Trans issues, any advice? #1595506
03/19/14 09:14 PM
03/19/14 09:14 PM
Round Rock, Tx
PlumCrazyChris Offline OP
PlumCrazyChris  Offline OP

Round Rock, Tx
Hi guys,

I finally got the new hemi running (correctly, but that's another story). My problem is I didn't get enough fluid in my '91 A-500 trans before I tried to drive it. It seemed to slip, but since my motor was running so bad (on 7 cylinders) with open headers, I couldn't really tell what was happening. I did add some fluid and thought it was good and after several more trips around the block, realized it was still low. All in all it was probably 5 quarts low when I first took it around the block.

Now I have mufflers and the motor running well, but the trans won't shift out of 1st and seems to work, then spins as the rpms rise, then catches again down near idle (all OD and LU disconnected). It smoothly goes in drive and reverse, neutral and park, but spins when I try to drive it.

It was good running trans, previously rebuilt when I got it in 07? I put a shift kit in it, and left it sit dry until I tried to drive 4-5 months ago. That's when I apparently didn't get the TQ Cvrtr filled the first time i tried to drive it, or the subsequent 4 times.

I pulled the pan today and found it very clean, no metal fillings nothing. fluid smells fine as well.

So my question is, is it possible that just my TQ Cvrtr is bad and the rest of my trans is good? or do you think my whole trans is shot?

I also have another '94 A-518 I got a few years ago and was told it worked good, but is unknown to me. It hasn't been drained.

If you have any thoughts at all, I'd love to hear them.

Anyone know a good trans shop in Houston that knows torque flights?

Last edited by PlumCrazyChris; 03/19/14 09:24 PM.

VP of Mopar Muscle Cars of Austin
70 Challenger
www.mopar.org
Re: Trans issues, any advice? [Re: PlumCrazyChris] #1595507
03/19/14 09:32 PM
03/19/14 09:32 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
I would think if there was some fluid in there at least some in the converter & it sounds like you did prime it with some and there was some in the trans that it did not burn up & the non op issue is unrelated to the fluid but wait for Kunkel to chime in. I did build a 904 then it sat outside (with no dipstick for 2 years (rain & snow) "dont ask" & then in the summer pulled the pan & it was dry so I installed it in the stock car & filled it up with fluid & it ran flawless. My tranny building skills ain't super, it's just a tough trans. Heres a BTT for ya

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: Trans issues, any advice? [Re: PlumCrazyChris] #1595508
03/19/14 10:35 PM
03/19/14 10:35 PM
Western PA
O
OldMoparMan Offline
enthusiast
OldMoparMan  Offline
enthusiast
O

Western PA
John will have the best advice.

Which shift kit did you install and does it just free spin when locked in second.

Living with ALS help support the search for a cure
Thanks http://web.alsa.org/site/TR/Walks/WesternPennsylvania?team_id=347781&pg=team&fr_id=12069
Re: Trans issues, any advice? [Re: OldMoparMan] #1595509
03/20/14 01:42 AM
03/20/14 01:42 AM
Round Rock, Tx
PlumCrazyChris Offline OP
PlumCrazyChris  Offline OP

Round Rock, Tx
It won't go to second. It doesn't free spin when I first put it in gear, only when I give it any torque, like when the RPMs get past 1500 or so.

In my smooth garage, it actually spins the tires, it actually started sliding sideways first time I put it in gear.

VP of Mopar Muscle Cars of Austin
70 Challenger
www.mopar.org
Re: Trans issues, any advice? [Re: PlumCrazyChris] #1595510
03/20/14 03:32 AM
03/20/14 03:32 AM
Balt. Md
383man Offline
Too Many Posts
383man  Offline
Too Many Posts

Balt. Md
Are you saying it takes off ok and drives ok at first but just keeps running in first and wont upshift ? If it is a few things come to mind but I am not sure if thats just what you are saying. If the kickdown band it shot it will drive along and stay in first and then when you get enough speed it will go into third as it will have no second without the kickdown band not working. But it wont slip like that it will just rev up and drive in first until you go fast enough for it to shift into third. It wont slip because if the band does not come on it just stays in first until it goes fast enough for third but as you pick up speed and get off the gas and back on it can freewheel some since the L/R band is not on in drive. You are saying it does not shift into second at all right ? Ron

Last edited by 383man; 03/20/14 03:34 AM.
Re: Trans issues, any advice? [Re: PlumCrazyChris] #1595511
03/20/14 07:00 PM
03/20/14 07:00 PM
Rio Linda, CA
John_Kunkel Offline
Too Many Posts
John_Kunkel  Offline
Too Many Posts

Rio Linda, CA
Quote:

It won't go to second. It doesn't free spin when I first put it in gear, only when I give it any torque, like when the RPMs get past 1500 or so.

What do you mean by "free spin"?

The no-shift problem could be the TP linkage, temporarily disconnect the linkage at the transmission lever and see if it'll shift.

The INTERNET, the MISinformation superhighway