02/08/14 01:26 PM
02/08/14 01:26 PM
Central Pa. U.S.A.
B
Bigfury Offline OP
Bigfury  Offline OP
B

Central Pa. U.S.A.
Looking for some help with how to keep track of restoring a Cuda.Now I have all kind of scrapes of paper,stuff written in a note book. Thinking my computer could make things easier,if I'd learn more about certain programs.For all I know there just may be a program already made for this.Presently the laptop has Microsoft excel & office 2010. Thanks in advance and everyone have a great weekend.

Re: How to use laptop for resto [Re: Bigfury] #1575865
02/08/14 01:37 PM
02/08/14 01:37 PM
Florida
M
mopar346 Offline
Let me tell ya about fat chicks!
mopar346  Offline
Let me tell ya about fat chicks!
M

Florida
Pictures, schematics and information all in my magic box to help along the way. I have different files for each car and folders with in those files for each section or step, ie underdash, dash, underbody, firewall, engine, trans, front end, etc. It would be best if I had before during and after pictures but I am not that big on pictures, the i-phone has really helped that aspect. I also have reference folders within each car file, and they are broken down in sections as well. I also have generic reference files broken down in sections as well. I save a lot of the pictures posted here as well as detailed pictures from car shows or reference cars I get to see. But with all that I still cant find the picture I need/want half the time. The laptop has become a tool for restoration just like my blaster, when you need it nothing else will do the job.

Careful, your character's showing!
Re: How to use laptop for resto [Re: mopar346] #1575866
02/08/14 08:12 PM
02/08/14 08:12 PM
Ontario, Canada
S
Stanton Offline
Don't question me!
Stanton  Offline
Don't question me!
S

Ontario, Canada
I keep pictures for reference. Although I'm not "restoring" the car, I still need shots of how some things go back together. I also keep reference shots of things on other people's builds such as how close a distributor might be to an oval air cleaner or what style plug boots to use with my brand of headers, etc..

I use Excel for lists. Things to do, things to paint and what color. Also a list of parts needed, source and prices, so I know what to budget or whats a good deal if I spot something in "for sale" ads.

I use Word to keep reference articles. Its all fine and dandy to have tech archives on here but not everything is "here" so when I find an article I know I'll need I copy it into Word.

I also keep a whack of links in my internet "favorites" - usually sites of suppliers - so when its time to shop I don't have to hunt for them.

I also transfer all my files to my tablet so when I go to swap meets I have all my lists and photos with me. And I can also take great shots with the tablet too.

I also bought Stacey David's (Gearz) "Project Build Book" thinking it would be a good thing for storing info but I find that for the most part its a useless POS and a waste of $20. or whatever it cost.

Re: How to use laptop for resto [Re: Bigfury] #1575867
02/09/14 01:18 PM
02/09/14 01:18 PM
Albany, NY
67SATisfaction Offline
The member whose name is actually Art
67SATisfaction  Offline
The member whose name is actually Art

Albany, NY
I bet a laptop could be just as useful as a handwritten notebook, just consider which one is easier for you.

Seems like EXCEL would be the most likely off-the-shelf program because you are probably needing most to keep track of lists of information and some cross-referencing … I have no idea if an EXCEL spreadsheet can handle "hot links" to digital photo files, but THAT would be useful.

Quote:

Now I have all kind of scrapes of paper,stuff written in a note book.

The important thing is to have SOME system - any system - to keep a list of tasks. Maybe an organized note book is good enough? I used that method to organize my 6-year resto. I offer the following food for thought:

1. I kept a 5-division spiral-bound note book on the workbench to write down what I did AS I WENT ALONG, describing the parts, condition, paint finish, sizes and quantities of bolts, and the DATE. Most entries had a "what to do" note, plus a check-box to be used during re-assembly to avoid missing something going back on the car. This could all be done in EXCEL.

2. Each 'What to do' note was paired with an entry in another section of the notebook to keep track of what I need to do: Procure new parts, Repair the part, Refinish the part. This could be done in EXCEL.

3. Lots of digital photos, each of them carries a DATE/time. I printed about 1/3 of the photos, wrote the date on them and stuck them in sleeves in a 3-ring binder. If you save each photo with the date as part of the filename (2014-02-09_wiperswitch_DSCF5425.jpg) , it should be easy to reference to your EXCEL notes. This filename sorts your photos chronologically in a PC folder.

Best,
- Art

65 Satellite hardtop 361/4bbl console 727 2.76
67 Satellite convert 383/2bbl column 727 3.23
67 Lancia Fulvia Sport 1.3 Zagato. Alloy body, 1.3L V4 DOHC 4-spd
67 Lancia Fulvia Rallye 1.3. Alloy panel, 1.3L V4 DOHC 4-spd
71 Alfa Romeo GT Junior 1300 Zagato, 1.3L 4cyl DOHC hemi 5-spd
82 Alfa Romeo GTV6 2.5L SOHC hemi V6 5-spd transaxle
75 Maserati Bora US spec 4.9L DOHC hemi V8 5-spd ZF
77 Maserati Khamsin Euro spec 4.9L DOHC hemi V8 5-spd ZF
07 Aston Martin DB9 6.0L DOHC V12 6spd transaxle
Re: How to use laptop for resto [Re: 67SATisfaction] #1575868
02/09/14 07:52 PM
02/09/14 07:52 PM
Ontario, Canada
S
Stanton Offline
Don't question me!
Stanton  Offline
Don't question me!
S

Ontario, Canada
This has nothing to do with keeping records BUT ...

As I disassemble the car I tackle the rebuilding of the part(s). I may take off a few items but I don't go to far without completing the work on those, wrapping them well then storing them. My thinking here is that when I get the body back from paint I don't want it sitting for another year (or so) and potentially being damaged while I rebuild parts, I want to start bolting it together the day it gets back.

So, all that said, I keep all related parts together once rebuilt i.e all the bolts, etc. for the pedal assembly are in baggies and kept with the assembly so I don't have to hunt them down later.

Re: How to use laptop for resto [Re: Stanton] #1575869
02/10/14 12:18 AM
02/10/14 12:18 AM
Central Pa. U.S.A.
B
Bigfury Offline OP
Bigfury  Offline OP
B

Central Pa. U.S.A.
Many thanks for the suggestion. Now to get to the organizing. This winter crap really stinks. Have a wonderful build everyone.uh