Emmett, Idaho
S
SuperStockWagon Offline OP
mopar
SuperStockWagon  Offline OP
mopar
S

Emmett, Idaho
So I'm at 250k miles on an all my factory suspension pieces of my 02 2wd Cummins dually..truck drives great,but with the miles its time to replace ball joints and all steering components and am looking for suggestions on good quality components to replace the factory stuff.

Years ago when I was in the parts business Moog was one of the top pieces..what about now? Go back to factory stuff? I'm finding a ton of cheap chinese stuff out there,but just put $1300 worth of new Michelins on it so cutting corners right now wouldn't make much sense.

Plus I carry a 12ft overhead camper and pull a 30ft race trailer when the truck is being used so cheap junk just isn't an option!

NHRA Stock/SuperStock Class Racing..Engineered Muscle In Motion!
Re: Suggestions On Quality Front Suspension Components [Re: SuperStockWagon] #1583373
02/24/14 03:27 PM
02/24/14 03:27 PM
SoMd, USA
135sohc Offline
mopar
135sohc  Offline
mopar

SoMd, USA
Raybestos professional.

Re: Suggestions On Quality Front Suspension Components [Re: 135sohc] #1583374
02/25/14 12:42 AM
02/25/14 12:42 AM
Maryland
R
regularjay Offline
regularjay  Offline
R

Maryland
This weekend I am going to replace the MOOG balljoints in my truck after less than 15K miles. So, my advice would be something other than Moog!

79 Lil Red Express - I'll finish it someday
94 2wd Ram 1500 5.9 Donor for...???
78 CJ7 4.2 with Clifford Cam, Holley 390, 4" on 33's
1992 W250 Cummins
2013 Ram 4X4 Hemi Crew Express
2005 Ex Cab Dakota 4x4 4.7 Daily Driver
1993 2wd Ramcharger 5.2/auto

Re: Suggestions On Quality Front Suspension Components [Re: regularjay] #1583375
02/25/14 03:36 PM
02/25/14 03:36 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
Most everyone makes a cheap and an expensive version of suspension parts. The cheap ones are good for a year, regardless of who's name is on the box. Usually (and that is an important word these days) the more expensive parts are still decent parts. With all the companies swapping ownership, and getting taken over, buying parts has become a bit of a gamble these days. I tend to buy the expensive parts from a trusted source that is willing to put their name on the box and guarantee the parts inside the box. Even then I still get feeling I got the 1st time I heard the famous Clint Eastwood line "Do you feel lucky today, Punk?"

Good luck. Gene

Re: Suggestions On Quality Front Suspension Components [Re: poorboy] #1583376
02/26/14 12:01 AM
02/26/14 12:01 AM
Emmett, Idaho
S
mopar
mopar
S

Emmett, Idaho
Quote:

Most everyone makes a cheap and an expensive version of suspension parts. The cheap ones are good for a year, regardless of who's name is on the box. Usually (and that is an important word these days) the more expensive parts are still decent parts. With all the companies swapping ownership, and getting taken over, buying parts has become a bit of a gamble these days. I tend to buy the expensive parts from a trusted source that is willing to put their name on the box and guarantee the parts inside the box. Even then I still get feeling I got the 1st time I heard the famous Clint Eastwood line "Do you feel lucky today, Punk?"

Good luck. Gene

Thanks Guys..I'm only finding 1 line of Moog products..a guy here at a local parts store put a Moog and a "house" brand product side by side and the Moog appeared to be better quality and heavier duty.

They are lifetime warrantied and are a simple bolt in for installation once the originals are out. Will continue to research.

Re: Suggestions On Quality Front Suspension Components [Re: SuperStockWagon] #1583377
02/26/14 12:17 AM
02/26/14 12:17 AM
Amarillo, Tx
old_goat Offline
Six Abuser
old_goat  Offline
Six Abuser

Amarillo, Tx
I work for a drivetrain company that is a part of a small chain of parts stores. Moog parts are lifetime warranty items. I compared lower ball joints for my 84 D150 , Moog vs our line of lower priced units. The Moog items seem to be better built.
The only ones I know of that might be better are afco units that are a low friction racing unit, at about double plus some of Moog pricing.
I am going to use Moog parts when I build the front end for my 83 project truck.
I replaced my upper and lowers on my 84 D150 8 years ago.
no issues so far.

84 D150 440/727
79 /6 swb D150
1964 A100 window van. Just because it has spark plug tubes doesn't mean it's a Hemi.

If ya haven't been there, ya just wouldn't understand.
Re: Suggestions On Quality Front Suspension Components [Re: old_goat] #1583378
02/26/14 02:52 AM
02/26/14 02:52 AM
aZLiViN
J
J_BODY Offline
I Live Here
J_BODY  Offline
I Live Here
J

aZLiViN
I've replaced at least four sets of Moog upper/lower ball joints that were done at other shops for OEM Mopar because you had to keep correcting the steering as you were driving. These were all 4x4 trucks although I do know of another tech in our shop that installed customer supplied ball joints for an 06 2wd 3500 truck that had the same issue when he was done. Customer chose to live with it since he bought the parts.

Re: Suggestions On Quality Front Suspension Components [Re: J_BODY] #1583379
02/26/14 03:53 PM
02/26/14 03:53 PM
Emmett, Idaho
S
mopar
mopar
S

Emmett, Idaho
Quote:

I've replaced at least four sets of Moog upper/lower ball joints that were done at other shops for OEM Mopar because you had to keep correcting the steering as you were driving. These were all 4x4 trucks although I do know of another tech in our shop that installed customer supplied ball joints for an 06 2wd 3500 truck that had the same issue when he was done. Customer chose to live with it since he bought the parts.

Yep, seems to be a trend now with Moog parts according to a couple of other diesel sites that have discussed the issue.

And as 135sohc posted Raybestos Professional line or OEM is where most are turning to for HD ball joint applications.

Thanks Guys!

Re: Suggestions On Quality Front Suspension Components [Re: SuperStockWagon] #1583380
02/26/14 11:51 PM
02/26/14 11:51 PM
SoMd, USA
135sohc Offline
mopar
135sohc  Offline
mopar

SoMd, USA
August 2012 I redid the entire front end on our 2002 1500 (2wd quad cab). The oem ball joints all four had split boots. Outer tie rod ends were loose (had 120~k on them).

When researching parts I found a striking similarity of the raybestos pro line to the oem parts on the truck. Dust boots in particular looked identical and raybestos also used a lock nut with a hex holding head formed on the ball stud. On the lowers they also were the oem style of pressing in the BJ and then folding over/staking a retaining ring.

In that case I did go with moog on the ball joints because I felt that moog had a better dust boot vs the more rigid plastic of the oem/raybestos and on the lower balljoint they knurled the OD where it pressed into the arm and gave you a snap ring to retain it. Which I strongly preferred over staking in something so critical to function and safety. At the factory I have no doubt they used a several ton automatic press to drive it in and stake it over in one quick, controlled operation. On the upper arms I went with moog again only for the reasoning of the better dust boot. In all other respects I think raybestos was a better part. OEM uca was an aluminum forging, moog was a much heavier steel based part (not even painted at that)

Those are the only two situations where I used moog and really because I felt between the drawbacks of both part designs the moog was the lesser of the two evils. It is unlikely we're going to be driving that truck another 100k so I wasn't terribly concerned. I just grease everything on a regular basis.

My Shadow lasted 200k on the oem chrysler parts. The moog replacement ball joints and outer tie rod ends were junk in less than 40k of relatively light use. In december 2010 I replaced the same parts with raybestos pro line and I have had the front end apart a couple times since then for varying reasons (clutch, transmission swap, axle replacements act) and those same parts are still very tight and hard to move by hand.

The front end of the B-van is all raybestos pro line or OEM replacement. I did that on the cheap by shopping ebay for discontinued/closeout/old stock liquidation and found some of the mopar stuff had the same number code stamps as the raybestos pro line stuff in a few cases.

I havn't worked on anything newer than 02/03 to date so I have no comment but for 02/03 and maybe older I have a good feeling that Dana (now raybestos via Affinia corp) was the supplier and not federal mogul/moog if that says anything to what chrysler thinks of moog.