01/28/14 08:03 PM
01/28/14 08:03 PM
mass
K
kotacars Offline OP
kotacars  Offline OP
K

mass
My car currently is all mopar old and new but I plan to upgrade it using DSE parts due to the fact I have taking it as far as it can go with simple bolt on parts.

Last edited by kotacars; 01/29/14 09:19 AM.
Re: Mark stielow Camaro vs tim werners valiant [Re: 72Swinger] #1568644
01/28/14 11:44 PM
01/28/14 11:44 PM
Plano, Texas
68cuda440 Offline
enthusiast
68cuda440  Offline
enthusiast

Plano, Texas
Quote:

I called BS to that out of the gate, just think how many Chevy idiots went out and bought a new ZL1 thinking "this thing is only a tick slower than Steilows car....". Pure marketing genius really.

I'll finish the thought "... for a lot less money."

Michael 1968 Barracuda Notchback Coupe 440 EFI 6-pack, T56 Magnum 6-spd
Re: Mark stielow Camaro vs tim werners valiant [Re: autoxcuda] #1568645
01/28/14 11:50 PM
01/28/14 11:50 PM
Plano, Texas
68cuda440 Offline
enthusiast
68cuda440  Offline
enthusiast

Plano, Texas
Quote:

I can sort of understand Chrysler's reasoning on this though.

I think there rational is if they can't make money off their product, no one should be able to.

Re: Mark stielow Camaro vs tim werners valiant [Re: 68cuda440] #1568646
01/29/14 12:59 AM
01/29/14 12:59 AM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

Quote:

I can sort of understand Chrysler's reasoning on this though.

I think there rational is if they can't make money off their product, no one should be able to.

I'm thinking conflict of interests. You are at paid at work to make money for the company and produce the best products possible.

Now lets say you were employed designing cyl heads for Chrysler. And you also had a business selling CNC'd and/or hand ported cyl head. Now could you have financial gain by designing a sub par cyl head that would leave opportunity for your Cly porting business to sell more ported heads?

I'd say the opportunity is there. And the company does not want even the possibility of that. Nor the company having to spend time and resources qualifying who is or could be hurting the company designs for own personal gains.

Re: Mark stielow Camaro vs tim werners valiant [Re: autoxcuda] #1568647
01/29/14 01:53 AM
01/29/14 01:53 AM
Nebraska
72Swinger Offline
master
72Swinger  Offline
master

Nebraska
Chrysler used to be a little more easy going with letting the engineers play outside the box "after hours". What was his name? Jimmy Addison? The Silver Bullet GTX? Here kid take the latest and greatest a$$ kicking technology and go do some spanking.

Mopar to the bone!!!
Re: Mark stielow Camaro vs tim werners valiant [Re: autoxcuda] #1568648
01/29/14 01:58 AM
01/29/14 01:58 AM
Plano, Texas
68cuda440 Offline
enthusiast
68cuda440  Offline
enthusiast

Plano, Texas
Quote:

I'm thinking conflict of interests. You are at paid at work to make money for the company and produce the best products possible.

The comment was in jest. Anyway the real issue is that you are using company resources to profit yourself and not the company. For the most part any IP you develop belongs to your employer. If you use their resources and it is in the same line of business then legally they own your work. If you use their resources and it is not in their line of business it starts to become gray. If you do not use their resources and it is not in their line of business then you are most likely clear. It may also be dependent on your employment contract if you have such a thing. Partly in jest, one could argue that since Chrysler is pretty much absent with little meaningful presence in the aftermarket (especially compared to Ford or Chevrolet) that anything developed for the aftermarket is not related to their business.

Where I work, if I am to invent or desire to market something under my terms of employment I would first be obligated to my employer to give them first right of refusal. My employer is pretty fair in the sense that if it is not a business they have interest in they give you a pass. If it is, they will help you with the patent work and give you awards proportional to the financial impact. Likewise if I am involved in or have part ownership in a business that is in no way related or serves my company that is OK as long as I disclose this to them up front. For example, we own part of an irrigation supply wholesaler and my employer makes computer chips. Pretty clear this is not a conflict of interest.

Re: Mark stielow Camaro vs tim werners valiant [Re: 68cuda440] #1568649
02/02/14 07:59 PM
02/02/14 07:59 PM
Nevada
D
dezduster Offline
pro stock
dezduster  Offline
pro stock
D

Nevada
Would camber help in the rear? I remember Rusty Wallace of NASCAR got caught using some sort of trickery to camber the passenger side wheel on the rear. I never saw how but my thoughts were full float rear and a CV inside. Certainly this could help a solid rear perform better to a small degree.

Oh I am excited to see the return of the Flying Green Brick. One of my favorite cars and stories.

So something like this could add some toe in also.
http://www.racefactoryinc.com/racegarage/cvdriveplate.jpg

Last edited by dezduster; 02/02/14 08:29 PM.
Re: Mark stielow Camaro vs tim werners valiant [Re: dezduster] #1568650
02/02/14 08:09 PM
02/02/14 08:09 PM
Garden Grove, CA
OzHemi Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger
OzHemi  Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger

Garden Grove, CA
Quote:

Would camber help in the rear? I remember Rusty Wallace of NASCAR got caught using some sort of trickery to camber the passenger side wheel on the rear. I never saw how but my thoughts were full float rear and a CV inside. Certainly this could help a solid rear perform better to a small degree.

Rear camber is easy...

http://www.msfracingcomponents.com.au/camberedfullfloaters/

Re: Mark stielow Camaro vs tim werners valiant [Re: OzHemi] #1568651
02/02/14 08:31 PM
02/02/14 08:31 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

Quote:

Rear camber is easy...

That's big bucks.

The circle track guys to it with thier floater rears by having beveled splined ends on thier axles. Then just bend (heat/weld quench) the axle tubes.

You can get 1/8 degree just bending the banjo housing of a stock rear. It's not going to explode. But not going 100K miles either. I've heard of dedicated autocross cars getting 1/4 deg or more out of a stock straight axle. Trailered race cars basically.

Re: Mark stielow Camaro vs tim werners valiant [Re: OzHemi] #1568652
02/02/14 08:34 PM
02/02/14 08:34 PM
Nevada
D
dezduster Offline
pro stock
dezduster  Offline
pro stock
D

Nevada
After I posted I went looking. Sure enough lots of builders to choose from. Possibly the next step for an aggressively driven solid axled daily driver track car.
For those with the means and desire to up the ante. http://www.racefactoryinc.com/racegarage/cvdriveplate.jpg

Last edited by dezduster; 02/02/14 08:39 PM.
Re: Mark stielow Camaro vs tim werners valiant [Re: autoxcuda] #1568653
02/02/14 09:26 PM
02/02/14 09:26 PM
Garden Grove, CA
OzHemi Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger
OzHemi  Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger

Garden Grove, CA
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Rear camber is easy...

That's big bucks.

The circle track guys to it with thier floater rears by having beveled splined ends on thier axles. Then just bend (heat/weld quench) the axle tubes.

You can get 1/8 degree just bending the banjo housing of a stock rear. It's not going to explode. But not going 100K miles either. I've heard of dedicated autocross cars getting 1/4 deg or more out of a stock straight axle. Trailered race cars basically.

Road racing in Oz isn't cheap... but it is quite popular. Lots of cars built for it, sicne there are quite a few not only track, but open road races as well.

Re: Mark stielow Camaro vs tim werners valiant [Re: kotacars] #1568654
07/24/14 11:43 AM
07/24/14 11:43 AM
Pikes Peak Country
T
TC@HP2 Offline
master
TC@HP2  Offline
master
T

Pikes Peak Country
Quote:

I was hoping this thread would see some good ideas but I think someone has already said it. The mopar guys are to cheap or don t like change/different the point was there is no need to cut the car up or continue to use stock type parts to make it handle.

From my perspective, I see it as the original Mopar designs being much more capable and not requiring as much work to be effective as the original Chevy and Ford designs. Think about it, in 1966 when Trans Am first started and was predominately independants, Chrysler won 50% of the O-2 races. Once Ford and Chevy stepped in and began lobbying for rule changes to allow changes to pick up points and alterations to the stock layouts, only then did they begin the dominance that carried through the rest of the series. That upgrade and modification mindset has continued to this day to overcome OEM design deficits. That isn't to say Mopar doesn't have their own issues, but we tend to start at a much higher point in the curve.

Quote:

My car currently is all mopar old and new but I plan to upgrade it using DSE parts due to the fact I have taking it as far as it can go with simple bolt on parts.

So, I see it this way...if you are using all DSE parts then the only real difference between your car and any Camaro will be the sheetmetal. If that is the objective, why not just start with a Howe chassis and hang the sheetmetal on it and make it easier to build and work on them messing around with the stock unibody structure?

This is part of my issue with "pro-touring" as a genre. The group think mentality that only new is worth a crap and the level of modification is such that so many guys are running such similar set ups, where is the real ingenuity and variety in equipment? How many $100k cars can be outrun by a $10k, well thought out and refined stock set up? Probably more than a few. I think Mary Pozzi has proven that theory out several times over.

If you have topped out your car in bolt on equipment, then get creative with engineering, geometry and fabrication. The biggest issue I see with a stock Mopar front suspension is the whole caster/camber compromise and the lack of t-bar rates, which actually lends itself well to the big bar, soft spring approach and the shock technology is there to support it.

Simply adapting DSE equipment to a Mopar is a comparable cop out to just buying a Camaro and bolting on DSE parts. It just takes a bit more cutting to do what your suggesting.

Re: Mark stielow Camaro vs tim werners valiant [Re: TC@HP2] #1568655
07/24/14 12:26 PM
07/24/14 12:26 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
J

Bitopia
I'm so old school that I feel the spirit and intent of hot rodding is tossed aside when using abs, traction control, etc and then trying to compare cars/driving talent.

I'm not arguing its safer, its progress, its neat, but it mainly de-emphasizes the human component and amplifies the wallet factor, and we know where that leads.

Guess everyone has to play to their strengths. I also guess we could go back to wagon racing. I still don't have to like it.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: Mark stielow Camaro vs tim werners valiant [Re: jcc] #1568656
07/24/14 01:00 PM
07/24/14 01:00 PM
On The Boat, On The Lake, Wa. ...
amxautox Offline
Still Retired. Still Posting on Moparts. A Lot.
amxautox  Offline

But one thing I have to contend with is the VERY lousy trunion front suspension on the '69 and earlier AMC cars. Replacing that with a front coil over would be more for safety so it doesn't fold over under hard cornering rather than JUST for added capability for higher speeds in the corners. On the autocross course I've gotten acolades because of how good the AMX handles, but on a road course I don't think the front suspension would last a lap or 2.

Tom

"Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing."

-Henry David Thoreau

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

author unknown

Re: Mark stielow Camaro vs tim werners valiant [Re: amxautox] #1568657
07/24/14 01:02 PM
07/24/14 01:02 PM
Irving, TX
feets Offline
Senior Management
feets  Offline
Senior Management

Irving, TX
Quote:

But one thing I have to contend with is the VERY lousy trunion front suspension on the '69 and earlier AMC cars. Replacing that with a front coil over would be more for safely so it doesn't fold over under hard cornering rather than JUST for added capability for higher speeds in the corners.

If you ran a REAL car...

We are brothers and sisters doing time on the planet for better or worse. I'll take the better, if you don't mind.
- Stu Harmon
Re: Mark stielow Camaro vs tim werners valiant [Re: feets] #1568658
07/24/14 01:03 PM
07/24/14 01:03 PM
amxautox Offline
amxautox  Offline

Quote:

Quote:

But one thing I have to contend with is the VERY lousy trunion front suspension on the '69 and earlier AMC cars. Replacing that with a front coil over would be more for safely so it doesn't fold over under hard cornering rather than JUST for added capability for higher speeds in the corners.

If you ran a REAL car...

But I don't want to lower myself to a Mopar.

Tom

-Henry David Thoreau

author unknown

Re: Mark stielow Camaro vs tim werners valiant [Re: amxautox] #1568659
07/25/14 02:33 PM
07/25/14 02:33 PM
NW Chicago suburban area
Mopar Mitch Offline
pro stock
Mopar Mitch  Offline
pro stock

NW Chicago suburban area
The 2-seater AMX cars are a real secret and offer huge potential to eat up most competition. I'm not sure but I think the '70 model offers more advantages (better brakes and improved front suspension?). On tight autocross pylon courses their short wheelbase has huge advantage. Plus, just being different than all the other same cars from GM/Ford sets it apart.... similar for us Mopars. AND... having the same wheel bolt pattern allows the usage of our already obtained Mopar rims. Even the little Hornet/Spirit cars have the short wheel base advantage, and lighter weight, too. OH, yeh... and the Gremlin???

Mopar Mitch "Road racers and autocrossers go in deeper and come out harder!"... and rain never stops us from having fun with our cars... in fact, it makes us better drivers! Check out MOPAR ACTION MAGAZINE, August 2006 issue for feature article and specs on my autocross T/A!
Re: Mark stielow Camaro vs tim werners valiant [Re: Mopar Mitch] #1568660
07/25/14 02:43 PM
07/25/14 02:43 PM
mass
K
kotacars Offline OP
kotacars  Offline OP
K

mass
How short of a wheel base? My car has 106

Re: Mark stielow Camaro vs tim werners valiant [Re: kotacars] #1568661
07/25/14 03:05 PM
07/25/14 03:05 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

How short of a wheel base? My car has 106

Shorter the better for autox.

Gremlin and Spirit have only a 96" wheelbase. They came with V-8's. Would make a interesting E-street prepared car. If the six cly is significantly lighter than V-8, the six might be better in E-SP?

Hornet is 108"

Last edited by autoxcuda; 07/25/14 03:09 PM.
Re: Mark stielow Camaro vs tim werners valiant [Re: kotacars] #1568662
07/25/14 04:18 PM
07/25/14 04:18 PM
amxautox Offline
amxautox  Offline

'68-69-70 AMX have a 97" wheel base. At least I think the '70 does also as it's a 2 seater as well. Weight is 3,100lbs. The '70 has a standard control arm suspension. The '69 and earlier had the trunnion, which is quite flimsy with the coil on top of the tower and a skinny 2 piece upper 'control arm'. The lower control arm is a slightly beefier.

http://www.skidmore.edu/~pdwyer/amc/wctrun/

Tom

-Henry David Thoreau

author unknown

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7