Tennessee
H
Hemi ragtop Offline OP
super stock
Hemi ragtop  Offline OP
super stock
H

Tennessee
I posted a week or more ago with the discovery that my intake gaskets were "wicking" oil into the ports. The oil was migrating BETWEEN the silicone that sealed the head and intake surface THROUGH the gasket. I received several very helpful replies on here. Obviously, I was not the first to experience this. I ordered a set of Superformance gaskets, and set out to clean and check everything before install. After cleaning all surfaces and bolts, I installed 4 long 1/4" bolts that I cut the head off of to use as guides for the intake. I then lay a bead of silicone on the front and rear china walls extending 1/2" up onto the head surface. I installed the gaskets DRY as instructed and put a small amount of silicone again over the gasket in the corners. I torqued the bolts to 25 in lb., then 48 in lb., then 72 in lb. for the middle four bolts. I always started in the middle working my way out. Then I repeated step two and three until the bolts stopped taking torque. This process required 5 torque sequences to complete.

8035250-DSCN0850.JPG (248 downloads)
Re: Hemi intake gasket install [Re: Hemi ragtop] #1577119
02/11/14 09:40 AM
02/11/14 09:40 AM
Tennessee
H
Hemi ragtop Offline OP
super stock
Hemi ragtop  Offline OP
super stock
H

Tennessee
gaskets in place

8035251-DSCN0852.JPG (342 downloads)
Re: Hemi intake gasket install [Re: Hemi ragtop] #1577120
02/11/14 09:47 AM
02/11/14 09:47 AM
Tennessee
H
Hemi ragtop Offline OP
super stock
Hemi ragtop  Offline OP
super stock
H

Tennessee
Intake installed and torqued. I checked the head and intake surfaces and all were straight, I also mocked up intake dry to make sure that the ports lined up properly at .062" gasket thickness. At this point I measured the gap comparing top to bottom and it was consistent. I am still installing carbs, linkage, distributor etc. Hopefully I will get everything back together by the weekend. Then if mother nature is not in too bad a mood, I can drive it and report that the oil consumption problem is over!

8035254-DSCN0856.JPG (182 downloads)
Re: Hemi intake gasket install [Re: Hemi ragtop] #1577121
02/11/14 11:35 AM
02/11/14 11:35 AM
Akron, Ohio U.S.A.
roadhazard Offline
master
roadhazard  Offline
master

Akron, Ohio U.S.A.
Thanks for posting

Did you secure the gaskets to the head with a couple dabs of adhesive, away from the ports and allow it to cure then installed the intake? This keeps the gasket from sliding down when torquing the intake bolts.

I don't understand why there are two different torque values on the Hemi intake bolts.
They are all the same diameter and length aren't they

Your thoughts on our gasket material?

Re: Hemi intake gasket install [Re: roadhazard] #1577122
02/11/14 11:47 AM
02/11/14 11:47 AM
NW Indiana
F
fbs63 Offline
top fuel
fbs63  Offline
top fuel
F

NW Indiana
Because of the angle of the intake surface and the bolt entering straight down the intake acts like a wedge and can lift the head if the bolts are not torqued correctly. The end bolts are torqued lower because the head is large and unsupported at the ends and that's also where the largest water passages are.

Re: Hemi intake gasket install [Re: fbs63] #1577123
02/11/14 12:33 PM
02/11/14 12:33 PM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
Greg,I will give you my thoughts on your your gaskets.They are the best gaskets we have used and have the ability to reuse in many cases.We hope you continue adding to you gasket line of products.

Re: Hemi intake gasket install [Re: B G Racing] #1577124
02/11/14 01:16 PM
02/11/14 01:16 PM
Taxes & Virus's R-US, NY
Dragula Offline
I Live Here
Dragula  Offline
I Live Here

Taxes & Virus's R-US, NY
I will typically use studs in all four corners and use a dab of emblem adhesive for each gasket mount them in place to the head, and then over the studs I put a magnet to make sure the gaskets don't move until the adhesive sets up...Pull the magnets off the studs when it sets up.

Set the intake over the studs, start running down all the bolts, and torque it down...Works well unless you need to pry the intake off later....Pull the studs out!

Been using the Indy gasket. Somtimes I can re-use them, sometimes I can't...I run no adhesive on the intake side, and yet they often still stick to it. I could try the ones you have BG, what do those cost?

I am glad I have a valley plate and don't have to worry about the rest of it sealing everytime I pull the intake.

'70 Cuda,...605 EFI Hemi Street Car (6.20 best pass, 1.33 60ft)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYw6RA-k5Bk (6.25 at 108.75mph from inside car)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zQEb9uxFng (6.25 at 108mph from outside car)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCvfzsC4NgM (9.9)

'66 Barracuda AWB Stretched nose Blown 440 Car in build stage

'71 Duster Drag Car 400 Low Deck 512 best 6.002 at 115.44mph
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Znuo3jMUXTk
Re: Hemi intake gasket install [Re: fbs63] #1577125
02/11/14 02:26 PM
02/11/14 02:26 PM
central il.
S
second 70 Offline
top fuel
second 70  Offline
top fuel
S

central il.
Quote:

Because of the angle of the intake surface and the bolt entering straight down the intake acts like a wedge and can lift the head if the bolts are not torqued correctly. The end bolts are torqued lower because the head is large and unsupported at the ends and that's also where the largest water passages are.

I had a small water leak at the front left head on my 426 with a stage v manifold. It was just weeping between the head and block at idle. Not enough to drip. If you rev the motor a little it would disappear back under the head. I loosened the intake bolt 1/8 turn and it stopped the leak but of course then it leaked oil out of the rear. Long story short removed intake reinstalled without over tightening. No more leaks.

Re: Hemi intake gasket install [Re: Hemi ragtop] #1577126
02/11/14 02:38 PM
02/11/14 02:38 PM
State of confusion
T
Thumperdart Offline
I Live Here
Thumperdart  Offline
I Live Here
T

State of confusion
Quote:

I posted a week or more ago with the discovery that my intake gaskets were "wicking" oil into the ports. The oil was migrating BETWEEN the silicone that sealed the head and intake surface THROUGH the gasket. I received several very helpful replies on here. Obviously, I was not the first to experience this. I ordered a set of Superformance gaskets, and set out to clean and check everything before install. After cleaning all surfaces and bolts, I installed 4 long 1/4" bolts that I cut the head off of to use as guides for the intake. I then lay a bead of silicone on the front and rear china walls extending 1/2" up onto the head surface. I installed the gaskets DRY as instructed and put a small amount of silicone again over the gasket in the corners. I torqued the bolts to 25 in lb., then 48 in lb., then 72 in lb. for the middle four bolts. I always started in the middle working my way out. Then I repeated step two and three until the bolts stopped taking torque. This process required 5 torque sequences to complete.

I recently helped a guy seal his intake on a 600+ ci Chubby and same deal. He used silicone around the intake ports which is useless unless you like changing intakes. Silicone and gas don`t mix so now w/the baddest gaskets out there and a DRY install you should be golden............

72 Dart 470 n/a BB stroker street car `THUMPER`...Check me out on FB Dominic Thumper for videos and lots of carb pics......760-900-3895.....
Re: Hemi intake gasket install [Re: roadhazard] #1577127
02/11/14 08:03 PM
02/11/14 08:03 PM
Tennessee
H
Hemi ragtop Offline OP
super stock
Hemi ragtop  Offline OP
super stock
H

Tennessee
Quote:

Thanks for posting

Did you secure the gaskets to the head with a couple dabs of adhesive, away from the ports and allow it to cure then installed the intake? This keeps the gasket from sliding down when torquing the intake bolts.

I don't understand why there are two different torque values on the Hemi intake bolts.

I used (4) "guide bolts" to aid the installation of the intake. I thought that they would hold the gaskets in place. I didn't remove them until I had all the bolts installed and snug. Only then did I remove the guide bolts and replace them with regular intake bolts.

I too was puzzled by the different bolt torque specs. I got the info from Larry Shepard's "how to rebuild and modify Chrysler 426 hemi engines". On page 178 he has a diagram with 5 step instructions that I followed to the letter. Do you think I needed adhesive? I understood to install them dry?

I was impressed with the feel of the material on the gaskets, they are certainly different than the brand X that I have used for years. I just hope that they seal, keep the bolts tight and stop the oil from getting in the intake ports! I will report on that when I get to drive it, more snow in the forecast.

Re: Hemi intake gasket install [Re: fbs63] #1577128
02/11/14 08:07 PM
02/11/14 08:07 PM
Tennessee
H
Hemi ragtop Offline OP
super stock
Hemi ragtop  Offline OP
super stock
H

Tennessee
Quote:

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I was told by several that they all should be torqued to the same value, then others recommended torque in FT LB.! I decided to follow a Mopar engineer's written instruction (Larry Shepard).

Re: Hemi intake gasket install [Re: Hemi ragtop] #1577129
02/11/14 08:45 PM
02/11/14 08:45 PM
Akron, Ohio U.S.A.
roadhazard Offline
master
roadhazard  Offline
master

Akron, Ohio U.S.A.
Quote:

Quote:

Thanks for posting

Quote:

I used (4) "guide bolts" to aid the installation of the intake. I thought that they would hold the gaskets in place. I didn't remove them until I had all the bolts installed and snug. Only then did I remove the guide bolts and replace them with regular intake bolts.

As long as they stayed in place and did not slide down during the torque sequence your fine.

Quote:

I too was puzzled by the different bolt torque specs. I got the info from Larry Shepard's "how to rebuild and modify Chrysler 426 hemi engines". On page 178 he has a diagram with 5 step instructions that I followed to the letter. Do you think I needed adhesive? I understood to install them dry?

Looks like I'll have to investigate further with some industry professionals who have more hands on experience with the Hemi's. Again as long as the gasket stayed in place you should be good.

Quote:

I was impressed with the feel of the material on the gaskets, they are certainly different than the brand X that I have used for years. I just hope that they seal, keep the bolts tight and stop the oil from getting in the intake ports! I will report on that when I get to drive it, more snow in the forecast.

That my friend is the feel of quality materials. A quality gasket is born with material selection as a first priority. This material has been used by Caterpillar and Cummins for a number of years, selected for durability and torque retention. These WILL NOT wick oil like the Brand-X material so once sealed up you should be good for many happy miles.

And yes I'm about of this winter already

Re: Hemi intake gasket install [Re: Thumperdart] #1577130
02/11/14 09:32 PM
02/11/14 09:32 PM
Tennessee
H
Hemi ragtop Offline OP
super stock
Hemi ragtop  Offline OP
super stock
H

Tennessee
Quote:

Quote:

I recently helped a guy seal his intake on a 600+ ci Chubby and same deal. He used silicone around the intake ports which is useless unless you like changing intakes. Silicone and gas don`t mix so now w/the baddest gaskets out there and a DRY install you should be golden............

You guys are making me feel better already, and I haven't even started it yet! It sure is a disappointment to spend all that money and effort just to learn that you can't drive it over 500 miles without adding oil!

8035929-DSCN0769.JPG (102 downloads)
Re: Hemi intake gasket install [Re: Hemi ragtop] #1577131
02/11/14 10:25 PM
02/11/14 10:25 PM
State of confusion
T
Thumperdart Offline
I Live Here
Thumperdart  Offline
I Live Here
T

State of confusion
Soon baby, soon..................

72 Dart 470 n/a BB stroker street car `THUMPER`...Check me out on FB Dominic Thumper for videos and lots of carb pics......760-900-3895.....
Re: Hemi intake gasket install [Re: Thumperdart] #1577132
02/12/14 12:19 AM
02/12/14 12:19 AM
gulfport, ms, west mi
rowin4 Offline
master
rowin4  Offline
master

gulfport, ms, west mi
I had my Stage V head intake surface machined for o-ring material, no gasket required.

it's ok to butt heads, just don't do it with a butthead
Re: Hemi intake gasket install [Re: rowin4] #1577133
02/12/14 11:09 AM
02/12/14 11:09 AM
Akron, Ohio U.S.A.
roadhazard Offline
master
roadhazard  Offline
master

Akron, Ohio U.S.A.
Quote:

I had my Stage V head intake surface machined for o-ring material, no gasket required.

Where did you find the correct size one piece rectangular shaped o-rings to fit around the ports?

Re: Hemi intake gasket install [Re: roadhazard] #1577134
02/12/14 07:13 PM
02/12/14 07:13 PM
California
mickm Offline
master
mickm  Offline
master

California
Quote:

Quote:

Where did you find the correct size one piece rectangular shaped o-rings to fit around the ports?

me too. tim banning at FHO has them...

Re: Hemi intake gasket install [Re: mickm] #1577135
02/12/14 08:45 PM
02/12/14 08:45 PM
Tennessee
H
Hemi ragtop Offline OP
super stock
Hemi ragtop  Offline OP
super stock
H

Tennessee
Well, NOW you tell me! LOL.I never heard of HEMI intake "O" rings. I was almost at work today, still dark, and the boss called. Asked where I was, I replied, "I'm almost to the office". His response, "go back home, we are having a snow day". So, I spent the day finishing the carbs, fuel line, distributor install etc. I fired it up just now. No leaks so far....I will put my money on Superformance. So far anyway. I am sure that I won't have any more problems, if I do, I will post for help as always. Just wish I could take it out and test it, but I am 58 and wise, vs. 18, when I used to LOVE taking my 4 speed 67' GTX for drives in the snow!

Re: Hemi intake gasket install [Re: Hemi ragtop] #1577136
02/12/14 09:42 PM
02/12/14 09:42 PM
California
mickm Offline
master
mickm  Offline
master

California
Quote:

Well, NOW you tell me! LOL.I never heard of HEMI intake "O" rings. I was almost at work today, still dark, and the boss called. Asked where I was, I replied, "I'm almost to the office". His response, "go back home, we are having a snow day". So, I spent the day finishing the carbs, fuel line, distributor install etc. I fired it up just now. No leaks so far....I will put my money on Superformance. So far anyway. I am sure that I won't have any more problems, if I do, I will post for help as always. Just wish I could take it out and test it, but I am 58 and wise, vs. 18, when I used to LOVE taking my 4 speed 67' GTX for drives in the snow!

heads have to be milled for the grooves for the o-rings. i don't know, but i would suspect that the heads are also of a different dimension. otherwise it seems like the ports wouldn't line up with .030 of gasket on either side.

i wouldn't do it to stock heads, but i don't remember if yours are or not.

these are stage V heads.

Re: Hemi intake gasket install [Re: mickm] #1577137
02/12/14 10:17 PM
02/12/14 10:17 PM
Tennessee
H
Hemi ragtop Offline OP
super stock
Hemi ragtop  Offline OP
super stock
H

Tennessee
No, I have MP heads, they have not been machined for "O" rings. I have finished the install of the new gaskets and started the engine. No leaks that I can see. I will have to drive the car for some distance to see if the oil level stays up.

8037351-DSCN0858.JPG (94 downloads)
Page 1 of 2 1 2