 2250lbs. He must have been getting around 750HP+.

Rule #1 - - - MOPAR or NO car
Re: Official Joe PAPPAS Q & A Thread [Re: B Dartman] #160625
12/14/08 11:14 AM
12/14/08 11:14 AM
Howell, MI
M
Mopar Missile JP Offline
M

Howell, MI
Quote:

Joe,
1) What are your thoughts on today's highly sponsored driven Pro category drag racing culture?
2) Is it where you would have hoped to see the sport grown to or does it miss the mark that your generation of racers set forth with in the 70's?
3) Today the Pro categories are thinning in numbers and suspect the economy could in fact cripple current sponsorships....what were common numbers of cars that would show up to qualify in those days

Thanks for taking the time for some questions us "kids" with inquiring minds would find fascinating to know!!

1) I think today's sponsorship environment is just the evolution of what we experienced in the 70's. If you look back to those times, we (the Missile crew) had Chrysler Mopar Parts as our primary sponsor with associate sponsorships from Lee Eliminators, Trick Titanium, Fenton, etc. Certainly the dollars involved in those days were much different than today but none the less they were needed. The primary difference we had was Chrysler's money. They funded just about everything for us from salaries to parts. The top teams of the era had backing in one way or another from the factories. Either they were given parts or parts and cash. The regional PS racer of the day pretty much had to look for help from local entities like dealers or speed shops for help. Today, the costs of running in the pro categories is astronomical. To show up and be competitive takes tons of talent and tons of cash. Often, talent is more plentiful than the cash. Thus the need for the deep pocket sponsorships. I don't have a crystal ball that would predict the "look" of today without the big sponsorship dollars but things would most probably be downsized from what we now see.

2) Yes, I like what I see in the Pro ranks today. The technologies being utilized by these racers is really amazing and like I said above is the evolution of what was pioneered in the 70's. The impact of television has really helped but as everyone knows, drag racing is really tough to package into a 2-3 hour segment like NASCAR so there is an "impact" loss for the viewer. Drag racing needs to be experienced in person. The sights, sounds, and smells are what capture the excitement. If the industry can figure out how to make it more affordable to take your family out to the track then maybe it can grow even more and launch the next generation of racers.

3) Today we qualify 16 cars to make up the field in the pro ranks. In the 70's the fields were typically made up of 32 cars. I am not sure of the dates when this changed but it makes a lot of sense. I don't remember how many cars would be sent home as non qualifiers in those days but I would guess that there were not too many. The fact of the matter was the spread between the #1 qualifier and the #32 qualifier could have been as much as a full second or more!!! Today, these classes see the full field qualify within a couple of hundredths!

Joe Pappas
MOPAR MISSILE
Re: Official Joe PAPPAS Q & A Thread [Re: moderncylinder] #160626
12/14/08 11:51 AM
12/14/08 11:51 AM
Howell, MI
M
Mopar Missile JP Offline
M

Howell, MI
Quote:

i have a question that may shed some light on some things... spehar never likes to talk about old stuff,, i think he thinks its outdated,, but i dont know..

in talking to ted i believe he said that the missle was the first car to have titanium spring retainers on it and that before that they had to change the retainers every other run or something,, runing aluminum ones.

what innovations or technological advances did you see or partake in with the missle's early pro stock cars that is still around today, changed the course of racing, by making things faster or last longer, or is still used in average bracket cars to pro stock cars of current day.

jeff

I see Ted several times a year and have known him for nearly 40 years so the things we talk about and how we talk about old and new stuff may be a little different than your experience.

Anyway, getting back to your question on innovations the things I remember the most was the use of titanium not only in the valve spring retainers but throughout the car. We used titanium to replace steel for nuts, bolts, fabricated assemblies, brackets, you name it...

Another thing that sticks in my mind was that Ron Killen created our crank trigger ignition. Those early pieces were machined to his specificatons and we utilized this system on all the engines. We typically had a 10 degree start position and once the engine fired we would throw a switch to our "run" position for full advance.

Ron also set us up with data aquistion equipment for the Missile. I really do not think that anyone used this stuff back then. To say the least it was cumbersome. We had a couple of wire bundles that had to be at least an inch in diameter coming from the recorder that was in the trunk into the cockpit to another box which I think acted like a big splitter. From there the wires went out to the transducers located around the vehicle to pick up data we wanted to monitor. I think we could only record 6 items per run so this was a pretty crude setup. After each run, we removed the tape from the recorder in the trunk (reel to reel) and played it back in Killen's truck plotting it out on a strip chart recorder. Hoover, Coddington, Adam, and Killen would then sort out what we did with corrections for weather. Crude but very effective...

Joe Pappas

Joe Pappas
MOPAR MISSILE
Re: Official Joe PAPPAS Q & A Thread [Re: DV8] #160627
12/14/08 12:01 PM
12/14/08 12:01 PM
Howell, MI
M
Mopar Missile JP Offline
M

Howell, MI
Quote:

Great stories & times but I'm suprised at your ages back then that none of you were in Vietnam during that period?

Steve

Steve,

I was the "baby" age wise from the Missile group. At the time this all was taking place, I was about 22 years old. The Vietman war was was absolutely raging around us but I think the lottery had been instituted about this time and the guy upstairs said that Joe you are going to be number 361 on that Lottery list...

All of the Chrysler engineers were 5 to 20 years older that I was. Oldfield was married with kids so he was probably exempt too.

It all turned out that the luck of the draw kept us out of the draft. We all lost friends over there, we will always remember them and the sacrifices they made for us.

Joe

Joe Pappas
MOPAR MISSILE
Re: Official Joe PAPPAS Q & A Thread [Re: Mopar Missile JP] #160628
12/14/08 12:23 PM
12/14/08 12:23 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Thanks again Joe for sharing all these great stories & knowledge with us.

I still want to hear the bologna & ketchup story again.
That would be a funny one to share with all these guys.

Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10