03/24/14 02:21 PM
03/24/14 02:21 PM
Southeastern Ohio
1st_charger Offline OP
mopar
1st_charger  Offline OP
mopar

Southeastern Ohio
I have an engine and manual trans that was removed from a running car that I would like to store for a year or two do any of you have any suggestions for moth balling, storing this thing?

Thanks

Re: looking for suggestions on moth balling an engine! [Re: 1st_charger] #1597846
03/24/14 03:52 PM
03/24/14 03:52 PM
Earth
R
Rob C Offline
super stock
Rob C  Offline
super stock
R

Earth
I put a bit of Marvel Mystery oil in the cylinders, plastic bag it on a stand or cradle. Drain the carb!

Re: looking for suggestions on moth balling an engine! [Re: Rob C] #1597847
03/24/14 04:01 PM
03/24/14 04:01 PM
Western Washington
Sixgun Offline
top fuel
Sixgun  Offline
top fuel

Western Washington
Quote:

I put a bit of Marvel Mystery oil in the cylinders, plastic bag it on a stand or cradle. Drain the carb!

I'll go a little farther
A sportsman dragster guy told me (and I did this for the HI cars),to pull the col wire crank it over and FOG the carb hole with marvel.Maybe you could monkey-wire the starter on the stand, or just fog the cylinders directly thru the plug holes.
Loosening up the rocker shafts is a great idea too,
and plastic bag the carb hole,and the exhaust outlets, maybe even have a cloth bag of kitty litter as a dessicant in the bottom of a huge heavy trash bag you slip over the whole mess on the stand and tape up 'airtight'

Re: looking for suggestions on moth balling an engine! [Re: 1st_charger] #1597848
03/24/14 07:24 PM
03/24/14 07:24 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
I'd change the oil/filter & run it for a minute to coat everything with fresh oil as old oil has acids etc that will eat metal left unchecked. If it is already pulled you could change the oil/filter & drill prime it. Definitely heavily coat the cyls as they are bare metal from the firing. Loosen the rocker shafts evenly to keep the shaft parallel as it is coming up/off. I go unscrew center bolt 1/4 turn then near left then near right then far left then far right then center till it is free. #1 (& the hardest do) is get it in a place where it is warm all the time to avoid condensation & not sure I'd bag/seal it totally as that seals the moisture laden air inside & the dessicant is a good idea & I might seal it if I had that in there in a good quantity. Probably a bit overkill but I've seen/dealt with too much rusty junk in my life from neglect

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: looking for suggestions on moth balling an engine! [Re: RapidRobert] #1597849
03/25/14 01:14 AM
03/25/14 01:14 AM
Western Md.
skicker Offline
"The Champ"
skicker  Offline
"The Champ"

Western Md.
If I know its something I want to save the last thing I do before I start unbolting everything is run Marvel Mystery Oil right down through the carb while its running. It smokes like crazy but it coats everything. I had one that sat for 13yrs, bolted it back in and fired it off. It's going to smoke when you fire it back up but nothing will be rusted. Since you already have it out you can squirt it in the cylinders and you can dump some down through the carb while turning the motor over by hand. If you take the plugs out and turn it over you will see which cylinders have oil in them. Definitely drain the carb with the crap gas that's out there now.

...FAFO...